Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
OK you guys helped me out in the last thread, so now here's the next revision of my Master of Waves devotion deck:

I know someone said Clone was a bad idea but I find it way too useful as a defensive measure as well as offensive. I can copy someone else's god or some other nasty creature I wouldn't normally be able to deal with. I'm keeping it in until playtesting proves that it's bad.

I was going to put Syncopates in, but I'm going to roll with Judge's Familiar for now instead. I decided that even though it might not be an optimal build, I'm going to lean way towards devotion. If I feel like I need to scale back the devotion for more counter magic or different forms of battlefield control (like Voyage's End) I'll make those adjustments after some testing. For now I want as many elemental tokens as I can get on the field to swing for lethal the next turn.

edit: I showed this to a friend who is working on a similar deck and he said that he's been running sims with Cloudfin Raptor in place of Clone. He said it can get up to 3/4 or 4/5 with no real problems as long as Thassa hits the table as a creature. I might give that a try since it speeds up the deck a ton. Any thoughts on that?

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Alright here's another deck I'm working on. It's partially inspired by someone in the last thread. Right now Azorius Control is getting pretty popular at my LGS. I'm already sick of Supreme Verdict so I'm trying to build a deck that explicitly screws it over in the meta while also being pretty good against most other matchups. Here's what I have so far:

My current concern is that it doesn't have enough creatures, but I really want 4 Initiatives and 4 Boros Charms in there. Also I only have 1 Hammer. Should I maindeck only 3 Initiatives and add a 2nd Hammer, putting the 4th Initiative in the sideboard? If I were to cut anything for more creatures, what should I cut?

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 1, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Omenspeaker owns.

Ownmenspeaker.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, Changes made.

Deck: Izzet Blitz

//Lands
8 Island
2 Izzet Guildgate
8 Mountain
4 Steam Vents

//Spells
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Izzet Charm
3 Magma Jet
3 Mizzium Mortars
3 Quicken
4 Shock
4 Steam Augury

//Creatures
4 Guttersnipe
3 Nivix Cyclops
4 Spellheart Chimera
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
3 Peak Eruption
3 Annul
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Counterflux
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge

Display deck statistics

My biggest sticking point right now is over Mizzium Mortars or Lightning Strike. Someone already suggested cutting Quicken.

I have a deck that's almost the same and here's what I do different:

I don't have Electromancers. I don't ever have a problem with having enough cretures. There's always a Guttersnipe and/or a Young Pyromancer in play. The Chimeras are your best win conditions. I would drop the Electromancers and put in either Dissolves or more burn.

I see people playing Quicken with no sorceries in their decks and I'd love to know why. I have 3 Turn // Burn in my deck instead. It's my way of dealing with toughness 4 or higher creatures. I can see putting Quickens in the sideboard to move in with Mizziums but that seems like a lot of sideboard space and effort when Turn // Burn does the same thing just fine. I guess if you really expect the game to go long and you'll need to Overload the Mortars then yeah it makes sense but in my local meta I haven't seen a whole lot of Selesnya midrange or whatever.

My sideboard is still in process, but I'm thinking of adding Syncopates against Control because I hate having to save my Dissolves for Sphinx's Revelation and I feel like more counters are a good idea in that matchup.

Speaking of Control, that's going to be a BAD matchup for you because you can't dump all your creatures on the table and go nuts with burn. You have to always be ready for Verdict which means no more than 1 creature on the field at any given time. Make your opponent use a Verdict on a single Pyromancer and a couple tokens before dropping Guttersnipe next turn and going in with burn. If they get off a Sphinx's Revelation you might as well scoop, so make sure to have a counterspell of some kind ready. If you can get a mid-game or late-game Chimera into play and they don't have an answer, they're done.

Good luck! This is an amazingly fun deck type to play and I'm having a really good time with it. :)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I have a question: Right before rotation, I saw some really neat looking Gruul aggro decks that ran 4 Domri Rade, a bunch of mana dorks (Elvish Mystic, BTE, etc.), and 4 Thundermaws. I wanted to put it together and play it but I only have 1 Domri Rade and I traded my 2 Thundermaws as part of a deal for a Bob. I really didn't want to spend all that money making a deck I'd only get to play for 2 weeks.

Anyway, now that Stormbreath Dragon seems to be the Thundermaw replacement, would a similar deck be viable? It was pretty much all creatures except for the standard 4 Searing Spear and 4 Pillar of Flame, so now that would translate to 4 Lightning Strike and 4 Magma Jet (I like it better than Shock because of the scrying). Ideally you land Domri on turn 2 or 3, draw tons more ramp with Domri, then slam down Dragons ASAP and crush people.

