Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Okay, since nobody else wanted to create a new Simpsons thread, here it is. Be warned, I kind of like some of the newer episodes that others hate and I don't care for some that people like.

Oh yeah, the show will feature a Futurama crossover. Also, The Simpsons will be on Family Guy. :sigh: And they dug up a Judd Apatow spec script he wrote in 1990 and they're filming it. Why not?

Edit: Also, Season 26 is now confirmed, whether you like it or not.

Season Premiere 9/29/2013:

Homerland - Lisa becomes suspicious when Homer appears to have been "turned" into a changed man after a Springfield Nuclear Power Plant convention, and enlists the services of intense, jumpy FBI agent Annie Crawford (Kristen Wiig) to help her unravel the truth.

Other Stuff
Homer's Twitter
Robot Chicken Couch Gag which was pretty cool BTS 1 2 3
Springfield at Universal Studios
"The Simpsons" Writers Reunion – Serious Jibber-Jabber with Conan O'Brien

Ha! "I sure do miss that laugh." :smith:

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hadn't heard about the Apatow script, that actually has me interested. Don't suppose they found any Conan ones in the same box? God, if they made classic era written scripts just once a season I'd have a reason to be excited about The Simpsons again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Please let them announce this is the last season. PLEASE. 24 had some decent episodes in that they weren't total poo poo but the legacy is so tainted.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
At one point, it seemed pretty plausible that this season would be the last, because the stars have already taken a first-time-ever salary reduction (despite still making a lot of money) and it's probable that they might not take another once their contract ends this season.

But lately, there hasn't been much talk about the show ending. I can go either way. People have been arguing that the show hasn't been great since Season 9 or even earlier, and I personally only found the show ending up being as bad as people were saying at season 20 or 21. It still hasn't changed how so many people have looked back at the show affectionately and quoted classic lines like they've seen classic episodes yesterday.

I can give my goony "The classic era ended at season 8, but I've enjoyed the show for what it is despite its problems for over a decade after" speech, but I've said it too many times and I know people don't really care. I'll just sit back and enjoy whatever time I have left with these characters that I liked since my earliest memories.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 27, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Director Guillermo del Toro guest directed this year's Treehouse of Horror couch gag.

Edit: Oddly enough they're going super early with it this year as its airing October 6th.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
New thread, more giffage!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hadn't heard about the Apatow script, that actually has me interested. Don't suppose they found any Conan ones in the same box? God, if they made classic era written scripts just once a season I'd have a reason to be excited about The Simpsons again.

Don't get too excited about the Apatow script. Once the regular writers got ahold of it I'm sure it will bear no resemblance to what was originally written.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
Checking in on The Simpsons after stopping around season 11 or so feels like catching the final episode of Weeds after stopping mid season 4.

Except weeds at least had the decency to become laughably bad, not just... a mildly saddening husk.

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Stay away from the west side!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Please let them announce this is the last season. PLEASE. 24 had some decent episodes in that they weren't total poo poo but the legacy is so tainted.

I have been holding out this hope for some time now.

Also, apprently someone is going to be killed off?

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/27/simpsons-character-will-be-killed-off-in-25th-season

I wonder who it's going to be?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Cookie Kwan posted:

I hope it's Maggie.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I hope it's Maggie.

Might as well be Sideshow Bob.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I hope it's Maggie.

I hope it's everyone.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

Might as well be Sideshow Bob.

Quite likely. There is a SSB episode this season, and they did say the actor playing the character has won an Emmy for playing that character. I don't know if the normal cast is typically nominated for a specific character.

Krabapple could be another option. If the show keeps going they can just keep killing off Ned's wives as a running gag.

A Boring Story
Mar 27, 2008

We're not going to Catalina, are we?
I hope it's Flanders.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

J-Spot posted:

Don't get too excited about the Apatow script. Once the regular writers got ahold of it I'm sure it will bear no resemblance to what was originally written.

It would actually be interesting if they went all the way with it, back to the old animation style and 4:3 aspect ratio. That would pique my nostalgia.

