Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I'm torn between Bg control and Br midrange for the upcoming season - help!

Bg control has a good matchup versus aggro and great matchups versus control and midrange.

Br midrange has great matchups versus aggro and control with good matchups versus midrange.

The issue is that Br cannot deal with enchantments at all unless it discards them preemptively. Where Bg control has less answers to planeswalkers and relies on creatures to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Omenspeaker is pretty cool in combo or synergy-heavy decks. The body and Scry 2 are great for digging for specific cards while also holding off aggro decks.

In control? It's not fast or big enough to matter.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

bhsman posted:

I love the decklist but why the maindeck Slaughter Games? The meta so homogenous that it's worth playing? Does the cost compete too much with Purphoros and the Posts?

If you can cast all 3 it's auto-win versus UW control, which only runs 3 win conditions (Jace, Aetherling, Elspeth). I played Rakdos Midrange yesterday and Slaughter Games helped me win versus control every time.

However I didn't like Read the Bones main. I much preferred Underworld Connections since I would rarely cast RtB on turn 3, and Underworld will draw you more cards over time. It also helps you towards devotion for Gray Merchant!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Zoness posted:

A draw spell that can't draw you out of an empty board sounds awful.

How about a sorcery draw spell that you can't use when you're low?

e: to expand, I've had varied success with Read the Bones. It's a draw spell for when you're ahead, and only for when you're ahead. You rarely want to cast it at 3 and if you get behind and need the card advantage you seldom WANT to use it. I've had more success with Underworld Connections and Altar's Reap in decks that can produce a ton of creatures. During testing today I was at 2 on turn 6 and I needed a Doom Blade to clear the way to win - sure RtB would have drawn me deeper but I couldn't have used it. I ended up saccing a Mutavault to Altar's Reap in my opponent's end step and drawing 3 deep. One of those was an Underworld Connections, which I played and activated and got what I needed. Not something I could have done with RtB.

If you've got a deck that can generate a ton of tokens (Trading Post, Young Peezy, Molten Birth, Master of Waves, etc.) Altar's Reap is actually good.

Balon fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 9, 2013

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
4 of a legendary land is a bad idea. 2, Maximum. Same deal goes for the whip - multiples mean dead cards.

Desecration Demons should have a spot in here, likely over shred-freak. Denizen isn't great; I'd change your creature base to:

4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Returned Phalanx
3 Lifebane Zombie
3 Nightveil Specter
3 Desecration Demon
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
4 Grey Merchant
//23 Creatures

I'm really warming up to Returned Phalanx for its power against aggro. Shuts down Zealot, Cackler, BTE, and Firefist and trades with Fleecemane, Fanatic and a few others. Sure, it's not going to be attacking, but it's definitely helpful for letting you get to the long game.

As for spells, as mentioned you probably don't want 3 Whips. 3 Underworld Connections might be overkill as well. Try:

4 Doom Blade
2 Hero's Downfall
3 Duress
2 Read the Bones
2 Underworld Connections
2 Whip of Erebos
//15 Spells

Unless you're in the mirror, Doom Blade is always good. Even against low-creature control, being able to two-doomblade an Aetherling can stop the bleeding. Downfall, in addition to being another instant-speed kill spell, can neuter a lot of win-cons. Also consider Liliana otDR - it's another non-creature source of Devotion. Her inclusion (2-of, Max) means you could cut one or two swamp as well.

Lastly for lands, 2 Shrines are all you want. Otherwise they're dead cards (unless it's extremely late game and you can multi-activate 2 of them a turn, but even then what do you need that much mana for?). Go with

20 Swamp
2 Shrine
//22 Land

Curving out at 5 (4 cards) with most of your deck costing 3 and no X-spells you won't be needing to hit 8 or 10 land a game. Being mono-colored helps greatly as well. I don't think you need more than 22 land, but I could very well be wrong.

e: for the record I don't like mono-black yet. I really think black needs to splash another color for sweepers and win-cons. The next set may change that, however.

Balon fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 10, 2013

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mexican Sandwich posted:

A little something came to me: Could I reasonably splash Green in a Black Devotion Deck? (Namely, running this with green instead of blue).

