Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, Groza's bullet drop is pretty nuts. Really surprised to hear anyone tried to snipe with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Vintorez uses the same bullet.

I just wish I could get a PSO on the 74U. It fits IRL, and the 2.7x PSO would be much nicer than that 4x 1P29 or whatever it's called.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vintorez has the same problem in this. You wont get hits past 100 meters :( Its a modelling issue on their part I imagine, the bullet just falls outta the air at a certain range rather than maintain a reasonable flight profile.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
To be honest, I got used to it in one of the stalkersoups, its a ridiculous gun, but I like it.
so, a couple of starting Hintz.
Free Sunrise suit : Strelocks stash, Agroprom
Generally : pick up and store any kind of stuff from animals, stalkers want 8 x bear assholes or whatever, go get them from storage...

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Where is it safe to store things?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Pretty much anywhere it was safe in the old games i.e. the various storage lockers in places like Rostok or Skadovsk and in any stash.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Azran posted:

Where is it safe to store things?

Backpacks. You can get them off vendors and looting the dead, make a stash that only you can grab stuff from anywhere.
It isn't a bad idea to stroll around with extra supplies and a few packs and make emergency stashes. Especially now with ironman mode.

Also sniping with the groza isn't hard if you get used to that bullet. The bullet is still lethal after the drop, I've made some pretty long shots with the Val. Plus carrying a scope is way better than carrying another rifle and everything needed for that.

This is nice for anyone waiting for a Warfare update:
http://forum.epicstalker.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=413

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 2, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

staberind posted:

Free Sunrise suit : Strelocks stash, Agroprom

drat, I wish I had realized that. Oh well. I found an M14 EBR on a bandit, which allowed me to find an AEK-971 and AK-12 M43 on some military guys. Not sure I'll keep the EBR, that 2x scope just limits the potential of the gun too much. I also found a Glock 20, but having looked at the stats I think I'm better off with the FN FNP45 I found, since the .45 hydroshock rounds are so ridiculously good.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
i tried the warfare mod with 1.3.20 once but i went to dead city, antagonizing the mercs, and it got to the point where i had camped out a building and killed like 40 of them and new ones kept spawning in (i saw them spawn next to me) and i was like "this is loving ridiculous, there's practically no mutants but there's respawning humans, i feel like i'm playing COD." did i do something wrong or is that how it's supposed to work

also a favored loadout of mine is rifle (5.45 if going south, 5.56 if going north), sawed-off shotgun if not going to mutant-heavy area (it's so light and quite powerful) and wolfhound's USP match that i bought off nimble. 45 ammo can be found practically everywhere now so i don't see a point in using 9x18 or 9x19, 45 is so much more powerful. also 50ae and 357 don't seem to have a power increase great enough to warrant the extra weight + rarer and more expensive ammo

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 3, 2016

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I kinda don't see the point in pistols outside of the start or just for cool points ever since you could equip anything in either weapon slot. An assault/sniper rifle or SMG in one for human enemies and a shotgun in the other for mutants is a no-brainer. I guess you lose a tiny bit of weight capacity but carrying a streetsweeper on my hip seems plenty worth taking on like 2 kg over a pistol.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

big cock Salaryman posted:

i tried the warfare mod with 1.3.20 once but i went to dead city, antagonizing the mercs, and it got to the point where i had camped out a building and killed like 40 of them and new ones kept spawning in (i saw them spawn next to me) and i was like "this is loving ridiculous, there's practically no mutants but there's respawning humans, i feel like i'm playing COD." did i do something wrong or is that how it's supposed to work
This exact thing happened to me like 3 months ago. I racked up a serious amount of kills (and deaths) to an extent where the unlooted bodies started to despawn. Eventually more and more of them came until I had to sprint out of there on rookie difficulty.

