Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I was way into this series when it was airing and I still don't know why. Maybe because it was such a contrast to the dreariness and stodginess of Justice League which was airing at the same time. JL, while still one of my favorite series ever, took itself so seriously and let's face it, had some pretty bad writing early on. Meanwhile, Teen Titans just didn't give a poo poo about things like continuity or established characters and simply went nuts with a cast who were clearly having a great time in their roles.

GO is definitely a change, but it's a swerve into the craziness that helped make the original show so endearing while simultaneously avoiding the weird anime deformity stuff that came off as trying too hard.

Protagorean posted:

Teen Titans is from 2003? Oh god I feel so old right now
The last episode aired in January 2006 and the movie premiered that fall, if that makes you feel any less old.

horriblePencilist posted:

And on more Titans-related stuff, have this interview with a Greg Cipes that sounds stoned as hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9TqzZP7sG0
I have it on good authority that Cipes actually IS stoned as hell most of the time.

Just look at when those guys get together (skip to 2:35):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn_bTYFnYkA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Macaluso posted:

The book episode is pretty funny, especially the fight at the end.

I was watching a SDCC interview with Tara Strong and it sounds like 5 voice actors all record their lines together? Which is very unusual and probably accounts partly for how good the comedy is
That's not that uncommon. I think it's definitely an Andrea Romano thing (the Emmy-winning voice director for BTAS, JL, Animaniacs, Teen Titans, Avatar, Young Justice, and a million other properties). There are probably some clips floating around of BTAS recording sessions, complete with Mark Hamill standing up and shouting while everyone else is sitting in their booths.

Macaluso posted:

edit: Jesus christ the dude who voices Robin does not match his voice at all
Just watch Mission Hill.

edit: This bit was on one of the early DVDs and it shows how much the actors got into their roles in this goofy-rear end cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcnyz6LMJ4U

Hazo fucked around with this message at Oct 4, 2013 around 06:14

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It really seems like the show crew is just daring the Internet to make gifs out of the episodes. So many sequences are looped so perfectly.

This show is a delight. I loved Starfire's gargle-roar.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I adore the running gag of Robin basically being an insufferable rear end in a top hat.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Part of the original pitch of the show was literally, "No secret identities." Then they realized that it really pissed off comics nerds, so they kept doing it because it was funny but at the same time dropped hints about their "real names" or whatever.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

xanthan posted:

Ok so he has telekinesis, right? Imagine using it to move a pipe into place and then tighten or turn bolts and such? Now imagine doing it in a much more complex way to do it with cybernetics. Like, server and remake molecular bonds and such here to bend it into shape, attach to this, etc, etc. So like nanites or something but with your mind. I wouldn't be surprised if he was familiar enough with his parts that he could recreate it with his mind.

I imagine it was like that.

Edit
Wow I am over thinking a deus ex machina.
That's basically it. Blood mutilated himself to get robot parts so he could use them to psychically hack into the cybernetic parts of Cyborg's brain, but Cyborg reverse-hacked him and tapped into his telekinesis to rebuild himself. They just explained it in a really bad way in the episode.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The blue guy never appeared in the original series. Kinda weird that they invented a new villain when they had so many existing throwaways available but whatever. Good episode.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

After reading these responses I'm concerned about watching the recorded episode

edit: gross

second edit: The Cyborg plot was way better

third edit: Brother Blood

Hazo fucked around with this message at Jan 16, 2014 around 07:59

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

PootieTang posted:

Honestly I don't even think it's a comment on the fans either. I thought it was just a joke about Ravens costume. In a way, I think this is just one of those things that is just ruined by being aware of the creepy internet people who do sexualize these characters, because while you're watching it you are kind of aware of that in the back of your head. It's like the way knowing what a furry is ruins the fun of Space Jam by making any scene with that female version of Bugs Bunny instantly uncomfortable.
You're right that probably nobody was massively skeeved out like Whitenoise Poster was implying. I think what you wrote there is exactly right, and is precisely why you saw all the comments in this thread.

As far as actual jokes though (which is why we're here), I did really like the gag where Raven kicked Jinx twice so both legs were in frame, then a third leg comes flying in from offscreen and nails her in the face.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hell yeah! Welcome back John DiMaggio as Brother Blood.

