Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Awesome, I've been hoping for a thread to talk about the Pokemon TCG! I started playing this about a month ago and it's really fun. I've cobbled together a handful of workable decks from a few theme decks I've had and good draws (and an exploit that netted me 100+ Plasma Blast packs :getin:) but I don't have much in the way of EX Pokemon or any good legendaries so I still struggle against people who actually have their poo poo together. My currently most successful deck has 4-4 Golurk, 4-4 Musharna and 4 Bouffalant with Golurk being the primary heavy hitter.

My name in-game is fnord55555.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Mercury Crusader posted:

Just remember, if you don't like the grind, and want to have a bunch of tradable cards at your disposal, all you gotta do is buy real life Pokémon TCG stuff, as every real-life booster pack and theme deck you buy contains redemption codes for digital copies! That's how they get you. This is their F2P model. :getin:

I added a disclaimer about the free-to-play gimmick of the game in the OP.

Also FYI they haven't implemented this but they will be a real-money currency in game in the form of Gems. If you want to pay-to-win anyway just go out and buy those real life boosters and hey, maybe you'll pull an actually valuable card and can recoup your losses on ebay! :shepface:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Lottery of Babylon posted:

How do you deal with type disadvantages? I'm trying to go through the 1P game with the grass deck but the second opponent runs an all-fire deck that deals double damage against almost everyone I have.

Either try to run multiple types or find pokemon that don't have the common type disadvantages. In my green deck I run Serperior for my main line, but I also run a Haxorus line and 4 Bouffalant to keep myself from getting ruined if my opponent runs fire types.

e: Also wanna mention that in my purple deck Golurk has a dark type weakness, which is contrary to most purple type pokemon who are weak to purple. It's super handy because as far as I know it's one of the few psychic-types that isn't weak to itself.

Don't be afraid to splash some colorless pokemon into your deck! I always try to make sure that my deck has some colorless basics in it (pretty much always the 4 Bouffalant, I really like that card :shobon:) and it makes sure that I don't get completely ruined when my opponent is opposite my deck type.

Youremother fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 1, 2013

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm going through the trainer battles with the theme deck precons, so I don't have the option of running a deck with more colors or choosing to include Pokemon with weird weaknesses or adding another family of colorless Pokemon or basically doing anything that would require deckbuilding.

In that case, just switch decks to the type your opponent is weak against and switch back once you win. You really, really want to get all 3 starter decks so it's a good idea to get some wins on all of them.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

soscannonballs posted:

Is there a list of the good trainer cards I should be going for and which expansions/theme decks they come in?

Here is a very good article on what some of the more desirable supporter cards you'd want and some of the noob traps to avoid. Here is also another good article on basic deckbuilding that has a list of more general good trainer cards. Sixprizes is a great resource for people just starting out in the Pokemon TCG and I would highly recommend these articles as they were the ones that helped me tune my starter decks into something workable.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Raitzeno posted:

So I get 15 tokens daily (except every 5th day where you get a booster instead) and an additional 10/day for participating in a pvp match where as a new player without a deck full of legendaries I get my rear end handed to me on a platter in 2~3 turns. Great. I don't suppose there's a faster way to "save up for a theme deck" than to just log in every day and get clobbered for nearly the next two weeks? :sigh:

Quick tip: If you log in with your account on pokemon.com, you can play the flash games there to earn 15 extra trainer tokens a week. It's not much, but it's helpful for saving up for the expensive decks or when you need a quick token boost to buy a booster.

e: Wow, I just loaded up the game and the new deck builder format really sucks. It was a lot easier to see just how many cards were in my deck before. I guess it'll take some getting used to. Oh well, at least the new deck looks alright (even though I had traded a Plasma Blast pack for a pair of double colorless energies just the other day before this update :negative:)

Youremother fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 4, 2013

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

stoutfish posted:

Pm me I guess.

Grind in this game is a bit intense but I feel like if I bought a few theme decks I could make some halfway decent stuff.

