Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

Wasn't there an episode where some people were chained to a wall in the basement and forced to watch the cable tutorial channel? Or was that another MacFarlane show? I sincerely hope not. Well anyway it was a lot like Klaus' story in this episode tonight.

It was Family Guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Oh it was, I remember the episode now. I had that suspicion in the back of my mind, but I still feel terrible. I'm very glad I stopped watching Family Guy and just watch AD now.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Wasn't there an episode where some people were chained to a wall in the basement and forced to watch the cable tutorial channel? Or was that another MacFarlane show? I sincerely hope not. Well anyway it was a lot like Klaus' story in this episode tonight.
Yes, it was an episode of FG and the cahracters were Quagmire and Cleveland. I don't remember the episode because it's FG.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think being stuck in front of the hotel channel is worse. Satellite set-up is just the same "plug in your box, set it to channel 2" stuff over and over that you can tune out. The hotel channel is a sixty-second loop of advertising for local attractions you can't see because you're trapped, punctuated by a bad joke and other people having fun. For two days or more.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I miss Linda Memari. Also, Buckle is one of the best C-list characters ever.

"Most stubborn bris ever!"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

"WHO?! WHO?!"
*owl hoots*
"YOU STAY OUT OF THIS!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Do people go by Buckle?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

cheerfullydrab posted:

Baby Not on Board.

Cleveland and Quagmire get locked in the Griffins' basement and are forced to watch the DirecTV help channel.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oh cool there was an ending bumper joke. Thanks, Global, for rolling show promos over the end credits of every show.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I want to say there was a manatee gag about that at one point, but my google-fu is weak right now and I can't actually find it.

efb

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Chris Knight posted:

Oh cool there was an ending bumper joke. Thanks, Global, for rolling show promos over the end credits of every show.

There was no joke, it was just Snot crying.

God I really shouldn't watch this after Bob's Burgers. Or any more Steve episodes ever again. I'm not sure how much more backward they can bend so that that boy doesn't get laid.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Repeat of The Missing Kink tonight.

"She's right. You are a piece of garbage."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Chris Knight posted:

I hate retard global and their worthless garbage editing so much. Overwrites next episodes previews and credit tags alike with their valueless promos for wholly unrelated pap like NCIS. It was a better time before American HD channels were able to be simulcast hijacked. We don't get to hear any Bob's Burgers song reprises, either.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It was a better time before American HD channels were able to be simulcast hijacked.

The weird thing here is that our local Fox affiliate (which is actually across the border) gets their Sunday night lineup from a Global feed, ads and all.

EDIT: \/ I'm Canadian. It's a US-based Fox. So I get Sunday shows with Global ads on Global or Sunday shows with mostly Global ads on Fox. This happens for some of the weeknight shows too.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 21, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Mokinokaro posted:

The weird thing here is that our local Fox affiliate (which is actually across the border) gets their Sunday night lineup from a Global feed, ads and all.
Congratulations on your free horrendous Cancon experience! It's abhorrent!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Are the shows coming back next weekend? Two weeks off after just returning for the season is pretty stupid.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Are the shows coming back next weekend? Two weeks off after just returning for the season is pretty stupid.

Weekend after I think. First weekend of November

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Eh, pretty typical for baseball playoffs.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: \/ I'm Canadian. It's a US-based Fox. So I get Sunday shows with Global ads on Global or Sunday shows with mostly Global ads on Fox. This happens for some of the weeknight shows too.

Assuming you're on cable or satellite, that's just what happens to all American channels when a Canadian one has the show at the same time. The Canadian provider is blocking the US feed with the Candian one.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Mokinokaro posted:

telecom employee here, that's known as simulcasting and it's regulated/enforced by our good friends at the CRTC. If a Canadian station is broadcasting the same thing as a US station the Canadian feed is manually substituted by the service provider. It's manually managed as well for when poo poo happens and the US station changes content, the Canadian feed overlay has to be removed. I was spending the day with the team that does this at my company earlier in the year on the day when Christopher Dorner was found and killed; we had to remove the Canadian overlay on a ton of channels as the US stations would interrupt The View or Maury or whatever and switched to news coverage.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

neckbeard posted:

telecom employee here, that's known as simulcasting and it's regulated/enforced by our good friends at the CRTC. If a Canadian station is broadcasting the same thing as a US station the Canadian feed is manually substituted by the service provider. It's manually managed as well for when poo poo happens and the US station changes content, the Canadian feed overlay has to be removed. I was spending the day with the team that does this at my company earlier in the year on the day when Christopher Dorner was found and killed; we had to remove the Canadian overlay on a ton of channels as the US stations would interrupt The View or Maury or whatever and switched to news coverage.
I already mentioned that it's "simulcasting hijacking", but I'd love to know more about why/how from an insider such as yourself. I'm not at all surprised that the CRTC is behind enforcing that it happens and making our viewing experience worse for the sake of Cancon regulations. This poo poo has been driving me nuts forever with awful commercials and beginning shows late/ending them early.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FlamingLiberal posted:

