Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So the lesbian is a time-displaced Alex Mack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Betsy Brandt has yet to wear purple this entire episode and it's starting to freak me out.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

hcreight posted:

Betsy Brandt has yet to wear purple this entire episode and it's starting to freak me out.

Dammit Marie.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Also, you don't talk like a ghost.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You think they can tell we're not working?

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Det. Bunk is always awesome.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Sorry, DDR songs are cheesy but they're not that cheesy. At least play some Captain Jack, drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xcUlyB2fXg

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
"Because this is too big to fail"

I love news boss guy.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Woops, Parkinsons!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Bunk's stealing your IRL wife Michael.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Oops, Parkinson's!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oops, Parkinson's!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oops, Parkinson's.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oops, Parkinson's.

Needs to be the title here.

ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

Shall I give thee the groat now?
This is the first time I've watched NBC willingly in years. And I'm... enjoying it?

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
Can something 200 words long actually be called an article?

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I'm liking this show.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Im gonna make love with my shirt on.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ColonelCurmudgeon posted:

This is the first time I've watched NBC willingly in years. And I'm... enjoying it?

A power team of Parks and Rec and now this have just been wonderful.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going upstairs to make love with my shirt on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going upstairs to make love with my shirt on.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going up stairs to make love with my shirt on.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Mike's boss is definitely my favorite character so far. It's also nice to see Katie Finnernan; I literally have not seen her in anything since "Wonderfalls."

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

hcreight posted:

... to your real life, smokin' hot 53yr old wife.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
DJ FOX

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I bet he's super good at scratching.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh god that fish balloon. :lol:

Aww... its over. :(

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

The daughter is like a weird mix of Annie and Britta from Community. The not a lesbian subplot was even a Britta plot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That was a shockingly good show, considering the low bar for 'hey I'm a celeb from like twenty years ago starring in a sitcom that's basically just about the real me with a wacky family!' that was a home run.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Thank god this show appears to be good out of the gate here. I would have been really sad otherwise.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I liked the new takes on old sitcom standbys, like the sexy-neighbor-you-won't-tell-your-wife-about and the daughter-using-father's-illness-for-a-grade. Sibling bonding over water condoms was a new one.

And the Parkinson's jokes. Am I a bad person for laughing at "Where's your father?" <cue shaking balls in a ball pit>

It might take a couple of more watches for me to get everything out of it, but it's a great start for the show I imagined from the trailers and promos.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'll admit that I did fast-forward a bit in the second episode but I enjoyed it. We'll see where this goes.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

hcreight posted:

First scene she has on purple.

Okay show. I am not sure it will last, even though I am happy MJ Fox has some poo poo going on.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
A very good start. Easily my favorite of new comedy of the season so far, the other contenders that I've seen being Brooklyn 99, Trophy Wife and, ugh... Dads.

B99 is the only one of those three I'll be keeping up with, though I'm willing to go back to Trophy Wife after a few more episodes if it gets good press.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kelvron posted:

And the Parkinson's jokes. Am I a bad person for laughing at "Where's your father?" <cue shaking balls in a ball pit>

Nah that and 'and if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go upstairs and have sex with my shirt on' were my two big laughs in the second episode.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
Oops, Parkinsons

A Good Show

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

hcreight posted:

The daughter is like a weird mix of Annie and Britta from Community.

I kept wondering where I'd seen her before. Then I realised that I hadn't, she just looks a lot like Eva Amurri.

And as for the show, yes, that was great. Fox obviously has a real sense of humor about his condition and I like that the show actively rails against the idea of using it for sympathy. Also, Betsy Brandt. :allears: Glad I didn't even have to wait for the end of Breaking Bad to see her in something besides Nerdist bowling. I would still totally watch that though.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

I swear the aunt character is identical to Lindsay Bluth. When she started complaining and saying "Michael" in that same exact disgusted tone, I got flashbacks.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

Scissorfighter posted:

I swear the aunt character is identical to Lindsay Bluth. When she started complaining and saying "Michael" in that same exact disgusted tone, I got flashbacks.

My fiance was convinced that the aunt was cast so she looks like a Skyler who has been binge eating.

My thoughts on the show are... mixed. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, but at the same time, there was some stuff in it I wasn't fond of. The family, though well acted, just seemed like a giant ball of cliches. There were a couple of lines of dialogue in the show from MJF that were garbled that we had to rewind and listen to abotu two or three times before we got them (I think the most egregious one was during the Not Dave and Buster's but totally Dave and Buster's scene), yet I feel bad for criticizing this. I also don't get yet what the hook of the show is, besides "PARKINSON'S". In the first episode, I thought they were going to take it the way of the family adjusting to overbearing dad, then when he got the job back I thought it would be him adjusting to the job, but that all happened in the first episode. I guess what I'm asking is, unless the entire series is going to be Parkinson's jokes, what is it about this family sitcom that makes it special? Or should I just expect a bunch of old recycled sitcom plots with jokes about MJF's inability to keep his hands still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Illuen posted:

My fiance was convinced that the aunt was cast so she looks like a Skyler who has been binge eating.

My thoughts on the show are... mixed. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, but at the same time, there was some stuff in it I wasn't fond of. The family, though well acted, just seemed like a giant ball of cliches. There were a couple of lines of dialogue in the show from MJF that were garbled that we had to rewind and listen to abotu two or three times before we got them (I think the most egregious one was during the Not Dave and Buster's but totally Dave and Buster's scene), yet I feel bad for criticizing this. I also don't get yet what the hook of the show is, besides "PARKINSON'S". In the first episode, I thought they were going to take it the way of the family adjusting to overbearing dad, then when he got the job back I thought it would be him adjusting to the job, but that all happened in the first episode. I guess what I'm asking is, unless the entire series is going to be Parkinson's jokes, what is it about this family sitcom that makes it special? Or should I just expect a bunch of old recycled sitcom plots with jokes about MJF's inability to keep his hands still?

I sort of agree with what you said, but I'm just so happy to be laughing at Michael J Fox again that I'm going to give the show the benefit of whatever doubt I have.

• Locked thread