Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Ddraig posted:

For those wanting to play Clear Sky, I've made this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847454/Faction%20Commander%20OGSM.7z

A combination of Faction Commander and OGSM Clear Sky

Has a few extra elements from SGM etc.

The included XrGame.dll contains the X-Ray extensions which includes things like first person death, body collision and such. Optional, but recommended.

Also, be sure to check out fc_options.ltx in the configs folder - it has many options you can tweak!

I installed this last night and found out that when I try to load a saved game, it would crash at the 'Synchronising' stage. Any ideas what the problem could be? This is what I get in the crash log:

CLIENT: Synchronizing...
* phase time: 321 ms
* phase cmem: 445825 K
* [win32]: free[2229112 K], reserved[88964 K], committed[1876164 K]
* [ D3D ]: textures[596426 K]
* [x-ray]: crt heap[445823 K], process heap[14031 K], game lua[65771 K], render[3938 K]
* [x-ray]: economy: strings[16828 K], smem[7814 K]
! [LUA][ERROR] ERROR: WeatherManager:set_state_as_string: malformed state string. 
! Cannot find saved game ~~~ weathermanager:set_state_as_string: malformed state string. 

FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression : fatal error
[error]Function : CScriptEngine::lua_error
[error]File : E:\priquel\sources\engine\xrServerEntities\script_engine.cpp
[error]Line : 180
[error]Description : <no expression>
[error]Arguments : LUA error: ....t.a.l.k.e.r. - clear sky\gamedata\scripts\_g.script:973: bad argument #2 to 'format' (string expected, got nil)

It seems to happen every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Is there an updated post anywhere listing what add-ons are recommended for CoC and the order they should be installed? I've been wanting to play this for a while now and I think the release of AO3 had sealed the deal for me.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Is the install order list posted a bunch of pages back still correct?

It's something like:

Stock Call of Chernobyl
Ddraigs 2.0 patch
ORW/AO3 - Are these hot-swappable?
Some music add on

And whatever after that? Do the add ons also incorporate weather/atmospheric effects, textures and shaders, etc? The first page doesn't really cover the latest developments and I don't know if the links posted back whenever are still current/valid.

Is the AO3 version on moddb legit or has someone put their own spin on it?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
So I've installed that kinda latest list of add ons for CoC. I'm pretty sure I've stuffed a couple of things up because none of the pseudodogs are wearing their goggles...

It's been fun so far. I started as Monolith and straight away I was ravaged by a pseudogiant, rats and blind dogs. I ran to the stadium and killed maybe a dozen military before heading back to the trader. My only gripe so far has been that the weapon sights are all screwed up which is a bit of a bummer, and the only trader isn't interested in weapons.

Is there a fix at all for the bugged scopes? I've tried the deleting/renaming the ui_ingame file but that didn't help.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Is there a scope fix for OWR3? When I look through scope, the image is compressed to the top of the screen and doesn't line up with where I'm aiming. It's the same for the binoculars too. Has the patch for AO3 made it the better add on to have over OWR3?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Minarchist posted:

It's in the readme :ssh:

Yeah I tried that. I mentioned it in my last post I think and it didn't seem to change anything. I've looked at the add-on comment section and those didn't fix it either. I guess I'll uninstall and try it again. I'm sure I've messed up the install order because I'm not seeing any pseudodoggles :(

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Reinstalled everything and I think it's all playing nicely this time. The weapon zoom works well so I'm happy. I've got a new bug though. When playing as the military, I've been tasked to get the advanced tool kit for the mechanic. I found one and got the quest update but when I go to hand it in, nothing happens. He thanks me for the kit but the second tier of upgrades are still locked.

Is there a way I can fix this in the gamedata folder? I'm really trying to have better NVG on the helmet and that seems to be the only way to get it.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Minarchist posted:

Artifacts: Anyone will buy them.
Trophies: Sell em to Sakharov in the Yantar mobile bunker. Not really worth a trip unless you have a big stash or he gave you a quest for a specific body part.
PDAs: Sidorovich, Xenotech (cordon mechanic) Barkeep, Skinflint, GET OUT OF HERE STALKER guy, Monolith Trader, and Owl for sure. Any trader or NPC that you get a "I have something you want" dialog will buy them off you.

I thought Barkeep would be interested in the 50 PDA's I've managed to scavenge so I went for a hike into Duty territory. As soon as I get into the Bar, the loudspeakers declare that there is an intruder. I thought it was the Bloodsucker that followed me in but NOPE. Barkeep and his two cronies decided to shoot me dead in an alleyway. I'm playing as the military which makes things a tad difficult though. I'll try the other places to see if they're happy to deal with military.

In other news, 1/2 a belt of PKM ammo is more than enough to down a chopper

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

staberind posted:

is this on the "what can I add to coc" list ? http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/roadside-picnic-addons-pack-by-0x29a-v01-1422

its a bunch of mods slurmed together. looks good.