So is something like this worth bothering with or should I just go with Turtenwald RDW instead?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

kzin602 posted:

Izzet Staticaster worked really well for me pre-rotation against the human tokens decks. Haste and Flash means you can nail them in the middle of their mass token attack, or in response to a sacrifice; I don't know if there's going to be a deck fueled by x/1 tokens in the current meta but he was a pretty good two of in the sideboard.

I have 2 Staticasters in my sideboard currently just because Young Pyromancer is all over the place in my local meta. It's extremely effective. I also foresee Master of Waves becoming a part of my local meta as well and it will be good against him too.

Edit: Elspeth tokens too!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tharizdun posted:

So based on Owen Turtenwald's Mono-Red Aggro, I've been looking at it and trying to figure out what it loses to.

The big things I notice are "anything with 3 toughness" as only 4 cards in the deck can actually kill such a thing and Jace, Architect of Thought

Isn't that what the burn is for in those matchups?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tharizdun posted:

Is Legion Loyalist better or worse than Foundry Street Denizen? I ask because it looks like Owen didn't play Loyalist, and there's probably a reason for that.

I'm not a pro or anything but it seems like Legion Loyalist would be a great sideboard card against Young Pyromancer, Master of Waves, or Elspeth.

quote:

Only 4 pieces of burn can kill a Centaur Healer without help.

Fair enough. I guess that's another reason to run the Dynacharges.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tharizdun posted:

I just tweeted @OwenTweetenwald asking why he runs Foundry Street Denizen over Legion Loyalist. Ball's in his court now.

Good idea.

My best guess right now would be that with all the 1-drops he can potentially be 3/1 or even 4/1 for a turn or two. Additionally, I'm guessing this deck really doesn't care as much about toughness 3 or higher and could probably just swing with everything every turn for the sheer damage and not care about losses.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tharizdun posted:

Man, I really want to find room for a Chandra in here, because "one-sided Howling Mine" sounds loving awesome at 2RR, even though it would completely destroy what the deck is doing and turn it into some sort of Big Red or AIR monster instead of Deadguy or Sligh.

I don't see a problem with a singleton Chandra in there in place of one of her Phoenixes or something.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tharizdun posted:

Chandra doesn't actually do very much the turn she comes down (burn for 1 and falter? not super for 2RR), and wanting to stretch the game to turn 5 isn't something I'm a fan of in Deadguy Red. It's the same reason I despise Hammer of Purphoros in these sorts of lists (but in a slower, more card-advantage-focused deck like Big Red I would adore it)

Isn't the point of Hammer that you don't play it 3rd turn and instead play it 4th or 5th turn so that you get more out of it when it hits the table? And also aren't cards like Hammer intended to be average value on the turn you play it in order to get a LOT more out of it in the next turn or two?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
No offense but that doesn't look like Control to me. You need more sweepers and counters. Definitely go up to a minimum of 3 Anger of the Gods. I also think you need 4 Syncopates in there to make it more Control-oriented. You might also want some Cyclonic Rifts in there too so you can overload them.

Why 4 Izzet Staticasters and not 4 AEtherling and/or 4 Spellheart Chimera? Those are your win conditions, right? If you're using the Staticasters to stall, I'd go with Young Pyromancer instead because he can poop out defensive tokens and you can attack with them if the board state allows you to do so early on. Why would you put in Niv-Mizzet when you can just add 2 more AEtherlings? They cost the same and AEtherling is a better win condition.

Thoughtflare is Bad. Steam Augury is way better so stick with that.

Here's my suggestion:

-4 Izzet Staticaster
+2 AEtherling
+2 Spellheart Chimera

-4 Turn // Burn
+3 Syncopate
+1 Jace, AoT

-4 Thoughtflare
+2 Cyclonic Rift
+2 Anger of the Gods

If you don't like Cyclonic Rift then go with a 4th Anger of the Gods instead and maybe a singleton Ratchet Bomb to round things out.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I made some changes to my Master of Waves mono-blue aggro deck. I like it a lot better now:

I replaced the Omenspeakers with Vaporkin. Same cost, more evasion, more damage, more aggro-like. Also fulfills the role of evolving the Cloudfin Raptors on turn 2.

