Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Anyone played OGSE? Is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Node posted:

Anyone played OGSE? Is it any good?

Haven't played it in a year or two but it's a unique Stalker experience. It takes awhile to get going but I got pretty far into it with little technical issues.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Agreed posted:

Metro: Exodus plays like a mash-up of Metro gameplay + Far Cry 2 esque exploration and utilization of little hubs for some of the more modern game features (like crafting, weapon maintenance, etc.). I wouldn't say it's the same as a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. experience but you know the history between 4A and GSC, there is some really similar thinking going on. I like that it can be natively played with a controller, something I have had a hell of a hard time getting to work well with Call of Pripyat or other proper S.T.A.L.K.E.R. titles. If anyone has help there I'd love it, I have programs to map keyboard stuff to gamepad but I just have not found an elegant way to do it for that game. Playing Metro: Exodus simultaneously checks a lot of the boxes for me, but also makes me think, man I wish we had a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP followup made this well.

I have not had a good time getting into Anomaly using the 1.5 beta. Thinking about dusting off good old CoP and trying some of the other mods that have come out since Misery was the big one.

The openxray engine has had some commits made recently that adds controller support to the stalker games, but YMMV.

Far cry 2 had sneaky native controller support which was a nice surprise, I use the steam controller and simultaneous mouse and controller works well.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Well, Autumn Aurora decided it wants to crash no matter what save (manual ones or the quicksave) I load in Pripyat, so I guess that playthrough is done. What is a similar overhaul for CoP? I remember enjoying Swartz mod a long time ago and I'd like something like that. Adds stuff like new guns, possibly features, but still staying pretty close-ish to vanilla. Definitely not MISERY though.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Well, Autumn Aurora decided it wants to crash no matter what save (manual ones or the quicksave) I load in Pripyat, so I guess that playthrough is done. What is a similar overhaul for CoP? I remember enjoying Swartz mod a long time ago and I'd like something like that. Adds stuff like new guns, possibly features, but still staying pretty close-ish to vanilla. Definitely not MISERY though.

Anomaly is super dope and more or less all the settings can be tweaked. Can't recommend it enough.

There are some new systems and crafting stuff, but you aren't compelled to engage with them.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I can always recommend SGM 1.7 or Repack, if it's still available.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Meridian posted:

Anomaly is super dope and more or less all the settings can be tweaked. Can't recommend it enough.

There are some new systems and crafting stuff, but you aren't compelled to engage with them.

Monolith. posted:

I can always recommend SGM 1.7 or Repack, if it's still available.

I'll check these out, thanks! I remember hearing about SGM but never tried it

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

SGM 2.2 is good too but a little more difficult. If you want a real "unique" experience, try the Geonozis version.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I found an xpadder configuration that is really good for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. COP, and was able to modify it slightly to work better with Anomaly. Now that I can control it how I prefer I am really getting into this, it feels like it just brings it all together from Shadows of Chernobyl forward, with plenty of faction action to get up to a la Clear Sky and of course the features we're used to from CoP forward too. I was unimpressed at first with the engine changes but then it turned out I was really just not configuring it properly - set up, it looks more modern and it has enough features that are resource intensive to get my RTX 2070 working. Especially if I crank up the grass detail, shadows etc.

The new features are enjoyable and the crafting aspect is one I look forward to digging into deeper. If anyone wants that profile, let me know, I can paste the text for it (but I imagine my choice of playing with controllers on PC FPSes is not perhaps the most popular). This is a very good experience, glad I stuck with it for a bit.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Misery 1.1 is closest for CoP to what Autumn Aurora is for SoC - core story, new guns, light gameplay tweaks, enhanced and moody visuals, generally harder without being crazy. It's a great mod and the reason that Misery 2 was so highly anticipated.

