Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

AlternateNu posted:

To the deck: I would actually mainboard the Soldiers of the Pantheon. He's a huge one drop and even if your opponent doesn't throw out Rakdos Cackler or Dryad Militant turn 1, it is big damage for a fast heroic deck. That having been said, I would either throw in a second Ajani or sideboard him. Planeswalkers don't do much for you. (It would be nice if he triggered heroic but sadly...)

I would also swap out the divine favors for Act of Valor (or better...two more Dauntless Onslaughts) since sorcery speed 2-for-1-able pumps are pretty shaky.
I think I can live without Ajani. That was the only card I wasn't able to trade into today based on this deck list, and I think you're right.

I also think you're right about getting rid of the Divine Favors, even if Ethereal Armor is the major theme that'll still leave 16 enchantment cards in the deck. Having those Hopeful Eidolons helps.

I need to try and figure out where the Soldiers of the Pantheon will go, but now that I think about it with Phalanx Leader and Fabled Hero I'm don't think I'd ever really plan to target the Favored Hoplite unless it was a last resort.

Also, how do you feel about the removal, that's the biggest question I have. I guess it's an aggro deck so I'm okay with the Brave and Gods Willing as "avoidance" to sneak damage through, and then the Pacifism and Spear of Heliod and combat tricks for bigger threats. Should I upgrade Pacifism to Arrest? Sideboard's a blank slate, everything in there now is a "possible/placeholder."

Finally, would Mutavault fit in this? I pulled a Stormbreath in this week's draft and I also have an M14 Chandra so even if it's a budget deck I could trade those for 3 Mutavaults if there's a possibility for value in doing 3 + 18 Plains instead of 21 Plains.

Thanks for the help!

Deck: WW Ethereal

//Lands
21 Plains

//Spells
3 Brave the Elements
3 Chosen by Heliod
4 Dauntless Onslaught
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Gods Willing
2 Pacifism
2 Spear of Heliod

//Creatures
4 Fabled Hero
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
4 Hopeful Eidolon
4 Phalanx Leader

//Sideboard
4 Avenging Arrow
3 Banisher Priest
3 Celestial Flare
2 Congregate
3 Smite
4 Glare of Heresy

Display deck statistics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

AlternateNu posted:

Here's the kicker. You should decide on two major things: 1. how fast you want your deck to be and 2. how important is the heroic mechanic for you. Right now, you're looking to be lower-mid-range-ish. You have 8 x 1-drops, but Eidolon is better used as an aura. It appears your big damage is going to be Gods Willing or Brave the Elements a Fabled Hero and pump him all to hell for massive double-strike.

You're not looking to be on the defensive at all. (And mind you, the Gods Willing and Braves are just as good offensive options as defensive, so they don't really count.) Therefore, I would take out the Pacifisms and Chosen by Heliods. They don't up your attack, and you can ignore defenders with GWs and Braves.

This is one of those decks that wants consistency more than anything. You want 4 x of's for everything you're expecting to draw multiples of.

But, if you're willing to make your deck a little slower, and you want enchantments to help with Ethereal Armor and screw with your opponent, you could throw in Blind Obedience. It kills hasters, leaves your opponent open at extra turn, and lets you use random stray mana to ping your opponent with Extort. (That does mean you'd probably want to bump the top of your mana curve to 4 or 5 though.)
I'm gonna run some tests with both of the options you've laid out here, but I'm leaning toward the faster one. If I cut Pacifism and Chosen, that leaves 5 spots. I put Brave up from 3 to 4, that leaves 4 slots. I didn't see any worthwhile Enchantments or Heroic creatures in the block at this point.

Looking at white Instants available, Battlewise Valor and Shielded Passage look like possible options, and I also see Show of Valor and Swift Justice.

