Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moot the hopple posted:

I once got a contract to kill a Freedom dude but didn't feel like losing the faction rep by killing him myself so I squaded up with some Duty guys, including a captain carrying a PKM machinegun, brought them to the Army Warehouses, and watched from afar as they tore up my target and an entire Freedom checkpoint.
this is the best part of stalker imo, finding ways to bait people into each other so you can loot their corpses or leading chimeras/pseudogiants to population centers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I decided to go through the Radar from the south to go to the Red Forest from the east, and by god was that a mistake

50000 monolith and an entire nuke's worth of rad poisoning later I made it to the other side

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I forgot about the disguise system in Anomaly. I'm really glad they added that because the Merc trader has some awesome stuff but I don't always want to play as a Merc/Bandit.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

nexus6 posted:

I forgot about the disguise system in Anomaly. I'm really glad they added that because the Merc trader has some awesome stuff but I don't always want to play as a Merc/Bandit.

Ecologist, best gist.
good early map placement, not automatically enemies with mercs or army, (use the dynamic factions for a bit of uncertainty), you dont start with amazing equipment, in fact, the equipment you will probably be scavving the most at the start will be zombie junk, Sakharov (iirc) does not send you on "go kill dis dood" missions much, and while the mercs are not red to you, you still have to do one lab to get a shortcut to them.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Does anyone know what I need to modify to reduce the crosshair length? This is CoC/CotZ.

Edit: nvm, found it. Had to unpack a db file

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 4, 2020

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

nexus6 posted:

Edit: nvm, found it. Had to unpack a db file

its always this

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

staberind posted:

Ecologist, best gist.

I would argue that Clear Sky is better as your hostility to Military gives the chance of looting and fixing up a decent assault rifle, or even an AEK-971 early on, which is straight up the best rifle in Anomaly when fully upgraded.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
spawn as monolith and fight your way to the cordon

sidorovich will still sell you a leather jacket and some makarov bullets even after you ice all of his friends lol

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Helianthus Annuus posted:

spawn as monolith and fight your way to the cordon

sidorovich will still sell you a leather jacket and some makarov bullets even after you ice all of his friends lol

Capitalism.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
So I have a weird question. I've been playing through SoC with ZRP. I went through outside Chernobyl, went through the teleporters, and ended up on a long building with a ton of snorks. I dispatched them easily and got rid of the Monolith snipers, but I have no idea where to go. I asked in the Stalker subreddit and someone mentioned it was because I was using the alternate all.spawn, which I am. He gave me some hints on where to go, but I'm stumped. Does anyone here know the proper path? They mentioned they're making it easier for a future version but I want to actually finish since I'm literally one area away from the end

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

Stunt_enby posted:

this is the best part of stalker imo, finding ways to bait people into each other so you can loot their corpses or leading chimeras/pseudogiants to population centers

the only thing from clear sky i miss is baiting monolithians in the army warehouses into taking over the entire area

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
any of you had any luck playing this with a controller? I've played about an hour or two of SOC and COP and have been immediately drawn to them but I do pretty much all my gaming with my GF, who's not used to KB + M, plus controllers make it easier for us to hang out and play on our TV. It doesn't have to be perfect, we could even use the PS4 touchpad as a mouse for inventory management or menus.

Any other mods that might help my fallout/the long dark fan GF get into one of these games would be much appreciated too. If it were up to me I'd start with Vanilla but I feel like some mods that fix annoying things or add cool new content might help hook her in.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

While there's always going to be some fun rube goldberg way to get hardware to work one way or another on pc, I had another thought crop up: is it possible to aim quick enough for stalker with a controller? Would you have to find some aimbot hack, and then also have to experiment for a couple of hours nerfing AI aim speed and accuracy? If the ai is to deadly, well. If it isn't deadly enough tho, it won't feel like stalker.
I think it's doable but it's got a lot of trial and error involved.

Also, ZRP: if they changed were the teleporters spawn then only the mod authors can tell you were, sorry. Unless of course you can figure out what version of what editor can open their compiled map and have a look yourself

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Managed to get a bit more time in with COP last night and I'm feeling like I could be missing something... I've been wandering around the starting area, doing jobs for Beard and the other people in that bar. I don't feel I've made any real progress though besides for one nice shotgun I found in a stash. I can't find any armor and the only artifact I've found (it was on the dredge's steering wheel) so far just irradiates you with no benefit so I gave it to some guy who said it could help his sick friend. Also the way I got through the anomaly on the dredge was basially just running through and healing myself a bunch and throwing screws willy nilly, so I definitely think I might be playing it way.

Is this just the nature of the game? Is there anything I should be focusing on to get more out of the game? There's a lot of stuff I really enjoy about this game (it reminds me of Gothic a bit, which owns) but if I still feel like I'm treading water next time I get a play session I might not really want to continue.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fighting Elegy posted:

the only artifact I've found (it was on the dredge's steering wheel) so far just irradiates you with no benefit so I gave it to some guy who said it could help his sick friend.

Lol

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyways the "main quest" or whatever is finding the helicopters, so if you dont want to faff about just beeline to those

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Fighting Elegy posted:

so I gave it to some guy who said it could help his sick friend.

Too naive for the zone, smh

Does anyone know how to use the Wood Stove in Call of the Zone? I'm guessing it's come from some other mod like CoC or Anomaly.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 6, 2020

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

I always shoot that guy before he can speak to me. Such is the zone!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Does anyone know how to use the Wood Stove in Call of the Zone? I'm guessing it's come from some other mod like CoC or Anomaly.

I figured it out with this: https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/videos/call-of-chernobyl-cooking

However, unless there are hidden stats it appears to make food worse somehow

Uncooked

Cooked

Am I misunderstanding this, or does uncooked meat do better for hunger here?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

Is this just the nature of the game? Is there anything I should be focusing on to get more out of the game? There's a lot of stuff I really enjoy about this game (it reminds me of Gothic a bit, which owns) but if I still feel like I'm treading water next time I get a play session I might not really want to continue.

I guess this is going to be one of the big differences coming from other FPS's? Its been so long.

Anyway - your main equipment advancement in most stalker mods comes from shooting people and taking their stuff. Or taking as much stuff of theirs you can carry and selling it to one of the named traders. There's a lot of other things to do, but the only economically viable use of your time is to shoot other stalkers.

Figure out what guns your enemies use in the area your going to, because that's where all your ammo is going to come from.

It always struck me how much Stalker was like Fallout 1 in so many ways.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Fighting Elegy posted:

Managed to get a bit more time in with COP last night and I'm feeling like I could be missing something... I've been wandering around the starting area, doing jobs for Beard and the other people in that bar. I don't feel I've made any real progress though besides for one nice shotgun I found in a stash. I can't find any armor and the only artifact I've found (it was on the dredge's steering wheel) so far just irradiates you with no benefit so I gave it to some guy who said it could help his sick friend. Also the way I got through the anomaly on the dredge was basially just running through and healing myself a bunch and throwing screws willy nilly, so I definitely think I might be playing it way.

As others have said, the main quest of CoP is just investigating some helicopter crashes. It's actually an oddly subdued and inconsequential story-line, so don't expect anything intricate or epic from the plot. The meat of the Stalker games for me has always been just spending a few hours soaking up that world and atmosphere.
I'd say about half of the experience is in your own imagination, and self directed. Sometimes I'll latch onto a Loner and make it my mission to get him geared and levelled up while taking him around the zone, or I'll find a group around a campfire in some unlikely place and start bringing them guns and helping them defend whatever shithole they've decided to live in for a few hours. Sometimes I'll just wander around and find interesting locations to take screenshots of like some half assed photographer. For me it's more of an experience than a typical game with very structured objectives. But that's also definitely not an experience that everybody is looking for, and for the love of god don't waste time on a game you're not enjoying.

Also

quote:

the only artifact I've found (it was on the dredge's steering wheel) so far just irradiates you with no benefit so I gave it to some guy who said it could help his sick friend.
lol :shobon:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Your weapon / armor / item progression is mostly through doing sidequests and finding stashes.

Generally speaking, my progress through these games starts with setting an objective for myself (like get a good suit with nightvision), and I take sidequests that help me achieve that end first, as well as exploring any sidestories and interesting locales I come across along the way.

A big one is finding tools for the technicians so that you can upgrade your stuff. There's hints about where you can find toolkits, and they're usually pretty interesting locations that change up the scenery you're used to.

If you're looking for a more directed experience, ShoC is designed more around pushing you in a direction, but all the games require some level of personal curiosity and investment from the player to get the Stalker experience.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Is it possible to unpack all of the Anomaly files? I think when I downloaded it, the developer hadn't finished, so certain files/folders were still protected or something. The recent flurry of activity in this thread is giving me that Stalker itch, and I'm keen to play some Anomaly

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fall Dog posted:

Is it possible to unpack all of the Anomaly files? I think when I downloaded it, the developer hadn't finished, so certain files/folders were still protected or something. The recent flurry of activity in this thread is giving me that Stalker itch, and I'm keen to play some Anomaly

Yes. I think you can use the same tools used to unpack the original game files, but its been a while. Even if you dont go that route, you can request specific files in the discord

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Yes. I think you can use the same tools used to unpack the original game files, but its been a while. Even if you dont go that route, you can request specific files in the discord

There's a discord?

I generally like to edit various weapons/armour, and make the merchants more lenient with what they buy/sell

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

One of the most fun runs of STALKER I've had was playing My Summer Exoskeleton in Anomaly. One of the first dudes I killed was a bandit who dropped an Exo at 9% condition; but I wanted it so badly, and spent the whole game trying to get something this ruined back into condition, repairing it, upgrading it. Made the early game hell, I was so slow, cracked visor, not much protection. Was great, though.

Anyway, yeah, self-directed goals are good.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

On my current run of Call of the Zone I've been playing as Ecologist (maximum friendly factions, bit of a different start to the usual Cordon) and for the longest time I had an Ecologist buddy called Artem following me around. I really like the little companion dialogue the mod adds ("You've got something stuck to your shoe" "WTF is that over there?") but I guess he got killed at some point because he's disappeared and doesn't show on any of the maps (normally companions have unique icons).

I'm really digging the expansion to the Agroprom Underground.

Edit: So some of the quests require you to find a thing and, while you get a map marker, sometimes you only get an approximate location. I hired some nearby mercs to help me find the thing and when they did they placed an exact map marker for me. I was scouring the same area up and down and this was really helpful.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 7, 2020

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
So if my understanding of Anomaly is correct, I can't use repair kits to fix armour that's below 40% condition?

Edit: Nevermind, I see there's a heavy outfit repair kit that can repair from 30%, and maybe a heavy armour repair kit that can repair from 20%

Fall Dog fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 8, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Fall Dog posted:

So if my understanding of Anomaly is correct, I can't use repair kits to fix armour that's below 40% condition?

Edit: Nevermind, I see there's a heavy outfit repair kit that can repair from 30%, and maybe a heavy armour repair kit that can repair from 20%

So does this kind of granularity just amount to pointless grindy busy work?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Pretty much.

What you can do is take the repair kit to a workbench along with good condition spare parts, and use the bench to install the new parts, consuming one "use" of the repair kit for each part you replace. It allows you to repair a piece of equipment that is otherwise too badly damaged for the kit to be used on it.
It's still a poo poo system.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
What I do is I buy the gun oil that lets you repair for 8% condition if the gun is still at least 90% condition. You can then combine it with like a faction patch or other supplemental repair junk for the full 10% repair. So long as you periodically check and top off your weapon condition, it ends up being more cost effective than paying a technician for repairs, plus you can do it yourself in the field.

It really depends on availability of weapon parts kits, your willingness to find and repair replacement parts, and the cost of the weapon itself if it's worth it to engage with the rest of the weapon repair system. Sometimes it's just less of a hassle and even more cost effective to buy a weapon outright rather than repairing a found version to usable condition.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

A poo poo system you can atleast change by downloading someone's re-balance files or change the files yourself (if they aren't packed in database files, which then necessitates you finding an unpacked that works with that specific dB packer the mod authors used).

See? Since it can be modded, that means the insane repair system isn't broken or bad :pseudo:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Really the most sane approach for playing Anomaly is to play with the added systems for a bit to see what you like and then tweaking it to your tastes through the in-game menus and the multitude of mod add-ons available.

It's a little more work but the way I have my Anomaly set up has been my favorite STALKER experience so far. If it's ever possible to merge the gunplay of Gunslinger into it, it would be perfect IMO.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I bought my first gun during an Ironman playthrough, got a scope and silencer off s body for it, was ready to start the next phase of my zone adventure and then stepped into an anomaly and died.

RIP Vascha

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Call of the Zone lets you recruit followers, whether it's to accompany them on a mission, or if you've paid them to help you find something. You can amass quite a posse.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Being able to accompany NPC's on their own missions would be interesting, assuming their pathing didn't get all screwy. I had more fun than expected doing a hostage rescue mission. I saved an ecologist in the swamps, then I also had a mission to clear out a bandit group from a nearby camp. My narrative was that I rescuedthe ecologist, then together we killed his captors.

We also encountered a psi-storm, which killed me the first time around because I was over-burdened (I died just before I made it to shelter), then fought off some chimeras in the swampland north of Agroprom. I finally returned the ecologist to the Yantar lab but had to hurry, as the mission giver seemed determined to become snork food.

The ecologist did bug out when there were anomalies too close to the route. He would stop and just keep throwing bolts, even though there was a clear path around. It meant I had to go a long way through other map checkpoints. Annoying, but manageable at least

If the outfit repair system used icons for suit components that you could replace (assuming you had the correct repair/sewing kits and replacement parts), I think it would work a lot better and maybe be a bit more intuitive. I still haven't found a workbench and the mechanic's vice only lets me tinker with firearms. It could still include the grind of improving the condition of individual components with cloth/oil, etc, because people seem to love that for some dumb reason

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Is there a difference between psi-storms and emissions?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Psi Storms don't refresh artefact spawns, iirc. Some mega mods apply different mechanical effects - Emissions might kill everything they touch, while Psi Storms just zombify humans. The Emission wave might kill on contact, while Psi Storms do burst or damage over time while you're exposed. Depends on the mod basically.

The essential difference is that Emissions are the big red storm with the death waves rolling out from the NPP, while Psy Storms are grey-blueish and have bursts of psychic energy spiking down like lightning.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
By the way, not sure if everybody already knows, but there's a custom DayZ server these days called StalkerZ which has a seamless recreation of the Zone, at least as far north as Red Forest, and including the usual suspects like Cordon, the Swamps, Dark Scape and Valley, Rostok, Wild Territory, Yantar, etc. It's non-KoS and has some incredibly dumb roleplay stuff, but if you take yourself off with one or two buddies and get away from Cordon you can have a great time exploring a subtly different Zone without being harassed by Bandits or the roleplay police too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I've been playing Call of the Zone for a while and while I do like the removal of some of Anomaly's busy work (you have to have the right knife to cut up mutants and you have to switch to the knife whereas in CotZ you just press 'use', you can use a repair kit to repair weapons, not disassemble to a thousand different parts, get cleaning supplies, clean them, get the right weapon repair kit, etc, etc) I'm not getting much of a sense of progression. The traders in CotZ seem to have extremely limited inventories and there does not appear to be much in the way of high-level gear - I've been playing three days and already met pretty much every trader, none of them sell anything better than what I have.

Might try updating Anomaly with the latest addons.

Edit: To clarify, I've probably been spoilt by how much Anomaly adds in terms of weapons, armor, equipment, characters, gameplay mechanics e.t.c. that CotZ feels like a bit of a step backwards tbh.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 9, 2020