I installed this mod and it's not too bad. You can disable the janky animations for eating/first aid, etc and the game hasn't been terrifically broken so far. I did ID a few big bugs to the creator and he's been pretty active on the ModDB page. He released a separate fix for a suit upgrade error which results in a crash every time and I think he's working on another update soon.

I haven't tried all of the weapons but I have found the FOV while wielding the Desert Eagle and detector is too far to one side so the screen of the detector is almost out of frame.

I get a kick out of how many times I die. Too many times have I been flanked and got a shotgun to my neck because I was too focused on murdering Freedom... It's great.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Section Z posted:

Do either of those mods have the Saiga and/or ramp up buckshot so it will consistently two shot dogs, pseudo dogs, and snorks regardless of what shotgun I use? This thing has been keeping me sane.

Spaz-12 no longer has the fastest reload in Russia and recoil inflation has hit it's "autofire" hard. Mosberg now has worse stats than the saiga and "realistic is slow pump action then an awkward pause until your trigger pull counts"

I juggle and discard a rainbow of assault rifles that still won't kill dogs fast unless you double tap them in the eyeballs, or boars that think 6 bullets to their huge cranium is reasonable. I have cool 9x18 SMGs that shred zombies wearing body armor even from way too loving far away. But gently caress it dogs are still unflinching juggernauts if you don't aimbot them multiple times in the brain with anything smaller than a thumb sized slug.

The hunting shotgun still stays in the stash, as usual, despite it's incredibly ramped up stats in Ao3. Since two shots isn't enough when you step out of the boat first thing in the morning and a bleeder runs past eight NPCs also departing to take a swing at you while beard whines at you to put your gun away.

I modified the shotgun ammo way back when I was playing Oblivion Lost for the first time. It was so satisfying to finally be able to drop a bandit with a single blast to the chest and the added excitement from the fact that the same could happen to me made the game so much more enjoyable. It turned the bandits with a scabby sawn-off into a potent threat for sure.

This might be testing some memories, but I recall something from the old Stalker thread (maybe 2012/2013) about a similar but legally different game to Stalker being made. I think it was called Zone something or Area something with maybe some numbers in it? I can only remember a video of someone in a swamp putting a pistol together and picking up a first aid kit or something. Pretty sure it wasn't that failed crowd-funded rip off game that got shut down.

Does anyone remember something like that ? Am I making it up?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I just installed Dead Air after navigating the MODDB site. They could have made it a little less painful...

I think I'm irradiated even after drinking 3 bottles of vodka. Currently dying either to radiation damage or lack of sleep. Are there indicators for being tired? Almost died to a cat when walking to the car park. Died several times when killing bandits solo because I didn't know where Fanatic was and had to stealthily knife one to steal his busted SKS. I climbed into the attic of the barn and sniped the remaining bandits. I'm currently in the Cordon basement trying to sleep on the bed in there, but I don't think I can, so I'm going to die due to my severe wasting disease or whatever it is that's killing me.

Game seems kinda fun so far and made me feel how I felt when I played Stalker for the very first time, so I'm grateful for that. I think I'm gonna tinker with the files to get rid of the head bobbing and brace for more arse pain.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Definitely going to be tweaking the hunger meter in Dead Air. It's a bit unrealistic that I literally starve to death within 24 hours of no food and that three loaves of bread with tuna isn't enough to fill the stomach. I had to eat several cans of food just to make it to the farm north of the rail crossing in Cordon. The stamina is out of control as well. I'm not carrying a heavy load but I'm completely exhausted after walking 300 meters. I think I'll install one of the addons that tweaks the game to be less frustrating, then do any further changes myself.

I mean, I can see where some people might like having to stack individual bullets, or dismantle broken radios for copper wire, but it seems a little excessive. I'm also not a fan of how the Cordon border guards have all been issued rifles with bent barrels. No wonder the zone is so full of bandits.

I do appreciate the deadliness of the F1 grenade though. I got lucky with a throw and killed 9 soldiers. All but one despawned by the time I got back from a visit to Sid and now the rookie camp has been wiped out in retalliation.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I'm not sure what's happened to my game now, but it won't even open. I tried changing the stamina bleed in the actor.ltx file and everything refuses to work. I did a clean install of everything and that was enough to get me to the options menu. I restarted the game to let the changes take effect and now it's crash city.

Any idea on what the hell is going wrong?

The error log only tells me these things:

Executing config-script "user.ltx"...
! Cannot open script file [user.ltx]
Loading DLL: xrRender_R1.dll
Loading DLL: xrGame.dll
! Unable to find Software\GSC Game World\STALKER-COP\ in registry
! Player name registry key (InstallUserName) not found !

CleanDeviceSpecifierList
CleanDeviceSpecifierList DirectSound Software
devices DirectSound Software
SOUND: OpenAL: system default SndDevice name is DirectSound3D
stack trace:

[error][ 126] : The specified module could not be found.

