Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

(Credit for this excellent OP goes to forums user semiavrage)

Check below for updates!

As an offshoot of the Awful Kickstarter thread, there may actually be something worthwhile. Doobie's Dog House, who requires a mere six thousand dollars to become a reality, and is run by a very nice gentleman indeed.

:siren:When you donate be sure to make a comment referencing "Team Frogout," so he knows it's coming from us.:siren:
CLICK HERE TO DONATE

JossiRossi posted:

Who Are We Helping: Claude Robinson and Doobie's Dog House
Why Are We Helping: A seemingly genuine hard working small town man has a dream to start up a Hot Dog shack. WITHOUT DOOMING HIS FAMILY TO FINANCIAL RUIN no less.
How Are We Helping: Tossing some sweet Kickstarter Bux his way here - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/657642328/doobies-dog-house

I Want To Pool Our Cash For Great Rewards: Make a comment stating that you are a part of "Team Frogout" and we could have our good buddy :frog: staring back at people from over Claude's Shoulder. You should also mention in the thread to correlate numbers.

As of this writing he is at $1,833 of a modest $6,000 goal. About $1,500 of that is from us.

Over the last two days, we have been following Doobie's Dog House in the Awful Kickstarter thread. We started out mocking the campaign, which only had a few nasty photos of poorly made hotdogs. So why are we so supportive of it now? After reading into the campaign a little bit, it really seems like Claude is a genuine guy with a decent business plan. He's dreamed of owning his own restaurant for years, but just does not have the money to make it happen. He has all his suppliers lined up and he already has a mildly successful business running out of his trailer. Oh, and did I mention that he's willing to paint a gigantic :frog: on the side of his building if he's successfully funded? Because he is.

He isn't asking for much, he already has the property, he just needs to set up the kitchen. For this he needs $6000 dollars. Before goons found his Kickstarter he had $80, at the time of this post he has $1,887. We've even catapulted him to the front page of Kickstarter!

With your help we can push him up to his goal of $6000 dollars. We are not doing this ironically or mockingly. We are doing this to help a person who really is passionate about his business. We want to see him succeed! He's a little overwhelmed with the support he's gotten from us in the last two days, I believe. He's also, naturally, a little confused as to where these donations are coming from.

Claude will use your money for the following things:
  • Finish the interior: Wall board, stainless steel walls in the cooking area, lights, a vent hood with a grease trap, etc.
  • A deck with tables and umbrellas in front of the building for dining (approx. 20' x20' )
  • A larger cooling unit for perishables (aka hotdogs.)
  • Stainless steel tables for food prep.
  • A larger serving window to replace the window that came with the building.
  • Permits
  • Tile flooring.
  • Adding a restroom.
  • Purchase a set of steam pans
  • Install an electrical breaker box
  • Install a sink as required by Alabama health codes.

What if I don't care about a drat frog?
Then just donate at whatever tier you feel like and ask Claude to give you free hotdogs to the homeless/hungry.

Is that ketchup on that drat hotdog?
If you want it to be, yes. Claude believes that the best toppings for a dog are the ones you want, so if you choose to apply ketchup to your hotdog, that's on you.

Let's make Claude's dream a reality!

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

:siren:UPDATES!:siren:

If you want to see the most heartwarming updates ever, just go click on the link and read Wayne's updates that he posted. Here's what we've done so far:

$6000 (funded)
$6600 (funded + KS fees)
$10,000 (just because)
$12,000 (double-funded)
$13,200 ($12k plus KS/Amazon fees)

Next Goal: ...I dunno, $15,000?