I would recommend plunking down the cash for a theme deck, just having one will improve your game tenfold. The extra trainer cards are the really important reason for getting one.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Zonekeeper posted:

Coming from MTG, it's weird to see some of these cards. "Draw 3 cards, no strings attached, any time you want" is one of the nine most powerful cards ever printed, is worth hundreds for a single copy, and is restricted to one per deck in the only format that allows it. Meanwhile, Cheren is a common card that comes packed in multiples in starter decks and it ain't no thang. (Same as his predecessor Bill.)

The most basic deck building philosophy in Pokemon TCG isn't just to get more cards, it's to get exactly the card you want when you need it. Cheren would be an incredibly overpowered card in MtG, but in here it's actually pretty poor at what it does compared to things like Professor Juniper. or Skyla. You're going to see most pro decks run extremely small amounts of pokemon and energies compared to a casual deck, and a MASSIVE amount of supporters. It's all about getting your pokemon up and going as fast as possible and thinning out the useless cards.

Am I the only one not really fond of dragon type cards? I try to stick to one energy type per deck and don't really know how to build around dragon types (unless I get my hands on some blend energies.)

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

katkillad2 posted:

What is the purpose of the term "Team Plasma" on cards? One card in the deck lets you look at the top 5 cards and you can put all Team Plasma cards in your hand. They just look like normal creatures though, just was curious of the significance of the term.

Team Plasma are the antagonists of Pokemon Black and White. Team Plasma cards have unique interactions with other Team Plasma cards, such as certain pokemon requiring specific Team Plasma energies to attack or trainer cards that allow you to draw other Team Plasma cards.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

If Imakuni? comes back so must his card :colbert:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

It actually was reprinted as a supporter pretty recently, but only in Japan.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

aeglus posted:

edit: ok didn't know the last few posts also would be bitching about how the rewards system sucks but glad you all agree! Also what's a good first buy for a new theme deck? I don't plan on spending money so I figure that's the best way to keep variety in PVP as even maxing out the trainers I figure I won't get enough of most things to build a good deck out of for a pretty long time.

The two theme decks I have right now are Mind Wipe and Solar Strike. Both have been real good to me, the Blastoise in Solar Strike is a beast and Mind Wipe has very powerful Genesects and and the very useful Kangaskhan. If I had to pick between the two I'd get Mind Wipe unless you really want that Blastoise.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

NeuroticLich posted:

The weirdest thing is I don't remember doing the Missingno glitch...

Anyone know how to fix the weird visual bugs (like above) from playing in windowed mode (assuming I'm not the only one having that problem)? None of it is too serious or as annoying as bot games stopping permanently, but still slightly obnoxious.

Open up your options window and click "OK" without changing anything.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Man, in retrospect the Gen 1/2 trainer cards were just plain insane. I have no idea how any semblance of balance was made in the TCG before they introduced Supporters.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The Leper Colon V posted:

I actually prefer Basic Orange, not for consistency, but for style. Yeah, you can take someone out with a 200-damage Round from an Exploud (and I love Exploud), but between Conkeldurr and Gigalith and, hell, even Throh and Mienshao, there isn't a card in that deck I don't like.

Who needs Round when you can do this

:shepface:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

There are no theme decks with EX pokemon in them :psyduck:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I want that Meowth puppet :catstare:

Looking forward to when the X/Y sets will be on the game. The new Mega Evolution mechanic looks pretty interesting and I'm wondering how those will be shifting the metagame.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Is there a "best" booster pack to obtain codes for?

It all depends on what pokemon you're looking for. Boundaries Crossed as Keldeo EX and Dark Explorers has Darkrai EX, both of which are very powerful and popular right now. I'd suggest figuring out what kind of decks you want to build first off and figuring out which packs you want from there.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Awesome that they're adding 10 card boosters for tokens! It's fun opening the five-card packs, but it gets old fast when I don't even get rares out of a lot of them. Looking forward to the XY sets too, can't wait to pick up the Froakie deck.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

That kind of graphics glitch can be fixed by opening the options menu and clicking "OK" without changing anything, by the way. Barely a game goes by for me without my playing field turning into jagged triangles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Four coins away from a Legendary Treasures booster... :negative:

Anyone wanna trade some Plasma Blast packs for Legendary Treasure packs?

• Locked thread