I'll play around with it this week and see what I can come back with, thanks so much for giving me some direction from my unfocused starting point. Just looking at it now it feels better than where I started.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I took the deck from the first page, with the help you guys provided, to Game Day:

Deck: WW Ethereal

//Lands
18 Plains
3 Mutavault

//Spells
4 Brave the Elements
4 Dauntless Onslaught
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Gods Willing
4 Swift Justice
2 Spear of Heliod

//Creatures
4 Fabled Hero
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
4 Hopeful Eidolon
4 Phalanx Leader

//Sideboard
3 Immortal Servitude
3 Rest in Peace
3 Sundering Growth
2 Ratchet Bomb
4 Glare of Heresy

Display deck statistics

I went 2-1, winning round 1 against Selesnya Beatdown 2-0 and round 2 against Rakdos Control 2-1 before getting crushed by a super expensive Esper Control deck 0-2 in the finals.

I started playing again in July and this was the first time I managed to win prize packs, so I'm extremely happy that it was with a deck that I mostly came up with on my own, and that goons helped. It was fun to play, too.

The 8 attendance shows why this shop does drafts only, because those get really good attendance on Wednesday and Friday every week. But since the next Game Day isn't until March the Organizer said he might run Standard once a month. I'm thinking of trying to built Murder Goats next.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Swiped this deck from the Salvation forums "competitive budget standard" or whatever thread and put it together cheap on MTGO, but it's so fun to play that I'm thinking "I want to spend a few bucks to improve this."

Deck: Black Sucks by Bad Mojo

//Lands
24 Swamp

//Spells
4 Corrupt
3 Devour Flesh
4 Sanguine Bond
2 Underworld Connections
2 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
4 Child of Night
3 Disciple of Phenax
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
2 Tavern Swindler
4 Thrill-Kill Assassin
4 Thrull Parasite

Display deck statistics

Biggest problem is the curve, basically you have to hope to survive until you can do like turn 5 Sanguine Bond, turn 6/7 Gary/Corrupt. That creature base is pretty bad and I think that's the key place where improvement can happen.

I was going to say Nightveil Specter but I'm not sure I want to spend $30 just to improve 4 cards of a $10 deck. In the limited testing so far online though, you just aren't attacking much so I guess I want to try to find a better curve with ETB effects and/or biggest toughness just to buy you time to get to turn 6.

Creature Possibilities: Corpse Blockade, Crypt Ghast, Cryptborn Horror, Erebos God of the Dead, Grim Roustabout, Returned Phalanx
Enchantment/Devotion Possibilities: Dark Prophecy, Dying Wish

Also, since there isn't a lot at the 4 spot on the curve, would it be worth running Diabolic Tutor to help make sure you can get the final combo piece you need or even a land? Even with the Underworld Connections I am thinking you're going to want to put in Read the Bones (or Dark Prophecy) in some form to make sure the combo comes up.

There's a definite lack of removal, but that hasn't been a huge problem so far in the games I've played. Also taking sideboard suggestions. I figure Doom Blade, Ultimate Price, and Duress are probably givens in this price range.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
In Murderfarm, at what point are you generally trying to cast Rakdos's Return? I have the old build so it's in sideboard, so for that matter, what kinds of decks is it good against? Is it supposed to be a lategame topdeck where you use all your mana?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah, the Islands and Swamps in Portal Second Age are really great.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah, this Infect deck costs $10 or less and has 8 uncommons (Necropede and Plague Myr) so you'd just have to swap 3 of them for something else.

http://www.mtgvault.com/sway/decks/hyper-budget-infect/

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
There is Barrage of Expendables as a pure red sac outlet, so at least you'd still be able to run the Treason/Sac combo.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
So it would look something like this to start?