What Wayne Has Done So Far
- been absolutely floored that the internet cares about him
- given us our own "Frog Dog" on the menu (we'll leave the details of that to the dog expert himself)
- committed to having all of our names (nearly six hundred as of this post) engraved on a plaque mounted on the wall of Doobie's Dog House (this may end up being simplified somewhat due to logistics.)
- clarified many things, namely that he will be using home-made chili and that he himself prefers shredded cheddar, but his customers prefer processed cheese
- found absolutely bitchin' local bargains on equipment he needs
- consulted with the property owner about landscaping issues
- agreed to a policy of "even if you forego your reward, if a member of Team Frogout ever shows up at the shack, they will get their free dog"
- apparently is a pretty good painter for someone without formal training, and loves watching Bob Ross on PBS

What Challenges Remain
- apparently the sewer dude is being kind of mean about stuff but Wayne's sorting it out
- finding stuff to actually spend this money on: Wayne has plans for a proper fryer, and a flame grill
- Wayne would like the help of someone with kitchen experience to tell him how best to organize his kitchen. If you can help, e-mail soundmonkey@somethingawful.com
- not much actually, this dude is WAY more organized and together than I gave him credit for

General Guidelines and Policies
- only contribute what you can afford, don't go broke in some internet giving frenzy
- this is Dogman's shack, not ours, let's leave all the choices and decisions up to him
- if you have specific questions for Wayne, post them in the thread and I'll sort of collect and relay them to him. We don't want to goonrush the poor guy's inbox.
- we have almost all forsaken our rewards, at least those involving him having to give away like a drat thousand free hotdogs (actually 943, as of this post)
- Wayne used his full name on Kickstarter, but his preference is Wayne, not Claude (although he doesn't seem to get offended)
- it's pronounced "REE-form", not "re-FORM"

Related Stuff / Fan Art

Larz posted:

Doobie inspired me to visit my local hot dog stand for lunch. Here is what I had today from Jim of Jim's Ol' Time Hot Dogs.

Jim has been making hot dogs for many years and doing pretty well for himself. It's his full time job and he loves it. Follow your dreams Claude.

Noni posted:

Here's a thing:

100Dachshunds posted:

Hot dog kickstarter fanart? Why yes!

Machai posted:

Vector frog, now with multiple types.
click for .svg links

:frog:

:frogout:

:getin:

:frogon:

What should we send Wayne for an image? :frogout: that says Frog-Dog?

este posted:

FROG DOG

Bad Munki posted:

Did someone say Frogdog? Because you can just

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Pledging now to throw in :10bux: by this weekend, first I have to get paid and cover bills first. I wonder what he and his wife are thinking when they look at the kickstarter and see, at this point, that they are $2,000 over what they were aiming for.

FROG DOG?!

TX297 posted:

125x125 png on transparent background ok?
E: Yeeeaaahh, that's the stuff

Machai posted:

Okay, made him happier and more awake.

(click for SVG)

Does it matter if it is in an image file? Google can't parse images.

Machai posted:

Relish with a tongue of ketchup and a black olive on the end for a fly. Maybe chop the olive in half so it stays in place more easily and add a couple small pieces of onion as wings.

We can then have :can: discussions about which end to start eating at.

death .cab for qt posted:

You can, but it look like he's decided on getting NEON RELISH

DragonReach posted:

In honor of our Doobie Dog inspiration, the wife and I are having hot dogs for dinner. I made my idea for a FrogDog

edit: dang wrong picture and since I was stupid and didn't link it I can't change it. Meant to use a smaller one.

Noni posted:

I tried a Seattle Dog for the first time in my life, despite having lived here for decades.

The cream cheese looks really weird. Here's an example:

It's okay, but I think I'd rather have regular cheese instead. Cream cheese does not at all work with beer. It coats your mouth too much. Does anyone like a Seattle Dog?

KevinTheW posted:

That actually looks kind of awesome, drat. Never had one.

My personal favorites are North Carolina dogs (same as the more famous West Virginia hot dogs; chili, coleslaw, chopped onions, mustard; sometimes texas pete hot sauce in addition and sometimes no mustard) and Sonoran dogs.

But all hot dogs are beautiful, unique children of god that deserve to be eaten.

TX297 posted:

SVG is vectorized. Save the image, open it up in Illustrator, scale to your heart's content.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 30, 2013

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
I donated already due to the Awful Kickstarter thread, but I just want to add my support to this campaign! Claude has already been thanking every donor personally in the backer comments, how can you beat that?

Jackalope Hunter
Jul 30, 2010
I, too, believe in Doobie's Dogs. :10bux: pledged!

