Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mr.Drf posted:

I cannot think of a character that is a worse match for the show

I think that kinda the point of him. He's your bog standard Daddy's Worst Nightmare character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Mr.Drf posted:

I want to nominate Pi for "most annoying hippy character in tv history". I cannot think of a character that is a worse match for the show, or a worse representation of the whole vegan hipster lifestyle bullshit. I mean papaya steak? Is that even a real thing?

Don't see why it couldn't be. If you can have a portobello as a substitute for a burger, I'm sure there can be a veggie/fruit that will substitute for a steak.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!
Don't read this until you've seen the episode for tonight. However pay close attention to the last two or so minutes of the show.

What the hell did that moment at the end of episode 2 mean? "that's what partners do". I don't understand if she was angry, or sad, or felt guilty. I mean honestly Castle should of stayed out of things, but at no point did he not "back her play" or doubt her.

He interfered because they were having a hard time adjusting to the change. If she is having doubts about going forward with the relationship because things aren't going smoothly while she undergoes a intense training program a thousand miles away then she is borderline retarded. People figure problems out in relationships. Or am I completely misreading everything an maybe that brooding look and vague statement meant something else completely.

Also I think I phrased my objection to Pi wrong. He's a fine match for the show. It has quirky characters sometimes. What I meant was that he is a terrible match for Alexis. He's the antithesis of everything she is. His lifestyle, diet, and personality are the opposite of her goal oriented, smart, and reasonable personality. I get him as a plot device. I just am having a hard time gauging whether or not he's going to stick around for a while, or disappear into the background like every other boyfriend Alexis has had. He's their to annoy castle and create some comedic conflict but what would Pi and her talk about? The weather? Her post-kidnapping drug fueled shame spiral?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Mr.Drf posted:

Also I think I phrased my objection to Pi wrong. He's a fine match for the show. It has quirky characters sometimes. What I meant was that he is a terrible match for Alexis. He's the antithesis of everything she is. His lifestyle, diet, and personality are the opposite of her goal oriented, smart, and reasonable personality. I get him as a plot device. I just am having a hard time gauging whether or not he's going to stick around for a while, or disappear into the background like every other boyfriend Alexis has had. He's their to annoy castle and create some comedic conflict but what would Pi and her talk about? The weather? Her post-kidnapping drug fueled shame spiral?

You may or may no be aware of this, but late teen/early 20's kids in college date people outside their "expected" type all the time. Because they are young and stupid and college is this big new experience and they don't actually know what they want.

...I mean, not goons, obviously. We all stayed locked in our dorm rooms basking in the glow of our computer screens for 8-10 semesters, but other, normal people were doing the thing Alexis is doing!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ComposerGuy posted:

You may or may no be aware of this, but late teen/early 20's kids in college date people outside their "expected" type all the time. Because they are young and stupid and college is this big new experience and they don't actually know what they want.

...I mean, not goons, obviously. We all stayed locked in our dorm rooms basking in the glow of our computer screens for 8-10 semesters, but other, normal people were doing the thing Alexis is doing!

I'm sure they then brought him home, to let him live in their fathers house all without asking or mentioning it at all.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

I'm sure they then brought him home, to let him live in their fathers house all without asking or mentioning it at all.

I once worked with a girl who's unemployed, 30 year-old stoner boyfriend lived in her parents house while she lived in an apartment across town.

poo poo be crazy in the real world.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

GreenNight posted:

Probably what happens when you are rich and you live in a duplex condo unit.

Blazing Ownager posted:

My thoughts are: Castle's back and there was no thread? Seriously TV IV is how I know shows came back on so yeah. Thanks for posting!
There also isn't a Once Upon a Time thread :ssh:

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
I'm ready for this to be the final season, go out when it's still reasonably good.

I hope Edelstein gets quite a few episodes this season, she works well with them both. Saying no more as I presume you need to keep schtum until the US broadcast.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Mr.Drf posted:

Don't read this until you've seen the episode for tonight. However pay close attention to the last two or so minutes of the show.

What the hell did that moment at the end of episode 2 mean? "that's what partners do". I don't understand if she was angry, or sad, or felt guilty. I mean honestly Castle should of stayed out of things, but at no point did he not "back her play" or doubt her.

He interfered because they were having a hard time adjusting to the change. If she is having doubts about going forward with the relationship because things aren't going smoothly while she undergoes a intense training program a thousand miles away then she is borderline retarded. People figure problems out in relationships. Or am I completely misreading everything an maybe that brooding look and vague statement meant something else completely.

How is Beckett in the wrong here? Did you not see what Castle put her through just because he was bored? Castle absolutely didn't back her up without knowing her play didn't respect her, plain and simple; she made it very clear that her work was classified, he chose to ignore her and snoop around anyway. I think that counts as something partners should not do.
It doesn't matter what his reasons were, in starting an investigation by himself he consciously jeopardized Beckett's career as a federal agent, which has been established as a Very Big Deal to her. Oh, and he also almost died, though he couldn't have foreseen that one.

