Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is the latest OGSE beta particularly buggy/unfinished, or is it just all in Russian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dvsilverwing posted:

It's even better if you find a semi-auto AKS-74 on one of the dead Clear Sky veterans (the ones with the better suit and gas mask). There are a few of them around if you just go to a battle that's happening somewhere. Also, loot every cache you have available, multiple times I've found an AR15 with 300 rounds of JHP ammo in them.

I was going to trade the Mosin for the BH 74, but I decided that the ability to easily one-shot almost everything around from 100 meters (especially when the guys fighting back have nothing but sawed-off shotguns and pistols) wasn't worth immediately giving up.

I only traded up to an AK-74 when the select fire guns started getting dropped in the Cordon regularly and I had the sneaking suspicion that I'd need something better than a double-barrel or pistol to fight in close quarters. Lo and behold, bandit ambush straight away after I got it!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

VDay posted:

Is the latest OGSE beta particularly buggy/unfinished, or is it just all in Russian?

It's still beta, and all in Russian. Apparently it's only for the Russian version of the game, and won't even work with Steam's version :(

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Aww that's a shame, the Russian wouldn't have been a problem.

Is ZRP + Aurora a decent fill-in until then? Or is there a better/different recommended combo for a first playthrough?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

VDay posted:

Aww that's a shame, the Russian wouldn't have been a problem.

Is ZRP + Aurora a decent fill-in until then? Or is there a better/different recommended combo for a first playthrough?

There's still OGSE 0.6.9.2, which is excellent and stable, if not the new hotness. ZRP is a solid base for a first playthrough, and Aurora is the current "state of the art" in graphics.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's worth pointing out that Autumn Aurora 2.1 now has ZRP built in.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Unnnngh, so excited for ogse 0693 to go full release. SOC really is the best of the series, also helps that with ogse the framerates are so amazingly smooth, I remember being blown away by how big of an improvement it was over vanilla. Haven't touched the series in probably a year now, getting the itch again.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I was going to trade the Mosin for the BH 74, but I decided that the ability to easily one-shot almost everything around from 100 meters (especially when the guys fighting back have nothing but sawed-off shotguns and pistols) wasn't worth immediately giving up.

I only traded up to an AK-74 when the select fire guns started getting dropped in the Cordon regularly and I had the sneaking suspicion that I'd need something better than a double-barrel or pistol to fight in close quarters. Lo and behold, bandit ambush straight away after I got it!

Looting veteran corpses for their AK's and MP5's is easy money. Also, I remember at the very top of the swamps encountering some respawning Bandits that, for some reason, had AR-15's and Vectors.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dvsilverwing posted:

Looting veteran corpses for their AK's and MP5's is easy money. Also, I remember at the very top of the swamps encountering some respawning Bandits that, for some reason, had AR-15's and Vectors.

I took the north entrance into the Cordon and found a bandit with a UMP9. I was stretching my carrying capacity to the limit and very nearly got hosed up by the Loners guarding the railway bridge, but I still dragged that sucker to Sidorovich.

And you can pull AK-74Ms off all the soldiers you end up killing. Combine that with the stash of 5.45mm in the car park and you're set for a while.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Does Autumn Aurora 2 still crash if you have to many quests active?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
On the subject of The Faction War: Getting to Limansk? anyone know how?
Plus one for the excited about OGSE, LA Directors, and a bunch of mods gang,

Ddraig posted:

Modidng for Lost Alpha has been woefully inadequate, which is odd as there's a vast slew of mods for SoC that would easily be ported over.

Etc.

I am looking forward to this, I hope it will play nice with LAWN & "S3r1ous Improvements"
Btw, its cool bumping around on MoDB and seeing your name and other posters on the thread popping up as having made popular mods and fixes,

staberind fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 27, 2015

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

Does Autumn Aurora 2 still crash if you have to many quests active?

Yes, according to the installer and the devs (Cromm Cruac). They've turned on the ZRP feature that disables dynamic quests ("defeat the bandits" every time you enter the Garbage, for eg), so you should no longer get to a point where you can't enter certain maps because of dynamic quests taking you over the limit.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Are there supposed to be a bunch of completely empty chests/stashes in the starting village in SOC and the nearby areas? The actual stashes with coordinates and map markings are fine, but every "regular" stash (like the couple in the attics of the houses in the starting village) I've found so far has been completely empty. Is that a ZRP change or did the loot table get screwed up somehow during the install or something? It's kind of a bummer finding a bunch of little semi-hidden stashes only to get literally nothing from them.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

VDay posted:

Are there supposed to be a bunch of completely empty chests/stashes in the starting village in SOC and the nearby areas? The actual stashes with coordinates and map markings are fine, but every "regular" stash I've found so far has been completely empty. Is that a ZRP change or did the loot table get screwed up somehow during the install or something? It's kind of a bummer finding a bunch of little semi-hidden stashes only to get literally nothing from them.

