Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
I've got a problem in my Misery 2.0.2 save. Some background: right near the start, I went on a quest to the dredge station to get the Altered Wheel artifact for Beard. When you pick up the Wheel and try to leave the dredge station, a stalker called Tuna confronts you and asks you give him the artifact. If you refuse, his friend points a gun at you and he demands the artifact. At this point I ran away back to Skavodsk with both of the stalkers chasing me, without answering their demands either way. I quickly gave Beard the artifact and completed the quest... then Tuna and his buddy showed up and demanded the artifact again, after I'd given it away. Thinking I could trick the game, I said "Sure, take the artifact!" and he wandered off empty handed but satisfied. The problem is that later in the game, Tuna appears back at the bar and sells the artifact to Beard. But since he doesn't actually have the artifact in his inventory, the game crashes immediately when he tries to sell it. Is there any way I can solve this without basically restarting the game? If I gun him down in the middle of the bar to stop him selling the artifact will everyone hate me? Or is there a way to somehow cheat the item into his inventory so the game doesn't crash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
The StalkerSoup mod adds a lot of backstory and detail about the controllers. I think there's a quest line about them, at certain times you find diary entries of former zone inhabitants written as they slowly mutated into controllers and notes from scientists studying them etc. It was all surprisingly well written and translated too. It's definitely a cool addition, but the way the story is implemented in the game makes some parts insanely difficult (every time you move from Garbage to the Bar, you face 1-3 controllers hidden in the vegetation beside the road)

Related: I'm playing through Misery 2.0 for CoP. I was wandering through the zone towards a small factory complex of some kind when I spotted a campfire with a few stalkers standing around - four around the fire, two patrolling nearby. I remember one of the guys by the fire looked a bit bulky from a distance, like he was wearing an exoskeleton or something. I needed some supplies and had a bit of loot to sell so I lower my weapon and walk towards them. As I get closer I notice patrolling stalkers are moving a bit strangely but I didn't think anything of it. I'm getting fairly close to the fire when the bulky guy turns around... I realise it isn't a guy in an exoskeleton, it's a Controller. And the stalkers are all zombies. The controller instantly kills me :geno: This loving game...

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

peskyplumber posted:

Is anyone familiar with Zone of Alienation? I wanted to try out a completely new mod for SoC and not use Oblivion Lost for the millionth time, and it seems ok so far, but I can't seem to reload unless my magazine is completely empty. Is this intentional?

I tried it briefly and it's by far the hardest STALKER mod I've ever played - misery 2, Stalkersoup, OGSE etc have nothing on ZoA in terms of difficulty. Took me about 10 attempts to get through the basic "raid the factory in Cordon, get the flash drive" mission right at the start of the game. Bandits are fast, smart, very tough and have perfect accuracy - and a single hit from any weapon in the game will usually cause you to bleed out in 1-2 seconds. I made it as far as the Garbage then gave up, can't imagine how hard it gets later (might be better once you get some proper armour I guess). It's a shame, because there are some really unique mechanics and the mod has a great feel to it apart from the insane difficulty.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Where can I find these documents? I've always wanted to see the crazy poo poo GSC had planned for the series (and especially CoP) that they had to cut.

The English translation of StalkerSoup / Narodnaya Soljanka definitely has something like this, although I don't know if they are the original documents from GSC. Haven't played it for a while, but among other things I distinctly remember finding several pages from a journal written by a horrified man who was slowly being turned into a controller against his will, then later finding a book of notes taken by the scientists who were performing the experiment. It was surprisingly well done if it was all made up by some random modder (at least, I think it was... as I said, it's been a while since I played that mod)

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

Dramatika posted:

I'm interested in playing these for the first time. How needy is it on clockspeed? I'm running an i5 4670k @ 3.40 ghz, turbos up to 3.8. Should I think about picking up a new cooler to overclock this bad boy with to get good performance, or should I be fine at stock clocks? Running a GTX 760 if that matters, though it sounds like CPU is the real factor here.

Also, when it says RAM hungry in the OP, I should be good with 8gb? I've never had a game actually use that much, is this the one that would push it?

My PC is very similar to yours - apart from Lost Alpha, you should be able to max out the graphics in pretty much any mod and get 50+ fps. If you want to play Lost Alpha, there's a good guide to setting up the graphics options here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo0TCvB8Ipg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
Has anyone here played Oblivion Lost Remake 2.5? Started playing today, it looks amazing... but it seems impossible to find any food in the game, so you fairly quickly run out of energy, become paralysed, start losing health and die. I've restarted the game several times and have so far managed to find exactly one piece of bread, hidden on a high shelf at the back of a heavily irradiated room. None of the traders sell food and none of the stalkers have any in their inventories.

It feels like a bizarre twist on the regular stalker gameplay - in OLR, artifacts are super common but bread and sausages are ultra rare. I've been playing all afternoon and still haven't made it out of Cordon without dying of starvation.