Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I ran that variant in a tournament yesterday, here's the notes I can give you about it.

This thing has an amazing control matchup. It's doing stuff most control players don't expect in the slightest and occasionally just cums huge, sloppy, gobs of damage to their face and they lose. Sphinx's Rev draw ends up doing less for them over the course of the game, and it all ends up pretty awkward for them. Sweepers don't matter, this doesn't attack all that often so A. Charm gets relgated to cycling, half the deck barely feels like it should be counterspelled.

Midrange matchups are a bit tougher but winnable if you get board position first. Aggro rolls it over, hard. Still, the deck is a god damned riot to play.

Some specific cards:
Read the Bones got sided out against everyone, even control decks. In a vacuum it seems good, but my experience was that the life loss wasn't worth the trade.

Dreadbore initially it seemed like this was going to be too slow, but being able to just pop a Jace or Desecration Demon was incredibly helpful.

Mizzium Mortars wasn't incredible, I was getting slapped around by red base decks, so something like lightning strike or doom blade might be better for now.

Purphoros: You having it at four of initially wasn't a bad thought, but I was stuck with one in hand for a lot of time even dropping to three. I just slotted in another Molten Birth to cover for it and holy crap it worked.

Trading Post: Does huge amounts of work, but the metagame has a bit too much aggro at this point to really work with four of these. I might drop to one or two main deck to cram something in that helps with the aggro matchup. Their spot in the 75 is well earned.

My sideboard was different. Peak Eruption and Burning Earth did huge amounts of work. Duress was functional. Slaughter Games made control matchups even more of a joke. Rakdos charm was primarily there for dealing with artifacts, but I did slap someone for half their life one game. Pithing Needle never got used.

I may even give something funny like Showstopper a shot in here as a two of at some point, but it really needs more effective ways of dealing with aggro, reckoner, and bigger things like Desecration Demon.

What kind of midrange did you run up against? Since sweepers don't really matter, would Anger of the Gods be a good play against aggro, and if not Flames of the Firebrand?

I'm thinking about building this because it looks so fun, but A) my local meta is pretty aggro-heavy with a fair bit of midrange and nonexistent control and B) building a new deck for me means trading off all of my current playable standard cards, because I don't make a ton of cash and when I spring a lot of cash for cards, I spend it on eternal format staples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
A few questions for those running MURDERGOATS: Why Dreadbore over Hero's Downfall? Is hitting t2 Domri very important, or is the deck playing enough of a tapout game that instant speed doesn't matter? Also, why no doom blade? Being able to dome your opponent too important, or are they unnecessary because of Dreadbores?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

accordingtojosh posted:

Ugh, the modo sounds are so loud compared to your voice.. Could only watch for a couple mins before giving up.

I'm probably gonna give the deck a try at FNM this week, should be fun.

He fixes the MODO sounds after a little while. In the end though, I quit watching after realizing that I was just tabbing out to something else, and forgetting it was on at all. The constant little things like land sequencing mistakes and not attacking when he could either push free damage or spend a burn spell after first strike damage if opponent blocks just got to me too much. That and the constant snap concessions.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I'm running 3 Purphoros and 3 post, 4 Tymaret. Purphoros and post, while I do want to have them most of the time, are not so great in multiples, especially early. Post less so, but the deck also functions fine without it until the later game. Tymaret is still a 4-of to me mostly because he's almost always useful. Early, I'm perfectly happy to trade him away, or use him to block and upgrade some burn. Late game, I can get him back or play another as I need. With a Purphoros in play and the new legend rule, two of them give you a repeatable 2 dmg for 1rbb, which is admittedly very slow and inefficient, but it gives you something to do in a slow match against control if you have nothing else.

As for Hammer of Akroan horse over trading post, I don't think so, especially for horse. Giving your opponent a blocker can sometimes be a problem, and the additional cost of trading post is usually nullified by its versatility. Remember, it can do more than make goats, and having the option to sac keyrunes for cards if you're flooded or recur some SB ratchet bombs isn't irrelevant. Also, sometimes you just need 4 life. As for the hammer, you're really going in the other direction as using horse, by making the deck even more mana-hungry. Not only is its ability more costly, but it also loses you lands every time, which is a much bigger deal than losing 1 life with a gain-4 on tap. The one mana CC difference doesn't really matter, because you don't often need/want to be jamming that combo piece on curve.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I don't exaclty like ETBT lands in the deck, but UB Temples might be a good idea for the scry.

