Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
It has been awhile and I wanted to play CoP again. Did they ever unfuck Misery v2 or did they continue down that inane road away from the first version? A million random items and combat not being short and vicious like version one completely turned me away from the initial release.

Or is SGM more stable now? Last time I tried playing 2.2 it was pretty uh...whacky. The mutant wave event and uncle yars quest were still buggy and corrupting and the new zones were unfinished or buggy or something (I recall an item you couldn't actually find.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

AFAIK:
The Misery devs themselves haven't totally unfucked v2,
SGM 2.2 is still completely botty-hosed.

Ddraig posted:

Misery is hosed and will be for the foreseeable future.

Well that blows, I was hoping to play around with something again. I'm a bit tired of the base game and literally don't care at all about all these weapon texture modpacks I keep finding on moddb. Welp!

Monolith. posted:

Misery is one of the most unfun mods besides Zone of Alienation.

Well I fully admit I never found anything quite enjoyable in version two, but besides fiddling with the merchant values in version one, I quite enjoyed that one. I just don't get why they went so far away from that in the second version.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

My favorite new weapon is the flamethrower. Every STALKER game should have one, it makes fighting bloodsuckers so much more satisfying :getin:

SGM has one, it is hilariously broken to the point of downing chimeras and bloodsuckers in under 15 seconds.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Wait. Wait. Where and in what version of SGM can I find this? I only played 2.2 and it was a huge headache at times so anything that lets me burn off some steam in that mod is something I want to get my hands on.

It looks like it may have been moved in 2.2, it isn't where I found it before. I see a couple files for it in the mod, but I have no idea where the game stores item spawn location IDs and/or how to pull that apart to locate it. I want to say that it becomes available to purchase from the special merchant guys at some point in 2.1 but its been awhile. I'm playing through 2.2 at the moment to see if any of the weird crash/save corruption errors I hit in 2.1 are still in so maybe I'll locate it! Barring that I see the lines for it in (I think) the right places in 2.1, I can try dropping it into some of the cache locations if I understand this correctly. I'm sure the people here who actually mod would have a better idea how this works though.

In 2.1, just run south of Yanov station, there is a tent in a little cluster of woods with some anomalies around the front. You gotta kind of peek into the corner to open a sack in there. If you hit the road going over the bridge you went too far. Its a pretty common area for the wandering burers and what not to be around as well. Video I looked at seems to make it even stronger than I recall (pseudogiant to the face, <2 seconds). It is pretty close range though.

E; Somehow I got to the stalker facebook page, it is pretty sweet. The russian LARPer type guys are great.

Also I have no idea how to make images do that expandable thumbnail thing so sorry in advance.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 3, 2014

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Yeah in 2.1 it shows up in the military warehouse stash stuff files, but I deffo found it in the tent the first time I played 2.1. I dunno why I'm not seeing it anywhere when I poke around in the txt files for jupiter though.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Finally had some time to fiddle with stalker again, still SGM 2.2. Is the incredibly opaqueness of the added quests just a translation thing or what? I think this one about bombs mentioned "check where stalkers go" which...is not helpful. It being a translation thing would be why some of the questions showup without titles or information as well I guess?

Also goddamn it I think the noah mutant wave deal still causes some save problems but I'm not completely sure. Gonna find out if uncle yars quest still breaks his pathing after I get done with the clear sky fellows.

Also I still can't figure out why my item stash additions don't work. Do they only generate at the start of the game?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

No, SGM 2.2 is just not an extremely high-quality mod. It adds a ton of content, sure, but some of that content just feels sort of awkwardly jammed in there at best. There's a number of missions that are really opaque and hard to figure out.
I can't help you here, sorry :( If it helps, maybe try doing the Wave after you get the Gauss gun? That's what I did, and I didn't get any save corruption problems.
What, you mean making your own stashes? Again, I can't help much here, but FWIW I remember making my own stashes a couple of times in the late game.

Yeah its definitely not..amazing, but I wanted to hunt alpha squads and try out the new areas. I finally got some of the bombs to show up but these aren't really stalker places. I dunno. As to the wave thing, it didn't do much at completely in 2.1 so I just reverted and didn't bother trying to do it. Just extra stalkers around with extra guns now! Not sure why the gauss rifle kept you safe!

As to the stash thing, I just was trying to add the flamethrower back where it was in 2.1. I'm PRETTY sure I found the jupiter stash it was in (though the stash item listed was only half of what I found), but it doesn't want to show up in there. Its one of the secret ones, but I ended up pasting the flamethrower item stuff into several locations that are boxes and open-world and haven't seen it show up. It shows up in the military base and they sell fuel, so it must still be in the game as a functional item! I dunno whats up with it though.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Greetings, Survivor!
You’ve been selected as a closed-beta-test participant for the MMOFPS Survarium from Vostok Games. Congratulations!

