Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Gundam Build Fighters is the latest installment in the ever-expanding Gundam metaseries, and this time they're not even trying to hide that the whole thing's a toy commercial. Expanding on the concepts introduced in the 2010 Gunpla Builders OVAs, Build Fighters is set in a world close to our own, with one major exception:

Thanks to major advances in bullshit anime science, Gundam Plastic models can be brought to life and piloted in special Gunpla Battles. Since this is your typical shonen anime, Gunpla Battles are ridiculously popular, to the point that there's an annual global tournament. Yes this is pretty much the same concept as Danball Senki, I guess there aren't too many ways to make a shonen model kit anime.

While various characters have already been revealed, these two guys are our main heroes. On the left is Sei Iori, a seventh grader who's a whiz at building Gunpla but is completely terrible at piloting. On the right is Reiji, who knows jack poo poo about Gunpla but turns out to be a natural at controlling the things. The two quickly decide to team up; with Sei building and Iori fighting, together they're the Build Fighters! Their goal is to achieve victory at the Gunpla Battle World Championships, and odds are pretty good they'll do it.

What the hell, this doesn't sound like Gundam at all!

Nope. Everything we've seen so far indicates that this is going to be your average shonen anime. The running theory is that after the disaster that was Gundam AGE, Sunrise decided to just make a genuine kids show to make a quick buck to fund the upcoming Gundam: The Origin anime.

Is this going to turn out like the last "kid's show"?

Probably not. The world of Build Fighters seems incredibly hard to twist into a melodramatic mess, and the concept is so overwhelmingly simple that there shouldn't be any threat of this outshitting Gundam AGE. But you never know with Sunrise these days.

Who's making this?

The director is Kenji Nagasaki, who's worked on various stuff over the years. Gundam-wise he was part of the 00 crew, and directed Episode 26 of Gundam AGE (the one where Asemu screamed he was a SUPAH PILOTTO).

The writer is Yosuke Kuroda, who has written for a ton of shows. Seriously, check that link out.

Why should I watch this?

Build Fighter's main appeal to the typical Gundam fan is the massive amount of cameos from other shows. The trailer alone is at Gundam Unicorn levels of fan service, and the show proper will likely feature every single Gundam series ever.

Except G-Savior. Probably.

As for people not completely obsessed with Gundam, Build Fighters' draw is that it is silly as gently caress. See that chariot? The robot that is riding it is supposed to be able to fly, but the guy who built it cut off one of the wings to make it look stylish. To compensate for this complete loss in functionality, he made a little vehicle for it.

And then this guy went full mental and build a pair of arms onto this Gundam's shoulders just so it could cross its arms while fighting.

If crazy things like that sound cool to you, check this show out!

I have seen the light and embraced GunPla as my one truth. What can you tell me about plastic crack?

Wait you mean this show actually worked? Wow. Anyways there's a thread for the hobby and a guide on /toy/ (edited by yours truly) to help new builders get started.

When is this show starting?

The show is scheduled to start October 7th. The first opening will be sung by BACK-ON, and the first ending will be handled by AiRi.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm looking forward to this because sad as it is to say, I think this will be the first time in awhile that a Gundam show will avoid being a retread of UC plot points. Or, at the very least, the environment is so different that it's possible that such a retread could be endearing rather than tiring. Plus with the fall season containing a heck of a lot of sports shows, what's one more show with tournaments?

Gundam has also been one of the very few holdouts with CG mechs (though Unicorn and AGE have used it a bit for stuff like ships and the Unicorn's transformation) so that's another nice thing. Incidentally, I hope Masami Obari handles the OPs again. The Gundam AGE OPs he worked on were pretty slick!

I'm not gonna go in expecting this to be good, but I am optimistic that it will have some entertainment value.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'm going to watch it because Gundam is in the name.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I am genuinely excited about this show. Gunpla Builders was one of the best things to come out of Gundam in the past few years so if this show can match its tone I'll be completely satisfied. The mobile suits seem to be a healthy mix between old rarely seen favorites like SUMO and Gundam X and crazy custom jobs like the shoulder arm Astray.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
This show will probably be incredibly entertaining and harmless fun. I'm glad that Bandai have finally recognised they will never make "another First Gundam".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Popehoist posted:

This show will probably be incredibly entertaining and harmless fun. I'm glad that Bandai have finally recognised they will never make "another First Gundam".

If you mean "they recognized they will make another First Gundam exactly" then yes. They're just going to make it after this.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I loved the hell out of gunpla builders. It didn't take itself seriously at all and was really fun with good battles so I'm hoping for more of the same.

