Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Better than MTGO. Ten bucks for an account, then you have to pay for online boosters completely separately from real-world ones, plus tournament entry fees...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mercury Crusader posted:

Just remember, if you don't like the grind, and want to have a bunch of tradable cards at your disposal, all you gotta do is buy real life Pokémon TCG stuff, as every real-life booster pack and theme deck you buy contains redemption codes for digital copies! That's how they get you. This is their F2P model. :getin:
Or, have an addiction already, put in codes because why not, realize you have a giant stock of cards to pick from.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Mercury Crusader posted:

Just remember, if you don't like the grind, and want to have a bunch of tradable cards at your disposal, all you gotta do is buy real life Pokémon TCG stuff, as every real-life booster pack and theme deck you buy contains redemption codes for digital copies! That's how they get you. This is their F2P model. :getin:

I added a disclaimer about the free-to-play gimmick of the game in the OP.

Also FYI they haven't implemented this but they will be a real-money currency in game in the form of Gems. If you want to pay-to-win anyway just go out and buy those real life boosters and hey, maybe you'll pull an actually valuable card and can recoup your losses on ebay! :shepface:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Keiya posted:

Better than MTGO. Ten bucks for an account, then you have to pay for online boosters completely separately from real-world ones, plus tournament entry fees...

Oh, I agree. I played MTG back in the late '90s/early '00s. Then I tried MTGO and found that they have a completely separate ecosystem compared to the physical game. With this game, if you happen to enjoy the actual card game enough to buy physical cards, you get cards for your digital collection. And yet you can actually progress in this game without spending any real money, unlike MTG where you either play the physical game, the digital game, or both if you have way too much money to burn.

Youremother posted:

Also FYI they haven't implemented this but they will be a real-money currency in game in the form of Gems. If you want to pay-to-win anyway just go out and buy those real life boosters and hey, maybe you'll pull an actually valuable card and can recoup your losses on ebay! :shepface:

Bulbapedia mentions that Canada has this system in place already for the beta, but hell if I know. Any Canadians out there wanna give it a go?

I wonder how much the gems will cost. If it turns out they aren't much cheaper than physical product, then it'd be better to just buy physical product, and I guess if you don't want the real cards, you can always recoup them on the market like you said.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 30, 2013

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Like a year ago I used to play the beta on the official website. I completed all Trainer Challenge Cups and even redeemed some deck codes I got from my friends. When I started using this client a week ago I didn't really know my way around it so I thought those decks hadn't carried over. Now that I know how to use it properly I found out that those decks did carry over. Gonna wreck poo poo with Reshiram deck :getin:

Also this is probably a stupid question but should I just open all the untradeable packs that I have? I mean there's no other use for them other than to open them right?

Oh, and add me: Antmedin

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Oh, you should mention in the OP that if you have a Pokemon Trainer Club account already - and if you play the video games you probably do, it's the same one used for PGL - you just sign in with that.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wasn't really down for this game until I started doing the basic tutorial stuff and found out that FIRST BLOOD is the first achievement you get.
If you wanna add me : lilsharko

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Smash Daisaku posted:

Right here (ISP). I remember using this and having an issue with Bill's Teleporter or some other card with a really long name. I'm not sure if that was fixed or if it still exists.

Thank you! Between that, Pokemon X&Y, and Pokemon TCG Online, I think I'll have a Pokemon month.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cerony posted:

Also this is probably a stupid question but should I just open all the untradeable packs that I have? I mean there's no other use for them other than to open them right?

Yes, just open them. That's something to keep in mind as well: if you redeem booster pack or theme deck codes, you can actually trade them instead of opening them. Some people online do this if they want some of the more rarer cards, so keep that in mind if you ever check out the public trades.

Keiya posted:

Oh, you should mention in the OP that if you have a Pokemon Trainer Club account already - and if you play the video games you probably do, it's the same one used for PGL - you just sign in with that.

Added it under the registration section.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Well I'm Catsworth. Figured I'd try at least one PVP battle for the daily play token thing. Set to Beginner. Opponent goes first and puts out a Thunderous EX. Welp.

e: I think my problem is I had it on Unlimited and not Theme. Whoops.

Catsworth fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 30, 2013

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Now this brings back childhood memories! Are the theme decks decent by themselves or is some deckbuilding and mixing required to just get a playable deck?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Catsworth posted:

Well I'm Catsworth. Figured I'd try at least one PVP battle for the daily play token thing. Set to Beginner. Opponent goes first and puts out a Thunderous EX. Welp.

e: I think my problem is I had it on Unlimited and not Theme. Whoops.