Here's what would've happened if Castle didn't act like an rear end in a top hat:
- his trip to DC goes fine, both he and Beckett are happy they had that week-end together.
- Castle stays in New York helping Ryan and Espo, writing a novel, eating papaya steaks, whatever.
- Beckett continues her investigation; the case is eventually cracked. Or not.
- That's it! No careers are put at risk, no writers are exposed to exotic, deadly poisons.

See that mess I just wrote? Just another reason these episodes are awful. This is not Breaking Bad, for Christ's sake, here the lead character is supposed to be likable.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Castle, you're going to die in 24 hours.

*end of episode*

*start of next episode*

..unless we find the antidote.

I wish I could find a clip of Annie Wilkes ranting about cheap writing, because that is the most blatant bullshit of an out I've ever seen on a television show.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 1, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Yay it's Warren. Now I'm sad Alphas got cancelled. :smith:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Amazing ringtone there, wow.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They have all the best software apparently.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Is it wrong that this storyline is making me miss Beckett's Mom? Can we head back to New York and have comedy again?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Polaron posted:

Is it wrong that this storyline is making me miss Beckett's Mom? Can we head back to New York and have comedy again?

Did you see next week's promo? You got your wish!

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Irish Joe posted:

Castle, you're going to die in 24 hours.

*end of episode*

*start of next episode*

..unless we find the antidote.

I wish I could find a clip of Annie Wilkes ranting about cheap writing, because that is the most blatant bullshit of an out I've ever seen on a television show.
Well, I mean, yeah, but did you really expect the title character to die in the second episode of the season. It might've been more compelling if they'd had the partner get poisoned instead or something.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's like wondering if Beckett was gonna get blown to bits standing on that bomb.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm calling it now based on next week's promo: At the very end Agent Cuddy says, "Agent Beckett, you're fired." And immediately Gates says, "Detective Beckett, you're hired." And we get back to our happy NYC dream team once more. :toot:

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

seravid posted:

See that mess I just wrote? Just another reason these episodes are awful. This is not Breaking Bad, for Christ's sake, here the lead character is supposed to be likable.
She is in the wrong because he wasn't doing it because he was bored. He did it because they are supposed to be partners, that's the whole core of the show, that's what makes their relationship work.

If she wants to talk about what partners do, or do not do? They don't abandon their partner, move a thousand miles away, take a job that absorbs all their time, and then expect that to be okay.

They hadn't seen each other once since she moved. All he was trying to do was bring the magic and passion back into the relationship.

I hope you guys are right and in a few episodes she moves back to NYC. This bullshit isn't just taking the magic out of their relationship. It's way too serious and it's awful. Five years of the "will they or won't they" stuff was enough relationship drama. Agent Beckett's random unhappy looks just make her seem like she isn't as committed. Castle was willing to die in a explosion just to keep her company, and she can't even cut him some slack about sticking his nose into the case. Specially since they'd of never solved it without him.

I'm not saying he's not in the wrong also just that he did the wrong thing for the right reasons.

I see the justification for Pi now though. I think everyone that replied made good points.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me or is this thread twice as slow as last season? That's a concerning sign.

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

I didn't have any great problem with these episodes as 'serious' ones, since I know this show likes to throw a few in each season. But parts of them just felt sloppy. It seemed like they were going somewhere with Ryan and Esposito getting the call from Castle's mother and calling Beckett, then just dropped that whole bit. And the totally useless 'hippie' boyfriend just popping into view to give a one liner "Look how weird this guy is" and then disappear again was annoying. It was out of tone with the rest of the story and felt too phony.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I feel like Kate can't really be criticised for moving to DC, because it's Castle who's actually being unreasonable in not moving along with her. I mean, he's a writer. It's not exactly a job that requires much in the way of physical ties to particular locations, he can write anywhere. Given that Kate is his inspiration, he should be able to write better by her side in DC than staying in New York anyway. In addition, his daughter is in college and so shouldn't need him around constantly. Indeed, while it makes sense from a "tv show perspective" that Alexis is around, in terms of their characters it doesn't make any sense for her to be around so much. If anything, Castle being around to serve as a crutch and an ATM at the drop of a hat could be seen as detrimental to her development as an independent person. If she genuinely did need him, DC is only a couple of hours away by train.Then there is Martha, who's clearly capable of doing her own thing and so shouldn't need Castle either.

If everyone ends up back in New York in the next few episodes without even dealing with this, it's going to be frustrating. Because Castle moving with Kate to DC should have been a huge no-brainer. I really do feel like the show could have done with a bit of a shakeup too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I agree. Castle can move to DC if he loves her so much.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Shakugan posted:

In addition, his daughter is in college and so shouldn't need him around constantly. Indeed, while it makes sense from a "tv show perspective" that Alexis is around, in terms of their characters it doesn't make any sense for her to be around so much.

