Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Heath posted:

Because this whole thing has basically become irony-as-humor's natural apex. Sincere insincerity, much like an addictive substance, requires more and more of a commitment of constant one-upmanship, moving from expressing sincere-insincere sentiment to sincere-insincere action and wraps around itself, back into genuine sincerity. More to the point, this is where the lines between pretending to care for a joke and actually caring are so blurred that we find ourselves staring at a Kickstarter page for a hotdog stand in Alabama that, if it ever actually opens, at least a small handful of goons will sincerely-insincerely take time out of their schedules and their lives to take a trip, a pilgrimage if you will, across several states, to ironically eat a mediocre hot dog in an unattractive portion of the southern United States. Irony is an Oroborous, devouring its own rear end in a top hat, and this Kickstarter was the impacted colon that the snake choked on. The biggest irony of all being that the FYAD posters, who have made a posting career out of irony, seemed to be way ahead of everyone else, who at this point I still can't gauge why the gently caress any of this actually happened or whether anybody really believed in the dream.
Read this and tell me how much irony vs sincerity you see: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571910&userid=95860

The whole "heh, we were donating ironically the whole time!" after the wheels started to come off is stupid. People donated because it was hilarious and stupid, but also because they felt like they were helping some poor dude accomplish his lifelong dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Simply amazing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly the best case scenario 80s movie feelgood idea would be great and all, but this feels like the natural progression. Smashmouth VS eggs part 2. It's just the way things are. It'd be cool if he somehow pulls it off anyway and everything is sunshine and rainbows and hotdogs but even as-is it's yet another hilarious goon project far as I'm concerned.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Wario In Real Life posted:

Read this and tell me how much irony vs sincerity you see: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571910&userid=95860

The whole "heh, we were donating ironically the whole time!" after the wheels started to come off is stupid. People donated because it was hilarious and stupid, but also because they felt like they were helping some poor dude accomplish his lifelong dream.

It is stupid, but that's my point. It was kinda stupid from the get-go. It occupies that weird border between objectively dumb and potentially actually turning into something cool. So people could donate ironically at first and they get their jollies whether it fails or not, but change their reasoning for doing so in the first place after the fact. I'm sure there's an actual name in psychology for this kind of thing.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Plausible deniability

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

Hahaha people are still posting defending this incredible waste of money.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Guys guys when we had five page discussions of how the plaque in our honor (HAHA I DON'T MEAN PLAGUE BOY WAS THAT A HILARIOUS JOKE) should look it was ironic ok?!

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

HUG ME FOREVER posted:

Hahaha people are still posting defending this incredible waste of money.
Not really, no.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Stop giving money to kickstarters some random guy starts you clowns.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Tears In A Vial posted:

Did anyone post these yet?

We'll here is the floor plans for Doobie's .. Done with a cad program.... Once this hood is installed it should start flowing like butter

And here is the infamous hood and 2 fan motors

What the gently caress, wasn't this supposed to be a goddamn concession stand? When did it turn into a restaurant?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What the gently caress, wasn't this supposed to be a goddamn concession stand? When did it turn into a restaurant?
When he got $15k instead of $6k.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Overbite posted:

The opposite of this, and with more fervor.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When it turned out the concession stand violated a state zoning law by about two feet.

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

My nest egg is also made of mechanically separated pork and rat parts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Heath posted:

It is stupid, but that's my point. It was kinda stupid from the get-go. It occupies that weird border between objectively dumb and potentially actually turning into something cool. So people could donate ironically at first and they get their jollies whether it fails or not, but change their reasoning for doing so in the first place after the fact. I'm sure there's an actual name in psychology for this kind of thing.

Sunk cost fallacy, something that is also well-known to people with degrees in psychology.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Irony schmirony, I donated a hundred bucks because I live like 15 minutes away from this place and I wanted my 30 free goddamn frog dogs.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Irony schmirony, I donated a hundred bucks because I live like 15 minutes away from this place and I wanted my 30 free goddamn frog dogs.

Finally, someone I actually feel bad for in the thread.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I will give you 30 free hot dogs if you give me $100 dollars.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Did that goon ever end up buying renaissance man wayne's painting? or was that just the hype talking?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Anyone who donated and flip-flopped to bashing this guy is pretty stupid. If you're going to poo poo on anyone it should be yourself for feeling dumb for donating in the first place because he's still the same dude with the same motivations that you supported a few weeks ago. If you still want him to succeed then cool, but if you don't then bashing him is really just highlighting the fact that you were a moron.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

malevolence.jpg

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

why haven't you dipshits bought him an account yet?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Smeed posted:

Anyone who donated and flip-flopped to bashing this guy is pretty stupid. If you're going to poo poo on anyone it should be yourself for feeling dumb for donating in the first place because he's still the same dude with the same motivations that you supported a few weeks ago. If you still want him to succeed then cool, but if you don't then bashing him is really just highlighting the fact that you were a moron.

I didn't donate, didn't find the thread until the KS had closed, but I'd like to see him succeed. I like little unpretentious restaurants, operated by the owner, where the menu is simple and doesn't include artisanal local-sourced cheese or whatever. However, I can't blame people for changing their minds on him. Initially, it sounded like he had a solid plan to make a little walk-up operation; he'd be operating on a really tight budget after getting set up, but it could work. Then the facade started to break. He got 200% funded, and rather than stick to the original plan and keep the excess funding as a buffer for operation, he decided to get a bigger place with indoor seating. Then there's the hood debacle. His belief that by getting 1000 Twitter followers, the bank will overlook his bad credit and give him a loan.