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going to donate :10bux:. I live about an hour from Reform, so if this takes off I'll check it out once he's set up and post a trip report.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I donated! Let's bring a good thing to Alabama!

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
Gonna also say I've already pledged $30 to make such a nice persons dream a reality, the frog is just a bonus. Nothing I've seen suggests Claude is anything but a kind, sweet-hearted person who really wants to sell hot-dogs to people.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Donated some joy earlier. $25 tier. Can't wait!

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I donated last night. After reading Noni's epic post in the PYF SA Quotes thread I felt it would have been somehow treasonous not to.

I believe in America, and by god I believe in hotdogs.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe
Just gotta quote this awesome post by Noni from the other thread. poo poo brought tears to my eyes.

Noni posted:

I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of hotdogs, a block of processed cheese, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually built his kitchen (look at the updates!), done some hotdog catering, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have his budget planned very well, albeit with the help of "How to Start a Hotdog Cart" eBooks. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/hotdog stand might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and hotdog faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat hotdogs ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate hotdogs and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat a hotdog, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

The hotdogs are hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in the tiniest of towns in the poorest of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he has already put every spare dollar he owns into this business. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Doobie's hotdogs, but I want to believe in them. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a very small town where the median household income is 20 grand and the most prominent restaurant is a Subway. A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a rural hotdog stand in Reform, Alabama. That is something I want to be part of. "Doobie's Dog House" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the gently caress happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are actual hotdogs. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry Alabama goon who wants my hotdogs, they can have them. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for meat tubes instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Threw in :10bux:. While I'm probably deluding myself, this is what makes me like Kickstarter: Not only can I buy something I want, but I can help people realize their dreams and feel like a job creator.

Edit: Up to $25 after I read about the option of donating the dogs to the homeless.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 26, 2013

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

I live a few states away, but if this succeeds I'll have to journey on a pilgrimage to the magnificent Doobie's at some point. I hope his dream is fulfilled! :3:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

And I reccomend reading the Awful Kickstartes thread starting at page 117 to see how fast we came around.

Also, OP is sorely missing the best thing:

EDIT: drat penguins!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'm in for :10bux:, too. I hope he makes it. :unsmith:

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is he going to have veggie dogs on the menu as well? I wont donate unless he makes veggie dogs.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
IfWhen this succeeds, I might be able to take the 31 hour round-trip drive to congratulate Claude and see :frog:

Maybe it can be a Goon Meet after he's finished getting established and all set up?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Limastock posted:

Is he going to have veggie dogs on the menu as well? I wont donate unless he makes veggie dogs.

We don't serve your kind around these here parts :bahgawd:

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...
I just upped my donation to $40. I want to see this happen!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm soo close to putting in a Cnote. I want Darth123123 under lamanent somewhere. Will he take a picture? I've never contributed to a Kickstarter, so is this poo poo safe? I live 700 miles away so I don't want the punch card, thanks 45 y/o motivated dude though!

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Darth123123 posted:

I'm soo close to putting in a Cnote. I want Darth123123 under lamanent somewhere. Will he take a picture? I've never contributed to a Kickstarter, so is this poo poo safe? I live 700 miles away so I don't want the punch card, thanks 45 y/o motivated dude though!

I signed up to donate just for this. You can actually just run your charge through Amazon if you are worried.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

well a bit of an update... i have most everything on stand by.. in hopes that i will be funded fully... my bread vendor will deliver every 2 days fresh buns, coke and pepsi is ready to deliver twice a week... chip man is ready to deliver 3 days per week .. power co. is awaiting the deposit as is the utility board... im depending on the kindness of strangers to help, and really that feels great.. thank you to the one that have pledged already.. i sure pray many more share in this passion plea to serve these hotdogs and much more...im so ready to start serving my food to all the awaiting people of my town and the visitors that come through

Awwwwwwwww, the chip man :3:.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
First thing in the Kickstarter Popular section on the front page :goonrush:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I finally remembered my Amazon password so I'm in for $25. I may have made fun of his Fritos and use of Individually Wrapped Cheese Product at first, but I honestly want to see this earnest little guy succeed. :3:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I donated $10 earlier today and I'm tempted to go in again just because he's apparently serving Coke and Pepsi. They're not the same, dammit, and more choice is good!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Just sent him $15. :getin:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Darth123123 posted:

He's been a stand-up honest guy about everything so far. Assuming you don't ask him to plaster his tables with dickbutt, I'm sure he will honor your Benjamin.