You need to find the coordinates before you can find anything in the stash.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am trying to get the ogse to work, however, I only have access to a gog edition of stalker soc, any suggestions?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

staberind posted:

On the subject of The Faction War: Getting to Limansk? anyone know how?
Plus one for the excited about OGSE, LA Directors, and a bunch of mods gang,

I am looking forward to this, I hope it will play nice with LAWN & "S3r1ous Improvements"
Btw, its cool bumping around on MoDB and seeing your name and other posters on the thread popping up as having made popular mods and fixes,

The mod almost fully incorporates S3r1ous improvements 4.8

The only things that haven't been implemented have been things that are either unnecessary or have been done better using a different mod.

e: Right now I'm revamping the trade system. I'm removing all dynamically changing inventories which are prone to errors and other weirdness and basically simplifying the things so certain traders will sell certain things and for the most parts will have a static inventory (of varying quantities, some items may be more rarer than others but what they sell will always be the same regardless of progress in game)

This will make finding stashes more worthwhile, scavenging an actual thing (some items you won't be able to get from traders so you have to find them yourselves) and give you an excuse to visit different traders for different items.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 27, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So there was a major project to translate Lost Alpha into Russian because it was only released in English (:ironicat:)

This includes some pretty top notch, professional sounding Russian VO for voiced elements that were English only. I'm thinking of making it an optional addon to the Lost Alpha mod, since the plot is nonsensical anyway, and I figure people would appreciate the authenticity of Russian VO.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ddraig posted:

So there was a major project to translate Lost Alpha into Russian because it was only released in English (:ironicat:)

This includes some pretty top notch, professional sounding Russian VO for voiced elements that were English only. I'm thinking of making it an optional addon to the Lost Alpha mod, since the plot is nonsensical anyway, and I figure people would appreciate the authenticity of Russian VO.

I think the game would be best in general with just English subtitles. I always find it awkward when anything set in a foreign country with English dubbing uses thick foreign accents to emphasize that they're not really speaking English. I personally find it better to put it in the native accents of that language.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Does OGSE 0.6.9.3 have dogs that can take off half your health? I kinda stopped playing 0.6.9.2 after I had to quick load several times just trying to do the 'clear the farm' mission in Cordon where several screaming fleshes spawn and one hit kill you while you reload your shotgun. I've run out of shotgun ammo before killing the easiest mutants in that mod.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
You're not gonna kill much with bird shot

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
So whats the best version of Misery to get? I've heard one of the updates made it more frustrating and annoying rather than just being difficult.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
2.1.1 with the Les Miserables unofficial patch.

Removes a lot of the frustration and artificial difficulty.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Misery 1.0 is also still worth playing. Not as many good features as misery 2.0 with les miserables, but also free from some of its bad ones.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Redux 2/Wormwood dev streamed his work on modding the sawmill to be an attempt at Freedom for a new base that got wrecked by a passing controller. Quite interesting, if even just to see the level editor in action.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I know it's called Misery and all but wow. This mod is rough.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

nexus6 posted:

Does OGSE 0.6.9.3 have dogs that can take off half your health? I kinda stopped playing 0.6.9.2 after I had to quick load several times just trying to do the 'clear the farm' mission in Cordon where several screaming fleshes spawn and one hit kill you while you reload your shotgun. I've run out of shotgun ammo before killing the easiest mutants in that mod.

Come on buddy, you're wearing a sport coat and swinging a wiffle bat at this point of the game, how many smacks from a flesh do you think you can handle?

Run awaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy :)

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am really enjoying the feeling of the stalker movie in SGM Geo.
Mainly : a lot of the spoken sections are silent, so its two or more guys awkwardly eying each other up as the camera pans around them.

I think the best stalker experience is in russian with subtitles, however, I'd like them to include bandits swearing and generally saying dozy stuff like glue sniffing chess players, bonus points is "what a strange trick" is included.

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012

staberind posted:

I am really enjoying the feeling of the stalker movie in SGM Geo.
Mainly : a lot of the spoken sections are silent, so its two or more guys awkwardly eying each other up as the camera pans around them.

I think the best stalker experience is in russian with subtitles, however, I'd like them to include bandits swearing and generally saying dozy stuff like glue sniffing chess players, bonus points is "what a strange trick" is included.

That actually sounds like it's up my street.

A general question:

What's the best Stalker mod experience which looks and plays great, brings something new and doesn't add lovely immersion-breaking cutscenes, stupid difficulty or OTT fanfic rewrites?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
OGSE by far. Faction War probably a close second.