Gobblecoque posted:

I kinda don't see the point in pistols outside of the start or just for cool points ever since you could equip anything in either weapon slot. An assault/sniper rifle or SMG in one for human enemies and a shotgun in the other for mutants is a no-brainer. I guess you lose a tiny bit of weight capacity but carrying a streetsweeper on my hip seems plenty worth taking on like 2 kg over a pistol.

Outside of Misery 1 (where pistols seem to retain their lethalness), my experience with pistols has been the same. My backup gun is usually a shotgun, or a really high fire-rate SMG for even more cool points.

I need a reason to play CoC again. Im trying to think of a gimmick run I can do which isn't semi/bolts only (since thats always been my favorite way to play stalker).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dali Parton posted:

Outside of Misery 1 (where pistols seem to retain their lethalness), my experience with pistols has been the same. My backup gun is usually a shotgun, or a really high fire-rate SMG for even more cool points.

I need a reason to play CoC again. Im trying to think of a gimmick run I can do which isn't semi/bolts only (since thats always been my favorite way to play stalker).

You just answered your own question. Only pistols in the secondary slot. A good pistol is really effective against mutants, and with the right ammo it's actually effective against armored enemies. Unlike vanilla SoC. I once emptied a full 16-round magazine from a Walther into a soldier's chest from 5 feet away in SoC and it didn't kill him.

A shotgun's weight difference isn't only the gun weight, either. You're also dealing with how stupidly heavy buckshot is. And there's the cool factor like the guy above said.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

wellll the modded usp match with full auto mode, 16 rd clip and hydroshock is very powerful. i've done some looting runs where i don't take any weapons except that pistol and 100 rounds of hydroshock, i pick up whatever rifle/shotgun i need along the way and ditch as necessary, and it really works. hydroshock will drop an unarmored bandit in one hit, armored enemies in 2-5, kill a boar in 4 if you hit the head.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Are helicopters a source of CTDs? I brought one down over the bandit base in Cordon just fine, then one over the military outpost leading to Garbage but as soon as its health bar depleted, the game crashed. I just now noticed it was hovering outside of level bounds.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Another vote for Match with Hydrashock.

I used to always run with a scoped rifle and a shotgun until I did a no shotty run for a bit in CoC. It's fun having to use a rifle or pistol against mutants. Your tactics change when you can shoot from much further and you have larger mags and rpm.

An upgraded .45 pistol is a good medium range weapon too, so I'm now doing a no shotty, no assault/full auto rifle run in CoC: Match and an SVD (will be replaced with Lynx soon). That pistol plus found rifle idea sounds cool too.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I wish you could have the big semi/bolt rifles with no optics, irons only also puts some challenge back into the game.

Is there any reason they took the dart/flechette ammo out of the game? If i recall it was just buckshot with better armor piercing and that seems like a perfectly fine niche.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I switched to Clear Sky + The Faction Wars in the meantime, and man, while I'm having fun with faction combat having a point to it, there's so many QoL improvements from CoP/CoC that I miss. Money making being much more difficult is a nice change of pace, but bleeding wounds/radiation being such a constant pain to deal with is kinda pissing me off. The abundance of scoped shotguns is also pissing me off, since enemy shooters manage to pull off what feels like some ridiculous headshots way too much.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Fellis posted:

I wish you could have the big semi/bolt rifles with no optics, irons only also puts some challenge back into the game.

I don't think it adds good challenge though. In many situations you have to pixel hunt when a bandit is firing at you in foliage because he can see through bushes. Same with nighttime situations. Scopes equalize the playing field by giving you a decent chance to spot before some swamp-dwelling cheeki breeki no-scopes you through dense cattails.

Someone needs to port Misery 2's AI, because at least there everyone didn't have laser vision. :sigh:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dali Parton posted:

I don't think it adds good challenge though. In many situations you have to pixel hunt when a bandit is firing at you in foliage because he can see through bushes. Same with nighttime situations. Scopes equalize the playing field by giving you a decent chance to spot before some swamp-dwelling cheeki breeki no-scopes you through dense cattails.