Also I'm sort of acting as a liaison between Claude and SA, because dude seriously doesn't know what he's into. I'll try to get answers to any questions posed in the thread.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Do we have a high res version of frogout? If not I could try my hand at vectorizing it if Claude needs it.

e: He's only on the second page of popular projects for me :(

Machai fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 26, 2013

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Oh lord this place is 87 minutes from my apartment. I could actually theoretically go there if this happens.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Limastock posted:

I'll make you four veggie dogs with pictures if you send doobie's dog house $20. And if they aren't proper veggie dogs by the end, I'll send doobie's dog house $50. :colbert:

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Just pledged $25. It's frog time!

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
This is magical. I personally did a complete 180 on this Kickstarter. A few weeks ago, I absolutely tore into his hotdog pictures and then I gradually became entranced, curious, filled with nostalgia and warm fuzzy feelings for this Alabama Hotdog Man's humble project.

I think what we've all discovered is that it's representative of something much greater.

He's not a goon. Nobody here knows the hotdog guy. Heck, I don't even know if he has yet heard the name "Somethingawful." I suppose that is part of the beauty of this.

We haven't talked too much about the town where this Kickstarter is from, but I think that's part of the story: Reform, Alabama. Named apparently by an irate preacher. Population: 1675. Median household income: $15k. 45% African Americans. It has a a Dollar General, a Subway, a small grocery store, and some gas stations. Google maps comically labels nothing but three cemeteries and an airport.

It's like a place we all picture in our minds when we think of proverbial small town America. Heck, if you walk the town there are American flags down the entire stretch of the road. But this place has lost a fifth of its population in 10 years. Incomes, already poverty-line, have dropped 25% in a decade. Exactly a year ago, a storm wrecked the place. It decimated a thrift store (now rebuilt) that is right next to where Doobie's Dog House will be located. I tell you all of this just to make a round-about point: A humble hotdog stand, of all the things in the world, could help this town. It could affect real change.

Hotdogs are hilarious. They're also universal, a sort of basic meat currency. And they're edible time machines. They bring us back to child-like states of glee and energy. If you eat a hotdog, you get to travel back to an age when you thought that anything was possible, you could do anything, you could become anyone.

Reform, Alabama could probably use a few hotdog-shaped time machines.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I should have money in my account on Saturday, at which point I'll shoot this duder at least $10. I really hope he makes it.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
In for 25. :getin:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

SoundMonkey posted:

He's been a stand-up honest guy about everything so far. Assuming you don't ask him to plaster his tables with dickbutt, I'm sure he will honor your Benjamin.

Also I'm sort of acting as a liaison between Claude and SA, because dude seriously doesn't know what he's into. I'll try to get answers to any questions posed in the thread.

I want a pic with my username (not real name) with what was promised on the KS, thats all. Maybe a sign thanking SA on opening day, because this will be done before the sunrises tomorrow.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

Noni posted:

Reform, Alabama could probably use a few hotdog-shaped time machines.

Goddammit Noni! Stop making me cry over processed meat.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

If he's williing to put bleu cheese and or feta on his dogs I'm in for :10bux:

gently caress the haters

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
In for $20. Maybe we should post this over at TeaPartyCommunity and see how many of them open their hearts and wallets to a nice Southern Good ol' boy?

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...

Machai posted:

Do we have a high res version of frogout? If not I could try my hand at vectorizing it if Claude needs it.

e: He's only on the second page of popular projects for me :(

Please do, we need one still.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
This place is only like an hour away, if it succeeds I will have to go check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sapper posted:

In for $20. Maybe we should post this over at TeaPartyCommunity and see how many of them open their hearts and wallets to a nice Southern Good ol' boy?

Goons joining forces with TPC? My God it's an unholy alliance

• Locked thread