As much as I like scry in the deck, I'm actually running more shocks right now than Magma jets, just for the mana efficiency. The deck seems to spend a lot of its time on the edge between winning and losing, up until the point where it gets out of control, so the extra 1 mana or an ETBT land might matter quite a bit. It's also why I'm agreeing more and more with dreadbore over Hero's Downfall.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

AndItsAllGone posted:

In my limited experience with a build of Murdergoats, double black is more of a luxury than something you should get used to always having available when you want it. I keep Hero's Downfall in the sideboard against planeswalker-heavy decks but keep Dreadbore in the sideboard. That great decision is thanks to YeehawMcKickass, the OP of this thread, by the way. I just experimented and decided his way is best.

I agree that Dreadbore is better for the main, but I still don't run Downfall in the SB. I've found that Pithing needle does the job against walkers, plus gods and their weapons, and in rare cases it can be used for sac/draw shenanigans with Trading Post.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I haven't had too much success with MURDERGOATS simply because mono-B is pretty big locally right now, which is difficult. Also, lots of r-based aggro, but that's more manageable. I'm thinking I'm gonna run maindeck ratchet bomb over magma jets, because magma jets aren't good for reasons people here have been clear about, and Ultimate Price over Doom Blade main since there are desecration demons abound. I'm hoping the ratchet bombs will pay off with trading post synergies in addition to getting me some 2-for-1s. Haven't tried thoughtseize because I don't have any, but I'm siding two duress for the control matchup, despite there being one control deck every, say, 3 FMNs. Haven't had a chance to play that match yet though.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Went 3-2 with MURDERGOATS! at FNM for 5th (hooray best tiebreakers!). Maybe could have been 4-1, but I misplayed pretty badly r4 by playing pithing needle on mutavault when I knew I needed to crack Ratchet Bomb for 1 to 3-for-1 my opp's dudes. He proceeded to drop cavalry pegasus and get me for about 12 damage off of 3 mutavaults and I barely missed stabilization. Dropped r5 to the only person who went undefeated, playing a Bant homebrew with Fleecemanes, verdict, revelation, elspeth, one Aetherling, horizon chimeras, prophet of kruphix. Game 1 was a grind where I took his whole hand with Rakdos's Return twice, but two monstrous lions plus supreme verdicts eventaully did it. G2 he never drew a third land and I crushed. G3 I kept a reasonable hand, ended up playing all 3 Molten Births and missing all my flips, got supreme verdicted without sufficient gas and couldn't recover when I drew into a land pocket. The deck is still super fun to play though, so I'll stick with it.

Running Ultimate Price over Doom Blade was good, but that might be a local meta thing since we see a lot of desecration demons and no one has mono-U. Two maindeck Ratchet Bombs were absolute all-stars, almost always netting a 2-for-1 or better, recurring with trading post for value, or just cycling for 3 with a post in play.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mulletstation posted:

There's gotta be some sort of janky combo with shadowborn apostle and both mill creatures in the format. Let's rack our goon brains.

There's always using Sphinx of the Chimes as a draw engine, but you still need a wincon. Somehow including Underworld Cerberus could lead to some absurd things, especially with a sac outlet involved (Gnawing zombie, murder king, cauldron, barrage of expendables, etc). There are probably some Christmasland wincons with discarding to Lotleth Troll or Borborygmos, but all of these scenarios requires lots of mana across four colors.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mulletstation posted:

Reanimated sphinx that can dump the deck full of apostles that then immortal servitudes with purphoros out. Xmas indeed.

Seeing 0% combo on http://www.mtgtop8.com/format?f=ST is just upsetting in some weird way.

Now that You mention servitude, you don't even need a Purphporos out, you just need to draw Mogis' Marauder with enough mana post- servitude.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Trying to build a Red-Black control deck for my brother-in-law for Theros Standard. My brother-in-law wants to try Master of Cruelties as a kill condition so I wanted to figure out if it's a viable alternative to something like Stormbreath Dragon.

http://deckstats.net/decks/912/44771-red-black-control?saved=1&lng=en

Creatures - 10

4 Young Pyromancer
2 Pack Rat
2 Desecration Demon
2 Master of Cruelties

Planeswalkers - 2
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Instants and Sorceries - 20
2 Thoughtseize
3 Read the Bones
3 Magma Jet
1 Devour Flesh
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Hero's Downfall
2 Dreadbore
1 Rakdos's Return
3 Anger of the Gods