Oh.. Oh wait.. no

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I kind of like the idea of Starfire as a baby-kidnapping, organ-stealing psychopath

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Speaking of the Teen Titans Go comic, it's important to note that it's not immune to this kind of poo poo either. I remember one of the early issues had Beast Boy and Starfire's clothes being vaporized to break them of Mad Mod's hypnosis (or something equally stupid), so she just wandered around naked for the rest of the comic.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Weird that Blackfire sounded like she was voiced by Tara Strong instead of Hynden Walch.

Xenomorph in the prison background was a nice touch though.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah it was either him or Scott Menville who rapped last year. I'm fairly sure Greg is constantly stoned out of his mind. Part of me suspects that's just how he is, but I think I remember seeing a tape of the SDCC panel just before the big season four finale aired (so like, 2005?) and he seemed relatively normal. It's been a long time though.

Also Hynden Walch started accidentally reading Trigon's lines during the table read which was hysterical. I should find that DVD.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Wait till you hear she was also Harley in The Batman.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It was the first voice of Harley since the BTAS original so it was sort of a big deal. So I guess her, Strong, and Sorkin have been the "main" voices.

Also shut your mouth, The Batman's later seasons were awesome.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Come on man. Nobody's going to defend monkey Joker or Manson Riddler, but that doesn't mean The Batman isn't at least worth a watch.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

If it's not McDowell I'll be hugely disappointed. What's he doing these days? Would he go for a paycheck to appear in TTG?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm like 90% sure Khary Payton is the guy in that Verizon commercial about taking down Christmas decorations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It took a while for it to get away from dumb one-off filler episodes and anime garbage. Actually I'm looking through the episode list now and I don't see a single worthwhile non-arc episode until around season 3. And even then they're mostly the ones where poo poo goes completely crazy (like the Mad Mod episodes or the FLCL parody). Most of each season's arc-related episodes, on the other hand, are pretty decent. The movie was very "eh."

raditts posted:

Teen Titans was really bad, aside from a stretch of episodes a few seasons in. There's a reason it gets mocked mercilessly on TTG.
I'm curious, which stretch are you referring to here?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Derrick J. Wyatt went on to say that his biggest regret was that movie.
That doesn't surprise me. Derrick and used to talk a lot over IM and he lurked here a bit while season five was airing but I don't remember reading that. Was it in an interview or from a forum post on titansgo or titanstower or something?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I think he meant the one-off episodes that weren't crazy comedy bits were the ones that were boring, i.e. the one with the space dog or Starfire goes through puberty or pretty much anything to do with Cyborg.

Also I tried finding that Wyatt quote about the movie. It might be here, I couldn't find anything about the movie but there's a ton of questions (mostly about Transformers and Ben 10) and I haven't read through them all yet. Some parts are fantastic though. He's just totally fed up with these turbonerd manchildren asking him to read their Ben 10 fanfiction and poo poo.

quote:

Hello; I noticed that you leaved Deviantart. Any reason why? Also, can you explain to me why do you like the dark; the macabre and the goth? You have been posting photos related to those subjects on your TUMBLR account. Finally, I watched TFA Season 3, & your comments on "Transwarp". Excellent!!!‎

Deviantart is gross. I don't want to be there anymore.

quote:

hey, so i'm making a new ben 10 series. It's fan made, with real episodes and real animation.

Sounds awful.

Hazo fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2015 around 15:57

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Crabtree posted:

Woah there, nothing that involves the late, great Tony Jay is terrible. The episode was dumb alright, but hearing his voice is never a bad thing.
John DiMaggio was in an early episode too (before he was a regular as Brother Blood). It still sucked. vv

NarwhalParty posted:

You all forget the worst travesty to come out of TT, the Puffy AmiYumi Show.
That's on purpose.

Crabtree posted:

The original was trying to strike gold on the anime fad of the early 2000s and wasn't just made for teenagers, but a specific type of teenager that was in that specific age bracket and time-frame. That's why I'm not sure even the anime dork kids of today would care for it.
Successfully too. They very deliberately aimed toward kids in certain cliques during their awkward preteen years and it worked magnificently-- jock/Cyborg, relationship issues/Robin, awkward prankster/Beast Boy, but by far the most resonant was the "nobody understand me even though I'm so dark and antisocial and unique " tropes of Raven. Loner goth kids loving latched on to her like parasites since she was "just like them" and it drove up the show's popularity like crazy (doesn't hurt that there's a large overlap between most of those groups and anime fans who absolutely loved the crazy deformed faces).