Someone needs to port Misery 2's AI, because at least there everyone didn't have laser vision. :sigh:

I think its a question of playstyle. I play pretty safely and anytime my PDA tracker beeps i find cover and snipe that jerk if I can, so having my effective range reduced helps make that more challenging.

I don't usually find myself surprised by the AI aside from mutants. If i do get dropped on I usually retreat. I blame playing ironman, where all my deaths were to surprise bloodsuckers/chimeras.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You could use the M14 EBR. It still has an optic, but it's only 2x so it's not much more zoom than irons.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Fellis posted:

It sounds like you're basically looking for a Mosin. It uses ironsights by default and shares ammo with the SVD so I imagine it's damage is similar.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Having a pistol as a sidearm isn't a bad idea. Ammo is going to be everywhere because pretty much all stalkers use pistols and there are only 3 ammo types. They don't weigh anything (most can be modded to weigh as much as a small paperweight) and neither does the ammo, but again the ammo part doesn't matter much because it's everywhere.

Mod them up with larger magazines, higher rates of fire and faster muzzle velocities. Then they might as well be converted over to a carbine.

That being said I would really like to see some pistol carbines. Magpul throws out conversion kits like it ain't nothing. And the FMG is just really cool.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I personally loved the Kriss from the OL mod. Used.45 and could fire semi and full auto. The hard part was getting ammo for it

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
About to try the winter + depopulation addons for COC, this should be interesting
e:
oh hell yes, I'm not convinced this isn't the way the game was always meant to be

It's got crunchy footstep sounds too, it's just missing footprint effects and any kind of hypothermia system

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 4, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
And a random sleigh and reindeer to shoot down for special suits, armor and weapons

Dali Parton posted:

This exact thing happened to me like 3 months ago. I racked up a serious amount of kills (and deaths) to an extent where the unlooted bodies started to despawn. Eventually more and more of them came until I had to sprint out of there on rookie difficulty.

I got the same last night. Playing Monolith I got a mission to take out some stalker that was trying to break through again and he happened to be in the swamps. I figured gently caress it, I'll port to the swamps rather than trudging through multiple maps and spawned in the middle of that village right outside Clear Sky's main base. Just wave after wave of'em. Finally I just packed my poo poo and ran because they wouldn't stop coming and it was eating my ammo up. Turns out the guy I was after was a bandit and CS shot him not long after I bolted from that village, so meh

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do I need to do something specific to get Prof Kruglov to upgrade things, as he is not in my games, just repairs stuff.
I restarted a couple of times and ran to Yantar to make sure.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

It sounds like you're basically looking for a Mosin. It uses ironsights by default and shares ammo with the SVD so I imagine it's damage is similar.

Yeah pretty much. I haven't found a mosin in any of my CoC playthroughs though, just SVT's :(

I remember some mod where all Siderovich had till you ranked up some was mosin's, hunting shotguns, and makarovs and that ruled to start even though it was pretty trivial to take out the military checkpoint at the bridge.

Saint Sputnik posted:

About to try the winter + depopulation addons for COC, this should be interesting
e:
oh hell yes, I'm not convinced this isn't the way the game was always meant to be

It's got crunchy footstep sounds too, it's just missing footprint effects and any kind of hypothermia system

Dang that looks amazing. I'd like to imagine that a lot of the Zone departs during the awful winters and the levels open up as the skeleton crews of the military, mercs, freedom, duty consolidate around their strongest bases, while Monolith recaptures all the territory that stalkers fought for during the warmer months. Maybe emissions are 10x worse as the radiation is kicked into the snowstorms and blowouts essentially last days instead of hours. Just from a lore point though, that would be awful to play through.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

staberind posted:

Do I need to do something specific to get Prof Kruglov to upgrade things, as he is not in my games, just repairs stuff.

Be an ecologist?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mosins: kill bandits in Garbage/Cordon. They aren't hugely common, but I've seen maybe five in a few runs through there.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fellis posted:

Be an ecologist?