Additionally, the game isn't even making the user.ltx or tmp.ltx files in the appdata folder, so who knows what's going on. I'm going to try another install and see if it isn't one of the mods that improves faction relations or something...

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

The Dark Project posted:

I am really really enjoying Dead Air currently, with some sensible tweaks added in. If anyone is thinking of giving it a go, don't pass up the 'Inventor' skill at the beginning and the one which gives you a basic toolkit. Between those you should be able to make a lot of the equipment you need when starting out, with even better items available due to the 'Inventor' skill.

I chose 'Butcher', 'Strong Stomach' skills and the 'Artefact Hunter' kit. It's bare-bones going in, you'll be hurting for a decent gun for a while, but it's a pretty good combo. I've even managed to butcher artefacts from mutants, like Thorn Artefacts from mutant boars. Not sure how much benefit 'Strong Stomach' gives you, but considering you'll be killing a lot of mutants, which you will then need to cook and eat, it's worthwhile.

Also, don't sell items which you normally think are just junk for your inventory. The tool kits allow you to make advanced items, but require a lot of odd components. For example, you can make a coal fired cooker from an empty gas bottle, a sleeping bag from a tarpaulin and other items, and repair kits once you've got a cleaning kits, a few additional items, and an empty repair kit of the right kind.

I am considering doing a re-start so I can take advantage of this, but I just hauled all my gear from the Great Swamps, Cordon and Garbage up to the Bar, so I might continue this way. I want to see how hard/easy it is to get to the Ecologists so I can sell my huge amount of mutant parts that I have collected to them, hopefully without having Burer's melt my face off in the Wild Territory along the way.

I wouldn't mind taking a trip out to Zaton to see if I can get the mission to kill the Bloodsucker lair, just because their meat is one of the most rewarding to eat, being less contaminated for the calories it gives you than a majority of the others, outside of Chimera meat.

Also, Toz-34 (the full length version) is a beast shotgun and probably going to stay as my shotgun of choice for the rest of the game. It's low-recoil two shot ability just wrecks enemies and mutants.

My game really does not like any unexpected tweaking. I lowered the price of enhancing one of the suits and the game would crash whenever I spoke to the mechanic. Same thing would happen if I tried to wear the suit and I had to reload a save from before I entered the same map as the mechanic. This never happened in my previous Stalker Mods, so who knows what's going on.

I went to the Army Warehouses today and holy hell the atmosphere was perfect. I was expecting it to be the same as SoC, but the abandoned farmhouse should have been a clue. Instead of a Duty squad, I was met with screaming Fleshes and three Bloodsuckers. Moving to wear the Freedom base should have been, I discovered a ruin littered with Monolith and military corpses, 3 tushkano swarms, about 20 dogs and a lone controller. The desolation combined with the ambient music was spot on and the roars of distant Bloodsuckers let me know I shouldn't have been there. I'm really hesitating to go back. Tried going to Yantar via the wild territory and choked to death...

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

AGGGGH BEES posted:

You need a closed circuit breathing unit. Either buy an oxygen tank from a vendor or get a suit that is fully enclosed.

Oh yeah I worked that out pretty quick. I like that sort of thing about the game, it's just the stamina and economy that are really killing it for me and making me dislike the game more and more. The roving groups of creatures are at borderline bullshit levels, but it forces you to really plan your routes and emphasises that it doesn't matter how good your armour or weapons are.

Is the Anomaly mod the same but less lovely? Does it break the same way Dead Air does if you tweak one file?

I'd much prefer items/food/ammo to hold more "worth" to make you consider whether or not you really can spare trading a bandage for a can of tuna, for example. Kind of along the same lines as Metro where you traded ammo for services. I don't understand why the devs thought putting the player at a disadvantage just because they're the player would make it more fun. Traders should by guns that aren't in mint condition and you should be able to trade goods for upgrades. You want that cool racing stripe on your helmet? It's going to cost you a few medkits, cans of beans and a bottle of vodka, friend.

Stalker is still the best game I've played in a long time, but the devs of the various mods just can't seem to perfect the thing that makes it such an amazing experience

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

sea of losers posted:

anomaly is the same but less dumb bullshit + free roam

thing is it Should matter how good yr equipment is, and in anomaly it does

I meant more in the sense that a couple of snorks will still ruin your day if you're not expecting them. I do like that I can shoot a dog once with a pistol and just have to wait a few minutes for it to bleed out. Makes conserving ammo that much easier. I'm surprised they didn't decide to force the player to hand load magazines and then hide the actual ammo count, though incorporating the system from Escape from Tarkhov would be neat.

Is there an add on that lets you break down weapons to collect their working components for weapon repair? I know you can get weapon parts in Dead Air, but they don't seem to be able to replace broken components. It would be pretty cool if you could do the same thing with armour as well. I've had a CoC mod that gave a slim % of being able to scavenge some low condition armour off of corpses, but being able to break down something that was completely busted to help repair a better suit would be fun. One of the Stalker mods also had a cool system where your food would become spoiled if you were in high radiation areas for too long.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Quicksilver6 posted:

You can start off with medkits so you have a passable chance at survival in most instances not involving higher tier weapons and mutants.