I was thinking of Experiment One because the other cards are big beaters for not that much mana (Desecration Demon, Returned Phalanx) and could act as a regenerating blocker, Gyre Sage for extra mana (I was thinking of running Sanguine Bond, and it might get that Gray Merchant out a turn sooner), and Burst of Strength to keep my Desecration Demon up and untapped. I know the B/G Scry lands aren't out yet, but could it work?

Yes, with a 'but'.

You'd want to run Deathrite as your 1 drop, and limit the rest of the green to spells (Abrupt Decay and Gaze of Granite).

It gives you a little more versatility, but makes Nightveil a little harder to cast.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AlternateNu posted:

I want to see a white counterpart to Mono-U. So how do you guys think it would look:

4 x Cloudfin Raptor --> Soldier of the Pantheon
4 x Judge's Familiar --> Dryad Militant
4 x Tidebinder Mage --> Precinct Captain
4 x Frostburn Wierd --> New WW Cat Soldier dude from BNG
4 x Nightveil Specter --> Boros Reckoner
4 x Thassa --> Fiendslayer Paladin/Banisher Priest?
2 x Bident --> Spear
2 x Jace, AoT --> Ajani, CotP
4 x Master of Waves --> Heliod

3 x Cyclonic Rift/Rapid Hybridization --> Brave the Elements

You lose the card draw and serious power MoW provides, but you get a slightly lower curve, reusable destruction, less costly devotion enablers, and just a better early game. I would probably swap the 4 x Mutavault/1 x Nykthos to 4 x Nykthos and 1 x Mutavault. Perhaps we could even squeeze a couple Angel of Serenity and/or Elspeth in there. Nykthos ramp into those turn 4 would be evil.

Ideas?

I've been toying with the same thing, but the advantage blue has is, surprise surprise, that it gets everything. Evasion, guys that get bigger, ways of holding off sweepers, card draw, cheap big fatties, etc. I think there's some potential with some of the BNG reveals and making use of Heroic/Bestow, but feel white needs help from another color right now.

It does have Evangel of Heliod to make tokens, but it's more expensive than MoW.

I made a budget Theros-only WW deck and it tore apart my playgroup. It was pretty junk, but I'd like to adapt it to more of the following:

4 Soldier of the Pantheon
3 Nyxborn Shieldmate
3 Phalanx Leader
3 Precinct Captain
4 Banisher Priest
4 Fiendslayer Paladin
2 Fabled Hero/Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 Heliod, God of the Sun
2 Evangel of Heliod

2 Spear of Heliod
2 Glimpse the Sun God
3 Brave the Elements
2 Dauntless Onslaught
2 Ordeal of Heliod
3 Ethereal Armor

room for 19 land in this scribbled mess. The lack of any kind of card advantage hurts a lot, but you get some funny stuff happening with Ordeal of Heliod and Heroic dudes.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AlternateNu posted:

Random (completely unoriginal) deck idea popped into my head walking home from work today: Dimir mill!

Just looking at the cards, you get a pretty sweet curve that guarantees Phenax being active the moment he hits the field.
Pain Seer/Pack Rat --> Ashiok --> Lazav --> Phenax

Just the fact that Lazav has Hexproof makes him ridiculously hard to get off the field, and you can transform him in your opponent's biggest dude when you inevitably mill or Thoughtseize them into their grave. And you even get Wall of Frost as a 3 drop creature with a giant butt.

Thoughts?

Big butt creatures in a hybrid of the current mono blue and mono black decks might work. Currently mono blue is looking down a pretty grim matchup against mono black post rotation and will need to evolve to survive, and taking the best of both worlds and throwing in an alternate win condition sounds pretty attractive.

Big butt devotion-givers like Frostburn Weird, Desecration Demon and the (less valuable in a two-color deck but still good) Grey Merchant all play well with Phenax. With tools like Thoughtsieze and Hero's Downfall paired with Pain Seer could make a fun deck to try out at FNM. A Dimir Devotion Deck.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AlternateNu posted:

The deck I'm trying to build nominally has Phenax online the turn he drops. Using creatures like Mnemonic Wall do nothing for devotion despite the nice graveyard recurrence. (Plus it only has 4 defense while Wall of Frost has 7 for 1 less mana and 1 more devotion.)
The deck isn't really a Pack Rat deck, so I am not sure why you put Ogre Slumlord in it. The rats can be a nice secondary win condition and are my funnel in case I draw extra Ashioks, Lazavs, and Phenax I don't need.
And running 4 of all of my key cards ensures that I don't need Diabolic Tutor (which is really a waste of 4 mana when I'd rather get board presence).
Dimir Charm is basically Last Breath in my deck, so I do have some diversified destruction. I feel there is enough mono-B running around that Doom Blade becomes a liability, though. Ultimate Price is up for consideration, though I would probably sooner mainboard Hero's Downfall just because I have no real way of dealing with Planeswalkers. Even my damage effects are drains, so I can't redirect it.