OGSE 0.6.9.3 is going to blow people away, I guarantee that.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

It would be awesome if bolts/nuts were actually an inventory item. Throw it, watch it fly. If it doesn't dissolve, you can pick it up again, or leave it to mark the safe path.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I guess in theory you could probably increase the bolt destroy time to be as close to infinity as possible but I'd imagine level transitions would kill any active bolts etc, it's just an engine limitation.

A few mods do add in bolts as usable items, in that you need to buy them to use them etc.

I recently watched Stalker again because I'm on a bit of a Russian kick and god drat it's a good movie.

Another one I'd recommend is Ganavim Ba Hok (Thieves By Law)

It's a documentary following a group of Russian mobsters around and getting their perspective on life.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Killswitch posted:

Come on buddy, you're wearing a sport coat and swinging a wiffle bat at this point of the game, how many smacks from a flesh do you think you can handle?

Run awaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy :)

So no?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
OGSE 0.6.9.3 keeps the mutant/weapon balance much the same, so you're still relatively fragile, it has given you more opportunities to get good gear and has some amazing new toys to play with including deployable autoturrets you can carry around and use whenever. Know a bloodsucker is out there? Drop a turret and let that do the work for you

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That sounds exactly like the kind of needlessly pedantic features that misery 2.0 is full of and that make it so much worse than it could be. I always saw the bolts as just being a generic way of representing you throwing any bit of debris or scrap lying around as you need it, because that stuff is everywhere. You aren't exclusively using Degtaryev's Quality Fabubolts XL, of which he is the sole manufacturer, supplier and distributor.

e: referring to bolt inventory items, not turrets

A lot of STALKER mods seem to enjoy adding random things like that because it "just makes sense" or something like that, when the price you pay for a super insignificant amount of realistic detail is for the entire game to get slowed down by a tangential mechanic. For example, the one single feature of Redux 2.0/Wormwood that has been shown in any detail so far (from what I've seen) is the need to micromanage individual bullets within inventory-item magazines, because nothing ramps up the immersion like clicking little buttons inside of a menu you must glue your face to 80% of the gameplay. Already got enough of that from misery. I loved Redux 1.0 so that's not very encouraging thing to see right now.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 30, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ddraig posted:

OGSE by far. Faction War probably a close second.

OGSE 0.6.9.3 is going to blow people away, I guarantee that.

Is there an ETA on when 693 will be out of beta?

Not trying to sound impatient, I just have no idea how far along they are and how many people they have working on it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

deployable autoturrets sounds more like SGM kitchen sink excess than anything to do with misery

with all these changes hopefully they remember that the chimeras outside the bar all the time are stupid and remove them

e: also, misery 2.0 did nothing wrong. man up

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool auto turrets> dirty clothes item you have for some reason

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

up to this point in the history of STALKER mods, autoturrets have never been cool

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gestalt Intellect posted:

That sounds exactly like the kind of needlessly pedantic features that misery 2.0 is full of and that make it so much worse than it could be. I always saw the bolts as just being a generic way of representing you throwing any bit of debris or scrap lying around as you need it, because that stuff is everywhere. You aren't exclusively using Degtaryev's Quality Fabubolts XL, of which he is the sole manufacturer, supplier and distributor.

e: referring to bolt inventory items, not turrets

A lot of STALKER mods seem to enjoy adding random things like that because it "just makes sense" or something like that, when the price you pay for a super insignificant amount of realistic detail is for the entire game to get slowed down by a tangential mechanic. For example, the one single feature of Redux 2.0/Wormwood that has been shown in any detail so far (from what I've seen) is the need to micromanage individual bullets within inventory-item magazines, because nothing ramps up the immersion like clicking little buttons inside of a menu you must glue your face to 80% of the gameplay. Already got enough of that from misery. I loved Redux 1.0 so that's not very encouraging thing to see right now.

I'm generally okay with the concept of having magazines and rounds kept separate, since I'm a loving sperg. The problem is that I haven't seen a STALKER mod implement it in a way that's not terribly clunky and unintuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

baromodo posted:

That actually sounds like it's up my street.

A general question:

What's the best Stalker mod experience which looks and plays great, brings something new and doesn't add lovely immersion-breaking cutscenes, stupid difficulty or OTT fanfic rewrites?

Faction Wars is solid, Lost alpha is essentially a "What could have been" for Shadow of Chernobyl, and free, I'd suggest it first to anyone even vaguely interested in the genre, especially with Ddraigs additions when they are released.
SGM Geo is fun, but seems to break a couple of core sgm things, like the spare parts mechanic. with a vast arsnal, bigger than sgm 2.2. in fact, I wonder if its possible to cram the Geonesis guns into sgm 2.2...?