//Artifact (2)
2 Trading Post

//Artifact Creature (4)
4 Akroan Horse

//Creature (4)
4 Young Pyromancer

//Enchantment (11)
3 Assemble the Legion
4 Barrage of Expendables
4 Chained to the Rocks

//Instant (4)
4 Lightning Strike

//Enchantment Creature (3)
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge

//Planeswalker (2)
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

//Sorcery (6)
4 Act of Treason
2 Portent of Betrayal

//Land (24)
12 Mountain
4 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

http://www.mtgvault.com/bocot/decks/angelhorse/

I really want to try it out except I do not want to spend $80 to get 2 Elspeths and 4 Sacred Foundrys

EDIT: Hm, the curve is dead at 3, I bet this deck would really like Boros Keyrune to try and power down the Assemble turn 4, then you could just put the Purphoros down on turn 5.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 29, 2013

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Threw this pile together on MODO to further screw around with "what other types of Murdergoats can we build?" I wanted to build the cheapest version that anybody could make to try this kind of deck out. So far it's been quite fun.

I didn't even want to spend money, so I didn't put Purphoros in. But with him I think the deck probably gets way better. As it stands, the only "expensive" card in the deck is Young Pyromancer.

Deck: Mono Red Barrage

//Lands
24 Mountain

//Spells
4 Act of Treason
4 Barrage of Expendables
4 Lightning Strike
4 Molten Birth
4 Portent of Betrayal
4 Shock

//Creatures
4 Akroan Horse
4 Guttersnipe
4 Young Pyromancer

Display deck statistics

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
All right I have been consumed by this deck since Sunday, playing a lot of matches on MODO in both the For Fun and Tournament Practice areas. I might just pay the $6 and try out a Daily event because its success is reasonable enough and it's a blast to play. I even bought the bullet and put up the $14 to grab 3 Purphoros to make it better. Here's the current version:

Deck: Mono Red Barrage

//Lands
24 Mountain

//Spells
4 Act of Treason
4 Barrage of Expendables
4 Magma Jet
4 Molten Birth
3 Portent of Betrayal
4 Shock

//Creatures
3 Akroan Horse
3 Guttersnipe
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
4 Dynacharge
4 Lightning Strike
4 Skullcrack
3 Vandalblast

Display deck statistics
Leads to fun things like people Detention Sphere-ing Barrage of Expendables or Akroan Horse. It's also never not huge fun to steal their big threat and get rid of it. I'm not 100% sure it's better than Murdergoats but it's certainly cheaper.

Areas of question:
1. Magma Jet currently main for the Scry to get into your deck. Lightning Strike comes in when you see their playing Nightveil or whatever and you really need to down 3 toughness. Is this a bad idea?
2. Sometimes you do get stuck with additional Purphs or Barrages, is there room for Wild Guess?
3. If I build this in real life, how many Mutavaults should go in, since I have them. Standard 3?
4. The 3s on the above list were originally 4s that I lowered to put in the Purphoros, do those seem like the right places to take away from to make room?
5. Any sideboard suggestions? I haven't ever gotten use out of Dynacharge but now that I think about it Purphoros has Dynacharge built in so that's 4 slots that could be used for other things.
6. Still not 100% sure Portent of Betrayal is better than Traitorous Instinct, but I'll have to do further tests.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah, Anger of the Gods caused me some trouble. Although a lot of times it was running with Frostburn Weird and at least I was able to sac a token to Barrage to make sure they lost their Weird in the exchange.

Oh, now that I think about it the thing that obviously needs to go in the sideboard in place of Dynacharge is Mizzium Mortars. That might even be good enough to go main board over Magma Jet since it does double the damage. At least it's a good card to hold back as a mana sink when the game starts to go long.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This one takes a different path (all in on Spellheart) but it does pretty well in the videos:
http://www.mtgoacademy.com/mtg-cribbs-23-blue-red-young-pyromancer-in-standard/

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

bhsman posted:

It gives RB a couple of sweeps between this, Anger of the Gods, and overloaded Mizzium Mortars. The meta might lurch back towards control enough to justify more Trading Posts.
If that's the case, might it be worth swapping Tymaret for Barrage and then just playing like mostly sweepers some Dreadbore or whatever? Or does the 2 vs. 1 damage make up for Tymaret not surviving the sweeps (even with the mana-intensive way to bring him back)?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Conley Woods put a video out today with the W/R Angelfarm, although this is a first build and Trading Post isn't in. Purphoros, Assemble, removal. Pretty good results.

http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/rogues-gallery-standard-rw-control/

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah, Mono Red Barrage went fine enough in the casual room on MTGO before I put the Purphoros in, it is just harder to win consistently. You can still have fun with the deck.

