Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Even in OWR? Guns don't seem to go for much in OWR.

On the other hand, in OWR repair kits regenerate charges as soon as you put them in storage, so if you want you can cheese the poo poo out of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I dunno about OWR, I've been rolling with AO exclusively.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, yeah. Guns are worth very little in OWR, at least the AKs. At most half what they are in AO. Mutant parts, on the other hand, are worth 200 at minimum and even flesh eyes are 400. I just took a load of mutant parts along with four artifacts and sold them for 86,000 to Sakharov.

It's even harder making money on guns in OWR because 90% of bandits and military are using ak74s of some variety. In AO3 most people are using 4-5k guns, AK74s are less than 1k. I haven't tried selling an SVD, I should.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Repair kits do the same recharge in storage thing with ao.
hoard 2-3 of them, repair the best gunz you find, sell, rinse, repeat later.
I just realised,
the Swamp DR is Shrek.
Sakharov also gives you missions to get slightly higher teir mutant bits, so if you end up with lots, dump them on him and as well as extra cash, you can get stash locations sometimes.

staberind fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 13, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

At least the last few times in OWR I've done missions for him, I've gotten less money than straight selling them. Maybe it depends on the part, but controller or pseudogiant bits you lose ~500 compared to just straight selling them. I should still drop a backpack in front of him to store parts up for a rainy day, though.

It's probably a lot different in AO, AO seems to value mutant parts a lot less.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Elth posted:

Been having a lot of fun playing CoC with OWR. My only issue with it right now is that the Groza has a missing inventory image but that's pretty minor.

Doing a run as a mercenary now. It's kind of annoying going through Rostok though, or anywhere that has neutrals mixed in with hostiles. As soon as a firefight starts, swarms of loners will start wandering into the crossfire to ninja all the loot. I have to try really hard to avoid shooting them and grab as much loot myself while under fire.

Question, is the cheap psi-helmet sufficient to run from Dead City to Yantar? I can't afford the real one right now and all my mutant parts are in Dead City. I'd rather not have to take the giant detour through Wild Territory, Rostok and Army Warehouses again.

The only time good vs bad comes around on the psi helmets is when the counter starts. So unless you're in a heavy area where the shut down protection comes on, you're fine

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Has anyone used that tactical helmet that puts everyone within a certain radius on your radar? I've thought about using it, but the exoskeleton letting me take a burst to the back if someone sneaks up on me is so nice.

It comes in handy if you're gonna do some firefight in flat terrain with obstacles. But if you're doing house clearing it kinda sucks because the dot might be a few floors above you. Aside from that it's mostly useless because by the time it registers an enemy on your map you're well within his alert range and he's likely shooting at you anyways

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 14, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Did the conversion on US dollars to rubles earlier for various ingame items.

Kind of makes scrounging for change in Misery seem even more dire when you put in perspective the relative costs of poo poo. Killing dudes for a bottle of water valued at about 40 cents is pretty loving grim.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, yeah. Guns are worth very little in OWR, at least the AKs. At most half what they are in AO. Mutant parts, on the other hand, are worth 200 at minimum and even flesh eyes are 400. I just took a load of mutant parts along with four artifacts and sold them for 86,000 to Sakharov.

It's even harder making money on guns in OWR because 90% of bandits and military are using ak74s of some variety. In AO3 most people are using 4-5k guns, AK74s are less than 1k. I haven't tried selling an SVD, I should.

Yeah even in AO cheap stuff like AKs aren't really worth the effort of hauling back to merchants. I only started trying to make money on guns when I started getting lots of high end stuff from mercs and monolith whereas almost nothing bandits or military carry are worth selling. After gaining friendly status with loners (barkeep at Rostok is considered a loner unlike some other merchants such as Sidorovich) most high end guns bring in tens of thousands a piece. I once sold a vintorez for about 50,000 ru for example and even if OWR halves the value that's still a lot of rubles for stuff you're already picking up all the time.

Also, I don't think I've encountered the thing with repair kits recharging in storage, was that introduced in a more recent patch?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Insect Court posted:

Ok, on further research it seems like the real competitor to OGSE isn't Lost Alpha, it's Oblivion Lost. The consensus on LA is that it's broken beyond repair, but Oblivion Lost like OGSE 'enhances' gameplay systems and 'extends' the plot. What are the big differentiation points, and is one generally recommended. Lots of complaints on OGSE about the constant backtracking, poorly translated fetch quests, and bullet-sponge enemies.

