Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So I'm playing CoP with Swartz and... where the gently caress are the tools? I'm lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gonkish posted:

So I'm playing CoP with Swartz and... where the gently caress are the tools? I'm lost.

Where they usually are? Pretty sure I didn't move them.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
A few months ago I finally tried to play SoC after it sitting in my Steam Library for ages. It's been a game that sounds like something I should love and have wanted to brave for ages but when I finally started playing I found working around the anomalies very tiresome. Having to throw the bolt into the tunnel to skip through the electro storm for example.. or even just not being able to sprint around without fear of falling into a random vortex. I'm not really sure I see a good reason for them existing other than to slow the player down artificially and as such I don't have the patience to deal with them. This may sound a bit silly but can I just turn them off with a mod or make them less lethal or am I missing the whole point of the game?

Also I apparently installed Complete when I tried to play before and I have no idea how to remove it to replace it with ZRP. Anyone any idea?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I may just be familiar with the early-game anomalies because of my various attempts to play the game over the years but they've never killed me, and I can't imagine running into the ones that cause the anomaly detector to go BEEPBEEPBEEP at you. Maybe Complete makes them easier to walk into?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
So I already did a mad dash into the chernobyl nuclear power plant, but these monolith assholes keep one shotting me cause I'm almost completely out of armor.
Is there a way to cheat yourself some armor or something? I honestly don't like this whole Quickload every 10 seconds thing right now.

Nevermind, just soldiered on and finished the game. I'm really surprised how short the game is, not taking into account sidequests or going out of your way for stashes or artifacts. I'm disappointed in how useless money was, I ended the game with like 400k and not much to spend it on other than ammo for the g17 or whatever that gun was.
Also the ending was loving terrible, or at least the one I got if there are multiple ones. The Marked One wished for money, which seemed way too out of character, since the whole thing was about finding Strelok and what happened to you before they found you unconscious. Got no closure and it didn't make much sense. Did the money I had accumulated play a factor into deciding the ending I got?
Other than that, game was excellent, and I'm gonna install the complete mod and replay through it, knowing how short it is.

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 10, 2013

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

ArfJason posted:

So I already did a mad dash into the chernobyl nuclear power plant, but these monolith assholes keep one shotting me cause I'm almost completely out of armor.
Is there a way to cheat yourself some armor or something? I honestly don't like this whole Quickload every 10 seconds thing right now.

Nevermind, just soldiered on and finished the game. I'm really surprised how short the game is, not taking into account sidequests or going out of your way for stashes or artifacts. I'm disappointed in how useless money was, I ended the game with like 400k and not much to spend it on other than ammo for the g17 or whatever that gun was.
Also the ending was loving terrible, or at least the one I got if there are multiple ones. The Marked One wished for money, which seemed way too out of character, since the whole thing was about finding Strelok and what happened to you before they found you unconscious. Got no closure and it didn't make much sense. Did the money I had accumulated play a factor into deciding the ending I got?
Other than that, game was excellent, and I'm gonna install the complete mod and replay through it, knowing how short it is.

Yeah there are multiple endings, and if I remember correctly they are triggered by different little things that you don't really pay much attention to during the game. Yours for instance was probably triggered by having so much unspent cash so the game thought you were playing greedy, even if it is super easy to become the richest man in Eastern Europe after two hours. Some others include wishing yourself to rule the world if you killed the duty and freedom leaders, or wishing the zone to disappear if you had good reputation ect. And even these aren't the "TRUE ENDING":heysexy:

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

There are 7 possible endings IIRC, which fit into 2 categories: 5 Wish Granter endings and 2 C-Consciousness endings.

The former are all negative. Which scene you get depends on your reputation, how much money you have, and whether certain key characters are still alive. The money one is very common because it triggers if you beat the game with more than 50k RU, which is pretty much a given unless you go out of your way to spend a ton before going to the CNPP. They also don't make a lot of sense because you're missing key bits of knowledge.

The latter are the "true" endings, one of which is the canon ending, and also the closest the game has to a happy ending. To get these, you have to complete the sidequest chain where you find out what happened to Strelok, get the door decoder from the hotel in Pripyat, then find the "secret" door in the CNPP and confront the C-Consciousness. There's a lot of :techno:, but everything gets explained.