Artifacts - 2
1 Rakdos Keyrune
1 Whip of Erebos

Lands - 26
4 Blood Crypt
1 Mutavault
1 Rogue's Passage
3 Rakdos Guildgate
9 Swamp
8 Mountain

Sideboard
3 Lifebane Zombie
2 Pharika's Cure
2 Thoughtseize
2 Slaughter Games
2 Pithing Needle
1 Anger of the Gods
1 Rakdos's Return

Young Pyromancer's great for gumming up the field in the early game and works well with the 20 instants and sorceries in the deck. Desecration Demon's a great strong creature that survives Anger of the Gods and is a ridiculous beater, the 1 of Whip is for the purposes of life gain and stabilization (and the possibility of a quick hit with Master of Cruelties). Chandra and Read the Bones let the deck go up on cards, and Thoughtseize and Rakdos's Return are a house against any control deck.

From playtesting I can see the deck's just stone dead to Assemble the Legion. Are there any workarounds for that for anyone playing a similar deck? Any cards that I'm overlooking that are worth consideration?

Prowler's helm would be neat, and could steal some games with master.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Now that You mention servitude, you don't even need a Purphporos out, you just need to draw Mogis' Marauder with enough mana post- servitude.

Initial list for this goofy mess:

Core:
20 Shadowborn Apostle
4 Sphinx of the Chimes
2 Immortal Servitude
2 Mogis's Marauder

Flex slots:
4 Thoughtseize
3 Pack Rat
1 Removal Spell (I like Far//Away)

Lands:
4 Watery Grave
4 Temple of Deceit
11 Swamp
3 Island

Potential SB Cards:
Swan Song
Sire of Insanity
Nighthowler
Xathrid Necromancer

The deck just wants to do nothing but thoughtseize and mess around with pack rat until t6, when it drops sphinx, followed by a t7 land drop and kill. The apostles can chump lots, but I'm not sure it's any good still. I don't really want any less than 1/3 of the deck to be Apostles. Deck would have the problem of having lots of hands it wants to mulligans coupled with mulliganing pretty badly since it wants a full-ish hand for safer goings-offs on t7. Still, looks fun as hell. I was tempted to put thoughtseize in the "core" section, because it really does have to be there for protection's sake since apostles make your last slots really tight. You might be able to to go 2 pack rats for a second removal spell, or you could go all in on either rats or removal. SB choices give us Swan Song for protection (we really don't care about the swan and we want the cheapest counter we can get so it won't slow us down much), a Sire of Insanity to cheat in with Apostles either more traditionally or post-drawing lots in case you don't draw one of the finishing spells (maybe maindeckable?) Nighthowler as and alternate wincon that costs one more but beats Jace AoT, and Xathrid Necromancer for a wincon that beats Supreme Verdict.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 10, 2013

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

1. Quit complaining about Pack Rat. Or any other card for that matter. Just raging instead of figuring out how to play around/beat cards actively makes you a worse player. They're legal in format, they're good, and you're going to run into them.

2. Cut pack rat, burst of strength, savage surge, and sanguine bond. The tricks aren't good enough in constructed and Bond is too slow/low-impact. Play Sylvan Caryatid over Elvish mystic, since you don't have any turn 3 plays that mystic accelerates you into and Caryatid is a safer accelerant and a better blocker. You probably also want 4 instead of 3. Underworld Connections will give you card draw and devotion and is more difficult than a creature for your opponent to remove. Reaper of the Wilds is worth considering also since it smooths out your draws and is another 4-drop to accel into with Caryatid. Move Pharika's Cure to the SB for aggro decks, run fewer doom blades and more hero's downfalls. The stuff that's going to be a problem for your creatures are going to be coming out late enough that a 3 mana spell is fine. After all of that, re-tool your mana base to account for the shift in mana requirements.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Got a Modern GPT coming up on Sunday, and after playing last week I wanted to look at revising my Affinity deck and trying to get some more guidance on it:

Deck: Affinity

//Creatures
4 Ornithopter
2 Memnite
4 Signal Pest
4 Vault Skirge
4 Arcbound Ravager
3 Steel Overseer
3 Etched Champion