But Misery 2 had little in common with Misery 1, they should've called it something else. But now it just prevents people from playing the earlier mod instead.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Here's a STALKER config I did for the Steam Controller. A lot of it will work with other controllers. The Steam Controller config tool is very very flexible.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/NonXd

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

v1ld posted:

Here's a STALKER config I did for the Steam Controller. A lot of it will work with other controllers. The Steam Controller config tool is very very flexible.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/NonXd

Thanks for this! Do you find yourself using lean left/right much?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Agreed posted:

I found an xpadder configuration that is really good for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. COP, and was able to modify it slightly to work better with Anomaly. Now that I can control it how I prefer I am really getting into this, it feels like it just brings it all together from Shadows of Chernobyl forward, with plenty of faction action to get up to a la Clear Sky and of course the features we're used to from CoP forward too. I was unimpressed at first with the engine changes but then it turned out I was really just not configuring it properly - set up, it looks more modern and it has enough features that are resource intensive to get my RTX 2070 working. Especially if I crank up the grass detail, shadows etc.

The new features are enjoyable and the crafting aspect is one I look forward to digging into deeper. If anyone wants that profile, let me know, I can paste the text for it (but I imagine my choice of playing with controllers on PC FPSes is not perhaps the most popular). This is a very good experience, glad I stuck with it for a bit.

Shure, post it. D'be nice to take a look!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Alright, it's for an Xbox 360 controller type. Here's the base that I worked off of, I found it in a Steam thread here.

code:
;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2012.12.31
Name=StalkerXBox
Set1StickDeadZones=77,69
Set1TriggerDeadZones=34,40
Set1DPadMode=FourWay
Set2StickDeadZones=77,69
Set2TriggerDeadZones=48,48
Set2DPadMode=FourWay
Set3StickDeadZones=78,60
Set3TriggerDeadZones=66,66
Set3DPadMode=FourWay
Set1Button1Name=Action
Set1Button1Slots=F
Set1Button2Name=Alt.F/Gren.
Set1Button2Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.40s,V,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,0,RELEASE ZONE 0.40s
Set1Button3Name=Reload/Disarm
Set1Button3Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.40s,6,PAUSE 1.00s,6,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,R,RELEASE ZONE 0.40s
Set1Button4Name=Jump
Set1Button4Slots=Space
Set1Button5Name=Run
Set1Button5Slots=X
Set1Button6Name=Aim
Set1Button6Slots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Button7Name=P.D.A./Pause
Set1Button7Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.50s,Escape,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,P,RELEASE ZONE 0.50s
Set1Button8Name=Inventory/Save
Set1Button8Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.50s,F6,F5,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,I,RELEASE ZONE 0.50s
Set1Button9Name=>
Set1Button9SetSelect=1
Set1Button10Name=NV/
Set1Button10Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.30s,L,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,N,RELEASE ZONE 0.30s
Set1DPadUpName=Grenade/MedKit
Set1DPadUpSlots=HOLD ZONE 0.50s,Left Square Bracket,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,4,RELEASE ZONE 0.50s