I didn't try Wild Guess or Chandra's Phoenix but both seem very good for when the game starts to go long.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Heard on the GP Vancouver commentary someone Top 8ed or maybe won a PTQ with Mono Black Aggro. Didn't quite hear details of who/where, but they were saying the deck ran Agent of the Fates, Nighthowler, Gift of Orzhova, and even Wring Flesh (triggers Agent without killing it). Anyone else hear of this or know how to find a list? Google's not helping.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I couldn't find it on mtgtop8, but I did find it on the Wizards GP Vancouver coverage site:

Paul Dunn: GP Vancouver Trial Winning Deck

//Main
4 Mutavault
20 Swamp
4 Agent of the Fates
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
4 Nighthowler
4 Pack Rat
4 Tormented Hero
3 Gift of Orzhova
2 Hero's Downfall
4 Thoughtseize
3 Underworld Connections
4 Wring Flesh

//Sideboard
4 Dark Betrayal
4 Doom Blade
3 Duress
4 Pharika's Cure

Display deck statistics

I'd have to get the Thoughtseizes, but that looks efficient as hell and really fun to play.

EDIT: I'm not 100% clear what a GP Trial is, but Paul Dunn was listed at 18 points after round 8 so that means the deck is 6-2, right? Or I guess the GP Trial gives a 2-round bye (thanks Google) so that means he's 4-2 with it in actual play.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 26, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's a Minotaur deck template from pro Frank Karsten:
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/spoiler-spotlight-ragemonger/

quote:

Main Deck
4 Thoughtseize
2 Rakdos Cackler
3 Dreadbore
4 Deathbellow Raider
2 Felhide Brawler
4 Ragemonger
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Rageblood Shaman
4 Fanatic of Mogis
1 Mogis, God of Slaughter
4 Kragma Warcaller
4 Mutavault
4 Temple of Malice
4 Blood Crypt
3 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Godless Shrine
7 Mountain
Sideboard
3 Minotaur Skullcleaver
3 Drown in Sorrow
2 Duress
2 Doom Blade
1 Rakdos Guildgate
1 Dark Betrayal
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Hammer of Purphoros
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This is the Purphoros deck I'm almost finished building, although for now it's a link to save for when Tapped Out comes back up:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/purphoros-driven-life/

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Been helping another goon PotatoSan work on this Simic +1/+1 Counters-themed Standard deck, looking for further tips on it:

Deck: PotatoSan - Simic Counters

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
9 Forest
5 Island
4 Temple of Mystery

//Spells
2 Bioshift
2 Bow of Nylea
2 Curse of the Swine
1 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
4 Simic Charm

//Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic
2 Kalonian Hydra
2 Kiora's Follower
2 Master Biomancer
4 Mistcutter Hydra
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
1 Prime Speaker Zegana
4 Prophet of Kruphix
3 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Thassa, God of the Sea
2 Vorel of the Hull Clade

//Sideboard
2 Cloudfin Raptor
2 Forced Adaptation
2 Mortal's Resolve
2 Plummet
2 Spell Rupture
2 Zameck Guildmage
2 Scourge of Skola Vale
1 Prime Speaker Zegana

Display deck statistics

Sideboard is WIP and actually mostly has cards he cut from previous versions of the deck.