Most of those kids grew out of it by the time the show ended, but you still see a ton of people on places like imgur and reddit who obviously saw the show much younger than we did and are still in that uncomfortable part of growing up, and they hate TT Go because it doesn't treat their personal on-screen avatars with the respect they think they deserve.

Hazo fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2015 around 04:23

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I know, "don't read Youtube comments," but those videos are gold. Lots of "Glad the creators are finally realizing nobody likes their non-serious show and are making fun of it!"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

afterhours posted:

I just watched... part of a Teen Titans episode... for the first time. And it still seemed silly/stupid/whacky. I assume the other episodes were more serious? The episode I saw was about Red X's real identity, or something.
All the episodes have comedic bits sprinkled into them. They somewhat scaled it back over time though. That said I actually don't remember many jarringly goofy parts in the second Red X appearance, which is the episode I'm assuming you're talking about?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bettas don't even live in Japan.

That's the part that's disturbing to me because I've chosen to ignore everything that came before it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

ManlyGrunting posted:

Come to think of it, this seemed way more of a dig against the comics than either the Young Justice or Teen Titans show.
They were definitely taking shots at the original series's tropes (Cyborg man vs. machine was the plot of literally every single one of his episodes, and Raven-as-demon had an entire season-long arc dedicated to it), but yeah I don't think they were targeting anything in particular.

Disappointed at the lack of a The Light ending but I enjoyed the lone tear.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

raditts posted:

"DEAR THE CARTOON NETWORK, THIS TIME YOU HAVE GONE TOO FAR, FURTHERMORE"
Comedy outcome would be that Facebook page gets banned for illegal file sharing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Rudoku posted:

And old Teen Titans fans.
I love TTG.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Crabtree posted:

It'd be a lot easier to learn when to watch if Disney channels they weren't chock full of crap before I can get to the Wander Over Yonders or Gravity Falls. At least with GO, I'll probably see it at most hours of the day.
Is Gravity Falls ever even on Disney anymore? I thought it moved over to Disney XD, sort of like how you can only ever see Avatar on Nicktoons because these networks don't want their most popular shows being available to people who only have basic cable I guess.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Rudoku posted:

Anything dealing with Brother Blood is skippable, unless you want to know why they paired Jinx with Cyborg (or the origin of Cyborg's "Stone" costume from In and Out)
I maintain that the Brother Blood episodes are among the best in the series. I get that people like to bang on the "Cyborg is boring" sentiment, but with some of the best fight scenes and John DiMaggio going full-ham, it's up there as one of the best story arcs.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Is there a good rundown of the "skippable" episodes of the original show? I somehow missed the boat on it entirely despite being a kid at exactly the right time, though I heard a decent amount about it, and watching TTG (and knowing off the top of my head that it's pretty much considered part of the DCAU, even if it's not canon with B:TAS or Beyond) has gotten me interested. At the same time, I've heard somewhere that you can pretty much divide the show evenly into good "serious" episodes and hot garbage "funny" ones.
As mentioned, most of the "serious"/seasonal story-driven episodes are watchable, but there are a ton of one-off episodes that are great-- even some of the "goofy" ones (both Mad Mod episodes are phenomenal, for example). I can try to make a list for whatever it's worth.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

drrockso20 posted:

Really one of the only 100% skippable episodes is that one with the racist Captain Atom lookalike, and maybe that one where Beast Boy gets mistaken for an alien's pet dog
Yelling "SPAAACE RACIIIST" was apparently a big in-joke among the animation department during that episode development.

On the other hand, though, Khary Payton felt really strongly about one of the exchanges in that episode. It was something about how Starfire asked Cyborg if he'd ever felt discriminated against, and he said "Yeah, of course." And everyone thought he was going to say "I'm black," but the written line was "I'm part-robot." And as cheesy as that was, he thought that was a great subversion of overly-serious comic dialogue.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Probably easier to say what you should watch, with reasons, than what you shouldn't.