World Series Game 4 is this Sunday. So, gently caress baseball.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I already mentioned that it's "simulcasting hijacking", but I'd love to know more about why/how from an insider such as yourself. I'm not at all surprised that the CRTC is behind enforcing that it happens and making our viewing experience worse for the sake of Cancon regulations. This poo poo has been driving me nuts forever with awful commercials and beginning shows late/ending them early.

I can't really comment too much, I work more on the Internet/hardware side of things, just spent a day with them when I had applied on a job. Big room with a wall of TVs and a bunch of desks with switching equipment, every day the Canadian stations send in the list of substitutions that have to be put in and their respective times/durations

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2000/PB2000-132.htm

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
What always surprises me is that growing up in a country with only a few TV channels you would often see in movies and on TV that America has SO SO many TV channels and yet seemingly not enough to have regular sporting events and adult cartoons on at the same time when these seem like very different things and not competing for the same slot on the same channel..

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

At least with TBS airing the next season there won't be any baseball related delays.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Detective No. 27 posted:

At least with TBS airing the next season there won't be any baseball related delays.

Not sure if this was meant to be a joke or not, but TBS also shows baseball.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alpha3KV posted:

Not sure if this was meant to be a joke or not, but TBS also shows baseball.

I haven't seen TBS in years and don't even know what day they'll air American Dad on, but I vaguely remember they only played it on random weekday afternoons during reruns of Drew Carey Show. It wasn't nearly as obnoxious as FOX pushing aside Sunday animation.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't seen TBS in years and don't even know what day they'll air American Dad on, but I vaguely remember they only played it on random weekday afternoons during reruns of Drew Carey Show. It wasn't nearly as obnoxious as FOX pushing aside Sunday animation.

The past few years they have had a LOT of the post-season games.

They don't have the World Series, but they have several divisional and Pennant games.

And re: why sports can't just be all on their own channels and not preempt other stuff, it's because $$$$ and contracts.

Networks still get bigger ratings than cable, and have more money at their disposal because of this (more money from advertisers, and more money from cable/satellite companies to carry their channels.)

Cable channels, in general, can't compete with networks when it comes to big sporting events. Minor ones throughout the year can be on random channels (like NESN or YES Network for Red Sox and Yankees, Thursday Night Football on NFL Network, random NBA games on TBS,) but the bigger games are going to be on one of the big 4 (CBS, ABC (maybe? Truth be told I can't remember the last time I saw a big game on ABC,) NBC, and Fox because they can offer a much bigger fistfull of cash to the MLB, NFL, NBA, etc...

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
ABC carries the NBA finals. ESPN is the only cable channel that has a prayer had getting the contract for a championship and that's because they charge so much for their station. It will never happen, though, because what sport would want to limit their audience to pay tv?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DangerKat posted:

ABC carries the NBA finals. ESPN is the only cable channel that has a prayer had getting the contract for a championship and that's because they charge so much for their station. It will never happen, though, because what sport would want to limit their audience to pay tv?

If it hasn't happened yet with ABC and ESPN being owned by the same company its never going to. I think Monday and Thursday Night Football are pretty much going to be the only two nationally televised broadcasts restricted to pays and even then it's not 100% of the time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Buck, Wild
Steve decides to prove his manhood by accompanying Stan and his CIA cronies on their annual hunting excursion. Meanwhile, Roger and Klaus undertake a cross-country trek.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yess cartoons.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
A Roger and Klaus adventure? Yes please.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Mister E posted:

A Roger and Klaus adventure? Yes please.

We're going to Schaffhausen!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I can't seem to find a Family Guy thread, am I blind?

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

The_Doctor posted:

I can't seem to find a Family Guy thread, am I blind?

Nope, there isn't one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

YOU ARE WASTING YOUR CHARIZARD!

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
You are wasting your Charizard! :argh:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Two with one shot :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away