Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

The Dark Project posted:

I am giving Anomaly a try, and it's looking pretty good thus far! I chose a geiger counter at the beginning, but don't know how to use it, nor how to find out exactly what percentage of wear my items have, but I am sure I will be able to find a way to find out. I hope. Especially about the wear thing, that annoys me if I can't see the percentage or be told it by a repairer.

The geiger counter is an equippable and takes the same slot as your artefact detector. Drag it out and you'll get a rad count in the lower left of your screen. You'll want it equipped by default, and just equip the artefact detector when you're actually
looking for artefacts.

The whole weapon degradation and repair mechanic is honestly the single worst part of the mod. The game is just rammed with about 500 junk items that can be used for weapon repair, many of which do exactly the same thing (+1-3%, etc) and are only cosmetically different, but which can only be used in combination with other items, and the only way to know which is which at a glance is to just remember them all.

It's a shame because there are some really good parts to the mod - I like the added NPC models, I like the combat balancing. But that weapon repair mechanic just sucks the fun out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Misery, from which a lot of the weapon repair and junk items derive, added the item spam well before they made the junk items usable for repair.

I agree that it's quite tedious and unnecessary. I put aside my run of Misery 2.0 when I got to Beard and saw his inventory overflowing. Never picked it back up even though I'd already completed and thoroughly enjoyed Misery 1.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
there is nothing inherently wrong with feeding two birds with one scone : increase the amount that a crusty pair of socks and a glossy 4x5 of microwaves mom will repair an item, and also increase its rubble value, to make it a little more balanced, just have certain traders pay a little more for certain things, while others tell you to pizdec off with your smut and scabby clothing, "oh, but you have that ammo? yes yes yes, come right on in, "
look in misc/traders, and its sort of understandable, you can also adjust the level of brokeness traders will accept in items, alternatively, set all npc's to bartering, 30 rounds of 5.45 for a kolbasa? thats a bit steep, although its getting late and I might really need that sausage in the morning....

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
tbh if someone didnt like the weapon/gear repair system i wouldnt blame them for just spawning some good-condition gear. the system is p enjoyable to me now that i understand it, but its very obtuse and not rly fully finished (e.g., some weapons can be worn or rusty but not repairable at all, like some sniper rifles or LMGs)

the mod is super good at almost everything else tho. the item spam is irritating but at least they actually made all that trash usable and somewhat worthwhile, and its Misery’s fault it’s there at all, not Anomaly’s.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I don't mind it so much, but I am a complete Misery-head anyway. I am glad to see the bits and pieces be able to be used to make stuff. And allowing sets of tools to be used to make these items for yourself is just excellent. I have a bunch of gun-smithing kits I'll have to use to make ammo with. Waiting to get some better recipes. Requiring upgrades for outfits to have a specific item is a novel idea as well, and makes disassembling all those outfits worth my time and expense.

I started out as Clear Sky, but was annoyed by the fact that I couldn't get to Zaton because I didn't have the right maps. Tried to pay a guy to take me there and instead I got stiffed and left at Agroprom. Restarted as an Ecologist with no zone barriers at Jupiter, but after a while I felt like I wasn't getting the full experience. Not enough people were shooting at me. So I switched again to being a Loner, starting in the Cordon (Fanatic helps kick-start your journey with some nice quests and gear that you get from them) and I am enjoying myself a lot more. I think having 4 antagonistic factions against yourself is a good way to go.

Was given a task to go take a look around Meadow for a lost squad and man, they really nailed the atmosphere. Rocking up there in my leather jacked and only toting a rusty Toz-34 shotgun was an experience. I will have to go take another look when I am better equipped.

