Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
So I finally got Lost Alpha (v.1.4005) to work, and uhhh... is the AI supposed to headshot kill you the moment they see you? I thought it was because I was playing on Master, but dropping the difficulty to Novice did nothing for it. Either they snipe me from afar with an AK, or they straight up walk up to me, two short bursts at the max and I'm dead. Unless I get them first, it usually results in a quick load.

Any balance mods out there or something? Despite the bugginess, I really like exploring the new areas and would like to finish this without resorting to g_god 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
I'd suggest anyone wanting to play Lost Alpha to add -moderator to the launch parameters and immediately enter "g_god 1". As I said above, the difficulty setting doesn't appear to have any bearing on enemies' godlike hitscan headshots. It's an absolute blast to explore after that. Granted, godmode does remove some of the tension, but when said tension is all about quickloading a million times to kill 3 enemies, I can't see myself ever beating the game legit.

As for teleport cheats, here's a good rundown: http://lost-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Cheating_Stalker%27s_Guide_For_Jumping_The_Levels

The sheer scale of the game is something to marvel at, but it also makes backtracking really tedious, even with a car.

On a different note, I decided to install Misery mod for Call of Pripyat and while it suffers from some artificial difficulty as well, it's far more balanced and I've actually had fun with it. My only issue is playing as the Recon class, since his carry limit is so bad. Other than that, it's a pretty fresh take on the game.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Appoda posted:

I did something with Lost alpha to lessen the laser-head frequency, but I don't really recall what it was. More annoying is that every map has at least one anomaly that's difficult to see or detect while driving around, and you're bound to hit them the first time you come through and blow up your car, along with all of the stuff in the trunk.

The whirlwind anomalies are hilarious with a car though.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

ToxicFrog posted:

I've been taffing around in Lost Alpha for a bit and while I'm not finding it the brutal headshotathon that some people ITT are, it's not really grabbing me either. I'm wondering if I should check out Call of Chernobyl instead.

I've come across a number of comments saying the hitscan headshots are not an issue and I feel like I'm playing a completely different game.

During my playthrough I tried being aggressive and sneaky, tried sniping enemies from afar, change my position to fool the AI, use darkness and night vision to my advantage, leaning etc... and still 9 times out of 10 I got killed within seconds no matter what I did. If I hear a burst from a weapon, I'm dead at the end of it. And I mean instantly, not from bleeding out or from gradual damage. And like I said above, difficulty made absolutely no difference. I think I spent a good 10 hours playing without cheats, but at the end it was so unfun I had to resort to it.

Oh, and it isn't an armor issue either. It was the same during the endgame when I had high tier armor.

Then again, I mostly installed the thing to do virtual urbex and finished it so I think it served its purpose. I just wish I could go back to it one day and actually have fun playing it without resorting to cheats.

CoP Misery mod on the other hand has been an absolute blast ever since I found good weapons and armor. It was pretty awful at the start, what with not having enough money to do even the basic repairs and having terrible equipment, but since I reached Yanov, it's been fun as hell.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, I think I finally figured out the repair/gunsmithing system, and it's not as stupid and redundant as it looks, it's just explained really badly.

Here's a writeup, for the benefit of anyone else who's confused by the Misery/Last Day/Anomaly system and to help get it organized in my head.

With regards to Misery, there is no gun vise option (as far as I know anyway) so you can't ever change the quality of the gun. If you find a rusty gun, it'll always remain rusty. So it's a smarter move to strip it down to parts with a dismantle kit and use those for repairing your favourite gun(s). Especially if the gun in question is in bad shape and doesn't sell for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

XTimmy posted:

Been snooping around but can't find a clear answer: Misery 2.21 I've gone Zanton->Jupiter with Pilot, which means I should be able to walk back on my own correct? Only I can't seem to find where I need to go to get back to Zanton. Any help would be appreciated, don't wanna buy another stove!

There should be a distinct marker on the top right of the map in Jupiter that brings you near the Iron Forest. Here's a screenshot:

In all my three playthroughs of Misery I've had that there. I don't know what would cause it not to appear, but the only thing that pops to mind is: did you give Pilot the maps that make travelling between Zaton and Jupiter cheaper? I don't know if it affects anything, but it's the only quest I think can of that could affect it.