ArfJason posted:

Complete isn't very different from vanilla, I'd recommend playing OGSE instead. Most of us regard it as the best mod for a 2nd SoC playthrough. Just be warned it's quite a bit more "hardcore"/difficult and has a few total bullshit moments.

Also, Ddraig: you should find the OGSE turret patch from the last thread and add it to the OP.

edit: Found it

Ddraig posted:

e: Since people hate the turrets so much (and for good reason) when I get home I'm going to write a quick little script fix that will disable turrets from spawning, or if they've already spawned, will disabled them completely. I'll even add in a nice little toggable option to enable/disable them at your will in the tuning config.

e: Here it is.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847454/Turretsbegone.7z

Drop this into your OGSE gamedata folder. Should work with OGSE right out of the box. Disables spawns of turrets if the option is set to 0, and if you've already started a game and they're spawned if it's set to 0 it should stop them from firing.

If you use the config in the archive and don't merge it then you'll have to set your settings again as it uses the defaults.

Ceyton fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 10, 2013

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

sobkas posted:

You mean rev. B?

Are You also incorporated a "Various weapon fixes for Misery" aka Weapon_addon_for_Misery2.0.2.zip?
It would be nice.

Yes, I'm including all the various different fixes I've found (including the weapon addon). I might post this on the MDT forums on moddb later so they can see my handiwork.

I've updated the fix. Install instructions should hopefully be more clear this time.

New readme.

http://pastebin.com/YhfD0E2h

New patch:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847454/Misery%20Hotfix.7z

Incorporated the unofficial CoP patch, Yasti's colour tweaks, a few minor tweaks like changing the Pripyat smart terrains etc.

This is probably going to be the final version of this, unless anyone finds any problems that I haven't tried to fix and are within my abilities.

The changes are rather subtle, so you might not immediately see any difference, but hopefully it makes for a better experience. If you select Recon and his helmet isn't messed up when you start the game, you know it's working. I'm particularly proud of the new radio logic. A simple tweak but makes things more atmospheric.

I'm also working on updating the OP with new mods, a guide to modding and a few other various things. I'll be including all the turret fixing patches and other stuff in a short while.

e: Woah, poo poo. No sooner than I post this, turns out there's a few more fixes. Will be adding those later.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 10, 2013

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I've been playing Misery on and off for the last few days and I think it's gotten its hooks into me. I'll play for an hour and get frustrated and quit, but it's not long before it starts creeping into the back of my head and I just have to start playing again. It's not the difficulty, just the sheer amount of new poo poo and changed mechanics was so overwhelming at first. Not having a minimap was also pretty jarring, but I barely even notice it now. Probably because I've been around Zaton so much from trying out mods over and over, but rarely feeling motivated enough to advance. Getting around Jupiter is probably going to be a lot tougher.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, but there are a few things I don't quite understand: first, I just bought myself a gas mask and plenty of drugs to try some artifact hunting in the Oakpine anomaly, but I still die within seconds. Do I just need an SSP-99 to handle chemical anomalies? Also, how do I equip artifacts with an artifact container? Do I need two slots for that?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Having an artifact in your inventory activates the effects of it. Equipping a container is to mainly deal with the radiation.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So, wow, it's been ages since I played these.

So it's all dead then, no more to come forever? :(

That blows. Either way, downloading SGM and trying a Pripyat runthrough again, I've never found near bullshit levels of 'difficulty' to be fun, so I don't think I'll bother with misery and it's 'my vision no difficulty choices' thing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ok, possibly the final version of the Misery Hotfix.

Have updated the save game corruption fix to the ephiphany edition, added in Phoenix's artifact tweak and have created an optional Battery Tweak that some people might like.

Batteries are now not "swapped out" (which can lead to weird behaviour, like military battery packs morphing into AA batteries just by being in the UPD too long). They are plugged into the UPD, completely drained, and any excess power is wasted so you need to judge your UPD's power level and be careful not to use a large battery when it's nearly fully charged.

