Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have a clue why there's so much hate for the story in CS. I view the story in COP as far worse.

And generally I prefer CS over COP when it functions right, which brings me to this: someone did basically fix it engine-wise. I'll release the bins after some more modifications of my own (trying to get shadows to not look like trash and instead use the COP cascaded shadow system), and I want to play further to make sure he got rid of the periodic save corruption as well.

It performs and looks a lot better now, faction wars are fixed, and some other goodies.

Anyway, the reason I asked earlier is because I'm interested in fixing CS up with COP/Radium code, and in general there are two others on the Radium team anyway that have expressed interest in a Radiumesque side-project for CS.

Goons may not play it but I sure as hell would, and I'm sure there are others who like CS more than COP as well (hint: there's a shitload more to do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Didn't play too much of CS so I don't have an opinion one way or the other but I think to most it must feel like a let down after Strelok. And then you're just resigned to mediocre protagonists when you get Degtayrev that it doesn't feel as bad.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I enjoyed CS, especially with SRP and AO fixing core game issues. Starts slow but the middle to late game is as strong as anything in the series. It's only the hospital where it gets to be a bit of a slog.

I'd love to play CS with a better engine.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Just coming back for another round and installed the Call of Chernobyl with AO3. What's everyone else using with CoC? Have there been any new mods worth checking out?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

NeoSeeker posted:

Just coming back for another round and installed the Call of Chernobyl with AO3. What's everyone else using with CoC? Have there been any new mods worth checking out?

Further to this, any interesting mods in dev?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

and while we're at it, what CoP mods should i be looking at for a general "more stuff" experience, kind of like Oblivion Lost was for SoC? Swartz mod appears to now have died, and the OP's not been updated since 2013

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Swartz posted:

I don't have a clue why there's so much hate for the story in CS. I view the story in COP as far worse.

The story in CoP just kind of felt... there. It's unobtrusive, and doesn't really show up too much until the last 3/4's of the game or so. Also, military intelligence being poo poo is something I can just go "yeah, that makes sense."

CS's story is aggressively dumb. Hunting for Strelok sounds cool, but every encounter with him felt like a let down, and having a seemingly important and influential faction just disappear with no mention in SoC was also disappointing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It kind of makes sense. They were making a full-scale assault on the NPP when the emission hit. The ones that survived like Nimble probably just became Loners or went to other factions.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

and while we're at it, what CoP mods should i be looking at for a general "more stuff" experience, kind of like Oblivion Lost was for SoC? Swartz mod appears to now have died, and the OP's not been updated since 2013

SGM has the most new quest content: http://www.moddb.com/mods/sigerous-sgm

Of the variants there, 2.0 has the Geonezis addon which brings in a ton of new quest content by itself and is the largest of the lot. Try that.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Further to this, any interesting mods in dev?

I actually heard of a faction wars like mod for it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Buglord

NeoSeeker posted:

I actually heard of a faction wars like mod for it.
Warfare is that mod. The dev seems cool enough, but he's between university and full time jobs so updates come in spurts. Right now its more barebones and proof-of-concept. There's no real difficulty associated with it yet, because you have to spawn in reinforcements for free, same with the support helicopters.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

v1ld posted:

SGM has the most new quest content: http://www.moddb.com/mods/sigerous-sgm

Of the variants there, 2.0 has the Geonezis addon which brings in a ton of new quest content by itself and is the largest of the lot. Try that.

Be careful with the Geo add on. While it's really good if you don't do exactly what it says then you're going to have a bad time. I.e. some of the starter enemies being almost immune to 5.45 unless you can get a clean shot in the head. I didn't beat it but it's a good mod with lots of weapons and cool stuff.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How's the stability on 2.0? I started up 2.2, and within the first ten minutes I was greeted by the reintroduced Ukrainian Olympic shotput team and then it crashed to desktop.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Got ambused by my first bloodsucker the other day. Actually yelled out cyka blyat.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Was it Clear Sky or CoP where you could find Streloks' crew stashes. That was pretty neat imo. You could get the Doctor's special armor, and find a few cool unique weapons like Strelok's Gun iirc. I actually like hunting stashes down it's kind of a fun minigame.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That was CoP, and it was cool. You could also give Strelok the notes they all left each other once you ran into him.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

Was it Clear Sky or CoP where you could find Streloks' crew stashes. That was pretty neat imo. You could get the Doctor's special armor, and find a few cool unique weapons like Strelok's Gun iirc. I actually like hunting stashes down it's kind of a fun minigame.

Couldn't you find Fang's grave in ShoC? Didn't it have like an exo or fn2k or something?