Set1DPadRightName=Weapon>
Set1DPadRightSlots=Mouse Wheel Down
Set1DPadRightTurbo=1
Set1DPadRightTurboRate=20
Set1DPadDownName=Bolt/Disarm
Set1DPadDownSlots=6
Set1DPadDownTurbo=1
Set1DPadDownTurboRate=20
Set1DPadLeftName=<Weapon
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Mouse Wheel Up
Set1DPadLeftTurbo=1
Set1DPadLeftTurboRate=20
Set1Stick1UpName=Move
Set1Stick1UpSlots=W
Set1Stick1RightName=Move
Set1Stick1RightSlots=D
Set1Stick1DownName=Move
Set1Stick1DownSlots=S
Set1Stick1LeftName=Move
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=A
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=56
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=110
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=56
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=110
Set1TriggerLeftName=Crouch/Lower
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Left Shift,DISTANCE ZONE 30%,Left Control,DISTANCE ZONE 75%,Left Control,Left Shift
Set1TriggerRightName=Shoot
Set1TriggerRightSlots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set1TriggerRightRumble=1
Set1TriggerRightRumbleStrengths=26,57
Set2Button1Name=Action
Set2Button1Slots=F
Set2Button2Name=Alt.F/Drop
Set2Button2Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.40s,G,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,0,RELEASE ZONE 0.40s
Set2Button3Name=Reload/Alt.R
Set2Button3Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.40s,Y,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,R,RELEASE ZONE 0.40s
Set2Button4Name=Jump
Set2Button4Slots=Space
Set2Button5Name=Run
Set2Button5Slots=X
Set2Button6Name=Aim
Set2Button6Slots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set2Button7Name=Anom.Detector
Set2Button7Slots=O,7
Set2Button8Name=Inventory
Set2Button8Slots=I
Set2Button9Name=<
Set2Button9SetSelect=0
Set2Button10Name=NV/
Set2Button10Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.30s,L,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,N,RELEASE ZONE 0.30s
Set2DPadUpName=COPTab
Set2DPadUpSlots=NumPad 1
Set2DPadRightName=COPTab
Set2DPadRightSlots=NumPad 2
Set2DPadDownName=COPTab
Set2DPadDownSlots=NumPad 3
Set2DPadLeftName=COPTab
Set2DPadLeftSlots=NumPad 4
Set2Stick1UpName=Move
Set2Stick1UpSlots=W
Set2Stick1RightName=Lean
Set2Stick1RightSlots=E
Set2Stick1DownName=Move
Set2Stick1DownSlots=S
Set2Stick1LeftName=Lean
Set2Stick1LeftSlots=Q
Set2Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set2Stick2UpMouseSpeed=56
Set2Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set2Stick2RightMouseSpeed=110
Set2Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set2Stick2DownMouseSpeed=56
Set2Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set2Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=110
Set2TriggerLeftName=Crouch/Lower
Set2TriggerLeftSlots=Left Shift,DISTANCE ZONE 30%,Left Control,DISTANCE ZONE 75%,Left Control,Left Shift
Set2TriggerRightName=Shoot
Set2TriggerRightSlots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set2TriggerRightRumble=1
Set2TriggerRightRumbleStrengths=27,57
Set3Stick2UpMouseSpeed=100
Set3Stick2RightMouseSpeed=100
Set3Stick2DownMouseSpeed=100
Set3Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=100
Set4TriggerLeftName=None
Set5TriggerLeftName=None
Set6TriggerLeftName=None
Set7TriggerLeftName=None
Set8TriggerLeftName=None 
It has a lot of what I needed already, but isn't really perfect for Anomaly. I don't know that the setup I made is *perfect* either, since I had to trade squad controls for access to the F1-F4 on the D-pad. But I have never used squad controls playing any S.T.A.L.K.E.R. title, so for me no great loss; you can copy them from the other setup and figure out some other way to get the quick slots if you want though.