After playing it some, my main suggestions for additions were:
-Cut Gyre Sage for Kiora's Follower, allows you to reuse tap effects of monsters, or block
-Cut Stratus Walk and 2 Nylea for 2 Thassa and 2 Curse of the Swine
-Cut a Bioshift to bring Prime Speaker back in at the top of the curve
-Cut Polukranos for 3rd Carytid to smooth out ramp, may need more ramp because bottom of curve is slow

And so this is the version of the deck he has now.

I did just notice looking over this that Master Biomancer is looking very weak here, I bet those need to go in favor of Polukranos that way there are more than just 7 finishers. Mainly I think he needs to find room for Cyclonic Rift and/or more Curse of the Swine because he needs to hold them off long enough to get his finishers online. But I am not sure that is the right direction for the deck. It started as an GTC-heavy Simic Evolve deck but has slowly moved towards I guess a Simic Prophet-themed big monsters deck.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

jassi007 posted:

has anyone played with or against the Boros Burn deck? I'm considering taking this over my Rw devotion list to Richmond if I happen to play any standard events.

http://deckbox.org/sets/625001

It looks like its so simple but has so much game against all the top decks, except maybe GR monsters being a tough match.
There's a CFB video from a few days ago with a 4-0 in a daily with that deck including 3-0 against against mono black without dropping a game. It looked really fun to me.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I did a Google search for Ogre Slumlord Gift of Immortality and found this, seems to be the list. I am probably going to order that today to play next week because I have half the cards and why not, I hate my two other Standard decks currently.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gift-of-immortality-shenanigans/

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

OssiansFolly posted:

Thats definitely the list!

Let me know how that goes...I have most the cards and thought the strategy was really neat and fun.
I don't know how much I'll be able to test prior to playing in the league in a week, but I think that default list linked looks fine except I'm cutting 2 Drainpipe Vermin to replace with 2 Pack Rat. If I have a chance to test I may try to find room for Immortal Servitude, since doing that for 5 reanimates almost all of the deck. It also seems like the sideboard needs serious work but I guess the main idea with the current sideboard list is "the deck is weakest to aggro creature dumps, how do we fix that."

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Don't you want Mizzium Skin to protect the Chimera, since it's basically your only win condition?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
LightReaper:
Any changes from this list for the Spellheart Chimera deck since you posted it on 3/16?
http://deckbox.org/sets/643617
That's what I'm starting with for now.

For you and anyone else, the two cards I'm most interested in their absence are: Dispel and Rapid Hybridization. Turn definitely seems like the strongest spell in the deck because it is so versatile for removing something that's out of burn range. Rapid seems like a similar alternative, and in a pinch you can even "evolve" your tokens.

Then again I can see where there's not a lot of room for cuts, so I don't know what you'd even stick in there. Same problem with trying to shoehorn Curse of the Swine in the board to cast pre-Anger or pre-Mortars.

Also, since you aren't happy with the mana for Dissolve, is there a reason you're not running Guildgates even if they are so much worse than Scrylands?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Today on Reid Duke's video on Channel Fireball he got matched up in round 1 against AZORIUS REANIMATOR and it looks like the best bad deck I have ever seen in my life:

List he played against was not exactly this, but close:
azorius reanimator
By: foxtel
Type II
Archive: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1192100

Main Deck:
4 Auramancer
3 Banisher Priest
3 Eidolon of Countless Battles
4 Fiendslayer Paladin

4 Chronic Flooding
4 Codex Shredder
2 Detention Sphere
3 Immortal Servitude
2 Psychic Spiral
1 Soul Tithe
4 Supreme Verdict

4 Azorius Guildgate
4 Hallowed Fountain
5 Island
9 Plains
4 Temple of Enlightenment

Sideboard:
3 Azorius Charm
2 Blind Obedience
2 Detention Sphere
2 Domestication
3 Gainsay
2 Perplexing Chimera
1 Thassa, God of the Sea

Idea is that you Chronic Flooding and Codex Shredder yourself and stall/Wrath until you get up to 6 mana to cast Immortal Servitude on 3.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Naya Hexproof is the 8th most popular Standard deck on MTG Goldfish http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/9955

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Nothing major to report so far on Izzet Spellheart from LightReaper, but here are my notes so far:

I made a crappy build on MODO to get used to the deck overall and all I learned was that Aetherize/Disperse/Essence Scatter aren't really any good compared to Mizzium Mortars and Cyclonic Rift. No brainer. Prognostic Sphinx is neat, Scry 3 is very good in this deck but overall it isn't in the same league as Aetherling.