After a ton of second and third guessing myself, I took out the Dissolves and replaced them with Inaction Injunctions. The way I see it, this is an aggro deck and I will always be tapped out during my opponent's turn. Therefore the Dissolves are only useful for covering my swings. However, after that I want to have mana to cast more creatures. Dissolve is good but expensive. Inaction Injunction is faster, gets their biggest blocker out of my way, potentially shuts down a nasty activated ability until my next turn, and potentially lets me cast a 1 or 2 mana creature after combat. It also doesn't cost me a card, and I need all the cards I can draw in an aggro deck.

I put the Dissolves in the sideboard for the Control matchup so I can stop Revelations. I also put the Disperses in their for the same matchup because honestly I think it's my only bad matchup. Disperse lets me potentially bounce a Master of Waves in response to a Verdict, and can act as extra tempo to get annoying blockers out of the way.

I also decided to bump up my 1-drops to a total of 10 to hit the typical aggro curve and make sure I almost always have a first turn creature. That's why the 2 Galerider Slivers are in there. If anyone has a better 1-drop I can use feel free to offer suggestions. I chose the Galerider solely based on the fact that it has evasion.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mugwump posted:

You need 4 devotion to make Nykthos produce "extra" mana. Your highest casting cost is 5. I just think the disadvantages of Nykthos out weigh the positives in your deck. Without any kind of mana dump or big fat black creature, Nykthos is just trying to be way too cute.

Edit: if a player is letting you have more than four devotion on the board, I don't see why you would need a merchant or demon "in a pinch" because you are already way ahead of them on board.

I have a blue devotion deck that I've posted in here and I completely agree with you. No more than 2 Nykthos. The idea behind using Nykthos is if it drops early enough you can potentially dump your entire hand in one turn, but more than 2 is just asking for mana problems. You don't ever want to have more than 1 show up in your opener and your first 5 or 6 draws.

Speaking of my blue deck, I made a funny discovery last night while goldfishing it: Vaporkin is an Elemental creature type, which means Master of Waves makes it bigger. I accidentally made that deck even better than I thought I did! :haw:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Granstein posted:

Been toying with a R/W combo-ish deck, wondering if you guys could offer some feedback. Deck list looks like this right now-

4x Purphoros
4x Assemble the Legion
4x Young Pyromancer
4x Guttersnipe
4x Anger of the Gods
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
4x Shock
4x pacifism (Mostly for anything I can't burn to death on the spot, I hate using it though)
2x Wild Guess (Felt like I needed some card draw, and an extra Purph is a totally dead card most of the time)
4x Sacred Foundry
4x R/W scrylands
14 mountains

Obviously Purph/Assemble is the combo part of the deck, but the pyromancers can do a lot of work on their own in some situations.

It seems to do well against aggro and fold against islands and really folds against mono black. Once they start dropping demons it doesn't have a lot of answers without an assemble factory to make tokens to sac. It's a ton of fun though, so I'm hoping there's a way to tweak it that I'm not realizing right now to make it a bit more playable. Is there something I can change to make it more competitive, or is it a hopeless idea? I just started playing again with RtR, and this is the first deck I've tried building without at least a general idea that someone else had already made it playable.

You need 4 Boros Charm in there. It's a life saver against Verdict and it can also dome your opponent for 4 to end the game or double strike an unblocked creature. If you can find or buy 4 Legion's Initiative you should also toss those in the sideboard against Control. It shuts down Verdict and any other mass removal, even overloaded Cyclonic Rift.

I also agree with whoever said to replace the Guttersnipes with Chandra's Phoenix. That's way more aggro and again, also better against Control. Chained to the Rocks is better than Pacifism unless your local meta is red-heavy, because then you have to watch out for Peak Eruption. In that case I see nothing wrong with Pacifism.

Oh yeah and take out 1 Purph. You never want more than 3 of a God in any deck IMHO.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Are there any current decks that just completely hose UW or UWB Control? The only thing I can think of is basically building RDW and then splashing in RW duals for Boros Charm and Legion's Initiative. Obviously Chandra's Phoenix is a 4-of too.

Or is the best anti-Control deck just another Control deck? I'm sick to death of Supreme Verdict and Sphinx's Revelation and I want to build a deck that fucks them over super hard, if such a deck should exist.

edit: Here's a thing I threw together:

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 21, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

kizudarake posted:

Maze's End Fog is hilarious against control.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Yo. Sup.

The best way to beat control is to be aggro-er than they can keep up with. Right now, GW is way too good at that.

