Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Just saw something in my FB feed: the newest trailer for s.t.a.l.k.e.r. in arma 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIJyaj3VQSE

ohhh man this looks so cool, almost too good to be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Robot Randy posted:

Whenever you level up you get a choice between two perks. I'm not sure how deep it goes but at level 2 or 3 I got a perk that showed all human enemies within 25m. I'm not sure if the faction you started out with has an effect on which you get
I wasn't sure how to activate the level-up screen, but it looks like it happens when you sleep. The level 1 perk was surprisingly useful with showing enemy health percentage. I wish more mods did that, just because Stalker seemingly has a lot going on with damage calculations. I think someone in this thread mentioned that individual fingers and eyes have hitbox/damage values to them too.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Just saw something in my FB feed: the newest trailer for s.t.a.l.k.e.r. in arma 3
I remember getting excited for Stalker in cry-engine. I assume that vanished into thin air :smithcloud:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That faction warfare mod for CoC has gotta come out sooner than later. TFW for Clear Sky crashes on me when I look at it funny.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So I'm currently in Poland so my girlfriend can see her family and I'm trying to convince her to travel to Ukraine so we can visit Chernobyl.

While I'm selling it as a once-in-a-lifetime trip to experience something we've never experienced before I'm really angling to go there for inspiration for Radium :kiddo:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Ddraig posted:

So I'm currently in Poland so my girlfriend can see her family and I'm trying to convince her to travel to Ukraine so we can visit Chernobyl.

While I'm selling it as a once-in-a-lifetime trip to experience something we've never experienced before I'm really angling to go there for inspiration for Radium :kiddo:

Uuuuhhh, there's a war on in the Ukraine, dude.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pripyat is northwest of Kiev. I don't watch the news, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't gotten that far west.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pripyat is northwest of Kiev. I don't watch the news, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't gotten that far west.

Yeah, the areas to watch out for are the Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts.

Kiev and the surrounding areas are pretty safe.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hmm consider not going to a mismanaged radioactive disaster zone

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Ahundredbux posted:

You make a compelling argument but on the other hand it's really loving cool.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Ahundredbux posted:

live a little

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Ok then bring a gun and shoot some guys

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Ddraig posted:

You make a compelling argument but on the other hand it's really loving cool.

I've been trying to plan a Chernobyl trip this year, and this is my exact line of reasoning.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ahundredbux posted:

My dad went once for his work (IAEA), just get a legit guide and you'll be fine.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why's that? I've got Arsenal Overhaul on there and like it. There's a lot of redundant stuff, and the AK-12 feels like it belongs more as the top gun in a Metro game than in STALKER (Maybe for Monolith?), but I love the KS-23.

Curious, what version of CoC are you running? The only file I can find for AO3 on moddb supports 1.3.2, but supposedly not my version 1.3.12. My autopatcher says 1.3.12 is the most recent..so what gives?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not sure, I haven't played in months. It was right after AO3.1 was officially merged with CoC.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
COC 1.3.2 is out, God is great.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Ddraig posted:

Whoa jealous - I've always wanted to go there

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

I bought CoP on discount. I guess I'm looking for a vanilla+ experience for the first playthrough. I've been looking at AtmosFear and some of the gun mods, but I'm a bit hesitant to gently caress around without knowing what's going on. I don't want poo poo to break, or to have ridiculous rocket launchers lying around etc. What would you recommend for an enhanced first playthrough?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
CoP is the first STALKER game to be quite playable without mods, IIRC

but once you have a feel for it Arsenal is pretty fuckin good

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!
I think I'm getting towards the end of Clear Sky and I can tell why people dislike this game so much. Getting continually loving assraped by endless copy and paste Monolith enemies is pretty far from fun. Not to say the game leading up until this point didn't suck but at least I didn't have to reload my save file literally every 10 seconds. :argh:

Has anybody managed to get past that section that's just you stuck in an enclosed area with an army helicopter flying overhead and endless Monolith people swarming in after you? The only sensible solution I can think of is to just run but there's nowhere to run to.

drguildo fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 3, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I haven't played it since before CoP came out, but are you talking about the hospital/prison type place? Or are you at the NPP already? If you're in the hospital that looks like a prison, what I remember having to do is shoot and scoot. Clear out the monolith in the room across from you, sprint across, rinse, repeat. IIRC guys spawn in behind you, so you're going to get shot. A lot. Be ready to spam that med kit. That segment is as bad as the dash to the NPP in SoC. It takes a game that rewards methodical, careful play and makes you just bull rush through everything while spamming the [ key.

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I haven't played it since before CoP came out, but are you talking about the hospital/prison type place? Or are you at the NPP already? If you're in the hospital that looks like a prison, what I remember having to do is shoot and scoot. Clear out the monolith in the room across from you, sprint across, rinse, repeat. IIRC guys spawn in behind you, so you're going to get shot. A lot. Be ready to spam that med kit. That segment is as bad as the dash to the NPP in SoC. It takes a game that rewards methodical, careful play and makes you just bull rush through everything while spamming the [ key.

It's the bit before the NPP. I finally managed it and it turns out you had to shoot down the helicopter so that it would crash and open up an exit. Shame there's literally no hint that this is what you're supposed to do and seeing as said helicopter has a minigun attached to it that it's all too fond of firing at your face, going up against it is actually a pretty stupid thing to do and, like you say, goes against the, I assumed, ethos of the game. The game is pretty flawed as it is but it seems to get exponentially worse as it goes on.