As DDraig said, you want Oblivion Lost Remake, not Oblivion Lost: https://gist.github.com/v1ld/1b019056471abcec23c2efdd5d3ef6d8

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I haven't used this because I like a busier zone, but there's this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/doctorx-desolation.

Thanks! I'll try this when I get home. Should it be compatible with other addons? I have AO3 atm.

Do I need to start a new save if I install addons?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, guns on the high end are significantly less than 1/2. AN-94s are less than 1000. I haven't sold a perfect example, but when going from 90% to 100% costs 700ru, it's not worth it. A VAL is about 1100. The 74SUs are less than 500. I haven't fixed up an SVD yet to see what those go for.

It's weird, last night the repair kit wasn't regenerating at Sidorovich's. I didn't test at the one by the campfire. Maybe it's only some boxes.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
oh, they do it after a reload, like, chuck a bunch in, go do stuff, bring back your spoils, and they should have magically repaired
obv don't use them 3 x

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
So I've not played Stalker in a good few years, popped in this thread and saw people posting about Call of Chernobyl. Is this the stalker mod I've always wanted? :allears: Which addons are recommended currently? There's so many!

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
All it does is put every map on the CoP engine and provide groundwork for modders.

Most people tend to go for CoC and either arsenal overhaul or Original Weapons Remaster. When a version of Warfare is out that works with current build that'll probably be the third most downloaded mod.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Dotcom656 posted:

So I've not played Stalker in a good few years, popped in this thread and saw people posting about Call of Chernobyl. Is this the stalker mod I've always wanted? :allears: Which addons are recommended currently? There's so many!

If you like freeplay then you're gonna love it, if you don't then you'll probably be indifferent. I really like (love) STALKER but I think CoC needs a bit more structure before I will put it before any other mods I'll play.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its has a very basic storyline : be a dude, investigate labs, GET MOTHERFUCKING FORCE FRIED BY BURERS, LIKE WTF!? run missions for various other dudes. get weapons and upgrade them, kick hamsters alldayerryday, mainly fetch quests, shut down the miracle machine & brain scorcher. cheeki some breeki's if thats your bag, etc.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
yeah the quest in 1.4 is barebones but it's fine, it's basically "do everything from SoC, clear sky, and CoP." always carry grenades for burers, they can't deflect those.

i never found guns to be worth lugging around really. just take the higher-cal ammo in AO and sell that, it fetches a good price. also harvest mutants, even dog tails get like 400ru each if you're friends with ecologists. not long after starting a new game for 1.4.10 i got my full-auto hydroshock march, my 3rd-gen nightvision helmet, and my 5-container cs-2. all i need now is to actually find some loving artifacts. only one i've got right now is a lovely thorn that i have to keep removing all the time lest i get hit by a bullet and bleed my brains out.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I think if you want to be another dick in the zone CoC is the thing for you. I always find myself in really STALKER and STALKER only situations way more than any 3 games.

Simply surviving is a game in of itself. Keep making money to upgrade your stuff and feed yourself. Make a living in the zone any way you see fit.

There should be more things to spend your money on. Namely recreational drugs that give actually helpful boosts. We see it with both vodka and energy drinks. Cigarettes could pass the time, heroin induced health boost, LSD lets you talk to mutants.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 15, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have been enjoying the barebones story so far. It gives me objectives to work for. So I say "for this lab I want this equipment" and kill stuff or fetch stuff until I have what I need. I just finished the brain scorcher, now I'm getting a pistol from Nimble to finish the equipment that I want for probably the rest of the game. Then just for fun and supplies I'm going to hit the Dark Valley bandits and the Agroprom military, before I head off to either Pripyat or Jupiter. I intend to hit every enemy faction base at least once on this run, just because I enjoy the gunfights in this game so much.

Before the story I was going to a random place and loving around, or trying to find what weapon I liked best. That gets boring quick.

Anyone else using OWR: does it seem like 5.56 AP isn't any better than normal against armor? I need to double check the ammo stats to make sure they weren't made identical, but beyond that I hno idea how various stats balance out against each other.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 16, 2016

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Right now I'm still in my "get good gear" part of my merc run, because I still can't find any loving basic tools :argh:. I have two expert and one advanced set stashed away shouldn't those be better than basic why do you even want them aaaaaaa

Right now I'm sporting the almighty an-94 with a glock 17 sidearm (playing with OWR). The former has been my go-to main weapon until I get one of Nimble's assault rifles since forever. I don't think any other "cheap" rifle even comes close to it, it's just such a great beast of a gun despite the lacklustre ammo.