I was mulling over whether I should put in a copy or two of Traumatize just because it makes Consuming Aberration an instant kill with Phenax out, but I decided on the Guildmage just because he can be an early drop if need be.

Whelming Wave? I don't really want to clear the board considering my dudes are my win condition.

//Lands
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave
8 Island
8 Swamp

//Spells
4 Dimir Charm -OR- Tome Scour
3 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Traumatize
4 Hero's Downfall

//Creatures
4 Cloudfin Raptor
4 Nighthowler
4 Nightveil Specter
3 Duskmantle Seer
3 Consuming Aberration
3 Phenax, God of Deception

Hybridizing the current mono-black/mono-blue with some mill for giggles. I think this list is a little more aggro than one would imagine, with mill as a back-up plan. Untapping a flier with a Nighthowler in hand is a scary beater!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AlternateNu posted:

...I just realized that Felhide Spiritbinder + Aurelia = infinite battle phases.

Each phase costs you 1R, no?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I just noticed this post. I love Duskmantle Seer in the current format full of huge fatties, but I think in this deck it's too dangerous. You're running high-costed cards like Consuming Aberration and Phenax in the main, which is going to be the death of you. You really want Big Big to be your curve topper or risk burning yourself out in 3 turns, especially if you need to shock yourself to play a land.

I don't disagree, but in terms of bigger reliable fliers it's either Duskmantle Seer, Herald of Torment (a possibility), or Siren of the Silent Song (a terrible alternative to a 4/4 flier draws you a card for 1 more mana). My list is just a spec list - I've not played it at all - but if the main goal is value evasive fliers those are the options.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

bhsman posted:

Drown in Sorrow may end up not being so great with the number of >2 Toughness creatures in the format (Fleecemane, Pack Rats with at least one other copy out, even stuff like Fiendslayer Paladin doesn't care with an Ethereal Armor/Unflinching Courage out). The better option might be something like Bile Blight to deal with Heliod's tokens, though Ratchet Bomb is better at dealing with that even with anthem effects out.

I guess the answer is more Ratchet Bomb.

Drown in Sorrow is going to be format-defining. It will single-handedly destroy mono blue and RG devotion and becomes the 3CC arms race.

If fiendslayer comes down on T3 he gets drowned. If you rat t2 or t3? Drown.

Drown is Blacks supreme virdict right now and its going to trivialize all <3 toughness creatures. More than 3 toughness? Its not like black has targeted removal or anything.

All those mana dorks you'd normally sac to Desecration Demon? T3 Drown, T4 Demon. Hope you've got an answer!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AlternateNu posted:

I really don't see it being as format-defining as you think. Sure, people will have to take it account and maybe alter their deck builds slightly and play around it, but the current meta can adjust for the threat fairly well.

First off, it is sorcery speed, and black's real selling point as far as removal goes is the fact that its entire removal suite is instant.
Second, it kills your own Pack Rats unless you have three of your own out. Mutavault pumps don't even help.
It is 3cc which forces you to either tap out or near tap out any turn it is useful (3-4). Because after that, the creatures get too big for it to be effective. And without haste, black can't even take advantage of the temporarily lowered P/T on the opponent's guys.
Everything it kills in Mono-U was effectively controlled for using 1 for 1 removal anyway with the possible exception of Tidebinder Mage.
It doesn't kill Sylvan Caryatid which is the best mana dork G has.
It is a horrible top deck against anything late game with the exception of Elspeth tokens. And that is just delaying the inevitable at that point.

