Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
How is Lost Alpha btw? I'm a latecomer to stalker so I decided to wait for them to iron out any possible bugs first, has that been accomplished?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Most of the major bugs have been fixed for Lost Alpha, I believe. The plot can be terrible at times, though.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Deceitful Penguin posted:

How is Lost Alpha btw? I'm a latecomer to stalker so I decided to wait for them to iron out any possible bugs first, has that been accomplished?

Boooooooooooring!!! Imagine all the fun firefights and scary exploration in salker shoc. Take all of the fun out of the firefights, make the maps twice as big with half of actual loot, and put i a story that consists of nothing but backtracning. You're gonna be traversing alot of empty spaces, in a game where one of the major downsides is all the drat loving walking!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I have to admit I haven't been particularly inspired by Lost Alpha. I quit around the time I got to Yantar.

The maps are amazing and the level of detail is incredible it's just rather... dead.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Measly Twerp posted:

I'm wandering around TFW with a fully upgraded sniper rifle and an exo suit. And it feels good. But yeah, none of the other guns are really notable, shotguns seem to lack the punch to clear rooms let alone clear out mutants.

Instead I've just been shooting the sniper rifle from the hip and taking cover, one shot kills pretty much anyone.

I wish TFW was ported to Lost Alpha, more maps more bases!

What the hell are you talking about, shotguns own in TFW. The super shorty with a side of nugget is all I need to stunt\

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You get what you pay for I guess.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Measly Twerp posted:

I'm wandering around TFW with a fully upgraded sniper rifle and an exo suit. And it feels good. But yeah, none of the other guns are really notable, shotguns seem to lack the punch to clear rooms let alone clear out mutants.

Instead I've just been shooting the sniper rifle from the hip and taking cover, one shot kills pretty much anyone.

I wish TFW was ported to Lost Alpha, more maps more bases!

yeah, it would be awesome, a similar mechanic to FW, in something like SGM, FW seems to reward a diametrically opposite play-style that much of stalker requires, or at least rewards.
Whatever mod accomplishes that, includes all the recent and older modded maps, runs on cop engine, has this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1sgaJxIvA4 and lots of idiot weapons to buy and roll around in for no real purpose, plus, involves crab and his magical displacement in time and space as part of the mq. will be the mod that all other mods will be judged by, the high watermark.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Ddraig posted:

Misery specifically mentions that it's going for realism. This is one of the main features listed in pretty much every single press release they've ever done.

So the question is: What reality? If it's the reality where the Zone does all kind of freaky poo poo that will explain inconsistencies, then why try to ground it in our external reality. If it's trying to make an accurate realistic comparison with the real world, then they've certainly done very little to actually research it.

e: I could give them the benefit of the doubt and suggest they're maybe going for magic realism, but given the type of explanations the developers have given for the decisions in the past I doubt they'd have a good grasp of what that is exactly.

So, out of curiosity, is there any way to make the game un-hosed? Any fan patches?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lamprey Cannon posted:

So, out of curiosity, is there any way to make the game un-hosed? Any fan patches?

Try Misery 2.1.1 with Les Miserables installed on top. That link does a good job outlining what is changed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Try Misery 2.1.1 with Les Miserables installed on top. That link does a good job outlining what is changed.

I had no idea this mod existed, this could be exactly what I've been looking for. I'll try it out when I have time and comment if it makes the mod worth playing.

Installing a mod for a mod is getting pretty weird though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I had no idea this mod existed, this could be exactly what I've been looking for. I'll try it out when I have time and comment if it makes the mod worth playing.

Installing a mod for a mod is getting pretty weird though.

Yeah there are a few for Misery, but that one seems like it may be the most comprehensive.

And yeah, it's like in the Fallout modding community where you'll have a popular mod such as, say, Project Nevada, with a mod/add-on for Project Nevada that is made by somebody outside of the Project Nevada team, and then a language patch or tweak for that mod/add-on that isn't even made by the person who made the original mod/add-on for the mod for the game. Layers within layers.

I don't think we've gotten to the mod-equivalent of Inception's "Limbo" though. Not yet.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm interested in playing these for the first time. How needy is it on clockspeed? I'm running an i5 4670k @ 3.40 ghz, turbos up to 3.8. Should I think about picking up a new cooler to overclock this bad boy with to get good performance, or should I be fine at stock clocks? Running a GTX 760 if that matters, though it sounds like CPU is the real factor here.

Also, when it says RAM hungry in the OP, I should be good with 8gb? I've never had a game actually use that much, is this the one that would push it?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dramatika posted:

I'm interested in playing these for the first time. How needy is it on clockspeed? I'm running an i5 4670k @ 3.40 ghz, turbos up to 3.8. Should I think about picking up a new cooler to overclock this bad boy with to get good performance, or should I be fine at stock clocks? Running a GTX 760 if that matters, though it sounds like CPU is the real factor here.

Also, when it says RAM hungry in the OP, I should be good with 8gb? I've never had a game actually use that much, is this the one that would push it?