Also the system of breaking things down to get repair materials is an integral part of Anomaly repack, it uses the Advanced Weapon Repair mod. Basically you need tools or kits to disassemble equipment. Then you can use a technician work bench to repair or modify it yourself. Complicated but powerful. Also completely optional.

Sorry, I was trying to say that I like the fact that mutants are strong and are still a threat despite having high tier equipment. I'd die pretty quick to cats even with a Duty suit if I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing out in the wilderness. They're still manageable even without armor if you're smart about how you travel

I'll check out Anomaly now that Dead Air has completely broken on me for some reason. Is it easier to tweak the files to suit individual preferences? Trying to make the Duty mechanic cheaper in Dead Air is what made my game CTD endlessly.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Am I missing something with the Anomaly folders?

If I'm following the convoluted ModDB instructions correctly, I have downloaded the Anomaly repack pt 1, Anomaly repack pt 2 and Anomaly repack update files. Except when I extract everything to a folder, the game doesn't run. The total folder size is sitting at about 30GB and I have a bunch of .db files in the game data folder. There's also a bunch of .db files in the levels folder as well as an updates folder.

I have no idea if I'm just not able to parse what the instructions are, but it's not even starting up when I click on the launcher.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

sea of losers posted:

just download the big files, decompress those, then get the latest update and plop on top.

frankly idk what ive used the upd for either. only thing i can think of is the containers for artifacts that you can mount on yr belt that say they have low power consumption but i dont see my upd in my inventory and my weight benefits from them always seem active even if i forget to charge my batteries? lots to figure out but what a wondrous mess it is :)

to newcomers: i strongly recommend going toward wild territory/yantar and getting a SEVA or just eco bodyarmor suit, even if in terrible condition, it will have slots for artifacts. you can then visit sakharov and get containers for them you can mount on yr belt to get benefit without irradiating you, and 0% armor with artifact slots is better than no armor.

Right. I downloaded the zip archives or whatever they're called and extracted the contents of pt 1 and pt 2 into a folder, then extracted the update zip archive on top of the pt 1 and 2 stuff. It ain't working. Are you saying I'm supposed to unpack the .db files in order to get Anomaly to work? I'm really not understanding why it's not working and ModDB is full of weird broken english that I have difficulty interpreting.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Quicksilver6 posted:

My understanding was that you put all the pts together into one folder. You get 7z because it has that 001, 002 file format and just open the first one and extract to a folder. Once you've done that, THEN you unzip the latest patch and overwrite everything.

Although according to the latest post, it seems to now be hosted on ModDB and in two halves?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/downloads/stalker-anomaly-repack-131-part-1
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/downloads/stalker-anomaly-repack-131-part-2

That should simplify matters for now, at least.

Turns out I might have been doing it the correct way, I just had to restart my computer a bunch of times for the unpacking to take effect? Now the game wont play unless I restart my computer each time, and even then it's only worked 1/10 times. I was lucky enough to play as Duty for all of 5 minutes and had a ball stabbing two pseudodogs to death for an 11000 rouble reward as well as getting embroiled in a gunfight between a large group of loners and bandits. I was cooked to death in a burner anomaly and the game crashed because it couldn't find a monolith suit (even though I wasn't anywhere near monolith). Now it's not loading anymore.

I really don't understand why it's breaking like it is. The launcher and x-ray programs appear in the task manager, they're just not doing anything. I left it for 10 minutes and it still hasn't loaded. I'm now uninstalling and reinstalling for the fourth time now, but I have no confidence that it'll fix anything. It's giving me bad_system_config_info errors when I restart my computer now. I'm getting over this real quick.

I had 0 issues with Dead Air or any other mod since SoC was first released and it's definitely not the specs on my computer.

Fall Dog fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 28, 2018

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

The Dark Project posted:

Anyone else who is using Dead Air finding it hard to find a scope for your gun? I've not been able to make it out of Rostok yet (Wild Territory is completely filled with noxious fumes it seems, I am going to need an oxygen tank to get through), but I can't even find the most basic scope to go with my gun. All I was hoping for was a PU scope that I could whack on my SVT-40 so I didn't have to rely on iron sights any more.

Is there a way to change the trader files so they have at least some chance of showing up? I can keep the more advanced ones like ACOG's and the like as very rare or impossible to get off regular traders, but I would like to have a chance of finding at least some of the older style ones that you can put on old WWII rifles and AK weapons.

Edit: Nevermind, I just added the line in to the trader file. I don't think I'll be getting to Beard anytime soon, so I'll only be adding the PU scope in.