I've also been playing Misery with the Les Miserables tweaks on suggestion by another goon. It really helps alleviate the slow early game when your guns suck and you can't afford anything good until you grind missions/mutant parts. I still really enjoy Misery and I kinda wish some of it's features were ported over to CoC ( radiation being a credible threat, armour attachements, drugs and other consumables, the general atmosphere ).

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 392 days!
the most important quest in CoC is the one given by uncle Yar in Jupiter; you probably should prioritize making your way north if you can.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

the most important quest in CoC is the one given by uncle Yar in Jupiter; you probably should prioritize making your way north if you can.

Thanks for the advice, I haven't gone up there yet.

TBH I just cheat in the toolkits. gently caress making you find them as random drops. I will admit it's a lot better now with the patches, before 1.4.10 I hadn't found a single one. I'd probably give it a shot legit now.

I've never used the AN-94 in any of the games. What's the advantage over the AK-74?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks for the advice, I haven't gone up there yet.

TBH I just cheat in the toolkits. gently caress making you find them as random drops. I will admit it's a lot better now with the patches, before 1.4.10 I hadn't found a single one. I'd probably give it a shot legit now.

I've never used the AN-94 in any of the games. What's the advantage over the AK-74?

2 shot burst-fire!!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It also does that thing where the barrel moves back when it fires which looks cool. The AN-94 has been my go to through pretty much all the series until I start using one of the western ARs. Though with CoC+AO I've had quite a lot of love for the AK-12, especially after modifying it with all the fire rate and recoil negation mods I can which makes it blazing fast.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

Agree with this, this quest was a real gamechanger.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I guess I just never saw the point of the burst mode when I could just tap the mouse.

I looked at OWR ammo stats. The 5.56 AP is only slightly better in every way. .73 penetration vs .78. some similar difference between whatever the damage variable is called. I'm going to check the same thing for 9x39 and 5.45.

E: I'm going to drop my plan to hit Agroprom if it's that much of a difference.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

The thing about the an-94 is that the 2-shot burst is supposed to have both bullets leave the barrel before recoil kicks in, giving it enhanced penetration power due to both bullets hitting the same spot. A lot of mods gently caress with weapon properties though and it's not always the case.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

It's the case in vanilla for sure. It isn't in AO3 as far as I know. OWR I think.

It's a fugly gun though. 2 burst when it works is great. I believe it was created with headshots in mind, like if you had someone's head lined up in your sights this trigger squeeze would waste the dude 110% sure. Same with any rifle 7.62x39 in single fire. Although it may just be a myth.

It sounds somewhat logical to me because if you missed you'd just have to readjust to the recoil of a single shot to the center mass or the head if you wanted to try again. Not to mention in-game the doctine I just spelled out for both the Russian 7.62 assault rifle cartridge and the Abakan's burst fire mode works perfectly.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 16, 2016

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Yeah, the AN-94 is supposed to have a no recoil burst. This is entirely subjective, but I like the iron sights a lot better than the AK-74. I definitely prefer OWR's version as it seems much stronger. OWR has less weapon variants but that makes it easier to actually find the weapons random stalkers want, and the weapons in general seem more powerful.

I'm actually curious about AO3 - It seems kind of inconsistent with the damage. Maybe I wasn't paying attention to the mods I was installing, but after trying a clean install with AO3 and then again with OWR it seems like AO3's weapons are all horribly anemic with some of the worst misery styled "1 shot kills you 100 shots kill the enemy". Even with armor piercing rounds and a good rifle, AO3 seems just about impossible to kill enemies without dying at least a dozen or so times. I feel like I'm doing something wrong though - maybe rifles are weaker in AO3? I know there are some "adjusted damage settings" add ons for download related to AO3 but none of them seemed to help much.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Something is definitely weird about AO3 since 1.4 came out. I pretty much couldn't use 5.45 or 5.56. OWR is better, but sometimes it seems a bit weird too. It looks like shots that hit an arm when it's in front of the enemy's chest just do arm damage, they don't go through and hit the chest as well. Has it always been like that? It makes there be a huge variance in how many shots it takes to kill anything.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I've mostly been fighting bandits and haven't noticed any particular difficulties yet. Maybe it's an armor thing? I'll have to go pick some fights with Monolith to check - most bandits have terrible armor anyways so I might not have been noticing.