You'll probably be able to run them with all graphics maxed no problem. Some mods can make the games much more processor hungry but that system should still handle pretty much any mod you throw at it. 8 GB of RAM is plenty.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Playing through Limansk is an exercise in masochism.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

Dramatika posted:

My PC is very similar to yours - apart from Lost Alpha, you should be able to max out the graphics in pretty much any mod and get 50+ fps. If you want to play Lost Alpha, there's a good guide to setting up the graphics options here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo0TCvB8Ipg

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Vorenus posted:

Playing through Limansk is an exercise in masochism.

Clear out the MG nest and grab the MGL and the 40 grenades stashed in a crate.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
This looks comedy awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xVT8dcL9DU

You will want to turn the sound off to avoid a very punchable voice though.

staberind fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 3, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Ddraig how's your TFW version coming along?

I tried to install TFW from the moddb link, cleared out the gamedata folder, installed the new one and replaced the xrgame.dll. On launch I'm getting a bug where it can't find XrLUA.dll, which doesn't even come with CS. I've tried fully clearing out my CS folder and reinstalling, the issue seems to be the FW xrGame.dll causing the game to look for XrLUA.dll.

quote:

xrengine.exe caused BREAKPOINT in module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\STALKER Clear Sky\bin\xrCore.dll" at 0023:1001B944, xrDebug::backend()+164 byte(s)

Any ideas?

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 3, 2014

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Vorenus posted:

Ddraig how's your TFW version coming along?

I tried to install TFW from the moddb link, cleared out the gamedata folder, installed the new one and replaced the xrgame.dll. On launch I'm getting a bug where it can't find XrLUA.dll, which doesn't even come with CS. I've tried fully clearing out my CS folder and reinstalling, the issue seems to be the FW xrGame.dll causing the game to look for XrLUA.dll.

Any ideas?

When you cleaned out your directory, did you delete your save games and log directories?
I had an error that gave me an error almost identical to that, and nothing worked until I did that. First time I've ever experienced it either.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Swartz posted:

When you cleaned out your directory, did you delete your save games and log directories?
I had an error that gave me an error almost identical to that, and nothing worked until I did that. First time I've ever experienced it either.

I thought that might be it but on my most recent uninstall I just manually deleted the entire Clear Sky folder before telling Steam to remove it. I've even gone into appdata and cleared out the crash logs, same error.

Edit: I am an idiot.

I was trying to install the Clear Sky faction mod for SoC. Now I have to find the Faction Wars mod for CS.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 4, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vorenus posted:

I thought that might be it but on my most recent uninstall I just manually deleted the entire Clear Sky folder before telling Steam to remove it. I've even gone into appdata and cleared out the crash logs, same error.

Edit: I am an idiot.

I was trying to install the Clear Sky faction mod for SoC. Now I have to find the Faction Wars mod for CS.

https://www.mediafire.com/?k7fk9i32dcc14el With thanks to Ddraig.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Thanks a ton, got it installed easily enough. Starting to see why CS gets so much hate though. Running FW with the modded lua.jit, and my FPS is pretty bad. Gunfights are nearly unplayable at times, and basic walking through the zone is slightly stuttery.

I'm running a GTX760, i5 4690, and 8GB Ram so even with the notorious XRay engine there shouldn't be any issues. Tried to turn off sun rays, lower SSAO, and activate Dx10.1 but the latter can't be turned on and saving the settings locks up the game process.

It's almost like CS was rushed out the door by a bunch of drunk Russians. :shrug:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vorenus posted:

Thanks a ton, got it installed easily enough. Starting to see why CS gets so much hate though. Running FW with the modded lua.jit, and my FPS is pretty bad. Gunfights are nearly unplayable at times, and basic walking through the zone is slightly stuttery.

I'm running a GTX760, i5 4690, and 8GB Ram so even with the notorious XRay engine there shouldn't be any issues. Tried to turn off sun rays, lower SSAO, and activate Dx10.1 but the latter can't be turned on and saving the settings locks up the game process.

It's almost like CS was rushed out the door by a bunch of drunk Russians. :shrug:

get an i7, ssd, there is a vidyah explaining ok stalker settings, FW is mad lush. personally, I get by on no grass shadowns and a few other tweaks, what I might do later is forced AA through my nvidia software, instead of stalker.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Is there a way to increase the faction rep you gain when completing missions in TFW? I spent a good chunk of time doing poo poo for Clear Sky so they would like me enough to let me join, but now I'm sick of the swamps and would rather join Freedom. I would prefer to get right into the faction wars without having to grind a bunch of missions again.

I was going to join the Mercs but their base is frankly pathetic. Do they even have a weapon upgrader guy?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Go for the true CHEEKI experience and join the Bandits. I was hardly ever in the dark valley when I was doing poo poo for them

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

folgore posted:

Is there a way to increase the faction rep you gain when completing missions in TFW? I spent a good chunk of time doing poo poo for Clear Sky so they would like me enough to let me join, but now I'm sick of the swamps and would rather join Freedom. I would prefer to get right into the faction wars without having to grind a bunch of missions again.