Also, took a trip to the Scientists. So far they buy everything except for Snork Hands, Rat Carcasses, Dosimeters and Echo detectors. And they pay pretty much twice what the Barman does, so save up your mutant parts, buy an oxygen tank, and brave your way through the Wild Territory. The cash from the trips alone makes it worthwhile, but be prepared to get unleashed on through the Wild Territory. It's incredibly dangerous.

A less deadly way to Yantar is via the Agroprom area. You can reach it easily enough via the road behind the bandit railway yard base in Garbage, but I think you can also get to it through a route near the farmstead in Cordon. I used these routes because I didn't get myself the air tanks from Barman. Agroprom is chock full of mutants and there are pockets of high radiation close to the actual map change part.

I can definitely only play Anomaly if I restart my computer each time it crashes and only then if I'm fast and it's the first thing I open once it's booted up. Any idea why this would be happening? It's doing something funky to my computer and I wish it wouldn't, because it's a ton of fun. I selected the Azazel option when playing, so I think when it's crashing from that, it's because there's a missing Monolith suit or something when it's trying to respawn me as a monolith NPC. So far I'm liking it a little more than Dead Air. I've been ripping weapons and armour apart to get their sweet, sweet components. I've stabbed a bloodsucker to death and I've also spent the afternoon clearing out the Freedom base that's also populated with bandits for some reason. The Duty Colonel tasked me with securing the base for Duty, but didn't think to give me any support...

It's not as atmospheric as Dead Air is and it's quite vibrant. The NPCs can spot you through foliage from a crazy distance and it doesn't look like the sneak is as good as it is in Dead Air. They've nailed the stamina though. It's fine and actually recharges when you're just walking. It only decreases when you're running under load. The maps you find don't reveal anomalies or stash locations, but that's much of a muchness. I haven't tried to repair my equipment yet so I've still got that to look forward to. I think the furthest I've traveled is to the railway shed in Garbage and the Freedom base and I've already killed 55 stalkers. The best moment has still been the running gun battle between the bandits and loners when I first started. Good times.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

The Dark Project posted:

So, I finally got to retry going through the Lab in Yantar, after paying for a truce with the Military. It worked :D Came out the other side and instead of their being a massive force waiting for me, I was able to get out easily. I could also go talk to some of them if I wanted, and do missions for them, but I didn't have any of the stuff they wanted. It was good enough on its own that I didn't wreck my faction standing with them or the Ecologists by getting into a gunfight with them. While the truce is still on I might head to the Military Complex to the North of Rostok and see what I can find to do around there. After that I'll likely sell a bunch of stuff and relocate to the Skadavosk and see what adventures I can do around that area. I need to see if this game has Nimble making guns again, and whether you can choose what you buy from him this time around.

Edit: The Army Warehouses in Dead Air... My god. If you've got this game and haven't gone there, go check it out.

I mentioned the warehouses in one of my earlier posts. It was perfectly done, especially because I wasn't expecting what I found there and it kept me on edge the whole time. Dead Air really nails the ambiance and atmosphere of the maps.

In Anomaly I'm waiting to find a Clear Sky outfit in good condition so I can wear it as a disguise. Clear Sky dislikes Duty killing Mercs, so I want to see what happens if it looks like Clear Sky is killing Mercs and if it makes those two factions hostile to each other. I'd rather not have to deal with Clear Sky bozos just because of their relationship with the Mercs. Also, don't underestimate the effectiveness of an explosive barrel. I managed to kill about 7 bandits (out of 9) at the cost of 3 bullets. One barrel caused another to detonate and really helped thin out the numbers I was up against.

An idea on where my best chances of finding the tool kits for the mechanics are? I've only found 2 expert kits in stashes, the rest always seem to be a rusty rifle barrel and some busted up ammo and nothing else.

I'm still having issues when playing Anomaly. If the computer is booted up for longer than about a minute, the game simply does not run. I don't get that error sound from Windows and the anomaly splash title screen thing doesn't show up either. The mouse cursor makes the spinning blue wheel for a few seconds then nothing. If I open Anomaly from a fresh reboot, the game runs pretty well. Is there a program or something in Windows that's blocking it from starting? I recall there might have been a funky registry setting that was a problem for CoP. None of my other games have the problem and Dead Air ran every time, so I have no idea what's stopping me from loading Anomaly. It's really doing my head in now.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I've had huge issues with Anomaly. When it works it's great, but I'll experience random crashes and for some reason I can't restart the game unless I reboot my computer. I don't know why, but it won't load if it's not the first thing I click on as soon as my computer reboots. I messaged the dev on ModDB but got no reply.

It's annoying as hell and is why I don't play it anymore.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hello, I am a newbie to this series playing Shadow of Chernobyl for the first time. I have the ZRP mod installed, and so far the game runs smoothly.

I am having some culture shock issues - for example, I die 90% of the time when I engage with an enemy. My pistol seems to do nothing except against dogs, and if I don't aim instantly I'll be dead first. Stuff like that. So I'm trying to work around it by not doing combat and stuff, but...