Black's 1-for-1 removal suite is instant, but if it can 2-for-1 or better it's more than happy to do it at sorc speed. It kills your rats if you play them early, but knowing the kind of deck you're up against means you'd be pretty bad to play a Rat and have a reason to Drown. And again, if you can 2-for-1 or better there's no reason not to tap out. Your opponent played a Cloudfin in to a Tidebinder? Why the hell wouldn't you tap out on turn 3?

And again, why would you use a 3cc instant 1-for-1 spell when you can get a 2-for-1 or better at sorcery speed? 1-for-1 removal is for the threats Drown can't hit, not for that 1/2 Cloudfin flying at you.

And as a top deck late game? You do know what deck you're talking about right? Late game Drown becomes "2B: Put an X/X rat in to play..."

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AlternateNu posted:

No explanation. Just give feedback:

Creatures
4 x Favored Hoplite
4 x Hero of Iroas
4 x God-Favored General
4 x Phalanx Leader
3 x Xathrid Necromancer

Enchantments
4 x Ethereal Armor
3 x Murder Investigatio
3 x Eidolon of Countless Battles
3 x Hopeful Eidolon

Instants
4 x Gods Willing
2 x Orzhov Charm

Lands
10x Plains
4 x Godless Shrine
4 x Temple of Silence
4 x Mutavault

No room for Spear?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AlternateNu posted:

Well, I'm also running Orzhov Charm, and there would be more black in the sideboard. Xathrid Necromancer is another layer of protection from board wipes. Tapped lands do slow the deck down, admittedly. This is one of the things I want to shake out with testing. A Supreme Verdict or overloaded Mizzium Mortars actually becomes a losing proposition if you have something like a Hero of Iroas with a Murder Investigation and a Xathrid Necromancer out.

Plus, Mutavaults are humans.

You guys are probably right about the Precinct Captain. The primary reason I put in God-Favored General was because the tokens he creates are enchantments which buff Ethereal Armor. But considering everyone's comments regarding his mana costs (and really, the fact that he is inspired), it is probably a better idea to minimize the Ethereal Armor focus in the deck for consistency's sake.

As for the Nyxborn Shieldmate, that is probably a better idea not just because his bestow is 1 less, but also because he is a human.

I'll probably drop 2 x Ethereal Armors for the Spears. Maybe more if I decide that Xathrid Necromancer isn't worth it.

That is the gimmick. A Hero of Iroas alone with a Murder Investigation and a Countless on him goes from 1 x 7/7 to 1 x 8/8 and 7 x 1/1s when he dies. Xathrid Necromancer would pump Countless even more and give you an additional 2/2.

This is also part of the reason I am running Orzhov Charm. Most of these effects don't trigger unless the enchanted creature dies, so if my opponent tries to exile them, I'm poo poo out of luck. It is kind of surprising how well all three modes work in the deck. I can bounce a guy and everything on him back to my hand if my opponent gets sneaky. I can bring back a Favored Hoplite or Nyxborn on endstep (or in response to a board wipe with Xathrid out). Or I can get ride of an annoying blocker at the cost of some life.

So, considering what you guys said, how about this:

Creatures
4 x Favored Hoplite
4 x Hero of Iroas
4 x Precinct Captain
3 x Phalanx Leader
3 x Xathrid Necromancer

Enchantments
2 x Ethereal Armor
3 x Murder Investigation
3 x Eidolon of Countless Battles
4 x Nyxborn Shieldmate
2 x Spear of Heliod

Instants
4 x Gods Willing
2 x Orzhov Charm

Lands
10x Plains
4 x Godless Shrine
4 x Temple of Silence
4 x Mutavault

I like this, and I had considered running something similar, but I ran in to issues with removal and board wipes. I know Murder Investigation/Eidolon/Necromancer helps these cases out but a lot of the time I would find myself getting 2-for-1'd by targeted removal. I personally ended up running 3x Nighthowler over Murder Investigation and found it worked wonders. Phalanx Leader's WW cost was a hindrance quite often as well, though I like the value he brings.

Consider 4x Tormented Hero if you want a little more black in the deck. Alternatively, Soldier of the Pantheon if you want to keep it mostly white.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

I won my last FNM by topdecking 2 Cloudfin Raptors and using them to chump block a Boros Reckoner twice when I was at 2 life. Winning! I could see the deck making do with 3 or even 2 Judges' Familiers though...Running 4 DSpheres and bringing back a Rapid Hybridization.

