Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I've just set up Shadow of Chernobyl for my first time playing a STALKER game, just sticking to a basic setup with PRZ and a texture and weather mod.

Are there any more recent developments with shaders for the base game, or does that only apt to the newer ones/mod spinoffs? I've seen Meltac's dynamic shaders mentioned and there was also some that came with the PRZ texture pack, but not really sure what's worth using (if any).

On top of that, is there any reasonable way to do AA while the game is set to full dynamic lighting? I saw I could force MSAA through NVIDIA inspector but it seems to cut into the framerate fairly hard. I also tried downsampling from 4k but get stuck with tiny font/HUD do that's not great either.

Other than that, enjoying the experience so far! My only experience was watching a friend play the intro way back in 2007, but the general feel and atmosphere seems like it still holds up even now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations. I made an unlucky typo at the top - I'm actually using ZRP as the base, it seemed like the one necessary thing.

Just set up those shaders and textures and it's looking good. I originally had the weather mod included as it was recommended and came in the STARTER mod pack. I went back to default and like it just fine, there's probably a lesson there about giving the base game a go before looking at all the mods (minus bugfixing ones anyway).

Toast King fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 7, 2018

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

v1ld posted:

SWTC Silver is a good weather mod that has a more balanced feel, but vanilla is good.

Have you got a link to that weather mod? I'd be interested to give it a try later on to compare. I haven't really looked into the Russian side of STALKER modding, so I've got no idea where or how to get any mods that aren't the big obvious ones on ModDB or english sites.

I found a couple of pages through googling but no luck getting to a download link. Is there any difference between silver and gold versions of that mod?

Toast King fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 7, 2018

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Just wanted to add that I'm a decent way into my first playthrough of Shadow of Chernobyl now, and any issues of dated graphics or old mechanics disappeared after the first couple of hours.

I've only had a vague idea of the game story and setting before now and tried to avoid most of this thread. I've just gone through Agroprom and the X-18 lab over the last night. Great stuff all around, it manages to be incredibly tense/creepy as soon as there's even just one new type of mutant getting around in the shadows underground.

No idea how far through the game that point is, but a bit of map jankiness aside it's been a great experience. I'll definitely be giving Clear Sky/CoP a go some time after this.