Also, Freeman I guess.

e: yeah, an exo

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 15, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, there was a unique exoskeleton in Fang's grave in Pripyat, but you had to get the stash at random before you could get it. I really felt like that zone was underutilized. It makes sense given that the plot at that point is everyone making a mad dash toward the sarcophagus, but there are entire chunks of the map I would bet 90% of people who played never saw.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, there was a unique exoskeleton in Fang's grave in Pripyat, but you had to get the stash at random before you could get it. I really felt like that zone was underutilized. It makes sense given that the plot at that point is everyone making a mad dash toward the sarcophagus, but there are entire chunks of the map I would bet 90% of people who played never saw.

I loved that bit - you're exhausted after turning off the brain scorcher and fighting the whole of the Monolith 2nd Army. You walk up to where the road splits and then gently caress me, the whole of the zone is intent on killing each other right in front of you.

And then, then, you get to Pripyat. ShoC really was marvellously paced.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Wait, a timer appears or what?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How's the stability on 2.0? I started up 2.2, and within the first ten minutes I was greeted by the reintroduced Ukrainian Olympic shotput team and then it crashed to desktop.

i have not had any crashes at all on 2.2 after verifying my steam gamefiles, deleting the previous gamedata file, and putting the mod gamedata in there

i have, however, met an impasse when attempting to use the explosives on sidrovich's door. i have no idea what the gently caress to do because setting them from my inventory does zip

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I think I might just try 2.2, then. The gun you start with in 2.0 is pretty cool, though. AKS-74U with upgraded accuracy, scope, grenade launcher, and low recoil. Damage sucks, though. I think I might see if I can port it to 2.0 and spawn it in debug to start the game for fun.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i have not had any crashes at all on 2.2 after verifying my steam gamefiles, deleting the previous gamedata file, and putting the mod gamedata in there

i have, however, met an impasse when attempting to use the explosives on sidrovich's door. i have no idea what the gently caress to do because setting them from my inventory does zip

Okay, nope, gently caress that. Veteran mode, I die from a single shotgun blast, bandits in jackets survive 15 aks-74u shots. And I'm standing right next to them, so it's not like most of them are missing like normally would happen with that gun. I can't even get it to start in debug mode, so I can't give myself a better gun or armor.

E: Turns out that the enemies are invincible until you have the mission to kill them. I thought I already did, but I guess not. Invincible enemies are the best game design ever.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 16, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: Turns out that the enemies are invincible until you have the mission to kill them. I thought I already did, but I guess not. Invincible enemies are the best game design ever.

That is dumb as gently caress especially in the Stalker universe where even early game bandits are dangerous to you with late game gear.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Is debug mode available for ogse 0693? Some of these quests are kinda confusing, hoping to just spawn items so I can complete the drat things

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Buglord

Powercrazy posted:

That is dumb as gently caress especially in the Stalker universe where even early game bandits are dangerous to you with late game gear.

Seems in line with SGM after 1.7. There were some pretty nonsensical starter missions in 2.0 that you had to go through. Some brave, kind souled modder disabled them luckily. The stupidity of those wasn't as bad as the Stalkersoup dream-sequence maze with an exoskeleton and minigun thing.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

The storyline was fine, wasn't it? Certainly no stupider than CoPs "You mean anomolies move????"

This is the best part of the whole story, I love that there wasn't any grand conspiracy, just a basic fact that people in the Zone knew since the events of Clear Sky, but the military didn't.

I played CS vanilla and it was fine (although I took a detour I clearly wasn't supposed to be able to take to get past the machinegun). Stupid-rear end parts of the story: severe prequelitis (why the gently caress didn't Sakharov say HMM SEEMS FAMILIAR when the Marked One came to him in SoC?). Also, CoP made the story much stupider by mentioning Lebedev, Kalancha, and the Clear Sky trader out of all people as some of the original noosphere researchers. Why the gently caress were they speculating about the nature of the Zone? They should have all known what happened. Clear Sky being wiped out is fine -- they were secretive and they all became Monolith.

Do we know for a fact that faction wars are "broken"? Everyone seems to think that you're supposed to be able to wipe out the opposing faction, but to me it seemed that the opposing base respawning was a feature for replayability.

AugmentedVision fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 17, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

To be fair, it's not like they're just a random outpost in the middle of the zone you have to avoid constantly. That would be Chernobyl Chronicles, where you get a mission that has the potential to cause a bunch of mercs to be hostile to you, and the leader is invincible. This was the first batch of enemies you would see, and I didn't go back to talk to the quest giver like I was supposed to. Still loving stupid.

SGM 2.2 also managed to make the swamps worse. Not only is the water radioactive, but there's springboard anomalies all over the place blocking off half the pathways. I don't know why I'm still playing this. They also haven't yet introduced a trader that will buy guns, which really pisses me off, especially considering that repairs are stupid expensive. They also don't give you a technician until halfway through the first map, and guns wear out stupidly quick.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

To be fair, it's not like they're just a random outpost in the middle of the zone you have to avoid constantly. That would be Chernobyl Chronicles, where you get a mission that has the potential to cause a bunch of mercs to be hostile to you, and the leader is invincible. This was the first batch of enemies you would see, and I didn't go back to talk to the quest giver like I was supposed to. Still loving stupid.