Nope, just says "cannot be installed" on everything.
no matter loner or ecologist.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Fellis posted:

Yeah pretty much. I haven't found a mosin in any of my CoC playthroughs though, just SVT's :(

That's a shame, for me they seem to turn up pretty often on bandits and some loners, especially at the Cordon.

staberind posted:

I don't think I did anything special, just asked him about apparently being good with a file or some poo poo.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

has anyone tried doing the 1.4 story yet? it said something about starting with finding Doc but i haven't found him so i went ahead and disabled the brain scorcher and now i have a quest item about "a voice from the north," obviously the wish granter. feel like that'd just get me a bad ending tho

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
One of the bandit spawns in the Swamp is Doc's shack, he just sorta chilled while a military chopper shelled his house because my bandit buddies decided to gently caress with a patrol

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

gently caress them for making people go through the single worst zone in the entire game for that.

Is it that pumping station?

E: Is it just me or are all the intermediate rifle rounds still really weak against armored targets? I updated to the then most recent version of AO3 a couple days ago. I see there's a new one now, but it looks like it's mostly fixes rather than balance changes. At this point I'm pretty much resigning myself to only using 9x39 and 7.62x51, because 5.45 and 7.62x39 are useless.

I am playing on Stalker difficulty, which might have to do with it. I wanted a more chill (as far as stalker goes) game experience this time, since the last few times I played on Master. The .45 hydroshocks are at least as effective as 7.62 and 5.45 at this point, which seems wrong. I haven't built up enough 5.56 ammo to use it yet, although I just might give it a shot since the one time I used it when I ran out of 5.45 in the middle of a run between the bar and Yantar it worked pretty well.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 4, 2016

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
He's north of the pump station, pretty much in the NW corner of the swamps

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

big cock Salaryman posted:

has anyone tried doing the 1.4 story yet? it said something about starting with finding Doc but i haven't found him so i went ahead and disabled the brain scorcher and now i have a quest item about "a voice from the north," obviously the wish granter. feel like that'd just get me a bad ending tho

Never got a quest for him, went right to the miracle machine in yantar and then got nothing after.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Anyone ever get a trojan warning from Stalker-CoC.exe by windows defender? I downloaded the zip from moddb so I suspect it's a false positive.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Swamp Doctor starts off with his chillbros Clear Sky, then maybe wanders off to his shack after you talk to him at their not so hidden little base,
sw of the map, accessed by following a path from the "fishing village" through a cut fence, seems Scar had memory problems, and could never find the way.
Doc shows the years have been less kind to him, but he gives you information, and tells you to get lost and leave an old man in peace to smoke his bong.
Next place to go, as we now have some ideas and a rough mission* is North, to the next map, Agroprom, it seems a guy and his mates had a little stash there, it might have some info.
(Protip: go into the underground by the ladder in Agroprom, you can leave by the same one.) Explore.
When you find what you need to find, the list of tasks will update.

Remember my confusion over Kruglov's upgrades? Well, Forester (Red Forest, near entrance to Jupiter?) can do all of them, so no biggie.
Professor Sugars in Yantar is still jazzing around with bizarre headware, if you defend their base, he will give it to you for free. and ask you to turn that drat crazy machine off.

After you send the giant brain back to sleep, (Or before, I don't care, I'm not your mum), you can have a look around Agroprom's other set of underground mutant and anomaly fun palaces...

So from what I can see, wherever you start, you should go pay doc a visit, then Agro, then Yantar, then maybe back to Agro, then Red Forest. during this time, hassle Nimble for an exo before red forest.

*: what is the zone, what's going on, this is not my beautiful wife and so on.

staberind fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 5, 2016

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Jay-Zeus posted:

Anyone ever get a trojan warning from Stalker-CoC.exe by windows defender? I downloaded the zip from moddb so I suspect it's a false positive.

Yeah, I did. Annoying, and I'm not even sure why. What trickery is it using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I got that warning as well but Defender likes to throw out false positives like candy.