//Artifacts
4 Mox Opal
4 Springleaf Drum
4 Cranial Plating

//Spells
4 Galvanic Blast
4 Thoughtcast

//Land
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Blinkmoth Nexus
4 Darksteel Citadel
3 Glimmervoid
1 Island

//Sideboard
2 Wear // Tear
2 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Whipflare
2 Spellskite
2 Dismember
3 Blood Moon
1 Etched Champion

Display deck statistics

Firstly, I think I should consider revising the maindeck. Should I be four-of on both Thoughtcast and Galvanic Blast? Perhaps drop a 'Cast for another Memnite, and perhaps trade the Island for a Mountain, since with sideboard I have much more red spells than blue. Maybe I could drop a Steel Overseer too, I don't seem to get much out of them, although they do seem to attract the removal that would otherwise be pointed at the stuff that swings.

As for the sideboard, I can't remember the last time I used Grafdigger's cage, not come across many reanimator strategies. Perhaps should take Relic of Progenitus if I can get a couple, I think it works better against Jund by picking out targets for Deathrite, with the tap ability to shrink Goyfs. Whipflare I seem to use at Modern FNM more than big events, more elves I think. Spellskite I don't seem to use much either, not many decks with so much removal I feel I need it, but it plays with Ravager well. Considered Dispatch over Dismember, it seems more powerful so long as I can get W, which isn't as easy as one colourless and life.

What should I be playing Blood Moon against? Should I be using it on Jund, or should I welcome them throwing so much life away on fetches and shocks? Otherwise just anything with a greedy mana base, and Scapeshift (which I saw last week)?

Remember that cage also helps hose Pod decks.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

bhsman posted:

Pre-FNM testing report:

Dear Springleaf Drum,

:fuckoff:

-bhsman~

Is it that bad for Murdergoats, after all the hype? I've been hoping BNG would make the deck playable again, but all I've been hearing is further disappointment.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

bhsman posted:

:confused: Who is saying the deck isn't playable?

That's juts my opinion after playing it for months now. Even changing up builds off and on, if your opponent has a clue what you're playing, your odds get much worse, and if they're competent and play a tier 1 deck, you really can't win 65%+ of the time, since the deck is so inconsistent.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
EDIT:^^^Also, standard isn't actually that terrible. Maybe your meta is that way, But I frequently see a lot of variety. Mono-U and Mono-B are still viable, Burn decks have been doing well lately, and there's always the just-below-tier-1 white-based heroic stuff and BW midrangey decks, plus Esper humans/ Esper beats.

I actually don't think there's anything wrong with a UW mill strategy. In fact, I'd say it's better than trying to play UB mill and trying to mill your opponent out as fast as possible like an inefficient burn deck with Breaking//entering and the like. UW control with a few repeatable mill effects as the win condition is a fine strategy. Going into a third color for something like Nephalia Drownyard isn't out of the question either though.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 19, 2014

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Entropic posted:

Legacy Talk: How does Breakfast Burrito beat a Faerie Macabre from the sideboard in game 2, other than by hoping your opponent doesn't draw it?

Even Leyline of the void is beatable if you board in Nature's Claim, but how do you beat graveyard hate that you can't interact with?

The long and the short of it is, you probably don't. The only sort of effects that would protect your graveyard from the ability (Ground Seal type stuff) also hose your combo, so you just have to hope that Macabre isn't the hate they choose to pack.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The vast majority of the time, you aren't magically having your one-of Worldspine wurm (which is the better option) when they show and tell. You put a Balustrade Spy or an Undercity Informer into play, mill yourself out on their turn, the Wurm keeps you from losing when they pass turn, then you draw it and win the game in the same way you always do.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Sure, but Serra Avatar does that too, so we were talking about the difference between the two.

e: Why do you say that Worldspine Wurm is better? What situations does it win that serra avatar doesn't?

Wurm is better in the rare case that you do have it in hand and drop it to a Show and Tell, because it still trades with Emrakul every time if they block with it, in which case you still don't lose your threat, and if they take 15 and crack back, so long as you survive the damage, you don't lose the game to an annihilator trigger sweeping your threat. Serra Avatar may ensure that you don't lose if it gets dropped, but it won't also potentially win you the game.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Serra Avatar also wins you the game. You attack, they either block, in which case they lose an emrakul and you get a 20/20 and win next turn. Or they don't block and lose right now.