Judge's familiars are going to be even more important now with Drown in Sorrow around. Holding Drown back til T4 is important!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

kas posted:

It's at the point I was beating GR monsters, white weenie and a W/R Brimaz/Purphoros brew with a pretty respectable win rate, time to take it to FNM to crash it up against the endless hordes of RDW, mono blue devotion and mono black devotion that compose 90% of my local area. I think it should do pretty well, the decks I'm actually most worried about are UW control/Esper control, oddly enough.

Not entirely sure if I'm completely sold on the dimir charms or bile blights yet - while they've been pretty solid in keeping me alive long enough to go off, I feel like there might be better options I just haven't found yet. Maybe I'm crazy/wrong about that though. They do pretty handily deal with a few problem cards - master of waves, pack rat, boros reckoner, nightveil specter, etc., so I suppose I can't complain.

I cannot stress how hilarious it is to watch opponents when I tell them "Mill for 13, Triton Tactics, Mill for 19, Triton Tactics, Mill for 25, Go."

I'd personally drop 2 Bile Blights for 2 Drown in Sorrow, and drop the 4 Dimir Charms and 1 Triton Tactics for 3 Underworld Connections and 2 Jace.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

C-Euro posted:

Find the Purphoros EDH deck someone posted recently in the main thread and take down a few notes. At least, I'd put Purphoros in over a 1CMC vanilla creature like Mon's. Even if you don't always draw it he can very quickly end games alongside Krenko. Krenko/Phyrexian Altar/Staff of Domination is an infinite combo too, if you're into those.

That'd be the one I posted, my current MTGO EDH deck that's wrecking fools:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607421&userid=164769#post425555082

http://deckstats.net/decks/3554/64920-purphoros-commander

While it's not necessarily a Goblin Tribal deck, it's got a ton of goblin creators in it and takes advantage of Purph as your commander. Despite having dozens of creates in play every turn, I usually win without attacking.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

En Fuego posted:

I had posted earlier a build of Mono-B Heroic ... based off of a pre-BOTG deck. I've updated, but watching the action this weekend, I need some help.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-b-heroic-1/

Creature (24)

4x Agent of the Fates
4x Gray Merchant of Asphodel
4x Herald of Torment
4x Pack Rat
4x Spiteful Returned
4x Tormented Hero

Instant (6)

4x Hero's Downfall
2x Ultimate Price

Land (23)

4x Mutavault
19x Swamp

Sorcery (4)

4x Thoughtseize

Enchantment (3)

3x Underworld Connections

Sideboard (15)

3x Bile Blight
3x Devour Flesh
2x Drown in Sorrow
3x Duress
4x Lifebane Zombie

I like Spiteful Returned, and I think it can push some extra damage and be a little better than others. As for the SB, I am thinking to put in some Gift of Orzhova instead of something.

My problem is Pack Rat. Seems a lot of decks are prepared for it, with S. Verdict or Detention Sphere (many stated that Mono U is going more U/W), which makes Rat less than optimal.

My question is, do I keep it in? Do I replace it? What do I replace it with? Pain Seer? Nightveil? Desecration Demon?

Thoughts?

I think you want to drop Agents, Herald, and Gary all down to 3. Gary is a great finisher but the last thing you want is 2 in your opening hand as dead cards for 5 turns. Agent and Herald are fantastic value but die to everything in the format save for Doom Blade. Having played with Herald a lot in BG Graveyard it's very seldom a 3/3 Flyer for 3 and more often "evasion for 5". If it weren't for the synergy in that deck I would rather run Gift of Orzhova.

If you're finding Rats to get hated too much Pain Seer is the way to go - he's just all over value. In this list you're losing 3 in the worst case, 5 and you immediately gain it and more back.

Because I've been playing BG I'm a big fan of Nightowler lately as well. Mono Black may not be able to capitalize on it as well, but every chump block and removal spell means extra value.

Also, as mentioned, Eye Gouge. Hate on all Mutavaults or trigger an Agent! There's also a lot of quality 1-toughness dudes out there that it serves as targeted removal for (Mystic, Firedancer, Spike Jester, etc).