I'm one of those who want the show to continue even through its dotage, mainly because I have basically never known a world where the Simpsons weren't on TV, and I fear change. :ohdear: I suppose I also hold out hope that eventually some fresh blood comes in and shakes things up while still honoring the original spirit of the show. You know, like an American Doctor Who, or that other so-called wicked guy, you know the one, he had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was... I forget.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Cookie Kwan posted:

I have been holding out this hope for some time now.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/27/simpsons-character-will-be-killed-off-in-25th-season

This article says that Jimmy Carter saw their joke about him being "history's greatest monster" before they asked him to be on the show which is just hilarious.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I hope it's Maggie.

Maggie is the best character :colbert:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I suppose I also hold out hope that eventually some fresh blood comes in and shakes things up while still honoring the original spirit of the show.
This kills me because we've seen this is actually possible. Matt Sellman has had lead executive producer duties on a couple of episodes for the past couple of seasons and they're generally a lot more lively than the rest of the season. He's still working with the usual writing staff so those episodes haven't quite been a return to form, but after 13 years of increasingly mediocre content it's high time Al Jean stepped down.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Tragically delicious!
edit: that's a RIGHT triangle, dumbass!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Tragically delicious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Was that a Homeland reference?

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

twistedmentat posted:

Was that a Homeland reference?

Considering the episode title is "Homerland", I'd wager all of my money on it.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is anyones feed screwing up on comcast ? My HD feed is now SD and for like 3 minutes the screen was black.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

dylan14 posted:

Is anyones feed screwing up for comcast ?

My local affiliate hosed up twice so far (via Dish).

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Several directv fuckups here. Fox has to be pissed.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

My local affiliate hosed up twice so far (via Dish).

Mine hosed it up three times (via AT&T Uverse).

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
DirecTV here, I cut out twice for about a minute in total

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

smashpro1 posted:

Considering the episode title is "Homerland", I'd wager all of my money on it.

Never watched it, I should though. Its there on netflix, ready to be watched.

I rather like the choice of Sylvia Platt as Lisa's reading.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 30, 2013

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

FistEnergy posted:

Several directv fuckups here. Fox has to be pissed.

It isn't DirecTV, it is Fox itself.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery
Mine is now smaller resolution and I'm using an OTA HD antenna. It isn't the providers.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Xombie posted:

Mine is now smaller resolution and I'm using an OTA HD antenna. It isn't the providers.

Negative. FOX had a bunch of fuckups coming out of football, your affiliate is/was probably taking the SD signal which comes a different way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did like how it cut to black in the middle of a joke about the plane crashing. I thought for a second the episode went really dark.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Let's see how they get Homer back to the status quo this time.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Oh good, they're going to commercial before the credits. That 4 act structure they had going on for the last few years wasn't doing them any favors.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
That's probably the last time you'll see the cast of the Cleveland Show.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

That's probably the last time you'll see the cast of the Cleveland Show.

I'm sure we'll hear the hilarious story of Cleveland's divorce this year on Family Guy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That was pretty awful. Not offensively awful or anything, just absolutely nonsensical, disjointed, and boring.

I think I got the most laughs out of the end credits.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed the music and how they used shadows. It wasn't hilarious or even funny but I thought it was fun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Simpsonized Tina is weird looking.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That was a very average-for-the-past-three-or-four-seasons kind of way. It would have been below average if this was a late teen season episode. While the guest star felt very shoehorned into the script, her performance was probably the highlight.

While I didn't laugh, I watched the show with my two college buddies who really don't watch the new Simpsons, and it actually got a few chuckles from them. Strange. I never considered myself tough on the show the past few years.

I'm going into the THOH next week with very low expectations, considering the past 3 or 4 Halloween specials we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

They should have just asked for Mandy Patinkin to be on the show again. They pulled off the 24 parody very well but I guess a Homeland parody isn't as easy. I thought it was decent but at the end I kind of hoped Homer actually was a terrorist.

• Locked thread