Serra Avatar is not guaranteed to be a 20/20, and it still doesn't replace itself, and it gets chumped by Griseldad all day. Worldspine Wurm just gets you there in more corner cases. Believe me, I fought for Avatar being in the deck (mostly just for comedy value) back when Chamale and I were building it, but at the end of the day, the Wurm is better.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

You can't get a turn 2 Brimaz off a green-only dork unless you specifically shock yourself for a turn 1 Temple Garden.

If you're playing a t2 Brimaz, you can take the 2 damage against about any deck except the fastest of aggro.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Here's my yet untested initial take on a plain WR version of a Possibility Storm/Eidolon of Rhetoric pseudo-lock deck:

4 Possibility Storm
4 Eidolon of Rhetoric
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
3 Judge’s Familiar
3 Lagonna-Band Trailblazer
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Banishing Light
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Brave the Elements
2 Heliod, God of the Sun
2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
2 Gideon, Champion of Justice

4 Mutavault/Encroaching Wastes blend
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Temple of Silence
1 Temple of Malice
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Mountain
5 Plains

SB
2 Wear//Tear
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Brave the Elements
1 Gods Willing
2 Reprisal
2 Silence
2 Boros Charm
2 Pithing Needle
2 Anger of the Gods

I like the nearly universal removal of Chained/Light, with Mizzium Mortars being there for Stormbreath and Blood Baron with a third in the SB, plus Reprisal to hit Dragons and Obzedat. Brave the Elements helps protect Eidolon. It has more protection in the SB for the control matchup, which I envision being miserable, which is why Silence is even a consideration (it may still be bad). Judge's familiar helps a touch with protection too, though not a ton. The Fat butts on Ram and Trailblazer help keep the board stable and allow for removal to be saved for more significant threats. The fact that none of the creatures actually have defender is a big bonus, which lets Ajani, Caller of the Pride be a real wincon that isn't dead outside of the lock. Gideon also plays decently in the gummed-up boardstates the deck is trying to induce. Heliod feels like it will be the least useful wincon, but I'm willing to give it a shot in testing. I initially just had 4 Mutavaults in the list, but a friend has been making a case for Encroaching Wastes as being useful, so I plan to try it out, though my hopes aren't as high as his. Other SB cards are Wear//Tear, which is good in general right now, and perhaps most importantly destroys Whip of Erebos. Pithing Needle also helps against whip, and is probably the deck's best/only option against pack rat, which I'm not the happiest about, but it is what it is. If Silence ends up being worthless, one of those slots could potentially become another needle. Anger of the Gods is there for any aggressive deck that tries to go wide. I feel like it may find its way into the maindeck, since Familiar is the only creature I play (not counting cleric tokens) that it kills.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Have I made glaring lapses in judgement?

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 23, 2014

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I was thinking that a modern MBD deck would be fun and not as terribly expensive to build as other modern stuff so I came up with this list. Cribbed some ideas from around the net and I feel like this combination would be pretty effective:

4x Gravecrawler
4x Bloodghast
3x Gatekeeper of Malaikir
3x Nether Traitor
2x Viscera Seer
4x Geralf's Messenger
2x Phyrexian Obliterator
4x Grey Merchant of Asphodel

3x Phyrexian Arena
1x Gravepact

4x Thoughtseize
2x Profane Command

3x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
21x Swamp

I really don't know where to start with sideboard ideas other than maybe some control/kill spells. In my head this works out like an aggro early with a nice curve topping out with grey merchant or profane command. I also like viscera seer giving me a sac outlet and ideally if I have a seer and a nether traitor out, with a second traitor either on the field or in the GY, I can scry as many times as I have mana. Arena for draw/devotion, a single gravepact to further improve my card advantage.

Looking for ideas, I might try to test it with proxies sometime soon.

I always encourage Consume Spirit in decks like this. It's probably bad, but it's fun.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Ok, so I just slapped this nasty deck together, and it is surprisingly reliable. Any hints or tips? I'm hoping this will smack down my local meta because I think this deck is breaking new ground:

Red light, Green light:

3 Eidolon of Rhetoric
3 Possibility Storm
4 Favored Hoplite
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Nyxborn Rollicker
2 Godsend
12 Plains
8 Mountain
4 Nyxborn Shieldmate
4 Launch the Fleet
4 Lagonna-Band Trailblazer
4 Ajani's Presence
4 Phalanx Leader

The trick is to play like a mild mannered W/r blitz, then when you can drop the possibility storm, the poo poo hits the fan. Assuming I'm doing this right, when you cast a spell that triggers heroic you then do the exile thing and get to dig for another instant or enchantment and trigger heroic again. The enchantments and creatures all have a chance of digging for the Eidolons. When both are on the board, the only thing casting spells can do is trigger heroic. The eidolons are for screwing your opponent during and after your second main phase, then chumping them if you need to cast one or more spells your next turn. Usually the weak lock down that you can still trigger the Hoplite through gets it done.