This is optional, but I think it works slightly better than the default and seems to be more in line with what they originally planned (what with the UPD even having a "power storage" function)

http://pastebin.com/ZwyJ08cY

e: Also posted this on the Misery forums so hopefully more people will get some use out of it.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 12, 2013

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
Playing SoC for the first time, and I installed the Zone Reclamation Project mod. I get the feeling maybe this mod made the anoms a little over spawned. Is it normal to be able to look around you and see 5-7 of those gravity bending anoms within sight any time you're more then 10 feet off the road?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yes, perfectly normal. SoC has a lot of random anomalies all around the place.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I played Shadow Of Chernobyl when it first came out and loved it. For some reason I missed the rest of the series.

I just read Roadside Picnic, awesome short story and definitely recommended, so I feel up for a trip into the zone and I've just got Call Of Pripyat.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Anybody know how to tweak HP for Chimeras in Misery? I get that they're supposed to be top-of-the-food-chain badasses, but nothing should be able to survive a half dozen M203 grenades and 50+ 5.45 AP rounds to the face. They're already absurdly strong, fast as hell and able to cover 30 feet in a single bound, but with their massive amount of health it feels like I need to cheese them just to stand a chance.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
By "cheese" do you mean to include using the RPG to kill the chimera?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Look out for an updated version of the Misery Hotfix later on tonight.

By the way, it just goes to show the Misery team are a bunch of humourless bastards. I wrote a few stories for the Dialog Manager texts (the 'What's new in the Zone?' things) and this is one that was rejected by their 'language master':

"The Zone's hard going, you know? It changes things. Take a friend of mine... one time he raided a stash and found a pair of boots. Pretty lucky, right? His old ones were worn away and riddled with holes. They let the rain and boar poo poo and everything get through. He was overjoyed. Decided to go back to the Skadovsk and celebrate his good fortunes. Had a couple of drinks.. far too many, to be honest, and got blind drunk. When he woke up he was safely at his camp... pretty surprising. He could barely string a sentence together, let alone get home. Turns out this happened a lot.. whenever he was drunk, he would always wake up back at camp. He thought it was pretty suspicious, so asked a few people to keep a look out for him the next time. He got pass-out drunk, and miraculously started walking back to camp. Turns out the boots... they had been touched by the Zone. They could always find a safe path. He blessed his good fortunes, and thought nothing of it. His luck changed pretty sharply though, when one time after getting drunk he woke up and found he was halfway through the Circus anomaly. He was making GBS threads himself, as you can imagine. He managed to get back safely, anyway, and decided to get rid of the shoes. Turns out they had a mind of their own and were getting bored going the one way trip to his camp.. they wanted to explore the Zone. It was a futile effort. Whenever he sold them, they would always walk their way back. He tried locking them away, but they eventually broke down every container they were put in. He was distraught... he could just not get rid of these loving boots. He eventually got into a heated argument with them - pretty one sided, as you can imagine - and told them how much he hated them, and how he wished he never found them, and that they should gently caress off and never bother him again. Turns out they took this pretty badly... walked straight into a Burner. Vaporized instantly. Now, my buddy's always been a bit of a sentimental guy, I guess. He was really shook up about this. Other stalkers used to laugh at him, behind his back and openly to his face, about how he was in love with a pair of shoes. He was really eaten up, thinking about the problem... could the shoes actually have some sort of consciousness? How terrible it is, he thought, that the shoes could have taken their own life because of him. Did they even have a life? He didn't know... He eventually came across an old priest, wandering the Zone and giving guidance and counsel to those who wished it. My friend talked to the priest and told him the entire story. He expected the priest to laugh at him, like all others did, but he just listened solemnly. Eventually, after the story was told, the priest took my friend by the shoulder and said that it was OK. The boots, he said, were happy. They had finally gone to heaven, or whatever the equivalent is. My friend was relieved... this was a huge burden off his shoulders and his spirit. God is merciful, the priest says, and cares for all his creation, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem to us. You see, it turns out shoes have soles. Something to think about, stalker."

This wasn't considered appropriate :rolleyes:

Maybe next time I'll throw in a Better Nate than Lever variant.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Look out for an updated version of the Misery Hotfix later on tonight.

By the way, it just goes to show the Misery team are a bunch of humourless bastards. I wrote a few stories for the Dialog Manager texts (the 'What's new in the Zone?' things) and this is one that was rejected by their 'language master':

Shoe Story

This wasn't considered appropriate :rolleyes:

Maybe next time I'll throw in a Better Nate than Lever variant.

Oh christ, that was beautiful. Do you have any more rejects?