Season One (Slade)
One-offs: Switched (Freaky Friday formula), Deep Six (skip if you don't care about Wil Wheaton as Aqualad), Mad Mod (Malcolm McDowell chewing scenery)
Story episodes: Final Exam, Forces of Nature* (*it's technically part of the season arc story but it sucks), Masks, Apprentice pt I and II

Season Two (Terra)
One-offs: How Long is Forever? (depressing time travel), Date with Destiny (wacky Starfire/Robin date antics)
Story episodes: Terra, Titan Rising, Betrayal, Aftershock pt I and II

Season Three (Brother Blood) - probably has the best one-offs
One offs: X (Red X/Psycho Robin's alter-ego), Betrothed (Starfire gets married), Haunted (Slade comes back in a creepy way), Spellbound (cool Raven episode that lampshades the IM NOT CREEPY JUST DIFFERENT goth girl crap), Revolution (Mad Mod returns), The Beast Within (a legit good Beast Boy story), Can I Keep Him (origin of Silkie), Bunny Raven (Tom Kenny guest starring in another crazy episode)
Story episodes: Deception, Wavelength, Titans East pt I and II

Season Four (Trigon):
One-offs: Episode 257-494 (making fun of tv tropes), Employee of the Month (the "Beast Boy gets a job" episode which is basically an extended FLCL sendup), Stranded
Story episodes: Birthmark, The Prophecy, The End pts I, II, III

Season Five: (The Brain/Brotherhood of Evil)
This season was different because every episode is connected and they brought in a bunch of guest stars. I think they only one you can skip is the Wacky Races parody (edit: Revved Up)

I might be being generous with these episodes but I'm open to other opinions.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Crabtree posted:

I'm thinking a majority of them are nearing their late 20s to early 30s as they were near or just out of highschool age for this show. So it is heavily imbedded in the last of natural childhood years of being some comic and/or anime nerd that absolutely fell in a Robin like love with the Starfire or BB/Raven relationships. A natural recipe for disaster on the internet.
This but for the grace of God is me. I (obviously) was a big fan of the original series but I still think Go is fantastic.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Not sure where you got the "really upset"-part from, I still watch them, I'm just burnt out from the noodle arm teen drama. I find it refreshing to see an alternative not only do well, but actually become the most popular kids' show on current television.

Going back to sour TTG-reviews: deviantArt has some great pieces too: http://tohokari-steel.deviantart.co...ffles-476835324
This is physically painful to read so I could only skim it, but I liked the part where he trots out the meme of "The creators barely watched/didn't like the original series!" (ignoring that some of the main writers for the most acclaimed original episodes write for TTGo), then admits he himself didn't even watch two seasons of the five that aired.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It was a pretty subdued, mediocre story that was intended to be more of an epilogue rather than a finale (since the big Final Battle episode happened the week before). The idea was to make both comic purists and weird Beast Boy/Terra fans happy. The episode gets tons of credit for how insane it drove both sides though.

Waffleman_ posted:

Basically, the last episode of Teen Titans had Beast Boy running into Terra, who is now living a normal life as a high school student and doesn't seem to know who Beast Boy is or wants anything to do with him. BB/Terra shippers flipped. I know of at least one guy who's written at least 5 fanfictions all about reversing that episode.
Like this right here. I don't get how he's so upset when the alternative would be to, you know... leave her dead.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Amazing. I hope they never stop directly mocking the butthurt fans of the older series.

Also fun to note that (spoiler I guess for the 99.9% of you who didn't play the console video game): The setup for the episode was more or less a direct copy of the big "twist" ending, where the Titans all address the fourth wall and get creeped out by the audience/player.

Here's a screencap of the not-Photoshop screen for anyone like me who was curious.

Waffleman_ posted:

I especially like that they twisted the knife by directly referencing the finale of the old series.
I'm pretty sure in the clown episode Beast Boy flat out said "Things change" when they were talking about letting go of childish nostalgia.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Was curious as well so I googled him and the first result was the wiki he wrote about himself. In the third person. It's magnificently uncomfortable.

Do they not remember that even the original show had an episode in the last season where they took direct shots at the creepy obsessive message board fans?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

drrockso20 posted:

yeah Mr Enter is definitely a moron, not denying that, just don't appreciate the use of Autism as a synonym for being a moron is all, but I'll leave it at that, also the next episode looks like it'll be interesting
I don't think anyone here is defending the use of autism as a pejorative (moreso than any other place on this forum anyway). I'm guessing it was just an honest mistake by that poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Also, really digging Menville's Daffy Duck-laughter.
This reminds me, Menville was on the newest episode of Workaholics that aired last night, playing a meth gang enforcer. Now I really want someone to dub over a TT or TT Go episode with him shouting "THIS IS OUTLAW poo poo, WOOOOO!"

• Locked thread
«2 »