- I could not get through the railway tunnel without dying, so I went to the military checkpoint instead and shotgunned a soldier to the face so he died, then repeated with the next guy and ran away since I was on the other side. Is... this a valid way to do this quest? I feel weird, like I'm breaking something.

- There are random red dot enemies near the Fox dude you help out by killing a pack of weird dogs. Am I supposed to engage?

For more context I'm still playing Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands so my brain is still in full "an enemy will get a glowing marker above their head when you see them, and you can kill anyone no problem" mode. I'm trying to adjust, haha.

e: Also, how scarce is stuff in this game? If I burn a medkit now, am I screwed later?

I had a friend try out Stalker and he had the same experience as you. He rage quit without even completing the first mission where you save Nimble from the bandits. I think he was so used to games like CoD and expected bullets to go exactly where he was aiming. Because he wasn't getting headshots every time, he quit. Said the game was stupid/dumb/unrealistic and that was it. I'm glad you're sticking with it though!

It's definitely a culture shock for sure. I really appreciated that the starting weapons were utter trash and getting one to fire was a real blessing, and hitting the target was truly a miracle. Even better was that the bandits had the same junk equipment and suffered the same misfires as I did. One of my first gunfights was with a bandit 30 feet away and neither of us hitting each other.

My experience with the checkpoint military has been that you could pass through after paying a bribe once. They always seemed to be hostile whenever I tried to pass through a second time, but that might just be the wonder of the AI programming. Most quests have a definite solution, but nothing is game breaking if a named character dies. I think there's only one or two instances of something affecting the outcome, but the game is fairly explicit in this, you just need to be paying attention. It also means you get a bit of freedom with how you choose to role play.

Resources are scarce initially, because everything is too expensive and you never have enough money. Soon you'll be swimming in everything you need, usually by way of looting bodies. The economy in the game is always broken and mods always seem to really screw the merchant system to give it realism/enhanced difficulty. That's one of the weaker elements of the game, but it's in no way game breaking. It really makes looting your first dirty, broken AK-74 a special occasion, then realising you need to scrape up the money to repair it and keep it fed.

Expect to die a lot and expect the game to be unfair. Also expect frequent crashes. Save often

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Has Anomaly been repackaged to allow all of its files to be unpacked/unzipped? I think when I downloaded it, only certain files/folders were made accessible, and editing them would cause crashes. For some reason I think the creator was looking at making all files available once it was completed.

The mod was fun, but I had to launch it as soon as my computer booted otherwise it would just hang. I'm still not sure why that was happening.

I roleplayed that all the items were just the usual pocket junk people would have, and that there were only really a dozen or so things worth hunting for. The rest got left on corpses. Not understanding how to do my own cleaning and repairing also reduced the amount of garbage I was scavenging.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Is it possible to unpack all of the Anomaly files? I think when I downloaded it, the developer hadn't finished, so certain files/folders were still protected or something. The recent flurry of activity in this thread is giving me that Stalker itch, and I'm keen to play some Anomaly

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Yes. I think you can use the same tools used to unpack the original game files, but its been a while. Even if you dont go that route, you can request specific files in the discord

There's a discord?

I generally like to edit various weapons/armour, and make the merchants more lenient with what they buy/sell

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
So if my understanding of Anomaly is correct, I can't use repair kits to fix armour that's below 40% condition?

Edit: Nevermind, I see there's a heavy outfit repair kit that can repair from 30%, and maybe a heavy armour repair kit that can repair from 20%

Fall Dog fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 8, 2020

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Being able to accompany NPC's on their own missions would be interesting, assuming their pathing didn't get all screwy. I had more fun than expected doing a hostage rescue mission. I saved an ecologist in the swamps, then I also had a mission to clear out a bandit group from a nearby camp. My narrative was that I rescuedthe ecologist, then together we killed his captors.

We also encountered a psi-storm, which killed me the first time around because I was over-burdened (I died just before I made it to shelter), then fought off some chimeras in the swampland north of Agroprom. I finally returned the ecologist to the Yantar lab but had to hurry, as the mission giver seemed determined to become snork food.

The ecologist did bug out when there were anomalies too close to the route. He would stop and just keep throwing bolts, even though there was a clear path around. It meant I had to go a long way through other map checkpoints. Annoying, but manageable at least

If the outfit repair system used icons for suit components that you could replace (assuming you had the correct repair/sewing kits and replacement parts), I think it would work a lot better and maybe be a bit more intuitive. I still haven't found a workbench and the mechanic's vice only lets me tinker with firearms. It could still include the grind of improving the condition of individual components with cloth/oil, etc, because people seem to love that for some dumb reason

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I updated from Anomaly 1.3 to 1.5 and the changes have been quite drastic. Most everything has been a positive change, but there's still a few things that bother me about the settings menu. I'd like a bit more detail about the various features that can be toggled, so my first time playing has also been a bit of experimenting on the fly. It's also spoiled a few things for me, because I wasn't aware you could do things like buy upgraded PDAs to improve the information on the map.