I was going to join the Mercs but their base is frankly pathetic. Do they even have a weapon upgrader guy?

uhhh, the point of FW is not to be practically always at your base, its to be wacking fools. and yes, when you help them take over the upper building in agroprom, you get a mechanic.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I reinstalled misery 2.0 with les miserables and it's been pretty good all around so far. For the most part nothing has been too unmanageab

wait is that a pseudogiant

wait is that two of them

what the gently caress

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

That's one reason I stopped playing Misery. A Pseudogiant is fine, two is ok if you've already got something decent to shoot. But they throw them at you from square one when all you have is a goddamn lupara.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

staberind posted:

get an i7, ssd, there is a vidyah explaining ok stalker settings, FW is mad lush. personally, I get by on no grass shadowns and a few other tweaks, what I might do later is forced AA through my nvidia software, instead of stalker.

It's not that simple. I've got a high end gaming PC with yes, and i7 and ssd; the game does look beautiful and runs at a nice framerate, but is hampered by completely random stuttering just walking through the zone. Disabling sun shadows helped a bit, but not only are there just random stutters, there are also geometry-specific stutters that always occur in the same place. It's just a poo poo optimized game, as evidenced by the retardedly high FPS increase you'll get when the weather switches to fog.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I reinstalled misery 2.0 with les miserables and it's been pretty good all around so far. For the most part nothing has been too unmanageab

wait is that two of them

what the gently caress

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH

I'm pretty sure those two are always intended to be in that area by the sawmill. I always encountered them when I was there

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Acquire Currency! posted:

I'm pretty sure those two are always intended to be in that area by the sawmill. I always encountered them when I was there

There's three there.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leif. posted:

It's not that simple. I've got a high end gaming PC with yes, and i7 and ssd; the game does look beautiful and runs at a nice framerate, but is hampered by completely random stuttering just walking through the zone. Disabling sun shadows helped a bit, but not only are there just random stutters, there are also geometry-specific stutters that always occur in the same place. It's just a poo poo optimized game, as evidenced by the retardedly high FPS increase you'll get when the weather switches to fog.

Yeah, those stutters, thats the engine flipping the ai of stuff around you from offline to online. its only smoothed a little with better hardware.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Leif. posted:

My i5 can run maxed CS Complete with no issues, and I have an SSD as well. It's something in the FW mod that's causing it to take up to ten minutes to load a quicksave or transition from one map to another. I've run with -noprefetch, dropped sun rays to low and SSAO to medium, installed the optimized shaders, installed the optimized lua/jit and XRengine EXE, and finally changed to DX10 mode in-game. The FPS is smoother, but the load times are still unacceptably long.

Every Stalker game has some stutter from offline/online AI switches but good God, before replacing half of the game files walking in an empty field stuttered worse than SGM onlining the entire Skadovsk NPC garrison in CoP. That's really, really odd and bad.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

wait is that two of them

what the gently caress

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Good. Gooooood. :unsmigghh:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there a bug in misery 2.0 where you can have the name/general identification of one class but the weapon proficiencies of another? I'm USS sniper but my weapon proficiencies match USS assaulter. I don't know if everything else is screwed up too, like my weight/speed/other stats.

I also seem to have a bug with Cardan where he sits with no animations at all and I have no option to give him vodka, no matter what kind I have in my inventory. He didn't do his animations when I gave him his buddies' PDAs which may have caused it. So I guess I'm not upgrading anything before Jupiter.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Considering they're responsible for the system it's amazing how much they hosed up with the class system in Misery. Up until recently patches, they completely forgot to make any changes to the Recon class, for example.

My guess with MDT is that Alundaio was the only decent scripter until Yasti joined, and when Alundaio left all that MDT really had was a talented artist and a bunch of idea guys, hence why many patch notes were complete fabrications.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Is there a bug in misery 2.0 where you can have the name/general identification of one class but the weapon proficiencies of another? I'm USS sniper but my weapon proficiencies match USS assaulter. I don't know if everything else is screwed up too, like my weight/speed/other stats.

I also seem to have a bug with Cardan where he sits with no animations at all and I have no option to give him vodka, no matter what kind I have in my inventory. He didn't do his animations when I gave him his buddies' PDAs which may have caused it. So I guess I'm not upgrading anything before Jupiter.

Hmmm there isn't any mention of it in the current bug report thread (and I've never seen that, myself). It sounds like it could be an installation issue, since that's when you initially choose your class...did you have this problem before installing Les Miserables?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I installed Les Miserables after Misery but before I actually started the game to make sure nothing broke. I made sure all its optional files I used were for USS sniper specifically, and the main menu even says USS sniper. The info on my ID card item gives me all the stats for that class too, it's just the weapon proficiencies that are off which makes me wonder if I'm not also getting all the other stats and perks of USS assaulter.

Also I found the problem with Cardan, I actually had the single right kind of vodka out of the 6 different kinds available, mine was just "partially full" instead of "unopened" so I didn't think to buy another of what I already had, but the mod will not accept anything else. :nallears:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It would be very easy to adapt it so that Cardan would accept any vodka regardless of status, but they won't do it because ARE VISION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I've read my post over 3 times and I still don't have any idea what I meant by "with yes". :iiam: