Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is there a good rundown of the "skippable" episodes of the original show? I somehow missed the boat on it entirely despite being a kid at exactly the right time, though I heard a decent amount about it, and watching TTG (and knowing off the top of my head that it's pretty much considered part of the DCAU, even if it's not canon with B:TAS or Beyond) has gotten me interested. At the same time, I've heard somewhere that you can pretty much divide the show evenly into good "serious" episodes and hot garbage "funny" ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hazo posted:

Probably easier to say what you should watch, with reasons, than what you shouldn't.

Season One (Slade)
One-offs: Switched (Freaky Friday formula), Deep Six (skip if you don't care about Wil Wheaton as Aqualad), Mad Mod (Malcolm McDowell chewing scenery)
Story episodes: Final Exam, Forces of Nature* (*it's technically part of the season arc story but it sucks), Masks, Apprentice pt I and II

Season Two (Terra)
One-offs: How Long is Forever? (depressing time travel), Date with Destiny (wacky Starfire/Robin date antics)
Story episodes: Terra, Titan Rising, Betrayal, Aftershock pt I and II

Season Three (Brother Blood) - probably has the best one-offs
One offs: X (Red X/Psycho Robin's alter-ego), Betrothed (Starfire gets married), Haunted (Slade comes back in a creepy way), Spellbound (cool Raven episode that lampshades the IM NOT CREEPY JUST DIFFERENT goth girl crap), Revolution (Mad Mod returns), The Beast Within (a legit good Beast Boy story), Can I Keep Him (origin of Silkie), Bunny Raven (Tom Kenny guest starring in another crazy episode)
Story episodes: Deception, Wavelength, Titans East pt I and II

Season Four (Trigon):
One-offs: Episode 257-494 (making fun of tv tropes), Employee of the Month (the "Beast Boy gets a job" episode which is basically an extended FLCL sendup), Stranded
Story episodes: Birthmark, The Prophecy, The End pts I, II, III

Season Five: (The Brain/Brotherhood of Evil)
This season was different because every episode is connected and they brought in a bunch of guest stars. I think they only one you can skip is the Wacky Races parody (edit: Revved Up)

I might be being generous with these episodes but I'm open to other opinions.

Greatly appreciated. And also, yeah, I just watched the Go! version of split Ravens, it owned a lot

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay so I just finished Legs and I'm pretty sure that the way Beast Boy and Raven play off each other is one of the best things about this show. Seriously they're adorable.

e: A little further in my binge and I think I can finally articulate what makes this work so well. Their mutual crush is only ever put in the limelight, like, once out of thirty something episodes I've watched so far, and only for the purpose of a joke about BB being a dumbass. Otherwise, it's pretty much limited to minor actions and little facial expressions and not really treated like a big deal, which makes it feel really natural and sweet compared to... honestly, most TV relationships in general (COUGH loving COUGH FLASH COUGH COUGH COUGHITY COUGH).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 11, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The funniest part is? Everything the pic maker said about the old show's characterization still applies to the new show. The new show just bolts things on to the old characterization, rather than remaking characters outright, which is part of why it owns so much.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They're things the characters all still do. Robin is still a karate badass, he's just also kind of a lovesick doofus with an amoral streak on top of that. Raven is still half demon, she's just the best character now instead of being boring. Cyborg still does mechanic poo poo and works on the car and etc, but he also likes pie and is bros with Beast Boy. Beast Boy and Starfire are... basically the same, except BB is a little dumber and they make stoner jokes about him.

It's completely ridiculous. It's like he's never watched the drat show.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, frankly I find it a lot funnier when Robin beats things up too much or in a silly manner than when he doesn't do it enough.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

not to mention feeling a little petty and weird(kinda like how Spielburg's cartoons in the 90's kept making fun of their internet fandoms)

You uh... you know the story behind that, right? Because it feels a lot less petty and gets a lot funnier when you do.

e: just in case this isn't internet legend yet

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dunno I see taking swipes at a guy who creeped one of the VAs out of public society as being, if not noble, then at least justifiable and also really drat funny

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know, I legitimately really want Slade to come back just for that reason.

gently caress all the serious plot stuff with him I just wanna hear Ron Perlman's voice in this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

My Q-Face posted:

Tried to share this show with my girlfriend, she loves Beavis and Butthead, American Dad, Archer, thought she'd enjoy this too. First episode that was on had Cyborg launching dogs at the other Titans. She was mauled by a dog once and didn't appreciate that, so I won't be watching this show now ... :sigh:

...do you need your girlfriend to approve things you watch? :psyduck:

God of Evil Cows posted:

Beast Boy = Frank (disgusting trolls who don't care what other people think about them)

This is a bit tenuous, I'd say. BB isn't nearly as disgusting as Frank and he certainly cares what Raven thinks of him, at the very least.

• Locked thread