Overall I like this more than Dead Air. Dead Air had the drawback where even regular places like Wild Territory became a hassle to get to/through due to them ramping up the toxic atmosphere, not to mention the amount of higher level mutants in low level areas, and the much higher amounts of radiation. I like this version more, as it helps ease you into what will be a much harder set of areas as you progress down the track.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

The problem with all of the BS repair items is that you get tons of "good" repair items already, like tape and textiles, and you can only use one repair item per use of a repair kit, so all of the bullshit 1-4% items are just clutter to make it impossible to navigate in an inventory screen. Repair tools also have minimum requirements for fixing poo poo up, so it's not like you can go "oh I'm gonna use all this crap I've been lugging around to really get this AKM is working condition" 'cause it's pretty likely that the cost of a repair kit that'll work at 50-60% is going to be more than the value of the gun anyway.

Same with cooking your own food. Hauling around a heater and fuel to eat irradiated mutant bits just isn't all that cost effective, compared to just buying sausages or stealing Cliff bars off of some stiffs.

Even with all of those taxes in place, it's still pretty easy to break the economy, 'cause Stalker's progression is predicated on getting better poo poo with money until there isn't really much else to do with it. Still an enjoyable mod, though, and I might come back to it if they ever do a 2.0 or something.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I like the repair system as a mechanic. Though I never played Misery 2.x, I played a lot of Call of Misery. It was great to pick up a better version of some weapon, maybe with a scope mount already attached, and have to save up to where you could repair it and start using it. Gave you good goals, a sense of excitement when you found something, and a sense of achievement when you finally got a good weapon to where it was usable. It also gave you good money sinks and therefore more reasons to do quests and stuff.

But it's also needlessly complicated. You have to do the math to figure out when it's better to have the mechanic do it, and if not which repair kits are optimal to push it from say 10->90% or if some other way is better etc. And then you add in all the 1-5% stuff floating around and it's a big complex mess for the first 5 or 6 hours till you find a method that works for you.

I wasn't trying to Misery bash earlier. I tried it and moved on when it was at 2.0 and it's come a long way. I enjoyed its mechanics more when they were part of a free roam mod in Call of Misery, but the latter also had spawns set to levels that worked better for me.

Call of Misery is still a great mod and was the next big step after Call of Chernobyl itself. CoM hit a sweet spot of difficulty/tryhardness and a sense of achievement and progression.

I haven't spent time with Dead Air or Anomaly and both of those built heavily upon CoM so they may be better. The big name mod that came after CoM whose name I forget and which is also incorporated into Anomaly was a gigantic loving mess - I thought it just crammed in any old thing without any balance at all, the only real improvement it had over CoM at all was that it incorporated MLR albeit in a messy and unbalanced way.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 15, 2019

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
so when's stalker 2 coming out

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

noone knows and from what i gather theyre using unreal 4 as their engine, which i have mixed/negative feelings about

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'll take Unreal 4 if I never have to deal with X-ray's janky rear end again. Good riddance.

Credit to Anomaly, they give you plenty of difficulty/progression options so you can fit things to your liking, and they aren't precious about their level of tryhard.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, the fact that you can have items in multiple inventory spots and pull them out when you need to is refreshing compared to Misery. I like Misery for its immersion, but sometimes they just make it way too difficult for no good reason, other than some ideal of things being unnecessarily complicated = good.

Found an exo-suit, beaten to hell and 1% off from being unrepairable on the body of a dead soldier lost along with his squad. Used it to haul the gear I had found back to Rostok, and then worked about 8 local quests to be able to afford to repair it, but I now feel more ready to face places like the Radar and further on. Someone's going to have to switch off the Brain Scorcher, unless what they're saying in PDA messages about Strelok having already done it, in which case I'll likely just move on to Zaton and then Jupiter.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

you can get to zaton and such through the red forest without clearing out the brain scorcher

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So i was watching HBO's Chernobyl show the other day, which made me want to watch Stalker, which naturally made me want to play SoC again. I haven't played in what feels like a decade, is that Zone Reclamation Project mod in the op still considered the go to first playthrough mod, or have times changed since that was posted?

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

I can't remember what is the current most preferred mod for SoC, apart from avoiding the "Complete" mod because it isn't good, and Lost Alpha because it is buggy as hell.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Yes, ZRP is still what you want.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Last I played, Call of Chernobyl was the go-to mod but that's more of a free-play. If you want the Vanilla Chernobyl Experience you can't go wrong with ZRP.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've played Anomaly for about six hours now and I still don't have any idea how repairs work. I don't understand why they did this.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cool, thanks y'all

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

turn off the TV posted:

I've played Anomaly for about six hours now and I still don't have any idea how repairs work. I don't understand why they did this.

