Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ah hell my nephew learned a new word: "Annoying"

imo the problem is i cant stop him stop except by lying. i dont want to lie and tell my nephew that im not annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My son was mad about a family situation. I asked him if he wanted to talk about it and he replied "dad, when I'm like this.... Your voice sounds like a toilet flushing".

Been online almost 30 years, never been owned this hard.

From one dad to another: "lol owned"

Your son sounds very mature and honest though. I suspect good parenting.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Mar 6, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's an amusingly polite way to say "I think you are full of poo poo."

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
For some reason my 8 year old has taken to calling males Fudge Cake as an insult.
My 4 year old's favorite sentences all start with "actually"

This happened today:

Eowyn: Ethan you're so annoying you FUDGE CAKE!

Ethan: Actually I'm a human I have skin not fudge.

Eowyn: Stop being a dumb fudge cake boy!

Ethan: Actually Mommy likes fudge cake so I'll be a fudge cake cause she will love me more than you YOU SKIN CAKE!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Stairs posted:

For some reason my 8 year old has taken to calling males Fudge Cake as an insult.

This happened today:

Ethan: Actually Mommy likes fudge cake so I'll be a fudge cake cause she will love me more than you YOU SKIN CAKE!

Please tell me those are fake names.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I know this woman who named her son Odin and I was just like "that poor kid." She's a school teacher too, she should really know better.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Ah yes the totally strange and unusual "Ethan".
Also Eowyn is an old English name and seeing as how my husband is an old English I'd kindly like to ask you to mind your own drat business and stop being a fudge cake.

Stairs has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Mar 9, 2021

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Cardiovorax posted:

I know this woman who named her son Odin and I was just like "that poor kid." She's a school teacher too, she should really know better.

My sister, for some reason, decided to name her kid Loki.

I really don't think she thought this through.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Beachcomber posted:

Don’t be a jerk here, please.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My logic is that Eowyn was the most awesome character in a book series that actually caused me and my husband to meet (at the LOTR Oscar Party in LA) and the books are done so it's not gonna blow up in my face like Kahleesi would.
Also silly me for thinking this thread was about funny poo poo kids say and not about the opinion of said funny kid's lovely parents.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Eowyn is a fine name for a girl. Nerds are normal now, get used to it :colbert:

https://twitter.com/KidsWriteJokes/status/1369574057314770950?s=20

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
"Skin cake" is a frankly terrifying visual :stare:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My son was mad about a family situation. I asked him if he wanted to talk about it and he replied "dad, when I'm like this.... Your voice sounds like a toilet flushing".

Been online almost 30 years, never been owned this hard.

Good lord, that's absolutely brutal

Stairs posted:

This happened today:

:stonklol:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Give it to me!"
"No."
"Please?"
"No."
"Give it to me or I'll fart on you!"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Last week I was playing a tabletop game with my parents while they looked after my siste's son H (2y). He was sitting next to dad and talked about his big "bag of figures" (smurfs, lego, animals). He likes to put them on the table one by one while telling us something about each one, "he's surprised about the bear!", "this one is hungry because I ate his eggs hahaha", etc, while we comment on them "oh was he hungry? Maybe there are more eggs in the bag?"

Btw he calls Miss Piggy "Mads Piggy" (like Mads Mikkelsen — the D is silent so it's pretty close, also his dad has a cousin named Mads).

Anyway, suddenly he wanted my dad to make a gesture with his hand. He repeatedly showed it and went "do like this with your hand grandpa" and grandpa replicated it, but H got more and more frustrated because it wasn't what he meant.

Poor guy had some idea in his head about a very specific gesture that he couldn't execute himself, and couldn't explain either.

He was thrusting his arm out, bent down at the wrist with the palm out & fingers spread. Who knows what image he had in his head though, I wonder what it was.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My wife, laughing so hard she pulled something.

Me: "We better not make momma laugh anymore or she's gonna die."

My son, no hesitation: "Knock, knock!"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

marshmallow creep posted:

My wife, laughing so hard she pulled something.

Me: "We better not make momma laugh anymore or she's gonna die."

My son, no hesitation: "Knock, knock!"

lmao

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

Btw he calls Miss Piggy "Mads Piggy" (like Mads Mikkelsen — the D is silent so it's pretty close, also his dad has a cousin named Mads).

Wait, Mads Mikkelsen is pronounced Mass Mikkelsen? What the gently caress?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

Wait, Mads Mikkelsen is pronounced Mass Mikkelsen? What the gently caress?

duhhh yeah obviously :rolleyes:

but only kinda. its not a long flat A as in mass, its a short flat A. the closest analogue i can think of is an american saying "malcontent" but instead of -lcontent its just S

e: im searching youtube for clips where he says his name

e2: i guess this will have to do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLMZdbVtzQQ&t=2s

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Mar 19, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I'm pretty sure Danes are chill with any pronunciation you'll use for their words. Theirs is a nation all who's default setting is laid back unbotheredness. Besides, they don't know how to pronounce it themselves anyway.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I'm pretty sure Danes are chill with any pronunciation you'll use for their words. Theirs is a nation all who's default setting is laid back unbotheredness. Besides, they don't know how to pronounce it themselves anyway.

speaking for my countrymen: no*, no**, yes

* racism
** ut supra

if youre white we dont care its fine. my friends white dad has lived here since at least late 1980s and he still just speaks american at everybody.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Carthag Tuek posted:

speaking for my countrymen: no*, no**, yes

* racism
** ut supra

if youre white we dont care its fine. my friends white dad has lived here since at least late 1980s and he still just speaks american at everybody.