Could you guys post some example decks please? I'd love to see how GW deals with Verdict and Revelation. I mean I get that Smiter can't be countered and Fleecemane can become indestructible, but that takes 7 mana over 2 turns and he can get Verdicted away in between. What else does it have?

Also how does a Fog deck beat Control? You just save up all the fog effects for the single Aetherling and/or Elspeth swings?

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 21, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

The Leper Colon V posted:

Best example I can give on short notice is my dream Bashy Naya deck. Dream, because it'd cost several hundred dollars. Online testing has shown that very few things can actually keep up with it, though.

Deck: Bashy Naya

//Lands
3 Forest
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Mountain
5 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Stomping Ground

//Spells
4 Chained to the Rocks
3 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Spear of Heliod

//Creatures
3 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
3 Fabled Hero
4 Fleecemane Lion
2 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Legion Loyalist
3 Loxodon Smiter
2 Polis Crusher
3 Skarrg Guildmage

//Sideboard
2 Polis Crusher
4 Wear // Tear
3 Fade into Antiquity
3 Gods Willing
3 Fiendslayer Paladin

Display deck statistics

I think you meant Temple Garden instead of Hallowed Fountain. :)

Can you explain some of the creature choices? I really don't understand the composition. There's Fabled Hero but only 2 Ghor-Clan Rampagers and I don't see anything else that could target him.

Also, no Scrylands? Too slow?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

Just in general, midrangey decks beat control by continuously dropping threats, every single one of which is a must-answer.

Drop a Fleecemane turn 4, which they Verdict before you can monstrous? Great, that's one fewer removal spell they have for the Smiter you drop next turn. They Detention Sphere it? Who cares, now here comes Elspeth. By forcing them to answer your threats 1-for-1 instead of building up card advantage you run them out of answers and then run them over with card quality.

Welp.

I've been wanting to build a midrange deck for quite a while but could never think of a good reason to move away from aggro. Now I have an extremely good reason. Thank you. I'll be looking around for other GW midrange ideas. I already have playsets of Smiters and Fleecemanes so it looks like I'm off to a good start!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Alright so I did a little research on GW midrange this morning and didn't see much out there. I see a bunch of GW aggro though. Lists with 12 1-drops, 4 Smiters, 4 Fleecemanes, 4 Selesnya Charms, and a few other things. That doesn't seem mid-range to me. Should I think about adding mana dorks and fatties like Poly and Kalonian Hydra?

It seems like I should just sort of go green devotion and splash white for the Smiters, Fleecemanes, and Charms. I could even see splashing red instead of white or even in addition for some Domri Rades to speed up topdecking.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lonely Bridge posted:

Hey wanted to bring this up from a few pages back to say thanks for typing up your thoughts on the deck. I'm running something very similar, including the two mainboard Chandras. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play it yet aside from a week ago when I played down 2 reckoners and no Chandra. I still went 3-1 at FNM without those so I'm excited to play it with. Personally I like the 4 phoenix and play with a bit less burn.

I'm not extremely experienced so I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not, but I'm playing with the idea of 4 mortars in the mainboard with only 3-4 player burn spells. I like the idea of being able to burn down any blockers (combined with the firefist strikers) to keep swinging through, but perhaps this is too weak to board wipes?

Also I've got a single hammer sitting in the main deck as a bit of insurance that the longer the game goes the slightly less completely hosed I am. Thoughts on this? I'm not running Mutavault so maybe this is a decent substitution; though I'm seriously considering putting in the money to have 2 Mutavaults in here.

But yeah, this deck is so nuts with that turn 4 crazy damage. I'm not the biggest fan of Burning-Tree Emissary but good lord it turns into a monster with this deck.

I run a lot of red decks and I currently run 4 Lightning Strike and 4 Magma Jet in each, with 3 or 4 Mizzium Mortars in the sideboard. I only bust them out when someone plays toughness 4 creatures, usually siding out the Magma Jets for them. If they're running 3 toughness or less, don't bother with Mortars. Mainly they're for Kalonian Hydra, Archangel of Thune, Gray Merchant, or any of the other big toughness 4 threats/blockers.

Burning-Tree Emissary is bonkers powerful. Learn to love her.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I don't think Skullcrack gets around protection from red. I thought all damage was reduced to 0, not prevented, and that's an important difference.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the Skullcrack clarification. I'll remember that.