I don't care what anyone says poo poo like this was amazing

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The clusterfuck that was the Beginning 30 kind of ruined the charm of Gunpla Builders for me. It's just so ridiculously tone deaf to encourage putting time and effort into customizing your model only to have the protagonist just slap on an ugly conversion kit his dad sent him and effortlessly wipe away opponents. :geno:

I'm hoping the eventual Build Freedom will look much better.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
It's all well and good, but will it have the Best Gundam?

:colbert:

But seriously, at least this looks like relatively harmless fun. Especially if, going by the preview, they're including the SD Gunpla shenanigans as well. And hey, plenty of new Gunpla designs to fool around with, eventually. :v:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
After AGE, I thought I'd just opt out this time, but seeing that trailer, this seems fun enough just to see various series and weird mobile suits crossover and fight each other. That and I enjoyed kids battling each other with toys anime as a kid, so I'm sure this should be entertaining to watch to some degree.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I saw a SUMO, so this is the show of the year.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Endorph posted:

This. Goddamnit.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I never watched the first series, even though I was interested in it. Don't think any fansubbers picked it up and I didn't see any raw's either. Well I'll be looking forward to this at any rate.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

Eagail's in there too! And it's fighting that Canada Gundam.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Demicol posted:

I never watched the first series, even though I was interested in it. Don't think any fansubbers picked it up and I didn't see any raw's either. Well I'll be looking forward to this at any rate.

All three OVAs are on the official Gundam youtube channel.

EDIT: If you just want to see a big fight like in the trailer, skip to the last one. You won't really miss out that much to be honest.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 29, 2013

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
This could be silly, harmless fun. The amount of useless colored plastic in my room right now compels me to watch this.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Do we know if Gundaminfo'll be uploading subbed episodes of GBF like they did with Seed and Destiny HD?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My bet is it will be simulcasted like AGE, aka only available if you're in southeast Asia or have access to a proxy. But maybe they'll surprise us!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly, Build Fighters seems like a pretty good choice to try and reintroduce Gundam in the west. It's not tied to any of the major series outside of the cameos, Gundam: The Origin is coming right after so Bandai can immediately start shoveling UC down the throats of western audiences, and of course the blatant Gunpla marketing would help sell the real moneymakers.

Speaking of that, Barnes and Noble signed a deal with Bluefin (the main western distributor of Gunpla) earlier this year, and are now stocking Wing and Unicorn merchandise for fairly reasonable prices. If any of you live nearby one, consider checking it out!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I totally agree with that, we just need either Funimation or Sentai to get off their asses and start talking with Sunrise again.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I really want this and The Origin to air on TV in the US because I wish Gundam was a thing over here. And not just Gundam Wing.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Even if somehow this series were to do reasonably well in the US, you'd just have a repeat of the Wing situation inasmuch as there would be (in all likelihood) no proper followup to build on its success, and the usual confused mess of timelines, continuities, age and tone that makes up the rest of the shows will ALWAYS keep this property from achieving any kind of mass appeal over here.

As for the merchandise, I would be very surprised if your typical 9-year-old American kid even knows what a model kit is, or had any interest in building one. Scale modeling has been a dying hobby in the US for a long time, and the last domestic Gundam blitz did nothing to turn that trend around.

And frankly, I can't see GBF as anything but a depressingly generic toy commercial that is absolutely dependent on an ecosystem of prior product which does not and never will exist outside of its established markets. If more accessible shows like G Gundam and SEED failed to catch on in America, I don't see what chance this sort of thing could possibly have.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Even if somehow this series were to do reasonably well in the US, you'd just have a repeat of the Wing situation inasmuch as there would be (in all likelihood) no proper followup to build on its success, and the usual confused mess of timelines, continuities, age and tone that makes up the rest of the shows will ALWAYS keep this property from achieving any kind of mass appeal over here.

As for the merchandise, I would be very surprised if your typical 9-year-old American kid even knows what a model kit is, or had any interest in building one. Scale modeling has been a dying hobby in the US for a long time, and the last domestic Gundam blitz did nothing to turn that trend around.

And frankly, I can't see GBF as anything but a depressingly generic toy commercial that is absolutely dependent on an ecosystem of prior product which does not and never will exist outside of its established markets. If more accessible shows like G Gundam and SEED failed to catch on in America, I don't see what chance this sort of thing could possibly have.

Yeah, you're probably right. Nothing over than Wing caught on here, and that's a goddamn shame.

I think they waited way too long to try bringing Gundam over. Most of Gundam draws on the original and Zeta, and by 2000 kids didn't want to watch some weird show with 1970's animation.

Even if they put The Origin in a good timeslot on Cartoon Network, it still probably wouldn't catch on as even though the animation would be updated, the designs and outfits etc. are still very 1970's. Japanese classics like Lupin the Third, Gundam, Detective Conan and Cyborg 0079 are great, but kids and the majority of American anime fans don't want to see that. :(

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There's a pretty long list of Things Bandai Screwed Up when it comes to Gundam in America, so I don't think we need to go down that road again.