SGM 2.2 also managed to make the swamps worse. Not only is the water radioactive, but there's springboard anomalies all over the place blocking off half the pathways. I don't know why I'm still playing this. They also haven't yet introduced a trader that will buy guns, which really pisses me off, especially considering that repairs are stupid expensive. They also don't give you a technician until halfway through the first map, and guns wear out stupidly quick.

Wasn't the marsh water always radioactive? I remember dodging the water in CoP for a long time because of this.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In CS, yes, it was. But unless AO3.1 changed it, in vanilla COP it wasn't. Which really makes sense. I know a lot of mods (including Swartz Mod) added it, but while it's realistic and makes sense, it's lovely from a gameplay perspective. Both the swamps and Zaton are the first zone of their respective games. This is the point at which Stalker games are already the hardest. Adding radioactive water, while realistic, just adds more difficulty to the beginning while doing nothing for the later game because Jupiter, Pripyat, and all of the CS / SoC zones aside from the swamps have next to no water.

I still have a habit of running around water in Zaton as well.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

In CS, yes, it was. But unless AO3.1 changed it, in vanilla COP it wasn't. Which really makes sense. I know a lot of mods (including Swartz Mod) added it, but while it's realistic and makes sense, it's lovely from a gameplay perspective. Both the swamps and Zaton are the first zone of their respective games. This is the point at which Stalker games are already the hardest. Adding radioactive water, while realistic, just adds more difficulty to the beginning while doing nothing for the later game because Jupiter, Pripyat, and all of the CS / SoC zones aside from the swamps have next to no water.

I still have a habit of running around water in Zaton as well.

Isn't water like the least likely substance to be/made radioactive? I mean I know why they did it - to create passageways and nomansland, but in reality there's like 18ft catfish living in the cooling pools at the CNPP.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The water in chernobyl isn't very radioactive, for numerous reasons, one of which is the water cycle.

Most radioactive things are pretty much forests, large structures etc because they tend to cling onto any radiation they get hold of and accumulate it.

In Chernobyl itself you can actually get so close to Reactor 4 itself it's ridiculous. Like, it feels like it couldn't possibly be safe to get as close to the epicenter of the entire thing as you can, but it turns out the sarcophagus was actually that good at containing it, and the new containment structure looks like it'll be even better than the temporary, makeshift thing they put up initially.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Buglord

Ddraig posted:

In Chernobyl itself you can actually get so close to Reactor 4 itself it's ridiculous. Like, it feels like it couldn't possibly be safe to get as close to the epicenter of the entire thing as you can, but it turns out the sarcophagus was actually that good at containing it, and the new containment structure looks like it'll be even better than the temporary, makeshift thing they put up initially.

Is this in game or are you the one goon who's vacationing with his girlfriend/wife to chernobyl?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Avocados posted:

Is this in game or are you the one goon who's vacationing with his girlfriend/wife to chernobyl?

Naw, Stalker 2 was confirmed as a minecraft-lite sarc repair game. Watch out for the bloodsuckers who demolish your structure while you're not looking!!! Also, slenderman.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Avocados posted:

The latter. We went and it was cool.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

right, so in SGM 2.2, the explosives i got from a random stash after killing a bandit were not, in fact, the plot explosives i was supposed to find to open sidrovich's bunker. the actual plot explosives spawn in the basement of a village house once you've checked the door to see that it needs blasting open.

that was frustrating. the "spawn solution once you've checked the obstruction" thing happens with the next quest as well, annoyingly. also it turns out bandits like putting big heavy metal safes as high up and up as many stairs as possible. still, sgm 2.2 seems pretty stable so far, only had one crash after ragdolling six bandits at once

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It does that at the northern checkpoint as well. You have to go to the gate and then go in the building to the chest. That northern checkpoint was the worst. About a dozen bandits with only one way to approach them. At least I got the no grenades option working.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
SGM quests are annoying as hell. Thank god Radium won't be doing poo poo like that.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Ugh.. alright I'm in a real bind and need some help here.

Replaying SHoC with the latest version of ZRP and the highly recommended shaders from the OP. Did the mission for Freedom where you clear out the Duty camp. Now whenever I go back to the Bar, everyone there wants to kill me, and will even follow me into the Bar where I cannot draw a weapon. This never happened to me on previous playthroughs. Is there any kind of console command or tweak to my save file I can make to repair my standing with Duty? I really REALLY don't want to start over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I'd imagine that you're probably boned as I did that on one of my first playthroughs. I think you can still do the mission and simply not shoot anyone.