It might not make sense from Alexis' perspective*, but Castle is the product of a broken home and no doubt feels some obligation to "be there" for his daughter and mother.

*though, at 19, she's still practically a child.

VVV Frasier

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 2, 2013

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I agree. Castle can move to DC if he loves her so much.

But when, in the entire history of television, has 'the man' ever dropped everything, completely rearranged his life and moved cities for the woman he loves? It's only the woman who does that :eng99:

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Gorilla Salad posted:

But when, in the entire history of television, has 'the man' ever dropped everything, completely rearranged his life and moved cities for the woman he loves? It's only the woman who does that :eng99:

The Friday Night Lights finale. :911:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

To be fair, Beckett is pretty much the man in their relationship. And yeah, I agree completely with Shakugan. Castle should move to DC. If it's that important, Ryan, Esposito, Lanie and Gates can come, too.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Blazing Ownager posted:

Is it just me or is this thread twice as slow as last season? That's a concerning sign.

In TV IV this generally does not indicate the health of a show. Add to that the demographic is older people and not the ~20somethings that generally comprise SA as a whole it's doing just fine. My wife and I are still watching it and enjoying it. We did not enjoy the second episode as much as the first because the emotions seemed too manufactured for the sake of the plot. 'Castle; you have less than 24 hours to live' and not a single tear was shed? Come on, give me something to work with!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Somewhat Heroic posted:

In TV IV this generally does not indicate the health of a show. Add to that the demographic is older people and not the ~20somethings that generally comprise SA as a whole it's doing just fine. My wife and I are still watching it and enjoying it. We did not enjoy the second episode as much as the first because the emotions seemed too manufactured for the sake of the plot. 'Castle; you have less than 24 hours to live' and not a single tear was shed? Come on, give me something to work with!

At least next episode seems more "back to the norm."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Parks and Recreation.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I don't mind this thread being slower. It removes a lot of the bullshit the more active threads have to deal with.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

'Castle; you have less than 24 hours to live' and not a single tear was shed? Come on, give me something to work with!

I watch this because my wife likes it, and my theory is that Beckett appeared so impassive because their dozens and dozens of close calls with death have made her realize she is a lead in a network television drama. Her immortal status causes her to seek out riskier and riskier situations in a futile attempt to make her feel "truly alive". Boyfriend poisoned by a government toxin? Pssh, not registering on the Beckett Emotions Meter.

The real explanation is that Stana Katic doesn't have much range, or if she does, whoever directs this show doesn't let her use it enough.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005
I still love this show, I don't get how people can get so uppity and critical with something because its not done the way they want it or think it should be. The only issue I have is that I'm sick of seeing beckett getting disarmed all the time.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm with you. I still really enjoy the show, but then I have never asked it to do anything but entertain me for an hour each week, which it always does.

I want an episode where Beckett gets busted down to a mall cop and she and Castle have to solve a murder at the Spencer's Gifts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lord Of Texas posted:

I watch this because my wife likes it, and my theory is that Beckett appeared so impassive because their dozens and dozens of close calls with death have made her realize she is a lead in a network television drama. Her immortal status causes her to seek out riskier and riskier situations in a futile attempt to make her feel "truly alive". Boyfriend poisoned by a government toxin? Pssh, not registering on the Beckett Emotions Meter.

The real explanation is that Stana Katic doesn't have much range, or if she does, whoever directs this show doesn't let her use it enough.

That would be in the script, not her call.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

:canada: welp, I guess that's that

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I'm calling it now based on next week's promo: At the very end Agent Cuddy says, "Agent Beckett, you're fired." And immediately Gates says, "Detective Beckett, you're hired." And we get back to our happy NYC dream team once more. :toot:

You're good.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I started watching this show because it consistently charmed me. The actors, the plots, all the funny little moments. So wonderful :allears:

Apart from one of two brief moments so far this season, I'm just not feeling the charm anymore. I can only hope that, after this episode, she goes back to homicide and this show becomes fun again.

Also, I'm really getting tired of the magic cameras everywhere that solve the case for them. Super satellites that ID tag you and can resolve down far enough so you can read text the size of a newspaper headline. Street cams that record in high def, store their data forever and stream to every police department. Ugh.

It's lazy. And that's never fun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The show has taken place in New York City, and Washington. If anywhere has that stuff, it's those 2 cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The show has taken place in New York City, and Washington. If anywhere has that stuff, it's those 2 cities.

That's not the point, whether it's feasible or not outside of Hollywood, it's still lazy and trite. That aside, this show is never going to be a critical darling, but it's shown the capability to tell engrossing stories in the past. It's never been above cheap drama, but with the "Castle is poisoned" storyline it's been reveling in the cheapness instead of using it where appropriate. But as someone posted above, as long as viewers keep falling for the laughable "cliffhangers" like we had two weeks ago and tuning in because of them, the show will keep on spitting them out.

• Locked thread