Here's the modified one I messed around with:

code:
;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2019.05.01
Name=S.T.A.L.K.E.R Anomaly
Set1StickDeadZones=77,69
Set1TriggerDeadZones=34,40
Set1DPadMode=FourWay
Set2StickDeadZones=77,69
Set2TriggerDeadZones=48,48
Set2DPadMode=FourWay
Set3StickDeadZones=78,60
Set3TriggerDeadZones=66,66
Set3DPadMode=FourWay
Set1Button1Name=Jump
Set1Button1Slots=Space
Set1Button2Name=Alt.F/Gren.
Set1Button2Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.40s,V,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,9,RELEASE ZONE 0.40s
Set1Button3Name=Reload/AmmoType
Set1Button3Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.40s,Y,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,R,RELEASE ZONE 0.40s
Set1Button4Name=Action
Set1Button4Slots=F
Set1Button5Name=Modifier
Set1Button5SetSelect=1
Set1Button6Name=Aim
Set1Button6Slots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Button7Name=P.D.A./Pause
Set1Button7Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.50s,Escape,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,P,RELEASE ZONE 0.50s
Set1Button8Name=Inventory/Save
Set1Button8Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.50s,F6,F5,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,I,RELEASE ZONE 0.50s
Set1Button9Slots=X
Set1Button10Name=NV/
Set1Button10Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.30s,L,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,N,RELEASE ZONE 0.30s
Set1DPadUpName=Grenade/Geiger
Set1DPadUpSlots=HOLD ZONE 0.60s,8,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,4,RELEASE ZONE 0.50s
Set1DPadRightName=Weapon>
Set1DPadRightSlots=3
Set1DPadRightTurbo=1
Set1DPadRightTurboRate=20
Set1DPadDownName=Bolt
Set1DPadDownSlots=6
Set1DPadDownTurbo=1
Set1DPadDownTurboRate=20
Set1DPadLeftName=<Weapon
Set1DPadLeftSlots=2
Set1DPadLeftTurbo=1
Set1DPadLeftTurboRate=20
Set1Stick1UpName=Move
Set1Stick1UpSlots=W
Set1Stick1RightName=Move
Set1Stick1RightSlots=D
Set1Stick1DownName=Move
Set1Stick1DownSlots=S
Set1Stick1LeftName=Move
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=A
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=56
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=110
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=56
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=110
Set1TriggerLeftName=Crouch/Lower
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Left Shift,DISTANCE ZONE 30%,Left Control,DISTANCE ZONE 75%,Left Control,Left Shift
Set1TriggerRightName=Shoot
Set1TriggerRightSlots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set1TriggerRightRumble=1
Set1TriggerRightRumbleStrengths=26,57
Set2Button1Name=Jump
Set2Button1Slots=Space
Set2Button2Name=Alt.F/Drop
Set2Button2Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.40s,G,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,0,RELEASE ZONE 0.40s
Set2Button3Name=Reload/Alt.R
Set2Button3Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.40s,Y,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,R,RELEASE ZONE 0.40s
Set2Button4Name=Knife
Set2Button4Slots=1
Set2Button5Name=Modifier
Set2Button5SetSelect=0
Set2Button6Name=Aim
Set2Button6Slots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set2Button7Name=Anom.Detector
Set2Button7Slots=O,7
Set2Button8Name=Inventory
Set2Button8Slots=I
Set2Button9Name=<
Set2Button10Name=NV/
Set2Button10Slots=HOLD ZONE 0.30s,L,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,N,RELEASE ZONE 0.30s
Set2DPadUpSlots=F1
Set2DPadRightSlots=F2
Set2DPadDownSlots=F3
Set2DPadLeftSlots=F4
Set2Stick1UpName=Move
Set2Stick1UpSlots=W
Set2Stick1RightName=Lean
Set2Stick1RightSlots=E
Set2Stick1DownName=Move
Set2Stick1DownSlots=S
Set2Stick1LeftName=Lean
Set2Stick1LeftSlots=Q
Set2Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set2Stick2UpMouseSpeed=56
Set2Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set2Stick2RightMouseSpeed=110
Set2Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set2Stick2DownMouseSpeed=56
Set2Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set2Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=110
Set2TriggerLeftName=Crouch/Lower
Set2TriggerLeftSlots=Left Shift,DISTANCE ZONE 30%,Left Control,DISTANCE ZONE 75%,Left Control,Left Shift
Set2TriggerRightName=Shoot
Set2TriggerRightSlots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set2TriggerRightRumble=1
Set2TriggerRightRumbleStrengths=27,57
Set3Stick2UpMouseSpeed=100
Set3Stick2RightMouseSpeed=100
Set3Stick2DownMouseSpeed=100
Set3Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=100
Set4TriggerLeftName=None
Set5TriggerLeftName=None
Set6TriggerLeftName=None
Set7TriggerLeftName=None
Set8TriggerLeftName=None 

All the buttons should be labeled with their functions, but here's the rough gist of it:

FPS style controls on the sticks. Left stick has sprint when pressed like a modern FPS. Right stick when pressed activates Night Vision if you have it, when held activates your flashlight if you have it. Tested and working.

D-pad up to select grenade if you have one, hold for geiger counter if you have one. I haven't been able to test those as I have neither, so far. D-pad left and right for weapon slots. D-pad down for bolts. Couldn't get complex behavior working well on my d-pad, maybe y'all will have better luck. Switched Knife to Modifier + Y.

Left shoulder button is a modifier button, hold it to turn the left stick left/right to leaning left/right, the D-pad into F1-F4, and to turn Select into the button for your Anomaly Detector. Also makes B, when held, drop your weapon. There's room for additional functions on the modified set, btw, so if you do find yourself needing more buttons, could fit more modifier activated ones pretty easily.