Ideas? Is this promising, or some Johnny poo poo that will never work?

I ran this at my last FNM:

4 Possibility Storm
4 Eidolon of Rhetoric
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
3 Judge’s Familiar
4 Lagonna-Band Trailblazer
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Banishing Light
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Brave the Elements/Gods Willing
2 Heliod, God of the Sun
2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
2 Gideon, Champion of Justice

4 Mutavault/Encroaching Wastes blend
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Temple of Silence
1 Temple of Malice
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Mountain
5 Plains

SB
1 Wear//Tear
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Brave the Elements/Gods Willing
2 Reprisal
2 Boros Charm
2 Pithing Needle
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Stormbreath Dragon
1 Possibility Storm

and I found that it was wildly inconsistent. Maybe my draws were bad, but I found that I simply never had what I needed when I needed it, despite having pretty universal answers. Having multiple possibility storms in hand was miserable. Also, Stormbreath wrecks the deck if it ever monstrouses. For next week, I'm planning to go -1 Lagonna band Trailblazer, -1 Possibility Storm, -1 Gideon (who really underperformed) -1 Chained to the Rocks, +1 Mizzium Mortars +3 Boros Reckoner. Mortars was better for me since it's less conditional and can get me 2-for-1's, and I'm hoping reckoner will allow me to save my removal for only the most dangerous threats, and potentially also help to draw removal away from Eidolon.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mikujin posted:

Supreme Verdict looks like it'd be a pretty rad thing.

It would be, but for the time being I'm avoiding a third color for budget reasons (it's the same reason I'm running much heavier on Wastes then Mutavaults right now). I already have most of the expensive stuff for the deck already, which is a big part of why I'm giving it a shot.

Got some testing of the new version in today, and I was pretty satisfied with Reckoners. They've done just what I wanted. It's also fun that the deck's only instants maindeck are my protection spells, and the only sorceries are Mortars, which lets you play with a reasonable amount of consistency even with a Possibility Storm down, which is nice.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Sampatrick posted a Bant Enchantress deck a while back, and I decided to break up the BUG deck because it was getting boring, so I mashed this out to run for Friday because why the hell not:

Deck: Bant Enchantress

//Creatures
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Hypnotic Siren
3 Nyx-Fleece Ram
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Eidolon of Blossoms

//Enchantments
4 Detention Sphere
4 Banishing Light
4 Pacifism

//Gods
2 Heliod, God of the Sun
1 Ephara, God of the Polis

//Planeswalkers
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes

//Lands
4 Temple Garden
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Breeding Pool
4 Temple of Plenty
2 Temple of Mystery
2 Temple of Enlightenment
3 Forest
2 Plains

//Sideboard
3 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
3 Celestial Flare
3 Deicide
2 Selesnya Charm
2 Scavenging Ooze
2 Domestication

Display deck statistics

Should be interesting to run.

I hope for your sake that your meta is light on Stormbreath Dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
With wedges coming out, I figure it's about time I get on the Shard train with a grixis control deck, trying to smash Goblinslide, Quiet Contemplation, and Thoughtseize together.

Initial maindeck list:

4 Thoughtseize
4 hero's Downfall
4 Divination
4 Lightning Strike
3 Quiet Contemplation
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Keranos, God of Storms
2 Clever Impersonator
2 Whelming Wave
2 Bile Blight
2 Goblinslide
1 Read the Bones
1 Liliana Vess

26 Lands, definitely including Urborg, some Scrylands and Painlands, not sure if I want Mana Confluence.

The Bile Blights might be better off as more burn spells (probably Magma Jets) if I find there's enough creature-light decks out there to warrant wanting spells that can go to the dome on an empty board, but right now I'm guessing I won't see much of that, and the two-for-one potential of Blight is hard to resist. It does kinda suck not getting a charm with a shard, but I'm hoping that cards like Thoughtseize, Hero's Downfall, and Clever Impersonator are versatile enough to make up for it.

• Locked thread