Yeah, I would avoid Unlimited matches if you are a beginner for a while, even on Novice. It'll just be an unbalanced mess at the moment with no checks and balances, since guys often go there to try and pubstomp. Modified is much better balanced. Theme Deck will probably be the best to play for a long while, since they seem to be the most balanced against each other.

ZeroCount posted:

Now this brings back childhood memories! Are the theme decks decent by themselves or is some deckbuilding and mixing required to just get a playable deck?

If you just want to use the theme decks as they are, play under the Theme Deck ruleset for match searches. The starter decks you get in the beginning of the game are still pretty good against the purchased theme decks (I have a Lightning/Darkness theme deck I purchased with tokens as my first buy, and I lose to the starter Fighting deck all the time). Modified, you'll want to start editing the deck. And Unlimited, forget it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
No reward for friend matches? Weak

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
In as saforer and hot drat is that psychic poison lady annoying. When that toxicroak and the poison gym stage hit the field it's just completely over for me apparently. What trick am I missing?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Forer posted:

In as saforer and hot drat is that psychic poison lady annoying. When that toxicroak and the poison gym stage hit the field it's just completely over for me apparently. What trick am I missing?

I got lucky and some how used a drat Wurmple to sleep poison 5 pokes in a row while she either had no energy or refused to put any on. Watching everything die to gym enhanced super poison in their sleep was pretty funny. She was gone either way, while this was going on I eventually had a fully loaded Yanmega, Serperior, and a Bouffalant chilling on my bench.

Also add me, I'm endymion_frs

luv butts n nuts
Aug 22, 2008

Haven't played since it was in beta due to not having to deal with younger family around as much.

luv butts n nuts fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 15, 2014

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

So I vaguely remember the Pokemon TCG from the era where every decent deck was an unholy speed monster which could draw through like 30 cards in the first two turns by chaining Trainer cards. The best decks either assembled incredibly powerful Stage 2 pokemon quickly or abused disruption trainers (energy removal, gust of wind, etc) to score quick knockouts while delaying the opponent's engine. Then Nintendo kicked Wizards off the project?

I...gather that the game does not play this way anymore. Does anyone want to explain the general design of the modern TCG to someone coming from a Garfield Magic/Netrunner background?
Long Live Haymaker :getin:

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
I totally forgot how much RNG the card game was. Maybe this isn't for me.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

In as Serperoth.

I'm liking the online thing very much. My physical boosters (which suck) can give me online boosters (which have some good stuff sometimes). And the manager at my local game store saves codes for me, he's a total bro :3:
Any recommendations on what theme deck to pick for the online bit? Mind Wipe has Genesect, but I don't like him very much (and I don't think he's the EX either).

Also, I might be reading stuff wrong, but I can't play with the Power Relay deck in the City Challenge (or any of the other two of those). The only ones I can use are the Basic Blue/Green/Red ones.

EDIT:
Speaking of Challenges, I got to 30.000 points on the first guy of the Platinum challenge, to get that free booster.
Hello Full-Art Landorus EX :)

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 30, 2013

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
In as Kooriken2.

Going to try this out as soon as it's done downloading. Used to play as a kid, let's see if I still have the knack.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Uh I can see myself getting dangerously addicted to this depending on how well they've implemented it

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
In as Bat_Ham. Just got over an addiction to one other FTP TCG so here's another I guess. At least this one isn't on my mobile so it can't tempt me during the day.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This game sucks because I can't enter codes for my old Dark Blastoise deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

This game sucks because I can't enter codes for my old Dark Blastoise deck.

Weird, you misspelled Haymaker there.

Actually, I'll be honest, I haven't kept up with the TCG for quite a while. Is there anything like the old Hay-maker and Rain Dance decks of yore? Did they ever un-ban my beloved Sneasel?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Livingtrope posted:

Actually, I'll be honest, I haven't kept up with the TCG for quite a while. Is there anything like the old Hay-maker and Rain Dance decks of yore? Did they ever un-ban my beloved Sneasel?

Haymaker not so much, but Rain Dance is pretty much around, under Blastoise, only his ability is called Deluge. You attach Waters to Keldeo-EX or Black Kyurem-EX and wreck face with that.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Livingtrope posted:

Haymaker as you remember it is pretty much dead. Not just because of how Trainer cards function now (because seriously you can probably just use your old cards as-is and chain Computer Searches and Professor Oaks like the old days) but Pokemon cards nowadays skew to higher HPs. Remember how most basic Pokemon, such as Squirtle or Charmander, would have 40 HP or so? They'll tend to be at 60 to 70 HP now, and evolutions go higher now. I used to play Raindance and Blastoise had 100 HP in those days and could do a maximum of 60 damage. The most recent version of Blastoise has the same Raindance ability as the original (under a different name) but now has 140 HP and no real limit on how much damage it can do (in fact 60 is the bare minimum amount of damage he can do, but realistically it'll be more like 100).