A button to jump
Y button to interact / Modifier + Y to pull/put away Knife
Tap X to reload, hold X to switch ammo type
Tap B for Change Fire Mode (semiauto, auto, etc.), hold B for under-barrel grenade launcher if you have one. Have not tested, haven't found one. Should work though.

Tap Select to open PDA, hold Select to open options menu
Tap Start to open inventory, hold Start to quicksave

Right trigger shoots / mouseclick. Right shoulder button aims. I recommend using Toggled mode in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly options for best results, unless you play w/ the two-finger claw.
Left trigger crouches (toggle) when pulled momentarily, and ducks low (only while held) when fully pulled. You will need to toggle out of the regular crouch after holding low crouch.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 14, 2019

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Node posted:

It sounds like the upcoming v1.5 is what a lot of people are recommending to wait for.

anyone waiting for 1.5 final should honestly just try it now. it works quite well, ive encountered no repeating crashes or gamebreaking poo poo, and its a big update over 1.4

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

sea of losers posted:

anyone waiting for 1.5 final should honestly just try it now. it works quite well, ive encountered no repeating crashes or gamebreaking poo poo, and its a big update over 1.4

Seconded. Is good.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

klen dool posted:

Thanks for this! Do you find yourself using lean left/right much?

A bit, but I did that config close to when I stopped playing the game.

I recently played 6 months of Warframe on Switch with motion control and it's now baseline for controller aiming as far as I'm concerned. I did that config before this experience.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

v1ld posted:

A bit, but I did that config close to when I stopped playing the game.

I recently played 6 months of Warframe on Switch with motion control and it's now baseline for controller aiming as far as I'm concerned. I did that config before this experience.

Totally, and you guessed why I was asking - I'd defo use gyro for aiming rather than lean

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i like how pistols are completely worth using in ANOMALY. i'm rocking a browning high powered and it takes down most enemies while using AP bullets.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
As far as performance goes, what settings affect it the most in Anomaly? My bougie self is trying to maintain +100FPS on 1440p. I remember there were some settings that tanked FPS for little/no visual quality hit. So far I noticed that grass density and render hits pretty hard.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

buglord posted:

As far as performance goes, what settings affect it the most in Anomaly? My bougie self is trying to maintain +100FPS on 1440p. I remember there were some settings that tanked FPS for little/no visual quality hit. So far I noticed that grass density and render hits pretty hard.

Yeah those were the two I was going to mention off the top of my head. Feel like there's a sweet spot there. Also I think a certain type of aliasing is really hungry.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I turned up stalker spawns to 1.0 in anomaly but it seems like its gonna take some time to get everything populated. right now im sort of let down with how sparse everything is. Lost Alpha felt much more alive than this. Are you guys playing on story mode or warfare mode? I wonder if the latter is finally feature complete.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

buglord posted:

I think sun rays was one I always turned to low in vanilla, maybe that still works on Anomaly

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

buglord posted:

I turned up stalker spawns to 1.0 in anomaly but it seems like its gonna take some time to get everything populated. right now im sort of let down with how sparse everything is. Lost Alpha felt much more alive than this. Are you guys playing on story mode or warfare mode? I wonder if the latter is finally feature complete.

Did the same and was thinking the same. Playing story. Try kicking it to 1.25 and report?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Those respawn timers can be pretty long in some mods. If you're not too deep in, set the spawn value and then create a new game.

I like Call of Misery's default spawn settings a lot. Desolate exploration intermixed with deadly firefights. The damage model was well done to where I stayed alert while exploring.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Stalker Anomaly 1.5 beta impressions that nobody asked for:

I really like and dislike it. I didn't really know this was a misery-like going into it. I played Misery 1 multiple times, but I dropped out of Misery 2 because of all the item bloat. This is somehow worse. I have to break down armor into cloth using destructive tools that have limited use to combine into a 3 item recipe which degrades the toolkit being used to make it. I get that this fits well into the stalker universe since scrap is king in the Zone. Gameplay wise, it would be cool if they did away with these zillion pieces and allowed you to break down things into generic armor scrap or weapon scrap. 30 armor scrap allows you to build an armor support frame or something. Collecting tools for mechanics is worse now because you need to collect like, 7 of one tier to give to one mechanic in order to unlock basic upgrades, but those also require you to hand make trinkets in addition to paying the fee. There's an annoying amount of extra steps added to everything, and I cant help but feel one of the devs was definitely on the spectrum.

