Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

drkeiscool posted:

To be fair, the Jupiter Plant (the outside) always struck me as being far too barren in vanilla CoP. Some mercs and dogs, and I think a psydog, maybe?

To be fair again, I've never played Misery, so maybe somewhere in the middle ground would be cool.
I thought the vanilla Jupiter plant was a nice return to SoC-type loneliness in CoP's overpopulated maps; a hulking empty nothing just itching to get you turned around and trapped in a blowout.

It's one of very few places in CoP where you feel truly alone. Every other major building was either a hub or a set piece and it really took away from the game's creep factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The Zone is only trivial in Call of Pripyat because you're almost never out of sight of a main hub. If you run into trouble in Yanov or Zaton, outside of a handful of locations like the Factory, you're at most a five-minute jog from the station or the Skadovsk and, provided you stuck to the roads, only very rarely would there be anything even remotely dangerous between you and safety. Outside of blowouts, any sort of real danger was heavily telegraphed and usually limited to pre-defined areas and missions.

In Shadow of Chernobyl, it was very easy to get yourself cut off from safety. Yantar and the Red Forest had two of the most hostile areas in the game between them and safety, and even places like the Garbage and Dark Valley were big enough and remote enough that a single randomly-spawned pack of dogs could be the difference between making it back to Sidorovich and bleeding out before you reach the Cordon.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Installed CoC. Rolled Loner. Walked out of Rookie Village. Was immediately set upon by two Fractures, some Flesh and a loudass cat. Wasted all my ammo like a dumbshit. Ran away. Wound up by the Mill, where a huge firefight was going on between Bandits and the Military. Pistol-popped a bandit who'd wandered too far from the crowd. Stole his shotgun. Crept carefully through the ruins looting corpses. Bumped into two bandits. Shotgunned them in the face and ran away. Met a Freedom dude who'd just got done wasting Boar. Tried to field dress them. Immediately attacked by Bloodsuckers. Managed to shotgun one in the face and run away. Hid behind a tree. Dude popped out from behind tree. Shotgunned him in the face. Looted some loving landmines off his corpse. Dude must have been Military, because a helicopter started shooting at me with a minigun. Ran away. Got back to the Rookie Village. Sold landmines to Sidorovich for ammo. In-game time? 11:00.

Such is life in the Zone.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Ddraig posted:

This is actually how it works. Each military unit has a commander. The commander is the only one that can call in a helicopter, and only if they manage to actually physically get somewhere to radio in.

If you identify the commanders in each squad and take them out first, they won't call in helicopters, and helicopters that are there won't really focus on you.

Yeah I'm fairly sure this is what happened. I only saw the one guy but it was thick fog and there could have been a whole squad out there for all I could see. Plus there'd been a chopper hovering around that area earlier when I'd been plinking Flesh, so it didn't just spawn on top of me.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I'm really not seeing the empty, deserted Zone some people are getting with CoC. It's pretty much all insane all the time.

Tonight's adventure involved helping a couple of Freedom guys assault some Bandits at the Train Hangar. We'd just made it past the front gate when a squad of Military showed up from the direction of Agroprom and turned it into a three-way brawl. In the confusion, I managed to sneak into the building and creep up on them with my Browning, which apparently nobody could hear over the crack of AK fire.

Bandits and Military dead, I was wandering around the building looting corpses when I hear roars and gunfire outside. Turns out a Bloodsucker had wandered in and killed my Freedom buds, then been gunned down by another squad of Military approaching from the south. By then it was getting dark and a storm was rolling in, so I quickly looted the Freedom dudes and ran off, bullets at my back, to sell their poo poo in the Bar.

On the way I took a detour to the Truck Cemetery and, in the two minutes I was there, saw a Duty squad mowing down about a dozen Flesh while some other guys in the distance opened up on them with what sounded like an PKM.

I think my guy's going to spend all his cash on Vodka.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
One of the few upsides to not having much time to play vidya games any more is it's really hard to burn myself out. If I was binging STALKER like I used to if probably see everything CoC has to offer in a few days, but at this rate it'll easily tide me over until some cool stuff starts coming out.

Yesterday I decided to head to Limansk, seeing as I've never been there before as I never got around to finishing Clear Sky. I got as far as the Dead City before getting pinned down in an old high-rise by a squad of Mercs. I managed to take out the guys who rushed the building, but I had to wait until a fog bank rolled in before I could escape without getting sniped.

