Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hadn't heard about the Apatow script, that actually has me interested. Don't suppose they found any Conan ones in the same box? God, if they made classic era written scripts just once a season I'd have a reason to be excited about The Simpsons again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This episode crossed from being awful Simpsons into being one of the worst episodes of anything I've ever seen on TV. Maybe it's because I only dip my toes in every so often so this can be seen to others as something resembling 'a watchable thing', but holy poo poo. Critical making GBS threads post 'Dads' is somehow less lazy and more approaching funny that what aired on Sunday. God knows how bad it's going to get if that's the season opener.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

cheerfullydrab posted:

If you think everything past season 10 is not "The Simpsons" to you, you're writing off the majority of all the episodes that ever were.

Yep, what a terrible legacy such an originally funny show is leaving behind. At one point it astonished me there were 18 year olds on the planet who'd never lived in a world without The Simpsons, but now we're getting awfully close to 18 year olds being on the planet since The Simpsons was genuinely good.

I genuinely think if the voice cast weren't being paid obscene amounts of cast, most of them would've walked years ago. Maybe they're using the money they should be paying a good writing staff to keep them happy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Echo Chamber posted:

If you heard this before, I guess I'm sorry for beating the dead horse in this new thread, but it seems like there are regularly people checking into this thread who haven't seen much of the show's second decade and are completely writing it off.

To clarify my point of view, I watched The Simpsons from the first airing on Sky One in this country (just under a year later than the Fox premiere, in 1990) and I've seen every episode up until near the end of Season 23 I believe. Last season was the first time I decided that I wasn't going to bother any more, as the show was long past good, and by that point barely scraping 'ok'.

I just had this hope that due to the way the show was made, all it needed was some decent writers of a similar age to me who grew up with this show but weren't complete hacks to join the crew. I still keep telling myself 'it could happen', but I'm just lying to myself now. I dip in now and again just to see if it's bearable, whether comparing it to classic Simpsons or just as 'a show to watch in a spare half hour' which is what I did with Homerland, but I'm definitely familiar with every stage the show has taken.

I've looked through a bunch of 'Top 50' episode lists but I don't recall seeing any that had any episodes after S10 in them, and I absolutely agree with that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's pretty much why I checked out, I realised I wasn't enjoying it enough to even give it such a small amount of time each week. It's hard to let go of a favourite show when you know it's still airing though, especially one that could be fixed (in my eyes). I nearly did that with Red Dwarf after it was originally brought back (and was awful), but glad I didn't because Red Dwarf X that followed it was so, so much better.

• Locked thread