The saving grace: most of this can be ignorable through in-game settings or submods:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons/itemless-upgrades removes the item requirements for upgrades
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons/no-upgrade-tools-for-technicians-anomaly-15 removes all tool requirements
The latter might be cheaty, but come on, 7 basic tools?

The other problem I had was a barren world. But following v1ld's advice, I set stalker spawn value to max (1.0) in the in-game settings and started a new game. It feels just right. Default values make the hubs feel dead and useless. Another big positive is being able to mitigate battery drain with the in-game settings and turn on fast travel. My biggest complaint with the stalker megamods that merge all 3 games is that getting around takes forever. Fast travel means I can actually be playing the game and not hold W for minutes on end as i sprint across maps I've been on dozens of times. Fantastic choice to put that setting in-game.

Oh yeah, and damage values - they're good. Cloth bandits drop with a pistol headshot, fully armored guys take a bit more so they still remain dangerous. mutants have the largest health pools but this is the only mod where mutants aren't bullet sponges. Controllers can be dispatched with a few well placed rifle headshots, ditto with the magic dwarf guys that use force fields. No more lobbing multiple grenades and going through entire magazines of ammo.

tl;dr: stupid design decisions making things hard/tedious for no reason, but almost all of it can be tweaked/removed in-game or with submods. excellent damage values - something that few stalker mods get right imo. fast travel option is a godsend and I wont be able to play a stalker megamod without that again.

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 17, 2019

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for the trip report. I probably won't get back to STALKER until next year, but drop by to check out the #dev-blog channel in the Anomaly discord every few months. Just did that after a while and here's a cool update from Jun 29th from Tronex, who's a cool dude. I like 1&4 especially since they're new mechanics very much in the vein of the gameplay additions in AMK: add to the dynamic nature of the zone by adding to the simulation so the gameplay gets more random and interesting in organic ways. For eg, it's cool that #4 now lets you trade for a particularly good artifact that some loner picked up before you got to it after a blowout. No need to kill friendly stalkers.

quote:

[10:47 AM] Tronex: Today's showcase is about the Alife:
1. Dynamic world items
no matter where you go in the Zone, you can find stuff if you dig around. ammo, misc, food and drink, medical items and kits. Some abounded places have plenty of stuff, you might be lucky enough to find rare kits if you search deep enough.
The system is dynamic, every playthrough will have different set.
Plus, the items are on an active cycle. Stalkers leave items behind all the time, you might find stuff in places you visited days before.

[10:52 AM] Tronex: 2. Dynamic Anomalies
The old dynamic anomalies system is replaced with a new one to fix all the bugs surrounding it.
Anomalies won't appear in places where they completely block the way in or out anymore.
The types of dynamic anomalies is based on the nature of the place they appear at. And as like before, emissions will be the major factor in changing anomalies all around

[10:56 AM] Tronex: 3. Rare stashes
There are some hidden places in abounded levels and areas that have better stashes. Marked in purple as you see in the pic
There is a high potential to get a lot of goodies inside this type of stashes

[11:00 AM] Tronex: 4. Stalkers can trade for items and upgrade their weapons
Just like the player. Stalkers can sell stuff they loot. buy what they need from traders, and visit mechanics to upgrade their favorite gun. They will announce their activities in dynamic news

[11:01 AM] Tronex: That's it for now, sorry about the screenshots quality :feels_bad:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

buglord posted:

Stalker Anomaly 1.5 beta impressions that nobody asked for:

The saving grace: most of this can be ignorable through in-game settings or submods:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons/itemless-upgrades removes the item requirements for upgrades
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons/no-upgrade-tools-for-technicians-anomaly-15 removes all tool requirements
The latter might be cheaty, but come on, 7 basic tools?
tl;dr: stupid design decisions making things hard/tedious for no reason, but almost all of it can be tweaked/removed in-game or with submods. excellent damage values - something that few stalker mods get right imo. fast travel option is a godsend and I wont be able to play a stalker megamod without that again.

