Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's been ages since I've played the TCG, so I'm going through all the AI trainers first.

The one I'm fighting right now just used a 90 HP heal(of which you can only have one in your entire deck) to heal their Pokemon for 10HP.

...I'm getting the feeling that the AI isn't going to help me prepare to fight actual humans. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
So I got my three boosters for logging in every day, and in one of them I got what I'm pretty sure is a terrible card:

Why would I ever use this? It's unable to attack at half your prize card amounts, its only attack puts itself to sleep, and its retreat cost is high. I'm not even good at this game but I can tell that this Slowbro sucks.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

TheresNoThyme posted:

No question that's a bad card, but don't forget that it still gets you 80 damage for only two energy. That card could absolutely do work if the prize restriction weren't in place - swinging for 80 damage on turn 2 with no double colorless is definitely not bad, and there's no end of items to fix the status ailment issue (which is only 25% chance to be a problem anyways).
Ah. This is probably why I can't beat actual humans yet. I'm not thinking about things like damage:energy ratios. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Raitzeno posted:

So I get 15 tokens daily (except every 5th day where you get a booster instead) and an additional 10/day for participating in a pvp match where as a new player without a deck full of legendaries I get my rear end handed to me on a platter in 2~3 turns. Great. I don't suppose there's a faster way to "save up for a theme deck" than to just log in every day and get clobbered for nearly the next two weeks? :sigh:
You get varying amounts of tokens by playing against the AI; you'll want to do that anyway to unlock the Water/Fire/Grass theme decks for your own use. You also get a booster for maxing out the stars on each AI trainer. (Play on Expert to make that go faster; it's really not much harder than earlier levels since the AI is so dumb)

Youremother posted:

Here is a very good article on what some of the more desirable supporter cards you'd want and some of the noob traps to avoid. Here is also another good article on basic deckbuilding that has a list of more general good trainer cards. Sixprizes is a great resource for people just starting out in the Pokemon TCG and I would highly recommend these articles as they were the ones that helped me tune my starter decks into something workable.
You're a gentleman and a scholar. :patriot: I'd figured out that more card draws=better, but the sheer number of supporters you should use surprised me. Now to spend a day reading articles so I actually have half an idea of what the gently caress I'm doing. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Are the servers down for maintenence again for anyone else? I didn't see any bugs or anything yesterday that would need another patch this soon, although mine did patch properly on the first try.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 4, 2013

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

aeglus posted:

Also any way to play this in windowed so that it doesn't auto-minimize when I click somewhere outside of the app? Rather grind stuff out while doing other things and it gets annoying to maximize it over and over.
In the settings(the gear icon), there's an option to set windowed mode. You can also turn off a bunch of dumb animations if you're like me and hate fun but love game speed. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

The Leper Colon V posted:

I think you mean "before the AI decks itself".
All while wasting Tools by going "play tool->use the tool knock-off card on yourself", using Pokemon communcation to shuffle a Pokemon into your deck and get the exact same Pokemon out, using Switch even when it doesn't make any sense to...

Man, I know the AI isn't supposed to be the draw of this game, but they could at least make it a little more sophisticated than 'if you can play a card in your hand, play it no matter what'.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Goofing off against the computer with the Orange Deck is pretty fun:

Edit: Alternatively, how high can I get Conkeldurr's HP to before decking myself or getting bored:

I really wanted to like the Orange deck, but I kept running into problems where I really needed an Energy/specific evolution, and the deck just didn't have enough supporters to get me what I needed. It feels like they should have dumped the Pokedex & Giant Cape cards for something more useful.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I've gotten not one, but two Black Kyurem EX in booster packs, and no other Pokemon EX. I think the game's trying to tell me something.

Cerony posted:

Since I'm here I might as well share an amusing AI experience I have a week back. I was dueling against the one trainer with the Golett. I could tell that they had started with the one Golett and a whole load of energy. I didn't get any energy at all for that duel at all. I kept drawing Pokemon and useless Trainers while they were drawing non-Basics and non-Golurks. It looked like an utterly hopeless situation. Then around their fifth turn they play Scoop Up and I win the game :toot:
I had the AI play Scoop Up on the very first turn, with no Pokemon on the bench. Thanks for the 30 second victory, Juji. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Cazador posted:

Yeah they are open. I can even use them for "practice" games against the AI and multiplayer games, but they don't appear on the "select your deck" screen in the campaign. Could it be a buggy client?
Have you tried reinstalling recently? It didn't let anyone use the non-Blue/Red/Green decks until the latest major update, but that update didn't work for some people.

• Locked thread