The constant helicopter presence in the Swamp, Cordon and Agroprom are really annoying. It would be nicer if they vanished at least some of the time to refuel/re-arm/whatever. Having them near causes NPCs to bug out and I can never get anything done. I've disable helicopter patrols in the menu, but that didn't removed the helicopters from those maps

I'm enjoying the changes that have been made to the the convoluted repair system of 1.3, though the amount of work involved with cleaning parts seems needlessly drawn out. Having the repair information on the detail screen for the various weapons simplifies things even further, and lets me know what I'll need to repair my weapon before I bribe the technician to access the workbench. I'm not a fan of how few uses you get out of things like the file and ramrod, though I do like that the multitool only uses durability when it's used to service weapon parts. I'd prefer the file and ramrod to be permanent items, which unlocked the repair mini-game for the weapon parts, and oils/solvents/steel wool consumed to improve the part condition. I haven't used a workbench yet, but I'm assuming I can do similar parts cleaning/repairing with outfits, along with weapons? Can you create cleaning kits with enough pocket junk?

Very quickly I've learnt to take only what I need from corpses, because I was forever overburdened. I was happy to find that you can upgrade backpacks to allow you carry more. That's a neat feature. So is letting you use your old backpacks as stashes that never get looted. An auto stack button would be nice.

The disguise system seems a lot more involved in 1.5 than 1.3. I like that you can take a hit to your reputation if you're exposed imitating a friendly faction. It feels like there's also a bit of memory involved, so you can't just swap outfits and expect the guys you were just murdering to be happy to see you. It might be bugged sometimes, because I had one Freedom guy try to murder me on sight, while his buddy was happy to have a chat. I would prefer some sort of on-screen icon to let you know when you're considered disguised. I've just been donning/doffing my outfit until I see the text pop up.

Just completed the underground lab section at Yantar. It really highlights the need to be prepared for whatever may come before you head in but I wasn't a fan of the end section once the emitter is disabled. Everything after that point just felt like an added extra-hard mode for no reason. I know that's not really a fault of Anomaly, but it was frustrating all the same. I'll make sure to get a shotgun so I can deal with mutants more efficiently. I feel like the mutant health might be a little too high. I get that they've probably got tough skin, but I still shouldn't need to hit them in the face 8 times. I had a lot of fun when everyone dies from a couple of hits.

I'm pretty chuffed with the mod so far. The first time I hid from a blowout was incredible. I really enjoyed the sounds that played before and during. If I'm not enjoying it, it's probably more because I've changed the settings to be too lenient.

Was it Dead Air that had really good bleeding effects? I remember playing a mod where I shot a dog and it bled out after a couple of minutes of running around. It was good when shooting NPCs in the limbs as well

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I had to use the console commands to delete the helicopter in Cordon. The damned thing was driving me up the wall.

Is there a reason why some individuals in the Freedom faction have appeared hostile to me, while others have been chill? I was visiting their technician, and a random Freedom soldier decided to shoot at me. I killed them and nobody else seemed to care, even though there were witnesses. On the flip-side, Ecologists (my faction) and Freedom have just declared war on each other, and I'm still seeing friendly Freedom members. Is this because of my individual reputation with them being positive?

I just did my first mission into Monolith territory to rescue a hostage. It's probably been some of the best gameplay I've experienced so far. The hostage was held in the Red Forest map by a guard tower on the south side of the Limansk bridge. The route there via the passage near the abandoned farmhouse in the north of the Army Warehouses map seemed the best choice. I reached a bus shelter and checked my map to come up with a plan, while the sounds of a gunfight were happening not too far away, possibly in the Red Forest itself. As soon as I poked my head around the corner, I was under fire by the Monolith. Dropped one, then my PDA glitched out. Psi-storm was imminent. The only shelter available was the guard tower crawling with Monolith so that wasn't an option. I thought I could cheese the storm by returning to the Army Warehouse map, but I had no such luck. I also had a squad of Monolith appear behind me on my way to the abandoned farmhouse. Dodging the squad, I discovered the farmhouse was occupied by mercenaries, thankfully friendly, that let me take shelter from the impending storm.

The storm hit, and through the noise, I heard the Monolith engaging some Loners that were looking for shelter. The mercenaries took potshots at the loners, which attracted the attention of the Monolith. The mercenaries dropped the attacking Monolith, and the storm finally ended. One last Monolith soldier appeared and the final battle saw the final mercenary kill the remaining Monolith soldier, but not before being severely wounded by the Monolith. I managed to revive the mercenary with a first aid kit, then continue on with the hostage rescue mission.