Changes to how Trainers work, specifically the Supporter subset, also slowed down the game to where you can't just explode into victory on your second turn. While I can sort of build the Raindance of old, with newer Trainers I can't just load up Blastoise with a dozen energy cards on the second turn.

Serperoth posted:

Also, I might be reading stuff wrong, but I can't play with the Power Relay deck in the City Challenge (or any of the other two of those). The only ones I can use are the Basic Blue/Green/Red ones.

Oddly enough, of the five starter theme decks, Power Relay and Basic Orange are not usable in Trainer Challenge, and you don't need to unlock any cards to use them in deck-building. It's weird because you pretty much have to do it for all three standard starter theme decks and for any theme decks you buy with tokens.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 30, 2013

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

Haymaker as you remember it is pretty much dead. Not just because of how Trainer cards function now (because seriously you can probably just use your old cards as-is and chain Computer Searches and Professor Oaks like the old days) but Pokemon cards nowadays skew to higher HPs. Remember how most basic Pokemon, such as Squirtle or Charmander, would have 40 HP or so? They'll tend to be at 60 to 70 HP now, and evolutions go higher now. I used to play Raindance and Blastoise had 100 HP in those days and could do a maximum of 60 damage. The most recent version of Blastoise has the same Raindance ability as the original (under a different name) but now has 140 HP and no real limit on how much damage it can do (in fact 60 is the bare minimum amount of damage he can do, but realistically it'll be more like 100).

Changes to how Trainers work, specifically the Supporter subset, also slowed down the game to where you can't just explode into victory on your second turn. While I can sort of build the Raindance of old, with newer Trainers I can't just load up Blastoise with a dozen energy cards on the second turn.

Oddly enough, of the five starter theme decks, Power Relay and Basic Orange are not usable in Trainer Challenge, and you don't need to unlock any cards to use them in deck-building. It's weird because you pretty much have to do it for all three standard starter theme decks and for any theme decks you buy with tokens.

Good to hear that about the deck. Guess I'll just get some more boosters or tokens. Are tokens farmable? Haven't tried much.

You still can easily get a 4-6-Energy Keldeo-EX in your second turn or something, but it takes a bit of luck (or uncommon Supporters like Cilan). Blastoise is still one of the strongest enablers of the format, and Blastoise-Keldeo EX or Blastoise-Black Kyurem EX (this one) are pretty much top-tier decks.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Serperoth posted:

Good to hear that about the deck. Guess I'll just get some more boosters or tokens. Are tokens farmable? Haven't tried much.

You still can easily get a 4-6-Energy Keldeo-EX in your second turn or something, but it takes a bit of luck (or uncommon Supporters like Cilan). Blastoise is still one of the strongest enablers of the format, and Blastoise-Keldeo EX or Blastoise-Black Kyurem EX (this one) are pretty much top-tier decks.

As far as I know, you can repeatedly face the same opponent in Trainer Challenge at get at least one token each time you win. I have no idea if there is a hard limit on that or not, as it gets really boring doing that after a while, but I think in theory you could just grind that all day. It's much more sane to log in at least once a day and then find a random human opponent in a Theme Deck match to get your daily 10 tokens for a PvP match. I will say that, after the initial unlocking of the deck, any other trainer you haven't beat in the Trainer Challenge with a theme deck will get you 3 tokens in addition to the one.

As for the newer-ish Raindance, I'm not saying it isn't possible to make it work, just more that you can't setup the combo immediately on your second turn, then burn through the majority of your deck to load up every Pokemon with energies on that same turn. It's cool that the concept of the deck still exists in a less overpowering form, though, rather than just being completely dead.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 30, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I still have my old Haymaker deck around here somewhere. Best drat deck I ever built.

4 Hitmonchan, 4 Hitmonlee, 4 Tauros, 2 Aerodactyls... and 4 of these unholy abominations. :getin:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Man, TCG Ditto was Impostor Ditto before Impostor Ditto was.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

I still have my old Haymaker deck around here somewhere. Best drat deck I ever built.