Yeah, I know :( But damnit I like the disney version of you's.

Its pronounced Mats, with a hard T.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/03/cargo-ship-stuck-in-the-suez-canal-children-have-ideas-for-how-to-move-it.html posted:

Max, 12: “Just turn it.”

Sam, 10: “Just straighten it out.”

Alex, 12: “Just turn the wheel to the left.”

Nina, 8: “What’s it stuck on, sand? They should move the sand.”

Theo, 6: “They should get giant oars and row it.”

Owen, 5: “Just get a crane to lift it up. Did they call the crane to lift it up?!”

Teddy, 4: “They need a crane and a rope and a ramp and a car. The car will run on the ramp and cut the rope and land on the boat with a crash. This will bump the boat back into the sea. If that doesn’t work, we could just add another car. Double force!!

Oliver, 6: “I would just push the back until it was free and could float away. I’ve seen things like this in my life. Like sticks in the creek.”

Henry, 8: “They need to start with blowing up the land that the boat is stuck on, without hurting the boat. Like little explosions. The next thing they need are a bunch of helicopters with winches on the bottom. They should attach lines to the front and the back of the boat to the helicopters. Then the helicopters will fly in opposite directions—just a little—so the boat turns free. Oh. First you should rescue the people. Always rescue the people first.”

Hugo, 5: “Cut it!” [“Cut what?”] “The corner of the boat. Cut it off.”

Dominic, 9: “Push it!” [“Push it with what?”] “I don’t know. Get a giant hunk of metal. Get a bunch of pistons.”

Thomas, 4, while playing with a small toy car: “Tie the boat to my car with a string. The car will pull out the boat.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Henry’s idea is cool & good and could create liquefaction that enables the ship to settle deeper into the water and into the sediment. A sufficiently powerful earthquake right now would do the same thing.

Do use tugboats rather than helicopters to spin it around, though.

I can only find one paper on induced liquefaction to free grounded ships, so it may actually be a bad idea.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

flavor.flv posted:

<every kid is an engineer>

I love this stuff - show me letters or essays kids have written, or ideas they have about something, and I just smile for days :3:

Unrestrained imagination is the best!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

the literally entire gist of the GBS thread :v:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i am myself a British Youth(tm) does this mean i should just post all the British Youth Slang i know

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
My soon to be 7 year old son drew a picture of two people and showed it to me.

Him: "This is a mom and a dad. They're happy because they don't have any kids."

Me: "Well if they don't have any kids then who will they play with?"

(He runs off and comes back a minute later)

Him: "They have a dog"

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh nevermind my bad i misunderstood the thread
i should not post in new threads when im On The Sauce

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

My soon to be 7 year old son drew a picture of two people and showed it to me.

Him: "This is a mom and a dad. They're happy because they don't have any kids."

Me: "Well if they don't have any kids then who will they play with?"

(He runs off and comes back a minute later)

Him: "They have a dog"

Isn't this somewhat worrying? :ohdear:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

went to pick up my nephew at kindergarten & some kid came up to me

:kiddo: whats your moms name?
:) hi! it's [name]. whats your moms name?
:kiddo: mom.
:kiddo: um.. i forgot

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ClementsAustinJ/status/1381378649325101058

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Saw a patient the other day, his 4 year old daughter was with him and remembered me from a few weeks ago.

She quickly told me:

"I'm going to be 5 soon, and I'm growing a little every day, and can you come visit me?"

:3:

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

Saw a patient the other day, his 4 year old daughter was with him and remembered me from a few weeks ago.

She quickly told me:

"I'm going to be 5 soon, and I'm growing a little every day, and can you come visit me?"

That is so cute! :3:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

a mysterious cloak posted:

She quickly told me:

did her voice go way up? ive noticed my nephew does that like "do you wanna come play with me maybe?" its so cute

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
A few weeks ago I announced to my students that I'm having a baby. Earlier this week as I was getting ready to dismiss them one says to me "Mrs. Bravo, when you have your baby, maybe me and him can be friends, when he's like five."

:shobon: : You would make a great friend for my baby! When he is five, you will be twelve!

:kiddo: : :aaa: HOW CAN I BE TWELVE

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

did her voice go way up? ive noticed my nephew does that like "do you wanna come play with me maybe?" its so cute

She did a little bit! Then I asked her to make sure I was giving her dad the right amount of medicine and she goes, "That's perfect!"

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

heard, muffled, from behind a door
wife: I think you're about 47 inches
kid: WHAT?!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A woman with a buzzcut walked past the kindergarten and suddenly I hear one of the kids shouting "ARE YOU A BOY OR A GIRL :byodood:" Luckily she was a good sport about it.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My sister's four-year-old today announced that jellyfish are her favourite underwater animal because, and I quote, "They're so mysterious!"