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
For Sharzak, my current BG Graveyard list:

Deck: BG Graveyard (Standard Dredge)

//Lands
8 Forest
4 Overgrown Tomb
8 Swamp

//Spells
4 Commune with the Gods
4 Grisly Salvage
1 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Herald of Torment
2 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
4 Lotleth Troll
4 Nemesis of Mortals
4 Nighthowler
3 Satyr Wayfinder
3 Sylvan Caryatid

//Sideboard
1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
3 Shadowborn Demon
4 Abrupt Decay
1 Whip of Erebos
2 Deadbridge Chant
4 Mistcutter Hydra

Display deck statistics

It's been doing really well, the only deck I consistently lose to is Bant Superfriends as Kiora is an rear end in a top hat to a Voltron'd creature.

Deadbridge Chant comes in versus mono black since they can't deal with it at all, the Shadowborns are in the board rather than main because I find them only to be relevant versus RG monsters. Mistcutter versus mono-U, obv. Decays come in against mono-U, control, and any weenie strat. The second whip is there because of the RW burn matchups, the lifelink puts you out of reach FAST.

This is the most fun deck in standard right now and it didn't break the bank to build since I grabbed the BG staples early (and had the Tombs from OG Rav).

The deck only gets better with JiN when you get a second set of duals and the BG God (whatever it may be).

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Sharzak posted:

^thoughttseize seems like it should go in there but I'm no expert.

Mmm I like that a lot. Been looking for something fun to do in BG. Have you considered swapping out the Mystics for Thoughtseize and the Caryatids for scavenging ooze? Scooze seems like a no brainer in a deck like this. Have you found you really need the ramp?

The whole point is to tutor and play threats faster than can be dealt with. The ramp is invaluable.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

bhsman posted:

The guy I played against who was using the G/W version with Voracious Wurm and Brindle Boar - among other cards - said he had originally used a deck like you've described. Gift seems to me like a very underrated card that's asking to be abused.

I played a kid at FNM a few weeks ago with a BW Humans build using Sin Collector, Cartel Aristocrat, Xathrid Necromancer, and Gift of Immortality for some tricks. Stripped spells and created zombies every turn and he had a great record versus mono black and control, but folded to most other aggro decks (as long as they had evasion).

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

KidDynamite posted:

I'm going to check this out seems like a fun time.

Godspeed!

You learn really quickly that Nemesis and Nighthowler are the best picks from a tutor, Troll should only be played turn 3+ unless you have dorks in your hand to pitch, and that Deathrite draws all the hate.

Live the dream and swing turn 5 with a 10/10 Nemesis... Only to throw him in your opponent's face turn 6!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

bhsman posted:

I'm surprised there's no ScOoze to work with Deadbridge Chant; that way you can better ensure that you're getting Jarad or some big gribly back rather than, uh, an Elvish Mystic. :geno:

You're missing the point of the deck. Its not to have creatures in the yard to remove, its to have creatures in the yard to make your other dudes big FAST. Removing your own dudes is counter-productive.

Plus Deadbridge is just in the sideboard - MD shouldnt revolve around it.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

bhsman posted:

I know, I was just looking at Deadbridge and thinking "Wow that would suck to just get a Mystic back. :v:"

How often do you find yourself using Jarad's recursion ability?

Always. He's more use in the yard until you need him and you wouldnt believe how many people are blindsided by "float 2, sac, tap 2, Jarad. Throw Nemesis at you, GG?"

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

bhsman posted:

Yeah, I just goldfished a few hands and it feels really explosive. Any love for Putrefy?

If its not a tutor, creature, or land then it only has minor relevance Main. Whip only gets the MD cut because of my local metagame.

If you want removal there's Demons and Decays in the board. Even then I'm often hesitant to board in Decays unless it'll be a blowout.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jabor posted:

I run Demons main, because sometimes you just need to kill something g1, like your opponent's maindeck Scooze. Or just clearing out blockers or removing threats you don't want to deal with.

I'm not sure how much I like Lotleth Troll - it seems bad unless you're putting a Nighthowler on it, which I'd rather be putting on a Herald or Demon.

Abrupt Decay or Golgari Charm come in against most decks - RG Monsters might be the exception, but even then another couple of ways to kill Scavenging Ooze are usually helpful. I'm considering adding Hero's Downfall to the board for that instead, to also help with the Walkers matchup. (Kiora really sucks for this deck). I guess mono-red also, you want blockers and Whip more than a kill spell.