Also, I've been comparing my mono-B aggro deck to the other top decks online and I am really confused as to why people are mainboarding Tidebinder Mage instead of Vaporkin and putting the Tidebinders in the sideboard. I guess if it's a metagame thing and they're expecting tons of red and green then it makes sense, but otherwise it's a Grizzly Bear. Vaporkin not only has evasion, its drawback doesn't matter because you're ostensibly going in with it every turn. More importantly, it's creature type is Elemental so Master of Waves makes it bigger. I've already won several games with my mono-B deck by simply casting Master of Waves to make my 2 or 3 Vaporkin big enough to swing for lethal.

I mean, I don't want to argue with PTQ winners or anything because they know what they're doing, but Vaporkin just seems like a huge oversight on their part.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mikujin posted:

They mainboard Tidebinder because it's two U (blue) devotion as opposed to something like Vaporkin which is just 1. The fact that it is incidentally more useful against any red or green matchup (RG Monsters is huge right now) is a perk.

It also just happens that being able to block grounders is extremely important in opposing aggro matchups, as well.

That makes sense but my experience with aggro mirrors is that it's a race and nobody bothers blocking until they're low on life. I get the devotion bonus but I just get tons of work out of my Vaporkins and it seems worth the tradeoff to me. If you can race faster than they can that extra Elemental token shouldn't matter that much.

Then again, I don't play in PTQs or against PTQ-level players :)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mikujin posted:

The only time Vaporkin could be relevant vs. aggro is in the mirror-match, since against RG/RDW/MonoG Tidebinder actually disables an attacker which completely slows the race.

I totally agree, which is why I have 3 Tidebinders in my sideboard. If my local meta had more red and green I'd make it 4.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I got inspired yesterday and started tossing together ideas for decks. Here's something I came up with based on the RG Monsters core:

I really want to squeeze in 4 Lightning Strikes because targeted removal is a playstyle thing for me. My first thought was to cut both Xenagos, but then I can't decide what else to cut. I'm also not sure if I should cut Xenagos or not. He might end up going in the sideboard against control but I dunno.

Any suggestions?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Seems like mono green with Voyaging Satyr, a Nykthos, and 5 or 6 devotion of the board would be enough to dump out a pile of big stuff for a lethal swing next turn.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

I don't know why people are playing Weird's in their RDW's. I would much rather play Radkos Shredfreak's.

Ash Zealot.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Algid posted:

He's talking about blocking ash zealots.

No I meant that Ash Zealot is better than either Rakdos Shred-Freak or Frostburn Weird.

I think people running Weird are trying to maximize versatility. Weird can block or attack (with mana) effectively, whereas Shred-Freak is pretty much just an early Haste swing for a turn or 2.

Personally I don't run any of those in my new RDW deck. I have 4 Gore-house Chainwalkers and 4 Firefist Strikers instead because Chainwalker is 3/2 for 2 and Firefist negates their biggest blocker. Also I can Burning-Tree into both of them. Then again I'm not maximizing devotion. 4 BTE + 4 Boros Reckoner is plenty of devotion for when Fanatic of Mogis hits.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So I was seeing people running white weenies and splashing red for Boros Charm, and I was wondering if I could do something similar with an RDW variant, splashing white for Boros Charm. Here's what I came up with:

Should I just not even bother?

Also, I'm trading for a Chandra, Pyromaster on Friday so she'll be in there. What should I take out for her? I'm thinking a Magma Jet but if the Boros Charms are a bad idea then I'll just move all the white (including lands) to the sideboard against Control because Control is the only matchup I'm worried about in my local meta.

One more thing; I originally had 3 Legion's Initiative in the main deck because they did tons of work for me in the prototype version of the deck. Even if I'm not up against Control, that +1/+0 for all my creatures was pretty scary for most of my opponents, and potentially having a 4/4 Reckoner on turn 3 was terrifying. Additional Initiatives made him even bigger. What do you guys think of putting them back in?

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 23, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Korak posted:

Yeah I've noticed people running more controlly type decks can play off color scry lands and confuse your opponent occasionally. Confusing people with Esper when you're just UW sounds like an amazing idea.

People are terrified of Thoughtseize, and rightfully so.

Loot Pinata posted:

This is similar to an approach to deckbuilding called "The Elephant Method". You list out all of your expected matchups (so you'd probably have mono-red, mono-black, mono-blue, Gruul aggro, and UWx Control right now), then figure out your ideal 60 cards for each one. The cards they all have in common form the bulk of your main deck, and the parts where they differ are the start of your sideboard.

