Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I played Shadow Of Chernobyl when it first came out and loved it. For some reason I missed the rest of the series.

I just read Roadside Picnic, awesome short story and definitely recommended, so I feel up for a trip into the zone and I've just got Call Of Pripyat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

baromodo posted:

Roadside Picnic is fantastic, as is Tarkovsky's Stalker film which takes it as its inspiration. I really like the mystery of The Zone as a living, breathing place that people really shouldn't visit. The plot of the game loses some of this mystery and originality but still has a lot of that brutal and lonely essence.

I need to get round to watching the film.

One thing I tried to work out was how many stalkers there were. Spoilered just in case: the fact that there's a trader who buys items from The Zone means there must have been enough for him to make a living, but on the other hand it also seemed like Red knew every other stalker by name, and there weren't many. And in every trip into The Zone, he never met anyone apart from his own companions. Either way it seems far less populated than the games, but I suppose a completely empty zone wouldn't make for much of a fun game.