Guess I'll get to see what they've done with themselves later.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Well I played it a bit. Latency doesn't seem to big of a problem late at night from EST, though it seems like shotguns would be a go-to if I could figure out why I can't buy them/gain faction points after joining the scavengers. Can't find a mention of it in the forums there at all, but it occasionally just keeps hanging my computer up for ~45 seconds (especially in the launcher) and will fail to give me back my dude after a round about half the time. Time to do some reports I guess! If they care, anyway. I think I would definitely enjoy it more if it was a bigger pve/pvp thing like dayz sort of has going on.

Also the russians are pretty hilarious when they realize you aren't and start spamming broken english at you.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Yeah I get that, it just doesn't seem to actually complete the missions at the end or something. Or maybe I gotta do something to turn them in and I'm missing it.

Still, bitch to play when it locks up like it has been for me.

e; well then, logged in and it gave me all my completed missions and match rewards. I like the random chance of store cash items, which you can sell off for ingame silver.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 30, 2014

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Did you say anything in english? I had a couple rounds where 2 or 3 russian guys on my team were shooting me on sight after I said a few helpful (guys over on southside, guys on base) things or was delivering parts. Since the matches don't seem to end when parts get filled up I dunno why they killed me over that, but wutevs.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I installed the Anomaly mod today, and it's (like many mods for stalker) a little short on explanation. Or perhaps something went weird in my settings. Do you need an upgraded detector to force visibility on certain anomalies or something? I tried taking the electric Anomaly tunnel in cordon and I can't actually see them anywhere in the tunnel.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Ah so they just... didn't change the little name and pop up text for the tunnel, then. I ended up slamming my face into the bridge camp until I killed the lot instead. It's a little weird having my exploits being broadcast over the radio.

Also Goddamn everything is expensive. I jacked an "okay" exosuit from some bandit pricks and chucked a decent armor/helmet set that needs repairing once I figure that out into a storage bin.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
1.5.1 seems interesting, though I thought it was backwards compatible to saves (maybe it is and I just didn't do something right), but I started a new game with am actual name this time, but still loner. I didn't realize that was an option the first time.

Does the zone seem kind of empty to anyone else? There's a lot of various folks not around like I expected. The bridge path in cordon didn't have any mercs at it for instance. Maybe the defaulted "offline" ai stuff hadn't filled it yet? I guess I'll see in garbage.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

Some other changes that I've noticed:

They reduced the type of bad ammo to just old ammo now. It's still annoying clutter to me so I'm waiting for an add-on to update that removes it entirely.

the ability to adjust how many concurrent quests you can take on from a quest giver at any given time.

Mutants seem to be tweaked a little. Psydogs appear to generate psy-fields and not just create hallucinations of themselves. Controllers

The ammo I kind of noticed, but I was WONDERING what the hell the psy effect I kept dodging away from in the wild was. I definitely tweaked the quests up just so I didn't have to cross half the Zone to do one quest.

Fosson posted:

I thought the same thing and saw that the default was .5 stalkers and .75 mutants. When I started it said like 430 people in the zone, and starting in Cordon was maybe groups of 2-3z

I got an Anomaly add-on pack tonight which I had to start a new game for (worth it, holy poo poo) and I bumped stalkers up to .75 to start. Immediately saw the difference, Elevator had some bandits scurrying about and raising hell, Farm had 5 stalkers chilling at the fire alone...so far this change has been gaming nirvana haha

Maybe I need to tweak the population settings and start a new game, it says it takes awhile but I jacked it all the way up and not much has changed yet. It's so lonely out there...and so few dudes to murder for their equipment.

I'd also be interested in that modpack you grabbed, the only one I looked at was iffy and not updated yet.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

which pack are you using? Or at the very least, which addon is allowing you to increase number of stalkers?

There's a population thing in the Anomaly settings: The Zone > General and stalkers population factors.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Fosson posted:

Sorry for the delayed response, but I grabbed Nekro's Addon Pack from the Anomaly Addon list.

i thought it might be, thanks!

Appoda posted:

I'm personally ok with the overworld being on the sparse side for stalkers, especially when it comes to generally negative factions like monolith and merc, but it never feels right when communal hubs are just the vendors and maybe 1-2 guys.

I kind of agree yeah. When there's an emission the skadosk (sp?) Is basically empty it's kind of disappointing. I don't need a thousand dudes but the occasional non-monolith squad would be nice, especially since i go out of my way to try to keep those guys numbers down and from wrecking everyone else. Seeing fires with dudes hanging out at night is just aesthetically pleasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I got bored ages ago with anomaly and just dropped it due to all the fiddly bits and somewhat unclear mechanics or bugs therein. Is it or...is the eft mod just the same or a branch? I was considering SGM again to see if anything has changed as well. I'm disappointed yet again over misery, I enjoyed most of the initial 1.0ish stuff but it's just a.slog now. As in all, just let me sell the junk I hauled in, even if it's trashed. Come on!

I may give the vanilla a run through with some minor modding (sell everything, maybe atmosfear or similar, etc). Anything of note come out in the last year or so?