Food and ammo supplies were too low to push on to Limansk, so I snuck back to Army Warehouses to restock. On the way back to the Freedom base I got chased off the road and into some heavy radiation by a pack of Bloodsuckers.

I'd had to drop everything but vodka and bandages to carry all the Merc loot, so I had to high-tail it back to the Freedom base, drunk to the point of collapse, carrying 50lbs of empty guns through a fog bank, praying nothing else decided to eat or shoot me on the way.

Going to make another attempt tonight.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Mutants are definitely a threat, but only in that it seems like there's a lot more of them than in vanilla and their locations are more randomized. I don't think infestations happen, although it'd be pretty awesome if they did - buildings in unpopulated areas having a low random chance of becoming overrun with mutants would add an extra dimension, especially as CoP made it canon that mutants "nest".

The only problem would be people getting hosed over at lower levels by getting caught in a blowout and having the only cover nearby infested with high level mutants.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Cool, I didn't know that. Looks like I might have to finally get into proper modding.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
gently caress dudes who "surrender" only to punch you in the mouth and start shooting again if you let them go. Is there any point to not just taking them out execution-style?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Holy poo poo, the Swamps are crawling with Military in CoC. I just had to fight my way through multiple outposts, a helicopter and a machine gun nest just to rescue the buddy of some dude in the rookie village. Then, coming back through the Cordon, we got pinned down in the Mill by a million bandits who'd somehow gotten hold of Abakans, and I had to burn through nearly all my bandages and medkits to keep us both alive. Then I had to use up the last of them when we got attacked by a pack of pseudodogs coming over the bridge.

What did I get for this? 5000RU.

gently caress you, rear end in a top hat.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

staberind posted:

its ridiculously immersive for its time.
Fallout 4 might be technically far superior, but it needs a tonne of mods to approach the atmosphere.
Do you have a list of those mods handy? I so badly want Fallout to be American STALKER, and it kinda sorta gets there when the music's off and the fog rolls in, but it never quit scratches the itch and I'm a complete idiot when it comes to finding mods for anything non-STALKER.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Playing CoC Warfare and managed to take the whole of Agroprom for the Loners. Only problem is the Military sends a bunch of guys up the tunnel entrance by the factory a few times a day. I've been through the tunnels and I can't find any exits to Military controlled areas, so I assume they just spawn down there.

It's not much of an issue as my squads are now all heavily armed enough to treat them as an ammo farm, but it's kinda dumb in a mod about capturing and holding territory to have infinite baddies popping up in the middle of your base.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Getting your teeth kicked in is the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. experience, Anomaly just amplifies it by not giving a gently caress about your level when it gives you random quests. Hey Barkeep, got a mission for me? Assassinate a dude in Meadow? Sure! He's definitely not going to have two dozen heavily armed friends, right? That could be a problem seeing as I've been here three days and I'm still counting individual bullets for my lovely AK.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The three most important purchases you can make in early game Anomaly are binoculars, a knife and a shotgun. The binoculars for scouting out locations before you hit them so you can get in and out without getting into a huge firefight, and the knife and shotgun so you can use the wilderness to avoid gunfights and start a sideline killing mutants and selling their parts.

Anomaly is an anti-shooter, an exercise learning to not fire your main weapon unless it's absolutely necessary. Rifles might as well fire diamonds in this game. Gunfights are a resource drain because you will never pull enough off the corpses to cover the cost of the bullets.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The way to fix fast travel bugs is to not use fast travel. Slowly wander the wastes in silent terror waiting for a pack of boars to show up and wreck your poo poo, as the Wish Granter intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I don't mind the lack of footage. Now isn't exactly the time for posting sicknasty dubstep montages of dudes popping off AKs in (virtual) Ukraine.

I expect they'll use the time to find a way to remove the Ukrainian army as an antagonist, as it'll be a long time before a pile of corpses in Ukrainian army uniforms is an acceptable image, even in a video game. Plus, explaining why the army isn't there is pretty easy, and I never understood them as a faction in the original games anyway. Just say;

"The Zone is sealed off by government forces. It is possible to enter, provided you are skilled in either stealth or bribery, but those that do find themselves in a lawless environment where people make their own alliances and choices are made at the barrel of a gun. Scientific expeditions operate, but even they, save for their private bodyguards, are on their own".