Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Wonder Twins episode was absolute genius. I was just laughing and laughing forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Condiv posted:

I was looking into this, and it's amazing how hated this show is compared to how good it is. I guess peeps just can't deal with teen titans not being serious.

Hey, speaking of this, anyone want to hear about how Teen Titans GO is literally (and OBVIOUSLY) made to be as close to Friendship is Magic as possible in an effort to capture its audience, and also single-handedly ruined Raven's character forever? And also how it is both preventing the original show from getting it's much-needed follow-up series and keeping Young Justice from getting its third season by stealing its timeslot?

Of course you don't, because you're not mentally damaged. For those of you who are, enjoy a high school kid who can't be bothered to cover up his acne or shave his soul patch before plastering his face all over his 10 minutes rant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiNsIqbMDfY

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I watched all of the short from before the show was greenlit today, it's kind of amazing how flat and lifeless they seem compared to the larger than life goofyness of the actual show. Things like Beast Boy washing Robin's utility belt and Robin THROWING BANANA'S AND TOFU TEEHEE are just amazing tame next to what we have now. Maybe they're a little more "true," to the kind of humor and characterization from the original show, but it sure as hell can't stand on its own without the character drama and action.

The one exception is the one where Mad Mod is trying to take them back in time. Things like the robot's turning into Mr. T, Starfire hiding her 80's costume behind her giant 80's hair, the Scooby Doo gag, those are closer to the kind of jokes that we got in the real show, and I'm glad they went full bore down that cliff because it works so much better.

Also, on a whim I tried to explain the nature of farce and make the comparison to South Park to a youtube person who explicitly asked for an insult-free explanation of why someone would like the show. All my points were ignored on the grounds of the show being "retarded lowest-common denominator trash that just rips off Adeventure Time and caters to bronies," then I was insulted despite his explicit instructions to keep any conversation insult-free, told to "suck it," and blocked from his channel. Nothing like intelligent discourse.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

axleblaze posted:

Looking around the web it's amazing how much hate this show has for not being "serious" enough. Alot of people really just want it to fail because they feel Young Justive was cancelled because of it and they're just against the very concept of a completely silly DC show.

I keep being amazed when I try to suggest to someone to think of the show like South Park but satirizing the original show rather than social issues and they just shout back NO ITS NOTHING LIKE SOUTH PARK without explaining why not. Even when you point to Terra-ized, which is the most incredibly obvious, virtually irrefutable example of this you get dismissed. I actually had one guy suggest that the only reason that episode was made was to "cash in," on fans who were SO DESPERATE to see their beloved Terra one last time after the "atrocity," she was dealt in the Teen Titans finale. It's freaking bizarre.

And yet despite how bizarre that is I still can't help but be amazed that people blame Young Justice's cancellation on this show. Just because they occupy the same time slot doesn't mean A had anything to do with B, how can anyone think this?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Similarly, clips I've seen of recordings from The Clone Wars show the group in a big room with each other. You get to see the guys who play Anakin and Obi-Wan physically play off each other and you can tell how much it helps them in developing and conveying the friendship those two are supposed to have. It's almost hilarious how much more chemistry those two voice actors have compared to Hayden Christensen and Ewen McGregor.

I know for a fact that doing everything in the same room is how almost every production over in Japan does things as well. Angry silly anime nerds always used to say that Japanese VA's put out a higher quality product than American VA's did unless those VA's were full-time "real," actors, and I do honestly think that the whole "the group works together in a room," thing was a big part of helping create that perception. It also helped that VA was a full time job and acting career unto itself for decades before that was possible over here, but that's another discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

CuddlyZombie posted:

It's hilarious because although I'm sure my memory/judgement has been clouded with time, I distinctly remember thinking him kinda insufferable and overbearing even in the original, so it's lovely to have my opinion validated :allears:

This. In fact, even in the original there were several episodes entirely or partially dedicated to what an rear end in a top hat Robin was and how he was always working to overcome that limitation.

Just one more reason for the pile of reasons why people who condemn this show as being some grand betrayal of the original are deluded I guess.

• Locked thread