4 Hitmonchan, 4 Hitmonlee, 4 Tauros, 2 Aerodactyls... and 4 of these unholy abominations. :getin:

I actually still have my original Raindance deck, featuring cards from the first four sets only (Base Set to Team Rocket, so first generation only) and my brother still has his old Haymaker (same stipulation). The only Pokemon he ran in his deck were three Hitmonchan, three Electabuzz, and three Scyther. Everything else was just a gauntlet of card advantage, and he had no qualms with having to mulligan. When you have four Professor Oaks, four Computer Searches, and four Item Finders, you tend to get the cards you want right away. The rest of his Haymaker deck consisted of Gust of Winds and PlusPowers so he can pick and choose what to kill, and Rocket's Sneak Attacks so he can keep the opponent from using their Oaks or Computer Searches.

In Magic: The Gathering terms, it was like watching an unholy fusion of Sligh's straight beatdown potential with Necropotence's card advantage and hand disruption.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Yeah. It was especially crazy considering I was also running four of these.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Put me on the list, IGN is razorrozar0811

If I can ever figure out how to make my monitor not go all FREQUENCY OUT OF RANGE on me I might even actually play.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
As someone completely new to this, my god what an awful game. Just awful.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

The Leper Colon V posted:

I had some sort of silly fire/lightning deck as a kid with guys that I thought were cool. I had at least one Ditto, too. I was at one of the Pokemon League tournaments at a local hobby shop. My first match it was down to one prize each and I had my ditto out. The other kid brought out a Zapdos. He insisted that Ditto's Pokemon Power took the turn to activate but I was sure it didn't so we got a helper to sort us out and he agreed that they didn't use the turn. So I was free to blast the bird with his own ability and win.

And then I went on to get stomped.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This game makes me want to dig out my big box of old Pokemon cards and put some real decks together to play with my friends. :allears: I wonder if I even have any cards worth building a deck with. I definitely didn't understand this game as a kid, or rather, I understood the rules of the game, and how it was played, but not how to build decks or formulate any sort of actual strategies.

I don't think this will hold my interest for long, but it's certainly hit some nostalgia buttons. I wish I could just get some of the really old cards I actually used and play with those though. Not that I mind the new pokemon or whatever, that's all fine, I just miss that old artwork!

Man, I remember the Team Rocket set coming out, and my dad worked at a little out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere gas station at the time. My parents had just gotten divorced, and I only got to see him every other weekend. He was pretty distraught about the whole thing, but every time one of the Pokemon movies hit a theater he would take us to go see it. We kept doing it even after Pokemon wasn't popular anymore with everyone. Around the time the 3rd movie came out, we went to a theater to see it on opening weekend and we were the only people in the entire theater. Anyway, when the Team Rocket set came out, the gas station he was working at stocked up on the set and was all geared to finally cash in on that poker man craze the kids are all about these days. But nobody was buying them anymore, the fad had ended for most kids in that area, so he basically just went "my kids like this, gently caress it, I can spend some money" and bought us two entire boxes full of boosters and two of each of the Team Rocket decks. We had so many pokemon cards we didn't know what to do with them.

I still have all those cards in a fancy plastic toolbox sort of carrying case, at my dad's house somewhere. Some japanese ones too. I remember getting that 'naked Misty' card in a japanese booster pack and being like "heh, yeah, this card ain't gonna be in your little baby censored American booster packs" to the other kids who played the game in gradeschool. Of course, it was just her in silhouette, not some explicit, borderline-porn thing like all the rumors were saying. But we all still freaked out about it. I love gradeschool pokemon rumors.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Team Rocket set

This reminded me that I still own a book about this;

(just a quick 3ds photo)

It's basically just a list of Team Rocket cards, and a rough idea of how to use them effectively and some example decks for good measure. There's also checklists at the back for every set that had been released at that point.

Almost wonder how many other... "strategy guides" exist(ed) now, actually.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I bought a lot of the Team Rocket set, so much in fact that I have more from that set than any other (Base Set is a close second, Jungle and Fossil are tied for third). Oddly enough, I could never get a holofoil Dark Charizard. I still have my old card binder, and it is the only missing part of the entire set. I really should just order one and call it done. Or maybe four, I think I have enough cards to finish four complete sets of Team Rocket.

Anybody remember the promo card Team Rocket's Meowth from back in 2000? It wasn't that good, and nobody I knew wanted them. Not even the guy running the comic book shop that I used to frequent that would only occasionally do Pokemon-related stuff (they mostly did Magic: The Gathering tournaments, which I also used to play a lot). Rather than throw them out, I bought his stock of them for $5.

All 75 of them. :getin:

They're still worthless.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 30, 2013

Cthulwho
Aug 31, 2009
My goal will be to rebuild my old alakazam/damage swap deck. This is going to eat a significant amount of my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cryohazard posted:

As someone completely new to this, my god what an awful game. Just awful.

A lot of it is nostalgia, not gonna lie

• Locked thread