And man, if Bakugan Battle Brawlers was popular enough to get four seasons (most of which initially airing in America, and the fourth never even coming to Japan) and moved a poo poo ton of brand new merchandise, I can't see Build Fighters not being able to do the same thing. :v:

Not that this is ever going to happen anyways. If Build Fighters was going to be dubbed, I think we'd have heard of that by now. At this point Bandai probably just treats the west as a lost cause.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not sure if I should be worried that Bandai will give up on serious Gundam shows if this is popular or hope that they do, any more.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I've watched quite a few Gundam series but I still don't know jack about different gundam models at all, and the premise sounds utterly terrible.

That being said, this trailer introduced me to a rapier fencing gundam complete with a somewhat proper stance for rapier fencing. What is that model?!

v Shows how ignorant I am. At least I got *something* out of this series.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 30, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dessel posted:

That being said, this trailer introduced me to a rapier fencing gundam complete with a somewhat proper stance for rapier fencing. What is that model?!
I didn't spot it in the trailer, but do you mean the Gundam Rose?

EDIT: Oh, wait, you're thinking of the Gyan.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 30, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Not sure if I should be worried that Bandai will give up on serious Gundam shows if this is popular or hope that they do, any more.

The origin is still coming out along with g-reko. Combined with the insane amount of money unicorn has been giving Bandai, I don't think you should worry about bandai giving up on serious gundam.

Dessel posted:

I've watched quite a few Gundam series but I still don't know jack about different gundam models at all, and the premise sounds utterly terrible.

It's not a gundam but I think you're thinking of the Gyan.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dessel posted:

The Gyan, available in both 1/144 High Grade and 1/100 Master Grade scales.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG Gyan is pretty drat cool, so if you decide to get a model for it then make it that. The beam saber has an LED, the shield has an incredible amount of stuff going for it, and you even get a 1/20th unpainted figure of the pilot. Also it's a fairly old grunt MG, so it's pretty cheap! You can probably find it for around $40 or so.

EDIT: I am probably going to spend this entire thread detailing the models that show up and explaining whatever random plamo terms pop up. :negative:

EDIT 2: V Gunpla is pretty much baby's first plastic model, you can start at whatever grade you want. The only real difference is parts count. It's painting where you want to start on a SD or an HG first.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 30, 2013

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Your first Gundam model should not be an MG. Get the HG, then decide if you think it's fun, and then move on to MG's later.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Silentman0 posted:

Your first Gundam model should not be an MG. Get the HG, then decide if you think it's fun, and then move on to MG's later.

My first Gundam model was the MG Turn-A and I didn't have much of a problem with it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Silentman0 posted:

Why? It's not like MG kits are hard builds, especially something as old as the Gyan.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Whats the over/under on the tallgeese appearing

I know the tallgeese isn't a gundam/a zaku/ piloted by char so the japanese don't care about it but gosh the tallgeese is so cool

e: and I mean the good tallgeese. None of that blue trim bullshit

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

For everybody else's reference, here is an excerpt from the Perfect Grade RX-78-2's manual:

Here is a snapshot of the "manual" for a resin kit I'm working on:

Now resin kits are kind of on the extreme end, difficulty wise, but most model kit manuals tend to look like that (especially military stuff :suicide:). I'm sure we can all agree that the first picture is a hell of a lot easier to parse, and that's a Perfect Grade. Literally as complicated as Gunpla can get. Manuals like this are why Gunpla is incredibly accessible, and just another reason they stand above pretty much every other line of model kits.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Guaranteed. Wing's getting a push right now (hell one of the lead Gundams in BF is a modified Wing), the Tallgeese is a very popular design, and there are 50 episodes worth of cameos.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 30, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I know the tallgeese isn't a gundam/a zaku/ piloted by char so the japanese don't care about it but gosh the tallgeese is so cool
Dude, barely anything in the trailer was any of those things.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Not piloted by Char?

I dunno, this guy sure looks a lot like Char to me.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

pretty sure japan likes the tallgeese considering it's gotten a robot damashii, a mg and an web store only tallgeese II that sold quite well if I remember correctly.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Tallgeese III is awesome, you shut up. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Monaghan posted:

pretty sure japan likes the tallgeese considering it's gotten a robot damashii, a mg and an web store only tallgeese II that sold quite well if I remember correctly.

Oh cool. Someone posted in the gundam thread gundams, zakus and chars are the only things that ever get any love. Those guys know a lot more about gundams than me so, I just kinda took it at face value :shobon:

TaurusOxford posted:

Tallgeese III is awesome, you shut up. :colbert:

Yeah, for a clown to pilot at the circus. White, black and gold are all you need.

• Locked thread