Also, I seem to remember seeing a variant :ussr: except it was a stalker. Anyone have this saved?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Missing Name posted:

Oh christ, that was beautiful. Do you have any more rejects?

Also, I seem to remember seeing a variant :ussr: except it was a stalker. Anyone have this saved?

The unofficial patch I've made contains quite a few similar stories. You can either find them ingame, or just open the st_dialogs_manager.xml file to find them.

What kind of gets to me is that most of the Misery dialog manager stuff is rather poorly written. The ideas and the concepts are ok, but it just seems kind of clinical and not the way people actually talk. You hear someone tell a story and most of the time it contains useless information, figures of speech, vernacular etc, whereas in Misery it's like the stalkers, when they tell you these "stories", are just reading off a script they've got prepared. I've tried to make my additions seem more naturalistic, like some guy actually telling you a story, and for some reason they decided only "17" of the 50+ stories (not sure the exact number, but I wrote a fair few) made the cut. Some were even pretty grimdark like they like.

A few were blatant jokes, or stalkers just telling you useless poo poo, which I imagine would happen in a place where death is pretty much around the corner all the time. Gallows humour and the like springs up a lot in such situations.

Anyway, I've included all unedited versions in the unofficial patch. I gather they've incorporated a few into the future 2.0.3 patch, so you'll be able to see their versions of them then.

This is the latest version of the unofficial patch:

Contains a few new features, some even people with killer rigs will like like more advanced graphics options (including functioning, ingame MXAA!).

I've included a few screenshots of the MXAA in action. Check the non-ugly powerlines.

http://pastebin.com/hDjBnULx

Also included is a new "Intimidation Mod", which replaces the standard, clinical "Give me your stuff, please" surrender dialogs with actual threats. It always struck me as kind of stupid that guys try to kill you, and when they surrender you're just so... nice with them.

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
So what is the best order to install the Reclamation project and the shaders in the OP for SoC?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
As far as I can remember, the reclamation project doesn't do huge amounts of changes to the shaders. I believe it doesn't really touch them.

Install the reclamation project and then install the shaders.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Oh hey, new thread

It might be worth adding the grass mod to the OP, modern hardware handles it well enough and it fixes one of the most bizarre visual shortcomings of the engine (why would that ever even be hardcoded :iiam:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiS3fgqu0Po

e: bandit music stuck in my head again, thanks OP

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 19, 2013

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I still think someone should do a Billy Ray Cyrus mashup.

"Don't break my heart, my Cheeki Breeki heart".

Bowrrl
Mar 12, 2011
I installed misery and the unofficial patch over a fresh install of CoP on Steam. I switched classes once, started a new game and it is crashing right off the bat. I set the graphics as low as they could go just to be sure my computer wasn't flipping out at the new options and it didn't make a difference. I thought it might be autosave related as it is crashing about half a second before the game would normally do that first save, but it's still doing it with the autosave option turned off. I'm getting the "Misery 2.0.2 (Misery Hotfix)" in the bottom corner so I'm assuming I didn't do anything too wrong.

I am all out of ideas though.

Bowrrl fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 20, 2013

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Did you install the 2.0.2 and Quick Fix patch to Misery first?

If you give me the crash log I can probably help you out.

You also need to switch classes at least once ingame if you haven't already. MDT likes to do things weirdly.

Bowrrl
Mar 12, 2011
Yeah. Misery 2.0.2 + QF and even the Stiivai patches work fine (by Misery standards anyway). This is the first time I've had this kind of problem so something the unoffical patch adds is making my computer poo poo the bed.

Crash Log posted:

Expression : !m_error_code
Function : raii_guard::~raii_guard
File : D:\prog_repository\sources\trunk\xrServerEntities\script_storage.cpp
Line : 748
Description : ...ker call of pripyat\gamedata\scripts\xr_logic.script:687: attempt to call field '?' (a nil value)

I did. I started as Assaulter, then switched to Sniper and back again. Just for giggles I tried to play as Sniper and Recon to see if it was something up with Assaulter and nothing new.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ah gently caress, that looks like a script logic error. I'll take a quick look tonight. I have a new smartphone so I can be on call 24/7 to fix poo poo now. Right now I've made a few extra tweaks so I'll do a clean install of misery then try my patch and fix it. Sorry about that :(

Right now I've made a new optional mutant looting system which makes a bit more sense. You need a knife equipped to loot mutants and your knife will be damaged when you do. Different mutants damage your knife more so a crow will do next to nothing but a pseudogiant will severely dull your knife. Snipers have less wear and tear on their knife thanks to the survival expert perk, as he presumably cuts through the joints and not the bones.

