Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GLOSS posted:

That may have been my favorite episode yet, the only disappointment is the last scene didn't give us BumbleRaven as well...

I wish the prog rock song was longer, but yeah, excellent episode and an absolutely insane finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like that they had the same song they did for Santa last time.

Well it is his famous song, after all.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

FilthyImp posted:

Was WT some make a wish thing?

Also, I like the old TT, Young Justice ("yesssssss. All according to The Light's plaaaaaaaaaan.) and TTG. Don't know why it gets poo poo on so much, unless the ol' TT fans were in grade school when it was out.

The internet hates change and they hate things marketed to people younger than them that resemble things they used to know.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rand Brittain posted:

I keep thinking they're going to have to tone Robin's insanity down at some point, and they keep finding ways to ratchet it up.

I know, time machines!

I can't believe that plain (basically) worked, every time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

There's gonna be a five night event where the Titans are stranded on an island parody Gilligan's Island.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

PS, we're at the zoo

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gilligan's goddamn island

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Today's episode is a parody of 'survival' reality TV shows.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rand Brittain posted:

It definitely seemed like a reference to something, given that she immediately dropped her normal personality to go full-tilt into the coconut cream pie gag.

She's Mary Ann in the extended Gilligan reference. Was Mary Ann obsessed with pies or domesticity?

She did have a 'famous' coconut cream pie recipe.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TheFattestPat posted:

I like how Beast Boy has been the most sane so far.

Oh my God, were the millionaire and and his wife on that rocket?!

... I think so.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

Today's episode is a parody of Jurassic Park.

I think you mean Dino Riders.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

It's Fantasy Island today! The plane! The plane!

Holy poo poo that's a deep cut.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

I did not expect this miniseries to be Five Days of Parodies of Things That Take Place On Islands.

You didn't? I did. It's the best.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

That episode was almost too self-aware.

There's no such thing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bleh, that's why I don't watch reviews of cartoons, people think that since the shows are for kids they can get away without doing real analysis.

At least we're getting a new episode on Monday.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

horriblePencilist posted:

If I was a high school teacher, I'd have every student watch the episode on spirit animals. It'd save them a lot of trouble.

And a lot of salmon and honey.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The second episode tonight was... magical.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

frank.club posted:

it's because the creators of the show remembered to make the show on the children's network appealing to kids.

Pretty much, yeah. Almost all of those 'fans' are outside the target demo for TTG! so it really doesn't matter what they think. It'd be like if a bunch of six year olds hated Rick and Morty, nobody at the network gives a poo poo.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't know whether it would have been better if they got Ron back or not.

Now I'm imagining him saying the lines from this episode and... yes, it would have been better, especially if he did the Slade voice.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doctor Soup posted:

Dub episode was funny but drat, were the characters in the original show ever on-model? Even setting aside the awkward pseudo-anime visual gags, it feels like the animators just ballparked the face and body proportions every frame and didn't ever have a discussion about composition. It's kind of uncomfortable to watch.

Warner Brothers animation of the time was... unusual. They were trying to ape a style they didn't fully understand with Teen Titans (contrast to TTG! where you can tell they understand the animation style they're using pretty much perfectly) and instead of just farming all of that production work to a studio that did understand the style (contrast TT to Megas XLR, which did do that) they just forged ahead and learned as they went.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yes, it definitely got better as they went, but that early jankiness was pretty much entirely due to them not really knowing what they were doing yet. If you compare that to Justice League (which had several of the same producers) you can tell they knew what they were doing with Western animation, it was just this new hybrid anime-influenced style they were still working their way through. Eventually everything smoothed out and things were fine, watch the Teen Titans movie if you want to see how good they ended up getting at using these techniques.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rand Brittain posted:

In other news, I realized something that really interests me about the way this show is written. It has four characters who are basically good-natured broad parodies of their Teen Titans personalities, and then, there's Robin.

Robin is not a "good-natured parody" of the Teen Titans character. Robin is a middle-finger raised at that whole archetype. TTG Robin is basically the writers saying "we apologize for ever implying that somebody who acts like this was a cool, brooding leader and not a creepy, obsessive weirdo."

So he acts like Robin then.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So where is he watching these episodes from, some kind of parallel universe where only unpopular shows get episode orders? I literally couldn't get through how apparently he doesn't understand what parody is and so any episode that mocks the original series must be an insult to him, personally.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

Like, internet, can we get something loving straight?

A dude with muscles is not a loving Jojo reference.

Quit it. You're making us look bad.

Yes. There at least has to be Italian fashion magazine inspired posing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm fairly certain they mentioned it when they had the episodes focused on the 'other' Titans (Aqualad, Mas y Menos, etc), but that was like late season stuff so it might have been in the comic first.

• Locked thread