Got to play 2 rounds casual at the shop tonight with the real version. I decided to run the full 4 Guildgates in mine based on mana ratio math. Didn't cause any issues so far.

First was against a weird WBr aggro deck and I lost the first game quite handily but I think I just didn't draw a particularly good mixture of spells. Game 2 (no board) he didn't draw any land so nothing there.

Then I did a proper match against GW. Experiment One, Voice, Smiter, Advent, Call of the Conclave, all of that. Game 1 I used Young Pyromancer tokens (drew 3 YPs) to hold off long enough to win a race against his big guys.

Sided out YP, Guttersnipe and Quicken, brought in 3 Anger, 2 Fated, 3 Searing Blood. In the beginning I hold him off. I have to play through 2 Voices and an Advent, but I have a hand full of burn. He gets me all the way down to 4 when I stablize away the 2 Voice tokens and a third thing with Anger of the Gods. I tap out for Aetherling because his board is clear and I need to make sure I have a blocker and what the hell removal is he going to have for GW? He uses Selesnya Charm to pump Aetherling then a second charm to exile it. Then next round he plays Advent and I use double Izzet Charm to counter.

So we're both in top-deck mode, but for real. My Aetherling was gone so I literally just had the 4 Spellheart Chimera in my deck as my win-con. Still, everything in my deck is gas because I only ever have to do 1-for-1. Finally we both have like 15 lands out and I get the Spellheart. He's on 14 because of 2 early Searing Bloods, I'm still on 4. I drop it and he casts the card he's been holding for a few turns: Plummet. SURPRISE I cast Turn on my dude to make it an 0/1 without flying and counter his spell. Then I swing in for 16 because that's how many spells were in my graveyard.

I love the deck and am excited to play it in the league on Sunday. I am also excited to finally get the drat scry lands in the last set, plus see if Keranos can add anything.

I'd say we should try something else instead of Quicken in that slot. I cycled it 3 times on the night and did not really like seeing it. But I don't know what would be the best to add.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 5, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Sunday League Report: Izzet Spellheart by LightReaper
3 rounds, only 6 people showed up but it was fine. Again running that exact list except turned 2 Mountain and 2 Island into 4 Izzet Guildgates. No issue with the taplands costing me the game or anything.

Round 1: Big Boros or something. This seemed to be a mostly Gatecrash deck with Soldier of the Pantheon but also just a lot of actual Boros cards like Aurelia's Fury, Firemane Avenger, and Tajic.

Game 1 he had powerful high CC creatures in hand so his early game was slow and I was able to 1-for-1 until I could get there with Spellheart. I think I stabilized on like 4 life. Highlight was him saying "I got this" with Boros Charm Double Strike right into Overloaded Cyclonic Rift.
Game 2 he was much faster and I didn't draw anything good to prop up and iffy keep. I may have mulliganed on this one, I can't remember.
Game 3 I got there again. Steam Augury was great. After 2 Searing Blood early he was on 14 and my Chimera was on 10, I cast Steam Augury but I didn't separate the piles right so I had to hold off an extra turn to kill him. I think he could have actually won if he tapped differently as well, but two wrongs made a right and I won.

Round 2: Mono Black
I got crushed 2-0. Gray Merchant wasn't a huge factor, but both games he went wild on Underworld Connections so I didn't have enough threats to avoid his pile of removal.