The hostage rescue mission probably took another 20-30 minutes of game time, because of how intense I found fighting the Monolith. After returning the hostage, I was involved with another running gun battle between Freedom, Monolith, Snorks, and bandits (which also included multiple explosions). It was by extreme chance that I was only lightly wounded, and that lead to a follow-on fight with a Monolith assassination target, and a group of bandits that Duty wanted removed.

The way the combat developed was amazing, and I'm looking forward to more of it. It also demonstrated how well-equipped the monolith are, as well as how effective their camouflage is. I'm actually kind of dreading moving through the Red Forest/Radar areas because of how severely they've wrecked me so far.

Spending dusk/evening watching a bandit camp highlighted the change in their behaviour when night fell. The outer sentries moved into the camp to be around the campfires, which allowed me to sneak into the base to assassinate someone for the Barman. I thought that was a neat touch

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Seems that you're on the right path. I've not played COP, but I'm assuming you can eventually get an upgraded anomaly detector that will also display their location on the device's screen. That makes it a little easier to find any gaps in an anomaly field.

Just completed the quest to disable the brain scorcher in Anomaly. Boy, they're not joking around with the protection timer. I barely made it to where I had to reach, and I can't believe how tense the way out was. It was so much fun fighting my way back out of the lab, especially when it turned into running gun battles. Frequently switching between rifle/shotgun/grenades kept things fresh, and worked really well at stopping anything from flanking me.

That segment was a vast improvement over the dumb corridor section you have to do on the way out of the miracle machine

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Grimthwacker posted:

I gave up on Anomaly (didn't like the "hardcore" stuff and the inflated prices on everything) and went back to my SoC w/ ZRP game. I just got done at Yantar and I realized something: I don't have an artifact detector. Nor does anyone sell any. Is there something wrong?

They may be gated behind faction reputation? I've not played ZRP, so can't give you a definitive answer, unfortunately.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
The X-8 laboratory can go to hell.

My vision is all screwy, there's things throwing themselves at me, mouth-breathing snorks, and a crying kid in my ear.

The atmosphere is pretty great, and the tension wasn't helped by a huge gust of wind that shook the house.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Any idea on who actually sells the upgraded Kevlar plates? I ended up modding it so the head scientist at Yantar sells them.

I just completed the living legend quest line, and it was pretty decent. The most annoying part would have been the friendly AI behaviour, because they would run around and get themselves instantly killed. A lot. Worked out you can tell your party members to wait via the PDA, and I saw a prompt telling me that I could have also used the middle mode button.

I really enjoyed the underground sections against the monolith. Again, lots of ammo and grenades were needed. The Jupiter Underground section is also quite pretty.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

nexus6 posted:

I was pretty sure he was immortal when I did that bit, otherwise that quest would've been next to impossible with how much AI companions love getting shot without taking cover/firing back.

Also they love to steal dropped weapons before you even with looting disabled. I hear the new release stops the AI looting bodies when you get near them.

I failed that quest line the second the party stepped outside the laundromat, because Strelok got perforated by the monolith squad planning an attack on the laundromat building. He also died half a dozen times when I was attempting to breach the NPP. He might have become immortal once inside, but I got fed up by that point. I did notice they could absorb a lot of damage before dying, which was really handy when fighting Eidolon. I never had an issue with them looting, and they were set to 'no looting' by default.

Regular NPCs will loot bodies, but I've not noticed the inventory getting cleared out while I'm working it what did I want to take for myself.

I've found out that Anomaly uses the Alpha hit squads, and I've been dealing with Freedom and Merc squads. I'm doing my best to make every faction wage war on Freedom, as I disguise myself as a Freedom member before any murder sprees. Good times

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
With the newest update of Anomaly, is it available with the fully unpacked .dbb files? I know the one I played only had a small number of files unpacked, which meant editing certain values would cause the game to crash.

I also remember a suit upgrade (Mk2 mesh? cooler?) was present in the data files, but no merchants would sell it.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
For those that are interested, Zero Sievert is now available in early access on Steam.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I've just installed GAMMA after a break from Anomaly for several years. It's taking me a while to get back into the vibe of things. Looking at the controls, I'm able to bring up my PDA, but I only seem to be able to view the map it has at an angle, similar to a detector. I'm guessing I need to upgrade it to have it take up the full screen and allow me to view the different tabs?

So far I've snuck up on a bandit at the Car Park who was neutral to me. Initiated conversation, then discovered he was actually hostile to me. I've managed to put down another three bandits with my starting gear, but haven't been able to do anything useful with the loot I've collected from their bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Kinetica posted:

Use the scroll wheel on your mouse- you’ll need to do it in the opposite direction than you think you do.

That just makes my character cycle through equipped weapons. I'm not sure how to explain it, but when the PDA is out, it only takes up a small portion of the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure if it does this because it's the basic PDA or what. In the control options, there's a number of keybinds for PDA functions that aren't set. Am I supposed to input something there? It seems a bit silly that those controls would be left blank by default and have no instructions included.

Apparently I have to then press 'R' to make the PDA go full screen. Incredible.