This was my entire problem with Anomaly, too, and ultimately why I ended up giving up before even making it to Garbage. Went straight from there back into Sigerous Mod.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Katsuma posted:

This was my entire problem with Anomaly, too, and ultimately why I ended up giving up before even making it to Garbage. Went straight from there back into Sigerous Mod.

SGM 1.7/2.2 are my favorite CoP mods.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Finally completed the main game in Sigerous Mod 1.7, and hoo boy the additions to freeplay shake things up. I have to say, despite how cancer it initially seems, having forty quadrillion zombies everywhere makes things seem fresh, with insane firefights kicking off all over the place. Other than a million zombies, what new content is there in freeplay? I hear there's a lot.

I have the Seraphim detector and Hermann wants me to find some mysterious artifacts which apparently only appear during an eclipse. My problem is that I have no idea what an eclipse is or where I should be looking. Any help?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Can’t help you there but my favorite thing about SGM are the alpha squads. In early game there’s like maybe 4 guys in kitted out late-game gear. Eventually they’ll start power creeping and you’ll see 12 of them around a campfire, with all sorts of ridiculously powerful firearms.

I remember luring packs of dogs onto them and picking off members one by one with a sniper rifle while chucking grenades to disperse them out of cover.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm trying out ANOMALY 1.5, and I just began a tutorial mission with "fanatic". At some point after killing a few boars we go searching for an anomaly. Quest updates, I speak to him, the dialog box flashes for a second and closes instantly. I receive a bunch of quest items and then he kills me. I've reloaded a bunch of times, tried holstering weapon etc. he kills me every time. :wtc:

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

the devs take bug reports through their discord if you want to report it to them. their discord link is in the moddb forums page for the mod

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Somebody should really do a new OP. It hasn't been updated since 2013 and is all ancient history from before call of chernobyl

buglord posted:

Can’t help you there but my favorite thing about SGM are the alpha squads. In early game there’s like maybe 4 guys in kitted out late-game gear. Eventually they’ll start power creeping and you’ll see 12 of them around a campfire, with all sorts of ridiculously powerful firearms.

I remember luring packs of dogs onto them and picking off members one by one with a sniper rifle while chucking grenades to disperse them out of cover.

I remember saving up for a ridiculous anti-materiel rifle so I could finally deal with the alpha squads before heading off from jupiter to pripyat, and it was a disaster because they all still took 2 shots to the face and it was too loving slow to cycle. then the game broke in the tunnels and I never made it out. still, one of the more memorable CoP mods, largely due to the alpha squads. They were kind of like a mini boss roaming each map, always showing up at the wrong time, and they really forced me to keep my eyes on the horizon and scout ahead with binoculars to make sure I gave them a wide berth

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

poverty goat posted:

Somebody should really do a new OP. It hasn't been updated since 2013 and is all ancient history from before call of chernobyl

Not a bad idea since there is renewed interest thanks to HBO's miniseries on Chernobyl!

Speaking of, just fired up SoC for the first time since it came out...was able to just bribe my way past the guards this time. Also finally got that one artifact in the Mill (between the guard post and the Trader's camp) I could never reach!

Truly, my pc-gaming skills have evolved! :woop:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

poverty goat posted:

I don’t think anyone will mind a new thread, the only thing is :effort: of compiling the newest mod packages and links

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, how is ANOMALY legal? it's completely standalone yet it uses assets from all 3 games. Do the ukranian devs just not care?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Temaukel posted:

So, how is ANOMALY legal? it's completely standalone yet it uses assets from all 3 games. Do the ukranian devs just not care?