Round 3: Also Mono Black. I was dreading this because I'd just lost to the different Mono Black.
Game 1 I drew 3 of my 4 Turn/Burns so I was able to handle his Desecration Demons. Didn't draw Connections or Grey Merchant, so I was actually able to get there including the insane Double Izzet Charm to blow out his double Nightveil block of Chimera and have like 12 trample over.
Game 2 he kept Swamp Double Thoughtseize. Took both of the sided-in Essence Scatters from my hand, but then didn't draw enough lands so never got up and running above my removal draws. So I happily took 2-0 against Mono Black to go 2-1 on the day. Finally, a Standard result good enough to compliment my 3-0 and 2-1 Modern finishes.

Quicken definitely needs to go from the deck. Steam Augury was amazing every time I cast it, and it's just a super fun card to cast and do the skill test. Turn/Burn is also so good. I think I'm going to maybe move Negate to main deck as protection for Spellheart. Maybe try Rapid Hybridization in the sideboard?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

LightReaper posted:

I tried a different non-creature orientated build of control on friday or I would have posted my experiences but it's good to hear feedback. It's interesting that you are so high on Steam Augury as everyone at my local store has pretty much been screaming at me to swap them out for opportunity or thoughtflare. I've been tempted myself to trial thoughtflare as it does have the advantage of not revealing the cards and letting us ditch dead cards (like late game izzet charms), I'll see how that performs on friday. I agree with you on Negate, feels like I'm siding it in pretty consistently, with my candidate for swapping being Cyclonic Rift, though to be honest I'm also tempted to just straight up drop Cyclonic Rift for some more main deck counterspells.

Mono black has been a huge problem for this deck in recent testing, and I'm considering dropping down the angers to add a pair of ratchet bombs so we have an answer to resolved Underworld connections - I lost several matches to that card recently and it's also an incidental answer to aggro decks or MoW tokens.

Out of interest why do you dislike Quicken? It triggers Guttersnipe, YP and essentially slims our deck down to 58 cards, it's actually really grown on me since the arguments for it in this thread.

Edit: And I think I'm going to drop a lightning strike for a maindeck Counterflux.
Edit2: And yeah I put the guildgates back in... I've been stung on mana too many times now.
Thoughtflare might work. I don't know, I think I liked Steam Augury because twice when I cast it I got to put all the spells in a single pile and they had to choose between giving me the spells and pumping the Spellheart.

Ratchet Bomb does seem pretty good as an all-around card.

While my sample size is admittedly small, basically every time I won it was on the back of 1-3 swings with Spellheart Chimera. That means the Guttersnipe/YP damage was incidental, although the tokens and creatures themselves saved me because they were blockers that could buy me time by absorbing damage or preventing attacks outright. So I'd like to use the 2 slots for anything that helps me get those Chimera swings in. Thinning the deck is not statistically significant compared to Dissolving/Negating a removal spell and just letting you win with the Chimera.

This may seem like a super dumb idea, but what about running Archaeomancer instead of Guttersnipe? If your deck's goal is to fill your graveyard with instants and sorceries, why not have a few chances to tutor the best one in your graveyard back to you? Although I guess he only has 1 power for 4 CMC, so maybe it would be even more insane to just run the 5 CMC 0/4 Mnemonic Wall. Yeah, probably a bad idea.

I also want to put 1 Prognostic Sphinx in for fun just because I like the card. Who knows, I'll mess with the deck and post my changes and results next time I get to play around with it. They don't actually run Standard much in my shop and I don't know if the final Standard league will happen until about 4/20 or even possibly 5/11.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Try some of Sway's Hyper Budget decks on this page (I think the mono-colored ones will be on page 2 you click through at the bottom): http://www.mtgvault.com/sway/