I live in California, and my favorite BBQ place is run by the husband & wife owners plus a recent college grad who had studied cookery of some sort. I don't think they have an exhaust hood inside; they do the cooking out behind the restaurant, in a big steel barbecue contraption of some sort. And this is loving California, where they have to post warning signs for carcinogens on the door because they serve smoked food and artifically-sweetened soda.

Why couldn't he have stuck to a little shack with a cash register, a sink, a prep counter, and a grill out back? He got extra funding and seemingly went nuts.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

guy in a jetta posted:

why haven't you dipshits bought him an account yet?

They are waiting on a mod to post a thread about the kickstarter to get him an account.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Why couldn't he have stuck to a little shack with a cash register, a sink, a prep counter, and a grill out back? He got extra funding and seemingly went nuts.

Because it makes sense to start out with a simple low capital concept and then move on to something bigger if there's local demand.

The Doobie story is pretty much the classic example of making all the startup mistakes such as starting out high risk and high capital.

Biker Jim from Denver is a good example of how to do things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hJNb6VInOA

Basically having the passion to try something new, making a interesting niche product and finally getting a financially solid business to eventually start a sit-down place.

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 28, 2013

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

etalian posted:

Because it makes sense to start out with a simple low capital concept and then move on to something bigger if there's local demand.

The Doobie story is pretty much the classic example of making all the startup mistakes such as starting out high risk and high capital.

Basically having the passion to try something new, making a interesting niche product and finally getting a financially solid business to eventually start a sit-down place.

He was told this, but Doobie's got all the answers

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Overbite posted:

I will never stop donating randomly to clowns.

Seriously though if you gave money to some random schmuck and figured he'd act in any way other than a typical random schmuck gifted by the fickle, flighty internet gods, I don't know what to tell you. It was doomed from the beginning based solely on who was running it. Small businesses are a complete waste of time and energy.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 28, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

etalian posted:

That's the thing, he had a relatively simple low capital concept--he thought he could get a shack together for $6k, even if that would leave him without the 6 months of operating expenses. Goons gave him double that, but because he didn't stick to the original plan, he's not going to get anything actually going.

It's like some of the families I knew as a kid... if the parents got a bonus, they'd go buy movies or a new TV or a puppy instead of, you know, paying the loving delinquent electric bills. Then by the end of the month, it's back to bread and margarine for dinner. Just no drat sense for money.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's the thing, he had a relatively simple low capital concept--he thought he could get a shack together for $6k, even if that would leave him without the 6 months of operating expenses. Goons gave him double that, but because he didn't stick to the original plan, he's not going to get anything actually going.

It was "low capital" plan since he didn't do a good estimate for startup costs such as appeasing the vent hood demon or how the building was missing easy access to the sewer main.

On top of that there's also the whole need to have adequate cash assets for at least a year of business since the first year is always the toughest.

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?

Ponce de Le0n posted:

He was told this, but Doobie's got all the answers

Guys don't worry he's got three weeks worth of frozen hot dogs and fritos. Smooth sailing from here :smugdog::pipe:.

DragonReach Ghost posted:

Per my previous statement, doubled down. $1k total pledge, done and done.

DragonReach Ghost posted:

My son and wife agreed to forgo their xmas gifts for this, they thought it was worth more to do something for someone than to get something.

Please tell me this isn't true.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Wario In Real Life posted:

When he got $15k instead of $6k.

See THIS is what I don't understand.

If the shack was a few feet too big for the zoning law to be considered a "concession stand", instead of trying to turn it into a full fledged restaurant, wouldn't it be considerably less expensive to pay a general contractor to knock down the wall and rebuild it a few feet smaller to fit in with the zoning laws for a concession stand?

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

whatis posted:

Is this what 15k worth of yucks feels like? I can't stop crying from laughter at work. This is the most surreal goddamn thing I've ever read in my entire life

15 thousand dollars will buy you

- A 2010 Honda Civic
- A failed hotdog shack
- The Blair Witch Project

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Xarthor posted:

If the shack was a few feet too big for the zoning law to be considered a "concession stand", instead of trying to turn it into a full fledged restaurant, wouldn't it be considerably less expensive to pay a general contractor to knock down the wall and rebuild it a few feet smaller to fit in with the zoning laws for a concession stand?

Go big or go home.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

15 thousand dollars will buy you

- A 2010 Honda Civic
- A failed hotdog shack
- The Blair Witch Project
Reminder that 15k is more than an average years salary in the local economy of Reform, AL.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Xarthor posted:

The shack was a prefab shed to be moved to the site, which was part of the property of an antiques shop. There was no option of knocking down a wall. He has not detailed exactly why he couldn't put the shed there, only that it ran afoul of a state zoning regulation.

The current building had the advantage of being available, since there aren't too many choices there.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Look at him, he can barely type and form coherent sentences. He's probably dead from huffing Jenkem because he spent all your Christmas money on a lifted truck with 2 Confederate flags on the back and a loud muffler.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Some enterprising goon should open up a literal shack before this guy even finishes his building. I'd throw money at a competing dog shack KS to shame this one.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

It honestly owns that goons would sooner give $500 to some dumb redneck in Alabama for a hotdog shack than a local charity or like, their own brother. I work with undocumented students who can't legally get financial aid to go to school and the $17k you flushed down this guy's trailer park toilet could have paid for them to attend community college like four times over. That, sincerely, is hilarious to me.

I give a lot more to charity (local and otherwise) than I threw at the hot dog shack. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Wait, is that building he's renting actually, literally in a trailerpark. Like, is there not even a main street going by?

• Locked thread