I love you for these links. Anomaly 1.5 is awesome in terms of providing a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. experience that is so big and has so much to do - it reminds me somewhat of SGM in that regard though of course SGM is tremendously different in every one of the details. I will be restarting with a higher spawn rate and these very, very, very greatly appreciated mods because I've been playing this save long enough to do a bunch of faction work, bunch of jobs and anomaly hunting, but it's nowhere near as populace as I expected and I want a more active zone, and I haven't found the first basic toolkit yet.

This mod is a pretty dope case of something being so close to perfect, but with a flawed vision for what perfection means hampering things for a lot of people. I am sure some folks are all about the frustration and months-long process of collection and grind, but jesus christ I have gone to the zone, as it were, many a time now and the little frustrations do not need to be in my way like this. Especially not with so much to do, places to go, and plenty of great S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fun to be had otherwise.

Edit: Repeatedly, I can't open the No Upgrade Tools.rar as an archive. I've tried downloading it from multiple mirrors and the same problem persists. Were you able to actually get this to open? How so? 7Zip is confused.

Edit2: I went to https://www.extract.me and their online extractor opened it without issues, ... 7zip why u no open

Edit 3: Please help, anyone familiar with Anomaly - how the hell do I fast travel? I have enabled it in the options menu but clicking on locations in my PDA doesn't do poo poo, and I can't figure out how to actually use this feature. I imagine it's going to be something really easy and normal because I also can't find poo poo googling, but I find people talking about using the system, so it didn't elude their brains. But I spent too much time near the brain scorcher. Please help.

e4: wooo thank you!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 17, 2019

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Right click on the little transparent house icons on the PDA map. Helps if you remove the “Zones” from the map filter. The icons don’t always like up correctly so you’ll have to right click a bit until the option shows up.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Bugs:

Wild Territory and Red Forest seem pretty crash prone. Some internet searching says these might be missing textures or glitched mutants. Everything else in game seems more or less stable. CTD doesn't give any errors or popups, and I don't know how to read logs so i'm not sure what exactly is causing it.

Sometimes you'll have to talk to an NPC who cannot be talked to in order to progress through a quest. After trying to get around this for a while, I figured out that you can kill them and talk to the next person who is reassigned as the quest objective. Obviously this will piss people off. You can minimize these hits by killing them in more diplomatically viable ways. Knife kills hurt your relationship the most, followed by gun kills somewhere in the middle, then by purchasable IEDs. Plant that sucker in the NPC's area and rejoice as you only lose 500 relationship points as opposed to over 2000. Internet says you can be as low as -600 before a faction goes completely hostile on you.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

buglord posted:

Sometimes you'll have to talk to an NPC who cannot be talked to in order to progress through a quest.

That's almost certainly because you're trying to talk to squad members and CoP-derivatives only let you talk to the commander of a squad. alundaio fixed this in the CoC-1.5 branch, but most mods didn't pick up the fix since that never got released.

You should be able to use the fix for this in CoM Tweaks 1.9, grab only the scripts\xr_meet.script file and stick it in gamedata\scripts.

If an xr_meet.script file already exists in gamedata\scripts then make a backup or send me a copy and I can verify the fix still works.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
e: nm

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

buglord posted:

, ditto with the magic dwarf guys that use force fields.

Whole post was worth it for this one phrase.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
:mad:

anyone have any cool Anomaly tips or QoL things they'd like to share? I, for one, realized that there's no real downside to taking as many quests as possible because "shoot a bandit over there" still pays out handsomely when you're across the map and a blind dog does it for you instead.

e: photo dump. this game is really pretty at times:

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 18, 2019

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Anomaly chat: Is there a console command for auto-completing a quest or spawning a certain item? One of my story quests as a merc was to get 4x Colt 1911 (alternate)s and that might as well be impossible for the number of Colt 1911 (alternate)s I'm gonna see in my entire life. I guess I could blow up the quest giver with an IED or something.