All of them are 3 CMC or less, all cost less than $5, and I think they don't have rares. And since they're still meant to be relatively competitive, they're very focused on specific goals. No BNG because they're a few months old, but still Standard legal.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Dissolves and Syncopates can mostly be turned into Negates because you'll have the burn to deal with creatures. Turn // Burn is an amazing card you're missing. You may want a singleton Aetherling or Prognostic Sphinx at the top of the curve as a secondary finisher. LightReaper and I have a few posts in the last few pages of the thread about almost this exact deck.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

MMD3 posted:

So I'm back to thinking about this idea... I might create a separate thread if there are some people interested in theory-crafting some newbie/instructional decks. I did stop by my LGS, Guardian Games, and they gave me 3 sets of 30-card freebie intro decks. There are 13 land in each pack so they only have 17 commons/uncommons but they're still kind of neat to see what WotC considers intro mechanic cards.

I can put those decks into deckstats if anybody is curious to help me put together some balanced intro decks.

Any takers?
Did you check out the Hyper Budget decks I recommended previously? Do they seem like they might fit the bill as starting points?
http://www.mtgvault.com/sway/?p=2

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Jokes aside I was thinking of trying an izzet control deck using keranos and maybe 2 prognostic sphinx as the wincons, using sphinx's scry3 to set up keranos. Huge counter suite followed by a mix of mizzium mortars, angers, cyclonic rifts, turn/burn, maybe aetherize. Sounds fun in my head anyway.
It seems like a lot of people want to make this deck in this thread. LightReaper and I have been working on the skeleton, see our previous posts in the last few pages. I run Spellheart Chimera as the current wincon, because it works well with Steam Augury. I do kinda like running Sphinx over Aetherling in a Keranos build because of what you said and you can drop it turns earlier.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I'm not really seeing anything in JOU that leads me away from thinking that Young Pyromancer backed up by Spellheart Chimera and Prognostic Sphinx won't be fine for the creature base, probably in a 4-3-2 configuration.

JOU Additions seem to just be 2 Keranos and I'm thinking 4x Spite of Mogis will probably be very good.

As mentioned previously in the thread, depending on match-up you could dedicate 7-8 slots of the sideboard just to aggro if it proves too fast for the deck to handle, where you'd take out the 4 Pyros and 3 Chimeras and bring in 3/4 Frostburn Weird and 3/4 Anger of the Gods.

I am also not completely opposed to the line of trying to get permanents to make 7 devotion to kill with Keranos or even just getting to 5 and running 2 Thassa. I just haven't built the deck is that way yet so I don't know how it would test.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I think an important card in the Izzet deck is Turn // Burn, that's your trump to clear the way for Prognostic Sphinx to get in. That's the top deck that kills any god or fattie that you were unable to counter.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Maybe 2 Immortal Servitude?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This is the first list I'm running after JOU comes out for Izzet Spellheart:
Deck: Izzet Spellheart

//Lands
7 Island
2 Izzet Guildgate
7 Mountain
4 Steam Vents
4 Temple of Epiphany

//Spells
2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Dissolve
4 Izzet Charm
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Negate
4 Spite of Mogis
3 Steam Augury
4 Turn // Burn

//Creatures
2 Keranos, God of Storms
2 Prognostic Sphinx
3 Spellheart Chimera
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
2 Counterflux
2 Fated Conflagration
1 Pithing Needle
4 Anger of the Gods
4 Frostburn Weird
2 Essence Scatter

Display deck statistics
The problem is that I just started putting cards in and when I got to 60 I realized I forgot Lightning Strike because I was so excited about Spite of Mogis. I don't think you can just leave Lighting Strike out of the 75, not to mention that Magma Jet also isn't in there.

I guess maybe do 3 Spite 3 Strike instead of 2 Mortars 4 Spite, and then put Mortars in the sideboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

AlternateNu posted:

Now if only there were a card that had tokens come into play as enchantments...you could run Star-Spangled Goats feat. Nyx-Sheep.
I mean, all of the Inspired guys plus like Heliod make Enchantment Creature tokens

• Locked thread