Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Hi. Just getting around to playing SoC for the first time since it was new. Is ZRC and the shaders linked in the OP still the best way to play (mostly) vanilla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Thanks. I went with ZRP and the shaders. Seems to be what I was looking for.

e: hooly poo poo this game is hard.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Quicksave a LOT

I am. Believe me. The problem is that I still only have a lovely handgun, a lovely silenced handgun, and a sawed-off with 4 rounds and I'm having to kill a bunch of bandits in the Garbage. Hope I find a better gun soon.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Ah - the Hobo Phase TM
lol - yeah I've already gotten some better assault rifles and shitloads of ammo. I am curious about AP bullets. They don't seem to kill Army dudes significantly more efficiently than standard FMJ. Is it just that I'm missing more than I think?

aniviron posted:

As an addendum to the stealth chatter: bushes don't really hide you from the AI's vision, and make an absolutely poo poo ton of noise when you move through them. Contrary to every other game with stealth mechanics, avoid foliage like the plague.
Holy poo poo, that makes so much sense. Thank you.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

:allears:

I love when someone finds the stalker games for the first time. Reading about their journey into -Radioactivity: surviving inside the hellfires and anomalies in the zone of Chernobyl- is as good as any travel diary.
Get out of here, Stalker.
On my way to Agroprom. Saved some Loners, shot some Army, got Cuisinarted by some anomalies as I was running away from some Very Bad Doggos. Game is effective at getting me tense.

Quick question - is there ever any fast travel or shortcut back to the first zone (without mods)? Having to walk back through 4+ zones to turn in a quest item for Sidorovich.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Fellis posted:

Eventually you’ll get artefacts that allow near infinite sprint if you arent overloaded, and that helps travel a ton, especially when you are familiar with the anomaly locations

I'm currently running around with 2 Moonlights which helps a lot. I also found a SEVA suit and TRs 301. Survivability has increased a bunch.

Do stashes not spawn gear unless you find info about them on a random PDA?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Yes, they only spawn by finding their pda in Shadow of Chernobyl. That's some good gear btw, have you seen a lab yet?

Don't think so. I assume I'd know if I had. I did save an ecologist who told me to come visit him at his mobile lab. Haven't done that yet. Currently stuck deciding if I want to try and kill all the Duty guys who want me to help them take out a Freedom stronghold. Duty sucks.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Not a fan of Yantar. Deffo not a fan of snorks.

e: was not expecting to go deaf IRL today, but that Controller in the sewers had different ideas.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 8, 2021

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

If I agree to help Freedom kill the Duty squad at the farmstead, will I be unable to use the Bar anymore?

Also whoa! I'm Strelok? Who could have seen that coming? :)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Just finished and got the "good" ending. Was not a fan of the Monolith gauntlet at all. Good game though.

CoP next I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

sea of losers posted:

after that i highly recommend you at least check out call of chernobyl, but id recommend Anomaly. much more nuanced and survivalist. im surprised you havent played these games haha :)

I did play SoC way back in the day before mods fixed a lot of stuff and on a computer that could barely handle it. I remember something happening that kept me from continuing the story so I just gave up and didn't play it again until just now.

sea of losers posted:

also if youre playing CoP you can use the gunslinger mod, which i would HIGHLY recommend. it adds some guns and makes Everything Very Fancy

Is gunslinger good for a first playthrough of CoP or does it break modify the game somehow so it's a completely different experience?