I've also added a new feature that was originally in the post process mod: a new drug. It's "Mezaton", which are eye drops that dilate your pupils which gives you a slight visibility increase in dark areas but can make you near useless in direct sunlight. Has been properly incorporated with a description, icon etc. Snipers start with one bottle now, replacing one of their sleeping pills. It seems like the kind of thing a sniper would use.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 21, 2013

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Decided to play Misery again and patch it up. Got it to the 2.02+QF but it's still doing that loving head lamp bug. Any ideas on how to fix that? Will I have to revert to the previous patch or is it something I could just fix myself? I made sure that the battery drain option was off already.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Do you mean that the lamp turns off really quickly?

If so, that's not a bug. The head lamp is an item that has to be bought and equipped before it can be used. For the mean time, I believe you get access to a lovely little lamp that goes into an item slot and can't be out at the same time as a weapon.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This is the first I've heard of the headlamp bug. I've done a bit of work on the axr_battery.script (which controls that stuff) so I might be able to fix something that needs to be fixed.

e: A screenshot of the new Mezaton drug.

Slightly tweaked it since I took this screenshot. Now decreases sleepiness rather than the "increased blood pressure" thing, which doesn't actually exist.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 22, 2013

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
I was really hoping you were adding high blood pressure into Misery. That coupled with diabetes and high cholesterol could really improve the realism of game play.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobfather posted:

Do you mean that the lamp turns off really quickly?

If so, that's not a bug. The head lamp is an item that has to be bought and equipped before it can be used. For the mean time, I believe you get access to a lovely little lamp that goes into an item slot and can't be out at the same time as a weapon.

Wow hahah, I feel like a massive idiot. Time to get Ddraig's fix installed!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Acquire Currency! posted:

Wow hahah, I feel like a massive idiot. Time to get Ddraig's fix installed!

A bit of a warning: Someone's already said that using it resulted in a crash. It's currently 4am here and I've been playing Duke Nukem for the past couple of hours so I haven't really had a chance to look at it yet, so use at your own risk for the moment.

MadBimber posted:

I was really hoping you were adding high blood pressure into Misery. That coupled with diabetes and high cholesterol could really improve the realism of game play.

I wish I were making this up but the postprocess-mod that Misery cribbed a lot from actually has a "Toxic Shock" mechanic where if you take too many medicines you could end up having a stroke and dying.

I'm slightly surprised they didn't add in a little daily pill planner so you could really get that "I'm on the short road to death" aspect.

Oh hey, it looks like someone's finished Lost Alpha before the Lost Alpha guys have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D_P8MHrWCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh-vzeRt_Tw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1T7wR88-9g

http://ap-pro.ru/forum/35-8912-1

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 22, 2013

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012

Konsek posted:

I just read Roadside Picnic, awesome short story and definitely recommended, so I feel up for a trip into the zone and I've just got Call Of Pripyat.

Roadside Picnic is fantastic, as is Tarkovsky's Stalker film which takes it as its inspiration. I really like the mystery of The Zone as a living, breathing place that people really shouldn't visit. The plot of the game loses some of this mystery and originality but still has a lot of that brutal and lonely essence.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any tips for drawing out artifacts? CoP in particular.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Why does it look so 2004?

King Dead
Apr 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piM6RbGIX_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0LA4XcTDZI

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm not sure. One thing I've noticed, trawling Russian modding sites, is that it seems like almost everyone playing Stalker over there uses really weirdly low settings.

Plus the idea of the mod is to "recreate" the old builds, which were designed for static lighting etc.

e: For Comparison, here's actual video footage of Build 1935 (Oblivion Lost)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAhVjTsYq2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU3BRnLfPP0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSIkw9xr23U

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ddraig posted:

I'm not sure. One thing I've noticed, trawling Russian modding sites, is that it seems like almost everyone playing Stalker over there uses really weirdly low settings.

It's because Russians are almost entirely confined to using ramshackle 10+ year old PC hardware. :v: