Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

still game of the year, six years later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I always forget just how nice the animations are for the guitar players.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(
I always forget just how bad the english voice acting is. Thank god most mods set it to Russian.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Klayboxx posted:

I always forget just how bad the english voice acting is. Thank god most mods set it to Russian.

Do you think the guy who voiced "Don't just stand there! Come in!" realizes how good of a voice actor he is?

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone ever fixed the footstep sounds so that they don't lag behind you? I always feel like something's about to jump on me when I strafe sideways. :cry:

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Do you think the guy who voiced "Don't just stand there! Come in!" realizes how good of a voice actor he is?

He probably didn't even realize what he was saying :smug:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
HOWDY HO! Howdy Hoooo! Howdy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ok, so I've done a completely clean install of Call of Pripyat, Misery 2.0, all the patches and my hotfix and I can't recreate the crash that was talked about.

I really don't know what the hell is up.

My phone's 3G connection is kind of making GBS threads the bed at the moment, so I can't upload it yet, but I've done another revision:

Changes this time include the new drug (Mezaton), a reworking of the post-process mod scripts to accommodate this new drug and overall add more depth to the system (including more exhaustion effects) and an entirely new mutant looting system that's an optional install.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I'm still really enjoying Misery 2.0.0 with no patches, y'all are just babies. Just don't try to talk to wounded NPCs and everything is great. Plus, the exosuit makes you nearly immune to most mutants :downs:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killswitch posted:

I'm still really enjoying Misery 2.0.0 with no patches, y'all are just babies. Just don't try to talk to wounded NPCs and everything is great. Plus, the exosuit makes you nearly immune to most mutants :downs:

Enjoy any type of fire anomaly.
I will say that after patching up it looks like my flesh hunting ground got hosed up. That's how I made cash!

E: Holy gently caress is there something to to e the grenade tossing in Clear Sky down?

frank.club fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 24, 2013

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Acquire Currency! posted:

E: Holy gently caress is there something to to e the grenade tossing in Clear Sky down?

You could try Clear Sky Complete, or, search through mods here as I know there is a standalone mod there somewhere that does the same thing.

--
Anyone else following the progress of Gunslinger mod?
Here's the latest video showing off new animations for aiming in and out via special engine extensions. Part way through the video he demonstrates a lot of the engine extensions that have been added.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r97tLdd570U

clearsky.flv

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
Hey Ddraig, the FOV Fixer link in the CoP section is dead.

I'm looking at playing CoP again and I've never really made it past the first map. Is Complete worth installing? I'm looking to use Atmosfear 3 but don't really know anything else to bother with. Should I just go clean-ish?

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Hey Ddraig, the FOV Fixer link in the CoP section is dead.

I uploaded it for my mod awhile ago: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qg6evnalr5m4wrs/fov_switcher_v17.7z

Crono S. Magnum posted:

I'm looking at playing CoP again and I've never really made it past the first map. Is Complete worth installing? I'm looking to use Atmosfear 3 but don't really know anything else to bother with. Should I just go clean-ish?
Complete is over hyped nonsense. Atmosfear 3 and the sound overhaul is all you should use for a first-ish play through.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
Awesome man, thanks! I hadn't really ever considered getting the Sound Overhaul, but hell why not?

Probably end up trying Misery at some time or Swartz but for now I just want to play around in the zone.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hahah this, a thousand times.

And thanks for the fix!

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

baromodo posted:

Roadside Picnic is fantastic, as is Tarkovsky's Stalker film which takes it as its inspiration. I really like the mystery of The Zone as a living, breathing place that people really shouldn't visit. The plot of the game loses some of this mystery and originality but still has a lot of that brutal and lonely essence.

I need to get round to watching the film.

One thing I tried to work out was how many stalkers there were. Spoilered just in case: the fact that there's a trader who buys items from The Zone means there must have been enough for him to make a living, but on the other hand it also seemed like Red knew every other stalker by name, and there weren't many. And in every trip into The Zone, he never met anyone apart from his own companions. Either way it seems far less populated than the games, but I suppose a completely empty zone wouldn't make for much of a fun game.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Konsek posted:

One thing I tried to work out was how many stalkers there were. Spoilered just in case: the fact that there's a trader who buys items from The Zone means there must have been enough for him to make a living, but on the other hand it also seemed like Red knew every other stalker by name, and there weren't many. And in every trip into The Zone, he never met anyone apart from his own companions. Either way it seems far less populated than the games, but I suppose a completely empty zone wouldn't make for much of a fun game.

I personally think a much more empty zone would make for a better game, allow for much more deadly and resource consuming firefights and that sort of thing as well as encouraging devs to individualise as many of the stalkers as possible. Striking a balance between the book and the game would be great. But yeah in the book there are very few stalkers as while it attracts the same treasure seekers the zone of the book also is seemingly far more insidious and deadly. Granted this may just be how the game translates its lore into gameplay mechanics (like not all anomalies being certain death) but when i read roadside i always got a very very sinister vibe from everything, as if there were a vibrant colour to everything that drew you in and mangled you in new exciting way.

I really really need to reread that book soon.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Swartz posted:

--
Anyone else following the progress of Gunslinger mod?
Here's the latest video showing off new animations for aiming in and out via special engine extensions. Part way through the video he demonstrates a lot of the engine extensions that have been added.

It's nice that he bothered to change the add time for the animations. I think LURK does that as well, and a couple from OGSE do as well. But I know some normal add times are pretty wonky, though maybe not at COD levels.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Enjoy any type of fire anomaly.
I will say that after patching up it looks like my flesh hunting ground got hosed up. That's how I made cash!

Yea, I don't get what people have against the fire anomalies in 2.0.0. I don't understand what is so disliked about "don't have proper protection? suck death." So you have to buy an ecologist suit, big deal. The thing is practically invulnerable to heat and toxic gas, just don't walk into burners. The weight of the suit kinda sucks, but I like how it basically forces you to choose between doing an artifact hunt or going out killing, although you could carry the suit with you for when you need it too if you don't value your stamina as much.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killswitch posted:

Yea, I don't get what people have against the fire anomalies in 2.0.0. I don't understand what is so disliked about "don't have proper protection? suck death." So you have to buy an ecologist suit, big deal. The thing is practically invulnerable to heat and toxic gas, just don't walk into burners. The weight of the suit kinda sucks, but I like how it basically forces you to choose between doing an artifact hunt or going out killing, although you could carry the suit with you for when you need it too if you don't value your stamina as much.

Unpatched Misery 2.0 had fire damage ignore any and all resistances.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Unpatched Misery 2.0 had fire damage ignore any and all resistances.

In what sense? I can stand in the Circus Anomaly in an ecosuit and basically take no damage at all provided I don't wander right into a burner.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killswitch posted:

In what sense? I can stand in the Circus Anomaly in an ecosuit and basically take no damage at all provided I don't wander right into a burner.

A lot of people (myself included) got shredded by fire stuff. The biggest example that came up was the Boiler Anomaly, where the two Stalkers are looking for artifacts. When you go to save the guy it proved very nearly impossible no matter what you were wearing. I remember a goon testing out going as bare minimum as he could and getting 100% fire resistance. There wasn't any difference in how much damage he took. It'd be interesting if that was really just some sort of bug between a lot of people.
The other one I personally know that shredded me was the Burnt Farmstead. Which was a bitch because you have to go there. If the Burnt Farmstead and Boiler don't give you any trouble then I guess you got a lucky install of 2.0.0. I guess the next thing I'd ask you check out would be the psy field on entering Jupiter Plant that wrecked me so hard I couldn't proceed.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I remember a goon testing out going as bare minimum as he could and getting 100% fire resistance. There wasn't any difference in how much damage he took. It'd be interesting if that was really just some sort of bug between a lot of people.

I tested that in the burnt farmstead. Goddamn, was I pissed at Misery at that point. And yeah, every other page in the bug thread had a mention of "fire is poo poo" until they fixed it.

Now it actually does something, but I just use a SEVA when I know a fire bit is coming up.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I guess I just got a lucky install... I did Jupiter plant in the ecosuit, and also handled the boiler anomaly with no problems once I had the ecosuit.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I am a little jealous, then.

If there's anything I've learned after playing 50 hours in Misery, it's that in the Zone you need to concentrate on four things.

1. The things that kill you.

2. The things that almost kill you.

3. The things you kill.

4.The things you kill for.

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012

Konsek posted:

Just to warn you, the film is very slow (much like Tarkovsky's Solaris), but I found it very atmospheric and rewarding.

As for the number of Stalkers, it's been a while since I read it so this might not be accurate but I got the impression there were probably the regulars that Red knew, the ones who had reasonably good survival skills and then a bunch of nameless noobs who just died or disappeared.

It might have been good if the game had a town outside The Zone like in the book where Stalkers would swap stories and make the Zone itself terrifying and desolate. You could come across remains of Stalkers and helpful notes about anomalies and artefacts. However I think that would be a totally different game and harder to market.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
Just got a new laptop and any time I try to play any STALKER game I have a problem. The menu for all 3 games loads fine but if I try to either start a new game or change the resolution a giant black box covers 3/4 of my screen and the whole computer freezes. Any ideas?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Someone made a delightful little swf toy, EQUIP YOUR STALKER. Let's see what trainwrecks come out of it.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
For anyone interested I released my mod on moddb. http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Just thought I'd post a cool new thing Bangalore did that does the following:
1) Greatly reduces microstutter in the game
2) Decreases lag caused by lua files
3) Increased memory ceiling before a crash

http://www.mediafire.com/download/15brgil3s1z47rs/lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll

It works with CS and COP. Make sure you back up your original lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I love that the modding community still does stuff like this. This is going into the OP right away.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Swartz posted:

Just thought I'd post a cool new thing Bangalore did that does the following:
1) Greatly reduces microstutter in the game
2) Decreases lag caused by lua files
3) Increased memory ceiling before a crash

http://www.mediafire.com/download/15brgil3s1z47rs/lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll

It works with CS and COP. Make sure you back up your original lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll.

Work with misery, too?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's a DLL change. Most mods only change the XrRender/XrGame dlls, so this should work with all mods.

Daemonion
Jan 17, 2011

Mountain Man
Holy poo poo, I haven't been here in a while. Have a teaser involving LURK 1.2. and thunder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXKc1HqKGbc

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
New Unofficial Misery Patch:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847454/Misery%20Hotfix.7z

Readme: http://pastebin.com/vG4dr49q

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Daemonion posted:

Holy poo poo, I haven't been here in a while. Have a teaser involving LURK 1.2. and thunder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXKc1HqKGbc

That sounds fantastic.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Where do I stick these improved shaders for CoP?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahah so I just got hit with 2 emissions in one day!

Ddraig I don't know if you're responsible for the radio freak out during the emissions but it no joke freaked me out.

E: Why is my Bear anomaly detector not showing me a green directional light but giving me distance beeps?

frank.club fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yes, the radio freak outs during emissions are my idea.

They cut out during emissions. During psi-storms (different from emissions), they switch to an "unknown broadcast" that's mostly comprised of various screams/radio noise and Russian Number Stations.

Most of them come from UVB-76 (The Buzzer), although the recordings are quite poor quality as I got them off youtube.

Incidentially, if you ever wonder what the deal with the mentions of "Woodpeckers" is all about in the loading screen text, it's a reference to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Woodpecker

As far as I'm aware, this isn't actually in Misery 2.0 anywhere, just a reference to it. I quite like the idea of all these weird radio broadcasts somehow being linked to the original creators of the Zone, though.

GruntyThrst posted:

Where do I stick these improved shaders for CoP?

If you're talking about the DLL that Swartz posted a link to, it goes into your bin folder. Make sure to back up the original, just incase.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 30, 2013