The demons in the side are a personal choice, for sure. If you like their utility run them main!

Lotleth Troll is a lot like Pack Rats in that it's your "all-in" option but with more resilience. It's tough for a lot of decks to beat a giant trampling regenerator when he comes down on turn 2/attacks on turn 3 for 4/5 then just proceeds to get Volton'd up. I also find myself casting Herald less often than I bestow him, which is why he's a 3-of rather than a 4-of. I find Troll to be a better and more resilient body to bulk up with the utility of getting late-game dorks in the 'yard.

It's important to aggressively mulligan with this deck as well. If you don't have a dork and a tutor in your opening hand you likely want to dump it. I've kept and won with 1-Tomb/4-Mystics/1-Troll hands as well so your experience may vary.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mindisgone posted:

Do you get any real use out of Deathrite Shaman? He just seems like a convenient 1 drop but nothing significant comes out of it. Almost think the scOoze would be a better to draw hate. Also T1 sedge scorpion makes a nice blocker for the semi-rare 3 drop Polukranos.

I am a huge fan of this deck if only because B n G are my favorite colors. In fact this is the build I was going for when I first got back into magic when Theoros came out but the BNG Satyr seems very necessary.

Also I though about building a similar deck in a different direction that dumps creatures to the yard to ramp Nemesis out and then revive your yard to your hand but it was slow and clunky. I like this much better.

The Deathrites, like others have said, are essential. While you can't keep a 1-lander w/ a Deathrite, you can keep weird ones like Swamp, Forest, Deathrite + any dig spell. They also provide quite a bit of reach late game, when you can exile your own Salvages and Communes to shock, or in a worst-case scenario exile a creature for lifegain. Their versatility is what keeps them in the deck, but at first glance they seem like "conditional mana dork 5-8".

I'm having a lot of fun playing the deck still, and bomb plays like 'Turn 2 Herald, Turn 3 bestow Nighthowler Swing for 3, Turn 4 Salvage grabbing another Nighthowler, Swing for 7 Turn 5 bestow Nighthowler #2 swing for 14' makes every mana screw and control blowout worthwhile.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
What's the best kind of 1v1 Commander deck? I enjoy playing multiplayer much more and have a few slower, multiplayer-focused decks already but it seems 1v1 commander is pretty popular on MTGO.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Well Dredge is looking like it's getting some tools. This is an updated list I'm planning on testing soon:

//29 Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic

3 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Lotleth Troll

3 Boon Satyr
4 Nighthowler
3 Herald of Torment
3 Nyx Weaver
1 Pharika

//11 Spells
4 Commune with the Gods
4 Grisly Salvage
3 Strength of the Fallen

//20 Lands
6 Forest
6 Swamp
4 Overgrown Cemetery
4 Temple of Malady

I'm not certain if the deck can handle an additional 3 non-creatures in the Strength of the Fallens. The auto self-milling will help a tonne from the new Nyx Weaver, and may mean that Wayfinder or other tutors can be cut.

If the Strength of the Fallen route doesn't work out then 4 Boon Satyr, 1 Pharika, 3 Strength all get cut and Jarad can go back in, with full 4-counts of a few of the more important creatures replacing them.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jabor posted:

No Mana Confluence? With how important it is to have G early, but BB later on, I would have figured that the deck can handle a little pain there. Maybe not the full 4 copies, but I probably would run some at least.

Possibly, but I'm expecting them to be prohibitively expensive.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mikujin posted:

No Nemesis? He is definitely one of the more abusive guys to be running in the current dredge builds, since you can usually cast him early for cheap, and late game he is coming down super fat.

I'm running him in my current build but I think this one wants to focus on making evasive guys big (Troll, Herald) rather than the Nemesis. In testing I may find I want him back, however.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Zorak posted:

Any interesting Constellation brews people been working on for Standard? There's got to be an interesting if niche deck or four in some combination of white/black/green.

I think something BG rock-esque could evolve around Doomwake Giant/Pharika, using a lot of tools the current BG "Dredge" deck employs.

Being able to give all creatures your opponent controls -1/-1 at instant speed has always been an amazing effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Illusory Angel can be done on Turn 2 w/ Springleaf Drum turn 1 and ornithropter turn 2.

• Locked thread