I think it all started when gsc went out of business. Not long after, there was standalone Call of Chernobyl with cut content and custom binaries. My assumption was that the devs were the ones that liberated the source code in the first place and started the STALKER renaissance

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So after watching Chernobyl I got a hankering to play stalker again, and I feel like doing another playthrough of Call of Pripyat. I want to keep the gameplay relatively the same as vanilla, but I'd love to make it look as pretty as can be, with immersive as hell weather and sound and maybe overhaul the gun models too. There are quite a few mods I've seen that can do these things but I have no idea if any of them are good. Is there a consensus as to which mods would be best for that? Also is there a mod manager at all?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm replaying Shadow of Chernobyl with the Autumn Aurora 2 mod and no one told me there'd be Burers in Lab X-18 what the hell

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 12, 2019

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I would definitely love to see a new thread. The Chernobyl miniseries has made me want to revisit the first game and finally play the second two.

I remember playing the original without mods and it was such a tough experience. I know the ZRP is recommended from the few previous posts but does it work with the shaders that are linked in the first post? Or is that doubling up. I am always interested in crazy mods too! SGM sounds intriguing!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I would definitely love to see a new thread. The Chernobyl miniseries has made me want to revisit the first game and finally play the second two.

I remember playing the original without mods and it was such a tough experience. I know the ZRP is recommended from the few previous posts but does it work with the shaders that are linked in the first post? Or is that doubling up. I am always interested in crazy mods too! SGM sounds intriguing!

Yeah, Shaders MAX will work with ZRP. The Absolute Structures and Nature packs from http://absolute.crommcruac.com/shadow-of-chernobyl/ are a good idea too.

Autumn Aurora 2 is a good one-stop makeover mod for a second run of the game, it reworks graphics and assets and has ZRP built in. Heed its warning about not taking on too many tasks at the same time - take tasks right before you plan to do them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm hankering to play Stalker again. I've played all three games at least two or three times and I want to try a megamod. What are the pros and cons of Call of Chernobyl and Dead Air? Those seem to be the top two megamods from what I've read.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Node posted:

I'm hankering to play Stalker again. I've played all three games at least two or three times and I want to try a megamod. What are the pros and cons of Call of Chernobyl and Dead Air? Those seem to be the top two megamods from what I've read.

Throw in Anomaly too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm waiting for the 1.5 final of ANOMALY but between that and Dead Air, I definitely preferred what I played of the former. It's still fiddly in the way basically all modern STALKER megamods are, but not as fiddly.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there any way to spawn an item in AA 2.1? No bloodsuckers have any tentacles on them so far. I changed the spawn probability to 1.00 but I was already in the village so it'd probably only work on future bloodsuckers. I'd like to knock out those part quests for Sid and the Barkeep without waiting for the items to drop if I'm able

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Throw in Anomaly too.

It sounds like the upcoming v1.5 is what a lot of people are recommending to wait for.

I do have a question about Call of Chernobyl - I know it has barely any story, but does it have goals? Does it have an end of the game? Or do you just run around all the zones killing poo poo until you get bored?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Doc will give you a quest to turn off the Brain Scorcher. Starting in the Southern maps (Cordon or Swamps), finding him and then working your way North to the Generators is a good plan.

He walks from the hidden cave in the NE of Swamps to the camp in the SE, so finding him can be a bit hit or miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Metro: Exodus plays like a mash-up of Metro gameplay + Far Cry 2 esque exploration and utilization of little hubs for some of the more modern game features (like crafting, weapon maintenance, etc.). I wouldn't say it's the same as a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. experience but you know the history between 4A and GSC, there is some really similar thinking going on. I like that it can be natively played with a controller, something I have had a hell of a hard time getting to work well with Call of Pripyat or other proper S.T.A.L.K.E.R. titles. If anyone has help there I'd love it, I have programs to map keyboard stuff to gamepad but I just have not found an elegant way to do it for that game. Playing Metro: Exodus simultaneously checks a lot of the boxes for me, but also makes me think, man I wish we had a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP followup made this well.

I have not had a good time getting into Anomaly using the 1.5 beta. Thinking about dusting off good old CoP and trying some of the other mods that have come out since Misery was the big one.