Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like Gus.

Also this is great.

"and you should work in my coal mine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
"She's hating it."
:haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

And you should work in my coal mine!

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
That bird likes to chirp!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
"I want to say it's a plane you can see, but that can't be right..."

For some reason that seems more like a Gene line to me, but it cracked me up the way Louise said it.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
Ohduckduckduckduckduck

Ohduckduckduckduckduck

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe he supplies skirts... on the plane.

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

Nothing like seeing a good dock, huh dad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What the hell's a lute?

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
I got the stuff grapes grow up to be, right here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Why would you headbutt me?
I was going to punch you but I'm holding wine.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
Linda is awesome.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I've missed this silliness

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Reading this thread while an episode's on is like a wonderful dream.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Why would you headbutt me?
I was going to punch you but I'm holding wine.

I love the jokes about Linda "having fun".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Women don't want to be tricked into having sex!
When you say it like that it sounds creepy.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
Ow! You punched my butt!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Ow, you punched mu butt!

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

You punched my butt!

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Just when you think it's done, it picks right back up! :munch:

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE THIS CONVERSATION LATER!!!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I feel like Amelia Aerheart! OH GOD SHE DIED!

Oh gods I've missed this show.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Landing with his penis again

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Looks like Kurt's trying to land with his penis, again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

smashpro1 posted:

Just when you think it's done, it picks right back up! :munch:

Thread title proved once again.

Wow, that's awesome.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ahh that was so good!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I don't know how well it would loop, but a gif of Tina flying over the boys would be fantastic.

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

Something about Quippiquisset Island makes people extremely horny

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
Gene never fails to make me laugh, even with the simplest poo poo

Soooooooo, how was your lessssooooon?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I've been loving this show for years now, but I have to admit an increasing criticism is growing on me: why are they in so many loving life-threatening situations now? It's getting a wee bit stale.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
This one and the camping episode coming so close together might be prejudicing me against "Seaplane!" Both episodes didn't really feel like the BB universe -- "A River Runs Through Bob" because Bob felt like a standard dull sitcom dad, and both episodes could have used a couple more writing drafts to tighten up the plotting and add more funny. Both had okay premises that didn't quite get squeezed for all their potential, I think. More jokes about food, puberty, and laser tag, please.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My main problem with the camping episode was I find it unbelievable Bob wouldn't know how to cook a fish to at least the point where it wouldn't get him sick, or at least recognize when a piece of food is inedible and unsafe to eat. I mean he's supposed to be a good cook, he owns a restaurant and is a beefartist. But I loved the seaplane episode. Love Linda and her headbutt.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

"Seaplane" was nice, but I hope they go back to restaurant-related episodes. I want to see Bob's next plan to drum up business, more Burgers-Of-the-Day, and peeing races with Jimmy Pesto.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Home Movies struggled in season 4 so I'm a bit worried about Bob's Burgers. Fort Night was great but this episode and the camping one fell kind of flat.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

tractor fanatic posted:

Home Movies struggled in season 4 so I'm a bit worried about Bob's Burgers. Fort Night was great but this episode and the camping one fell kind of flat.

My hope is these two flat episodes are just the writers experimenting and seeing how they can expand the world of the show. BB's strength is realistic family interaction stretched into wacky lengths, and top-notch comedy plotting that tightens the screws into well-earned third act chaos. Think of Bob accidentally taking the food critic hostage, or Bob attacking Darryl's bully while in a K-hole, or Linda's breakdown at the grocery store, or the kids almost getting crushed by the loading ramp in their fort, aggressively silly situations that were earned by the plotting and really, really funny. Bob and Linda falling into a river and Bob cutting the rope from the pontoon of the plane didn't feel earned; they were just randomly wacky. I dunno. I don't think I have the vocabulary to communicate what I think I sense the change is in the writing. I just hope it's temporary growing pains.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Time Cowboy posted:

My hope is these two flat episodes are just the writers experimenting and seeing how they can expand the world of the show. BB's strength is realistic family interaction stretched into wacky lengths, and top-notch comedy plotting that tightens the screws into well-earned third act chaos. Think of Bob accidentally taking the food critic hostage, or Bob attacking Darryl's bully while in a K-hole, or Linda's breakdown at the grocery store, or the kids almost getting crushed by the loading ramp in their fort, aggressively silly situations that were earned by the plotting and really, really funny. Bob and Linda falling into a river and Bob cutting the rope from the pontoon of the plane didn't feel earned; they were just randomly wacky. I dunno. I don't think I have the vocabulary to communicate what I think I sense the change is in the writing. I just hope it's temporary growing pains.

Weren't the first few episodes of this season originally produced or planned for the last season? I think I would feel better about "River" and "Seaplane" if they came in the midst of other episodes, not as first episodes after long (end of season, then baseball-related) absences. Maybe that's what they were hoping to do, before the inevitable Fox schedule dickery.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
See I thought the Bob cutting the rope part had legitimate dramatic tension and was a pretty good action adventure set piece, while still feeling like Bob's Burgers with his children yelling at him to give him a percentage, him being extremely bad at actually cutting it (adding to the tension), and immediately puking. I absolutely don't mind them going to that wheelhouse because they're pretty good at it.

Despite knowing intellectually no one would be hurt, the shots of that bridge getting closer and that rope looking no thinner actually had me on the edge of my seat. You could say they successfully suspended my disbelief.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
People overanalyzing cartoons up in here. That was a pretty good episode.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I enjoyed the camping episode and the Halloween episode was great, but this one fell flat for me. I didn't have a problem with the plot so much as the dialog. It seemed like everyone was constantly jabbering and delivering one-liners. The kids' dialog in particular sounded like it was written by someone who learned everything they know about the show from Wikipedia.

e.
"Tina is awkward, monosyllabic and likes boys. So uh -- Let's have her be really excited about going to 'Quickiekissit' and then do absolutely nothing with that once she's there, but we can squeeze out a laugh by having her jump out of the plane and swim to the dock because she doesn't understand sarcasm. Yeah."

Maybe there were just too many characters in this episode who were along for the ride. They could have simplified it if it was just Bob and Mr. Fischoeder chasing Linda and the pilot, and leave the kids back in the restaurant with Teddy for the b-plot.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Spent most of the episode waiting for another Ghibli reference because in my mind seaplanes + animation will always equal Porco Rosso. Oh well.

• Locked thread