Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
So, after having SoC and CoP laying around in my Steam library for ages and finally decided I'd give it an honest go.

Turns out I really dig these games. So, uh, thanks for this thread I guess. It's what got me started at all.

Also am I crazy for thinking of this as the FPS equivalent of dark souls?

And finally: a real question.
It seems the improved shaders are only available for SoC; there are files for CoP but they don't seem to actually work?

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Well, I still got it looking good with atmosfear, some texture-packs, maxed out settings and all that.

Just felt like something was missing, might be the depth of field I got in SoC?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Yeah, ogg is just an audio file format, not specific to xray either.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
If it's a beta, a lack of content is totally understandable.

I know little of the game except that it's from ex GSC devs, what is the idea of the game? A big free roaming shooter á la DayZ minus the zombies?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I doubt I'll touch it before they get pve stuff because I have no interest in a stalker deathmatch game

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

drkeiscool posted:

Aren't betas supposed to be feature-complete?

:rolleyes: I admit its hard to define what a beta should be these days

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Ddraig posted:

I've decided to take the Zone in a different direction, that being the foremost mutated poultry simulator on the market.

Yes, that does seem like the only logical next step to take.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
More likely their genetics have deteriorated more and more with every generation :smith:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
So, I've played some SoC but not really gone far in CoP and I just installed that and Misery.

Now, I'm not really sure what the hell is going on but I kinda like it.. I just don't really know what the hell I'm supposed to be doing.
Should I keep going or just go back to vanilla first?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Is there a mod to make night vision less annoying in CoP ? :cry:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hmm consider not going to a mismanaged radioactive disaster zone

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Ok then bring a gun and shoot some guys

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Shotguns for life :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

RickVoid posted:

Probably a forlorn hope, but do you know of anybody doing any SA-Quality LPs for Call of Pripyat or (mostly what I'm looking for) associated mods like Misery? Preferably no face cam or lovely co-commentators, reasonably competent at the game. I know that Alex over at LoadingReadyLive has a number of videos, but he spent multiple videos throwing himself at one single enemy encounter that he simply was not ready to get past and it burned me the hell out on his stuff.
It's a couple of years old, but give this a try: http://lparchive.org/STALKER-Call-of-Pripyat/