EDIT: Sooo... any recommendations for a first time Call of Pripyat playthrough?

drguildo fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 3, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Honestly, I'd personally play it vanilla. Maybe someone else will have advice for a performance / cosmetic only mod. CoP is where they finally got the engine optimized decently, improved the graphics significantly, got a good UI going, and made it really stable. I don't remember what CS was like, but guns also work really well and hit what you're aiming at, unlike vanilla SoC.

I'm thinking about doing a second CS runthrough. Should I install Complete and Clear Skies together? Do those fix it enough that it's on the same level as other games? I remember playing Clear Skies Redux and hating it. That was a team that though harder = better, to the point where two shotgun blasts to the head at close range wouldn't kill a boar.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I used Complete Mod for SoC, loved it. Couldn't get into Clear Sky at all, and tried complete for CoP. I didn't get into it much. Immediately switched over to Misery and never looked back. Only mod I have for it is the scope mod for it (found on their forums), and that's it. It doesn't need anything else. Yes it is harder. No, I do not mind that, at all. The graphics, atmosphere provided by atmosfear, and every other part just makes it so cool to play. It actually makes me feel like I am a lone stalker, with problems to deal with like suit repair, constant fear of mutant attacks, and having to plan out my routes and keep an eye out at all times. No minimap so I need to remember where things are, and I don't have an easy way to find dead soldiers I've dropped. It can be hard sometimes in the long grass :) Currently on my 7th playthrough (at least), this time as a Recon, and I couldn't enjoy this game more.

A lot of people don't like the Misery mod. For me, it's one of the best I've played. I'd recommend trying out CoP with whatever mod this group recommends, but then I would absolutely recommend giving the MIsery mod a try.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Clear Sky had a really good alternate start / faction war mod that was a ton more fun than the vanilla, especially with modded guns. Basically, all the factions constantly attacked and defended turf, like San Andreas.

I don't remember ever seeing anything quite to the same faction war extent for CoP/CoC, but I haven't been watching as closely.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Was that faction fronts?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

drguildo posted:

Sooo... any recommendations for a first time Call of Pripyat playthrough?

Like others said, play it vanilla for your first time through. In case you're looking for gameplay tips, I want to point out that you should hold on to certain faction-related intel items until you get to the second area. If you want a really good weapon early on, find an upgrade an Abakan. The 2-shot burst actually works as advertised in CoP.

Despite what I said before in this thread, I want to second the love for Misery. There's a lot of issues to deal with (notably how there's dozens of small items with tiny similar-looking icons), but if you want gritty, opressive, grungy atmosphere, there's nothing better.

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm thinking about doing a second CS runthrough. Should I install Complete and Clear Skies together? Do those fix it enough that it's on the same level as other games? I remember playing Clear Skies Redux and hating it. That was a team that though harder = better, to the point where two shotgun blasts to the head at close range wouldn't kill a boar.

I only used Sky Reclamation Project because I hear people bitching about the Complete mods and how they change the base game too much. Although, in the case of Clear Sky that might not be such a bad thing. Also, unlike a lot of mods (including Clear Sky Complete) SRP was updated relatively recently (i.e. within the last year).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The only thing I'd add on to COP for your first run throught is Atmosfear and its texture packs, though that can change the visual tone of the game a little.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
OGSM for Clear Sky is legit the most fun I've had with a Clear Sky mod that wasn't The Faction Wars.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Eargesplitten asked for this so I figured I'd post it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/73syozmm8p49f17/Clear_Sky.7z

OGSM, the latest updated version I could find, with SWTC ontop of it.

This is basically like the original OGSM for SoC in that it adds a bunch of pseudo-cut content, and makes gameplay more varied/interesting. SWTC also looks nice.

It's very badly translated at the moment so YMMV

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Blaster Sounds & Tracers for CoC

PS: Ddraig, get your butt on steam, I got more useless crap from PYF to link you.

e; also, get the greatest CoC mod around! Don't be like that one kid who didn't have a N64 in the 90's http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/immersion-ruining-radio-mod-20

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

Mordja posted:

The only thing I'd add on to COP for your first run throught is Atmosfear and its texture packs, though that can change the visual tone of the game a little.
I remember downloading it and the readme.txt saying that you need a beast of a machine to run it so I didn't install it.

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

drguildo posted:

Has anybody managed to get past that section that's just you stuck in an enclosed area with an army helicopter flying overhead and endless Monolith people swarming in after you? The only sensible solution I can think of is to just run but there's nowhere to run to.

The hospital? I wouldn't call it Clear Sky's best moment, but I don't remember having more trouble with it than anywhere else. My beef with a place being overly hard in Clear Sky would actually be with Limansk. If you can beat Limansk, you can beat the hospital. The hospital just seemed to have poor design (who builds a hospital in a trench??).

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

My understanding was that the hospital collapsed into a fissure or something.

Still a bullshit section. I actually liked the house to house combat of Limansk

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Ripping through Limansk with the PKP and RGL-36 they give you was a very fun change of pace IMO

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Robot Randy posted:

Ripping through Limansk with the PKP and RGL-36 they give you was a very fun change of pace IMO

It was. I ended up using the special AK that takes 7.62x54 ammo, though. I use iron sights for almost everything.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

drguildo posted:

I remember downloading it and the readme.txt saying that you need a beast of a machine to run it so I didn't install it.

Around the time the game came out, definitely. But it came out 7 years ago so if you have a computer newer than that you're fine. Most of the bottleneck in stalker games is CPU as well so adding more load on the GPU won't hurt you unless your GPU is super old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
The only thing I did with CoP is increase the grass draw distance, it looks like serious poo poo when grass vanishes 30 yards away. It is, however, very taxing on your computer and it's not a straightfoward console command -- you have to download new DLLs for it.

Maybe at that point you might as well just use Atmosfear, IDK