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 16, 2016

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also +1 for the an94 love, the akaban is usually my early go to, plentiful ammo, scope, grenade launcher.
So, I just visited our friendly local brain scorcher, I turned it off, p. smug that I remembered the route so well, watched the cutscene, "Oh, 29 pings on the minimap
Lets see what I have: ak12 fully upgraded, vepyr12, same, clear sky exo. 40 rounds in the mag, 130 or so, in the bag with 75 ap. maybe 30 or so buck, on the other hand I hear monolith guys being pissed off, and bloodsuckers doing their thing.
that was fun, just take it slowly and try to get as many headshots as possible. take a stash rucksack as well.
among the loot I carried out were 2 bulldog 6's(grenade firing revolver) and a rocket launcher. so, yah.

staberind fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 16, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Quicksilver6 posted:

I've mostly been fighting bandits and haven't noticed any particular difficulties yet. Maybe it's an armor thing? I'll have to go pick some fights with Monolith to check - most bandits have terrible armor anyways so I might not have been noticing.

I actually noticed it first with bandits. If I get a straight-on torso shot, they drop with 2 9x39 rounds. If I hit the arms with some, though, it takes about 6. When I was fighting Monolith it wasn't so much an issue because I was using an FN F2000 with the scope upgrade that gives enemies an outline, so I knew exactly when to stop shooting. I didn't even realize that was what was happening until I started shooting at closer range. That's when I saw that it was when shots hit the arms, which generally happens while they are aiming, that it was taking longer. I always aimed for the chest, but now aiming at the stomach seems more reliable. The F2000 with RoF upgrades is great, by the way. I've also got a lot of -recoil, and I end up being able to put 4-5 rounds on a target decently far away before I have to let it settle. Closer up I can dump half a magazine in less than a second, which will even take out an exoskeleton with body shots.

I had always gone methodically through the brain scorcher, killing the bloodsuckers. This time I just ran through it as quickly as possible, and I enjoyed seeing the bodies lying around when I got to where the bloodsuckers hung out.

E: Interesting. In OWR, the 5.45 has a bit less damage but also better armor penetration than the 5.56, so it's actually got some use aside from more plentiful ammo down south. Maybe I'll try the abakan. Actually, what's involved in making a weapon accept a scope again? Would the databases outside Gamedata still include the model for it if I set the variable to allow a scope back to 1 on the Groza?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 16, 2016

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

The thing that bothers me is how AP ammo seems to boost the penetration power a little and do nothing to muzzle velocity.

With an AP round I'd expect the bullet to be heavier/longer with a tungsten core and more grains of higher pressure powder behind it. Increasing muzzle velocity and penetration power by a factor of I-Don't-Know but it's probably way more than something like .53 to .57 penetration power. So basically AP rounds no matter what should be incredibly effective with everyone and their mother wearing layers upon layers of armor.

Everyone wears so much armor I'm actually surprised that dead bodies don't leave behind armor shards or something like that. I can see anyone in the zone taking an untouched kevlar plate out of someone's leg's armor pouch and stashing it away or just straight up attaching it to themselves... hell, with duct tape.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 16, 2016

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I installed the latest OGSE and dicked around a little with it because I haven't played it in a long time and I forgot how endearing all the poorly translated and weird writing is. One of the sawed-off shotguns has a description that's something along the lines of: "You wanted a hunting shotgun? Well here's your loving shotgun. You wanted it to have a full barrel and stock? gently caress you. Are you gonna be able to aim or hit anything with this? Hell no."

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That was written by Koma who is an English speaker. He is a former channer, though

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CoC 1.4 Uncle Yar quest: Do you ever get anything for going back and forth a ridiculous amount of times or something? What happens if I say I couldn't complete the job?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 392 days!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

CoC 1.4 Uncle Yar quest: Do you ever get anything for going back and forth a ridiculous amount of times or something? What happens if I say I couldn't complete the job?

If you say you can't complete it, Yar says they were just loving with you, and he honestly can't believe you put up with it so long :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's pretty funny. I'm going back to Rostok now, though, because Jupiter crashes so much for me. Jupiter and Cordon, half the time quicksaving makes me crash, and sometimes I'll just crash out of nowhere. None of the other zones I've been to have done that. Has anyone gotten something similar, using OWR and 1.4.10?