Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

So assuming this does actually get made, it probably won’t be another X-Ray engine game right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Pixelponny posted:

I doubt it. People who basically wrote that engine from scratch left for 4A Games, doing Metro games. I'm not sure if their current staff would actually want to touch that engine with 10-foot pole. But at the other hand, that engine was very impressive visually and it seemed like they figured out most of its problems for Call of Pripyat (but then those people also left, for Rostok Games).

That’s interesting, I wouldn’t think the creators of X-Ray did work on Metro. Despite the similar settings, the games handle very differently. I personally hate the way Metro feels, although I have a hard time articulating why.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

I've been playing a bunch of Call of Chernobyl with Arsenal Overhaul (which totally rips) but I'm getting a little bored with just freeplay and fetch quests. I think I'm gonna go back to Call of Pripyat for a while and have fun with the missions -- I have fond memories of stuff like hunting mutants and searching for the oasis.

When I last played CoP in like 2012, I only with CoP Complete and a little with Swartz Mod. What other mods should I take a look at this time around? I've heard a lot about Misery and Last Day, but are they really fun? Any smaller add-ons like weapon packs and weather systems that are must-haves?

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Man, STALKER stealth is so weird. It’s like, technically viable, but so finicky that hardly anyone even knows how to go about properly doing it. It kinda seems like it’s only useful in the more tightly scripted sections when enemy placement and patrol routes are fixed, like agroprom.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Jehde posted:

Basically none of the devs at GSC are the same devs that worked on STALKER. Most went to either 4A or vostok games when GSC went bankrupt.

I’m under the impression that the only person from the old stalker team is the CEO Sergiy Grigorovich and I kinda doubt he’s the reason why those games are good. There’s that anecdote from one the guys who left to start 4A:

quote:

In 2005, six years into the development of the first Stalker, GSC employed 140 people. Prokhorov says that in the parking lot there were only four cars. Three of them belonged to Grigorovich: a BMW X5, a Porshe Cayenne and a Ferarri F430 with plates that read "Stalker."

The fourth car was a second-hand beater owned by one of GSC's programmers. One hundred forty people worked for Grigorovich, with only one car among them. There is anger, disgust even, in Prokhorov's voice as he tells the story.

On the other hand, that was 17 years ago. Now there’s a whole new generation of Eastern European game devs who grew up loving stalker, so maybe GSC was able to hire some new talented younger people who know what makes those games great.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

There's at least one veteran GSC member who's back on the team and that's Dmitriy Iassenev, the Lead AI Developer we saw manning that machine gun in the trailer. He's "the mastermind behind the AI and A-Life system in S.T.A.L.K.E.R".

Excellent. One of my big fears re: stalker 2 is that the console focus would lead to a more linear game without the emergent interactions around the maps, since that was a big part of what made the original games compelling. Now I’m a little bit more hopeful. Hope he doesn’t die lol

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Tabletops posted:

I wonder if he’s still a huge chode? He was like 24 then

You can look him up on facebook. He does seem to have mellowed out a bit, he mostly enjoys motorsports and hot girls.

I remember looking up his social media maybe 5 years ago and found a bunch of far-right ultranationalist stuff, but I think I had mistakenly found some other sergiy grigorovich who is a nazi and not the GSC guy lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Been playing Lost Alpha and I gotta say, so far I’m liking more than the 70 hours I put into Anomaly. Freeroam is cool and all, but I can only run around those same maps so many times, and the lack of interesting quests and scripted encounters means that many of the locations just feel dead or incomplete. All the new and redesigned maps in Lost Alpha are impressive, it really does feel like an evolution of the original game.