Zvi writes about it here: http://www.starcitygames.com/article/26317_The-Elephant-Method-A-Case-Study.html

Thanks for the article. That's really helpful!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mikujin posted:

The short answer is don't both. The long answer is that in this deck (and I tested a bunch of splash-white in my RDW before settling on mono-red) Boros Charm simply ends up doing for WR what Shock and Jet do for R and 1R respectively: get you through enemy blockers one way or another (in this case double-strike or indestructibility). And the worst part is that being harder to cast makes it a totally dead card. White decks splash into stuff like Charm because their creature removal is weak and usually combat-trick-oriented, whereas red already gets removal AND reach out of their burn spells. That, and tap-lands are abhorrent when you crack a hand with 1 drops, 2 drops, and just 2 lands, since you end up trying to figure out where you sacrifice steam in an aggro deck (you don't want to do this).

I also noticed you are playing the heavy 1-drop/2-drop RDW plan, and while it's good, I found it to be relatively weak against other creature-based strategies. Selesnya, for example, is already a hard match-up with cheap efficient dudes, and this deck folds even harder to them.

Chandra is a great one-of in the main, and I ended up eventually revising my 75 after the event to get 2 more in there (total 3) instead of 2 because of how good she was in the match-ups she was good in. As CRAZY as it sounds, you probably want to drop a creature for her - since 10 burns for removal/reach is pretty much exactly where you want to be.

You don't want Legion's Initiative. In addition to potentially sacrificing tempo to get the colors you need, red would really just rather throw down more guys and swing. Lump this in with the Boros Charm - cards white weenies splash for because they lack the awesome red stuff. You can often present lethal by 4 anyways, so they better be packing lots of removal.

Cards that I noticed you are not running that in this build you absolutely should be: Mutavaults. When you're playing the heavy 1-drop deck, I've found they are absolutely critical. Going T1 dude, T2 Vault/Striker, T3 animate swing through blocks is great, and still leaves you an open mana on 3 to play another 1-drop.

Cards that I noticed you are running that you probably really shouldn't: Fanatic of Mogis. With only a pair of reliable devotion builders (BTE + Reckoner) this guy really isn't going to perform in this deck. On average he'll probably end up shooting for only 3 or 4 when you want him to constantly present threat of dropping for 5+. Not only that, but when you're running a tight curve on the 1-3 with 19 lands (some of which should be 'Vaults!) he really just doesn't become the guy you want him to be. Which is a shame, because I absolutely LOVE this guy.

Cards that I noticed you are not running that you probably should be: Shock, Ash Zealot, and Chandra's Phoenix. The former two are absolutely amazing. Against control players, you can drop shock T1 and not feel bad about it. Against weenie players it's almost always going to be R: Kill a dude, which is ALWAYS good for keeping the line clear for your guys to swing. Ash Zealot is another amazing creature this deck really loves. I know it doesn't play nice with BTE on T2, but haste is extremely relevant, and First Strike is absolutely great against other creature-oriented decks sine you can swing into normally unprofitable blocks and zap a guy to make First Strike take the guy down. Just as importantly, if you want to play Fanatic it builds devotion for you like a champ. The last of the three cards is one I SEVERELY underrated and thought to cut in favour of 1-drops. Once again, haste is incredibly relevant against all decks. And secondly, there are only a small number of creatures seeing play that stop Phoenix: Spectres, Demons, Raptors, and Colossi. Among those, you can clear 2 with burn and get in. The OTHER important thing Phoenix does is resist removal. When you can EOT burn your opponent as they pass back to you, untap and re-cast a 2/2 haster you're living in value-town. In a hand with Zealot, BTE, and Phoenix, you can also T2 swing 2 haste, T3 play Phoenix off BTE (assuming you have triple red up) and get in for more hasty damage.

To be frank I think the not-Cackler 1 drops are just not that amazing. Satyr looks really good on paper, but can really put you in a bad place if they have ANY 1 or 2 drops. Running Satyr into Soldier of the Pantheon is a losing proposition. Not only that, but if your meta is heavy with OTHER red decks, shocks, jets, and strikes 2-for-1 him so hard it's unbelievable. And if you want to play Fanatic, you should probably run 20-21 land. Even at 21 land in my main I wasn't hitting 4 on 4 reliably. Trying to do that on 19 land is even harder.

Thanks for the huge pile of feedback. I really appreciate it. :)

I agree with some of the stuff you said and I disagree with others. Here we go:

First, I'll go ahead and just go mono-red. That's not a big deal. Control is my biggest meta worry so I'm gonna put 3 Boros Charm, 3 Legion's Initiative, 3 Temple of Triumph, 3 Sacred Foundry, and probably 3 Anger of the Gods in the sideboard. Everything but the Angers are for the Control matchup. Everything I'm confident I can beat except mon-blue and that's what the Angers are for. Yeah it can't kill Master of Waves but I don't care. It's either that or Skullcrack and I'm still deliberating between the two.

Next, I'm comparing this deck to the Gruul one I had pre-rotation. I'm trying to do something very similar. That deck had 20 land and exactly 4 4-drops, all of which were Hellriders. With this deck I'm trying to maintain the same curve, so it only has 4 4-drops in the form of Fanatic. I don't need him to do more than 5 or 6 when he hits because at that point it's probably lethal.

I love Ash Zealot to death but she simply does not fit in this deck because she argues with BTE too much. In the Gruul deck last rotation I could keep them both in there together simply because of Rancor. I had ways to spend that extra green. In this deck they just can't co-exist IMHO. I want 4 Chainwalkers in there because he's 3 power for 2 mana, and I want Firefist Strikers in because evasion, and both of them fit perfectly with BTE. Also, since I'm going to be running Mutavaults in the mono-red version, I don't want the Mutavaults disagreeing with Ash Zealot in my opening hand either. I'm only going to run 3 Mutavaults so that they don't disagree too much with BTE. 4 BTE I'm willing to risk but not 4 BTE and 4 Zealots. That's too much demand for red mana all at once.

Next, I'm not going to maximize devotion with Zealots or Weirds or Phoenixes. I tried the Phoenix and just did not like it. I was never happy to see it and never needed to bring it back much. The evasion is nice but if I'm at the point where I need to bring it back I'm in bad shape already. I feel like RDW needs to be optimized for speed more than devotion, and the devotion I have with 4 Reckoners and 4 BTEs is enough.

I dropped Magma Jet for Shock. I agree on the importance of it being only 1 mana. I've had some great results with Magma Jet in testing, especially a couple times where it let me put 2 lands on the bottom when I already had 4 in play, but I'm trying not to let confirmation bias get the best of me. I already ran some sims with Shock and it does work better because I can cast it more often. This deck doesn't often get more than 3 land in play before winning so anything that increases mana efficiency counts.

Chandra is expensive and only 1 person is willing to trade 1 to me so I won't be getting more of her until probably next year. If I'm lucky it'll be next month. In the meantime I'm running a singleton Magma Jet in her place because reasons. I want at least 2 of her in the final version of the deck.

Malgrin posted:

I honestly think this deck, in general, is the best deck in standard right now. As the meta shifts, we'll see. I don't like the two mainboard whips. I'd run at most 1. I'm currently running 0 main, 1 side. I think sin collector should be in the sideboard, as he's bad against enough decks. I'd up the Bones, removal is fine. I also like 3 Obzedat main, no BBoVs. I have 1 in SB.

Mono-blue aggro is the best Standard deck right now. That may change now that it dominated a big tournament, but we'll see how the meta works out. The first deck I built post-rotation is mono-blue aggro and the only thing that can touch it is Control and the mirror. The mirror is a matter of skill and luck while Control is handled with good sideboarding.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 24, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

kzin602 posted:

I want izzet blitz to work sooo bad, but whenever I end up trying to build one out I have to splash in white, it becomes a Boros-esque midrangy deck and frankly I refuse to compromise.
until then : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0

I don't think Izzet can work in a Blitz way. It's too slow. It's still a good solid foundation to build on and it's FNM viable though. Here's what I brought to the first FNM after Theros came out:

It came in 2nd, losing only to UW Control with Haunted Armor and Mutavault in the last round. I loving hate Control. :argh:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Waffleopolis posted:

On the subject of my R/W aggro deck, would using Cavalry Pegasus in my deck. While it wouldn't affect the Nivmagus Elemental or the elementals formed by young pyromancers, it would give all my other creatures flying (including the Akroan Crusader soldier tokens...I think). Either way it's a great way to bypass defenses.

You think it would be a good idea to put 3 of them in my deck while taking out 1 Akroan Crusader, 1 Favored Hoplite, and 1 Young Pyromancer?

For what it's worth, when I was tossing around ideas for a white weenie deck, my final list had 2 of those in there. That's an mid-game threat that needs to be dealt with immediately. if you're lucky you could even send over a Precinct Captain on turn 4 and beyond for flying tokens that could flap over on subsequent turns. :haw:

Mikujin posted:

I'm actually thinking about Shred Freak in my RDW to get around Doom Blade. Haste is relevant, and Cacklers have been doing so much work in those matchups.

It also gets around Ultimate Price :laugh: This is another reason that Nightveil Specter is so good now.

edit: Holy poo poo, Nightveils are $9+ now?!?! I'm glad I got my playset right after Theros hit.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 24, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mikujin posted:

Unless your meta is laden with Boros decks, I found Peak Eruption to be pretty useless. Similarly, I found Burning Earth to be marginal in the matchups it's GOOD in, and would rather have just kept in shock or another burn.

However if your meta has a lot of red it's probably the best sideboard card you can have against that entire color. It's a hard counter to Chained to the Rocks, it can blast any dual that counts as a Mountain, which is even more hilarious if they played it untapped and took 2 from it. Additionally it can just shut down their first Mountain drop. I did it a couple times at Game Day. Totally crippled a Rakdos aggro player and a Boros player by taking out their first Mountain. They got to use it once and then they didn't draw any more after that for several turns.

Burning Earth is too slow. It's only good against Control I've found, and even by the time you drop it they've already got a land advantage.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I've found that my love for Magma Jet and my desire to keep 1 or 2 in my RDW is the hardest decision to make. On one hand, if you're trying to win by turn 4 or 5, you shouldn't care about setting up draws or clearing land out of the way. However, if you end up getting only 2 mana on the board by turn 3 or so, a Magma jet can help you find some. Also, if you're not going to win on turn 4 or 5 and you need a little extra steam, clearing away 1-drop and/or land to potentially draw something better is a great thing, or as a post-sweeper move.

Then again, it's 2 mana vs. 1 for Shock, and all my testing has shown that Magma Jet sits in my hand most of the time while Shock gets used often because I'm able to cast it more often and I don't need the scrying often. I only have 1 Chandra right now but as soon as I get a 2nd one I'm dropping my single Magma Jet for her because even though I love the card, it really is the most easily droppable card from the list.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tubgoat posted:

Is everyone consistently chaining BTE but me? Whenever I run her, I'm always disappointed past turn 3 when I draw spares. Could not her set be replaced with a pair of Legion Loyalist and a pair of either Mugging or Magma Jet? Mugging has been less disappointing that I initially assessed (and if anyone has any non-foil French ones at a reasonable price, please let me know) and it can always be turned into faceburn by pointing at the one's Reckoner. I'd probably favor Magma Jet, though. Loyalist trigger helps negate Firedrinker's downside.

You have bad luck. BTE is the 2nd best card in my RDW after Boros Reckoner. I'd suggest more testing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Bosushi! posted:

I played a variation of Mikujin's RDW at the last FNM and got crushed, going, 1-3. I'm not trying to poo poo talk Mikujin's deck. I know it's a good build, and he has the results to prove it, but it seemed like I couldn't do anything against all the drat Detention Spheres and Supreme Verdicts. I also could never seem to draw my Skullcracks at the right time to prevent any lifegain. One game I got owned by a Boros deck that had combat tricks with Boros Charm and God's Willing to help swing the board state in his favor. I found it interesting and thought it might be able to deal with control a little better, so I came up with my own version.

My dream scenario is to get Legion's Initiative out along with Purphoros and/or Fanatic and a couple of other creatures to exploit the ETB triggers. Legion's Initiative also has the bonus effect of nullifying Supreme Verdict.

Please go easy on me, it's my first non-net deck since I've come back from a long hiatus. :smith:

Put the Boros stuff and some RW duals in your sideboard.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

Is there still a convincing reason to play UW control over Esper? The lists are looking really similar these days. Is a more ambitious mana base worth being able to play Hero's Downfall, Blood Baron and Thoughtseize?

No to your first question and yes to your second. Thoughtseize alone is worth splashing black for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mikujin posted:

Gonna be off to another event this weekend piloting my updated RDW list! Sounds like a buddy of mine is going to loan some of my Thoughseizes (what the hell I do have like 7 :psyduck:) and Hero's Downfall to play mono-black. Additionally, another guy I know will be piloting a nearly identical RDW list, and fellow goon KingofSprings will be doing something similar there.

Wish us luck!

As a fellow RDW player I hope you and your friend are victorious. I'd love to see an after-action report when you get back.

• Locked thread