Speaking of mercs, for this playthrough I decided to do a HUNK gimmick. USP, Desert Eagle, MP5, and Mossberg 590 (I don't think there's a Remington in Anomaly so that's the next closest thing). Currently looking for a decent Merc suit and helmet+mask combo. Either non-loners get fuckall for purchasing choices or there's something I need to do to get trader stock to progress.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Oddity at Dead City. I went there was a loner and killed all the mercenaries there, and then suddenly I get a message saying "Clear Sky has declared war on Free Stalkers". Additionally, my 3000 rep with loners has dropped down to 0. Looks like it happened to someone on reddit a while back too:
https://www.reddit.com/r/stalker/comments/9tw63e/anomaly_mod_clear_sky_has_declared_war_with_loner/

I think this is the straw that broke the camel's back. If anyone is looking for a stableish Stalker experience, this mod isnt it.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 19, 2019

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

buglord posted:

Oddity at Dead City. I went there was a loner and killed all the mercenaries there, and then suddenly I get a message saying "Clear Sky has declared war on Free Stalkers". Additionally, my 3000 rep with loners has dropped down to 0. Looks like it happened to someone on reddit a while back too:
https://www.reddit.com/r/stalker/comments/9tw63e/anomaly_mod_clear_sky_has_declared_war_with_loner/

I think this is the straw that broke the camel's back. If anyone is looking for a stableish Stalker experience, this mod isnt it.

this is the dynamic faction relations setting working as intended, you probably shouldn't enable it for anything besides warfare mode

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Yeah not so much a stability problem as an issue of having a shitload of options and it not always being totally clear why things are happening if you don't grasp what the different modes do. Flexibility bonus! I turned Dynamic Faction off because I don't want some a-life interactions and enough firefights making my CS faction poo poo with others.

I do notice a pretty common thing of taking quests and auto failing them if the person the quest pointed to is already dead. Sometimes that costs me reputation with characters, but thankfully it has never caused them to shoot me and I am so far able to come out way ahead just by asking around for work to do with that faction. And sometimes as others have mentioned too it works in your favor, taking an assassination mission and the poor mark ends up offing themselves in an anomaly or gets eaten by a snork or whatever, money in your bank

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Appoda posted:

Anomaly chat: Is there a console command for auto-completing a quest or spawning a certain item? One of my story quests as a merc was to get 4x Colt 1911 (alternate)s and that might as well be impossible for the number of Colt 1911 (alternate)s I'm gonna see in my entire life. I guess I could blow up the quest giver with an IED or something.

Speaking of mercs, for this playthrough I decided to do a HUNK gimmick. USP, Desert Eagle, MP5, and Mossberg 590 (I don't think there's a Remington in Anomaly so that's the next closest thing). Currently looking for a decent Merc suit and helmet+mask combo. Either non-loners get fuckall for purchasing choices or there's something I need to do to get trader stock to progress.

For the quest, I think you can chat to the quest giver and say I couldn't do the job for a tiny penalty. The MP5 is legit the best starting weapon in the game ( get a scope!) and will get you to most places easily, due to the very low TTK in Anomaly. Together with your own 1911, it's an effective lightweight setup. If weight is an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The way Anomaly opens up more as you do more missions for different factions is awesome. I love the progression in this mod. This is the best time I have ever had in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., comparable for me to when Swartz was doing his stuff and Alundio was first improving the AI and all that back in the early 2010s. But even better since it's so relatively feature complete and there's so much to do.

I couldn't find a non-worn shotgun better than the over-under and double barrel TOZ variety for the longest, but those are actually pretty usable if you're careful when you play. Mutants seem so strong at first but as you learn their movement patterns it becomes possible to engage even pretty large numbers with relative safety... as long as you don't gently caress up, and that's fun gameplay IMO. When I finally did enough work for some trader to stock a Mossberg pump, felt like such a great upgrade moment. I was overloaded with rifles though, hunting monolith and military gets you pretty good ones.

Really glad I stuck with this mod after initially not digging it. Way, way better - to me, I mean, I know there are many strong fans - than Misery was, in terms of hooking me and keeping me hooked.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 23, 2019