Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This tier 2 is gonna kill me. That is if STALKERs infamous bugginess and hard crashes kills me first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah I just found another T3 kit *sigh*

Speaking of artifacts, I haven't found a single one with my Veles. The only artifact I've seen in the whole game was the weird secret one in Jupiter past the puzzle. Do they not spawn in anomalies any more?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Less than 10 minutes after I make that post I finally catch an artifact, and I've caught like 4 already.

Also I'm getting horrible FPS drops when entering certain areas, and I want to say it's because of corpses. I have my Warfare settings set to "large squads" which is fun an dandy. But corpses stick around for an insane amount of time. Red forest has around 30-40 monolith corpses in a small area. Getting into a certain range of the corpses causes my FPS to go to <10. But oddly I'm silky smooth at >60FPS when I'm *at* the mass grave looting madly.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Late game Warfare starts getting a bit out of hand:

-I was doing some random tasks at Rookie Village and the game spawned 6 pseudogiants and a healthy dose of wild dogs before my very eyes. luckily I happened to be decked out from recent trading and had kg's of ammo to burn through. everyone but the essential npc's were murdered though.

-Strangely, the whole faction wars thing breaks sometimes. A Freedom dude in my squad kept killing Ecologists I was hanging out with. He'd engage in the weird combat maneuvering with the crouching and moonwalking while incessantly firing his rifle and yelling blabber. The ecologists would still be chilling out around the campfire like nothing was happening until he started looting. They'd incapacitate him and then wait for another Freedomer to heal him. Then he'd go back to killing Ecologists unrestrained until the Ecologists decided it was enough again. This repeated until he died properly.

-Upon entering Rostock/Bar, 50-60 mutants ranging from dogs to psuedogiants to beta-zombies, boars, fleshes, psuedodogs were all coagulated in some unholy ball of hate terrorizing the perimeter guards. because they were all so confined, sometimes mutants would collide and catapult into the air skyrim style. I was seriously upset at myself for not having more than 2 grenades, because those things clear mutantballs with industrial efficiency.

-Fought with Monolith troops at Red Forest but this time they had miniguns and the revolver-style grenade launchers. They're worryingly durable at this stage and unless I switch th AP ammo, they can usually shrug off a headshot from my sniper rifle. I think I need something in AO3 that is upgradable with mechanics and strong enough to reliably deliver fatal headshots with regular ammo. Wolf/the weird trader guy in Rookie Village sold me a crazy giant sniper rifle with max damage but just 10 bullets are $9.5k (???)

-Faction takeovers happen pretty quickly now. I'm still figuring out how to directly command squads and bases efficiently, but I ended up letting the game autopilot it because my Freedom homies got kicked out of their home by Mercenaries and Ecologists(??). So far the two winning factions with the most ground are Loners and Monolith. Duty is all but exiled from the zone, while Ecologists hold a surprisingly robust amount of land. Its bizarre to see the Ecologists on radio chat talking about executing captured soldiers.

-Arena fights are fun and good because Warfare rules apply within. Some of the later rounds involve teams but everyone is hardwired to kill each other anyways. Twice I've hidden in some corner while the AI duke it out.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Jehde posted:

I am cautiously cautious.

Yeah this can't be said enough. Even if it somehow reaches completion I can't imagine heavily modified Xray to allow for a smooth experience.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I think i'm finally getting weary of my favorite FPS series ever. I tried coming back a few months ago to Call of Chernobyl, but I think I lost the patience for the jank, engine crashes, ridiculously lucky AI, and just all the other weirdness that comes with the series. Hoping Call of Misery will rekindle the flame. Maybe im just getting old and crusty, but the patience with jank isnt what it used to be.

I'm totally jealous of people experiencing the series for the first time. I've been chasing that atmospheric-horror high since 2012.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Gobblecoque posted:

One thing that STALKER absolutely nails is lighting and shadows, even compared to big budget games released today. I usually don't much mind low res textures and models but skimping on lighting can really kill a game's visuals.

The other half of the equation seems to be sound design. Its nowhere near DICE as far as explosion, gunshots, and echos go, but all the little things of crickets chirping, the occasional blind dog howling in the distance, wind blowing when you crest a hill...its all really good. I feel like other modern AAA games have that and more, but I don't know why it works in Stalker much better? Maybe because you're actively listening for things that might creep up on you?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Jehde posted:

There was some interview somewhere with GSC World when Cossacks 3 came out that was basically "Is STALKER 2 still a thing?" "If we get the money to do it, yes."

I'd break my no-crowdfunding rule to help GSC World make Stalker 2, provided its the same people working on it of course. I feel like they've already been suggested that a handful of times though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
As much as I appreciate metro as a AAA-budget Stalker, it's hardly as scary or immersive to me. Those two things are most of the appeal to me in the series.

Dang it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Jehde posted:

The killer for me is that it's going to be lacking a lot of what makes STALKER feel like STALKER, anomalies, artifacts, etc. Should still be a fun enough different thing though.

Anomalies were cool as an immersion/storytelling thing but I never cared for them further than that. I did like the gameplay in CoP the most though because of the general difficulty. Even with mid-level gear, you were still ultimately as expendable as any other bandit. My fondest memories of the game (which was modded, to be fair), was baiting armor-clad enemies into mutants and using the ensuing distraction to lob grenades or pick people off from a distance. I dont think the rewarding gameplay is gonna be there.

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 6, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Sooo...what’s there to do in Call of Misery? It seems like CoC but harder and less things to do. Does faction warfare work on it?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Does anyone have the controller-butt comic?

You know the one I’m talking about.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

frajaq posted:

I'm about to play the GOG version of Call of Pripyat, is there anything else I need to download or is this version good to go?

Any mods? CoP is the one Stalker game that's very functional out of the box. I'd probably install a weapon sound mod because vanilla weapon sounds are noticeably awful.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I havent touched Lost Alpha since it came out eons ago but I have around 10 hours in Lost Alpha Directors Cut and its pretty good so far. Its nice seeing a lot of areas reimagined but still functionally similar. Lake Yantar is really pretty and feels like an actual place. New bar area is cool, though still controlled by Duty. Garbage was probably the strangest redesign and could probably use some (more) downsizing? Darkscape has an atmospheric dockyard. All in all, the maps feel well mad and interesting. The Sin faction is a little oddball though. A second, less interesting version of Monolith. Their apparent leader is a butterfaced goon which is funny.

As for the negatives, I hate how bullet spongy everything is. Ammo feels scarce because even lowly Flesh herds require silly amount of ammo to take care of. A casual search of moddb doesn't show any weapon damage fixes. Would you guys have any suggestions? Its my primary gripe with the game but seems like one of the easier things to fix. That and some missions appear to be stealth based? Given how Stalker handles stealth, they go as poorly as you'd expect. Luckily the few i've failed seemed to be sidequests. A mod author made a suggestion on how to complete one of them which he basically said "study the map! create rolling saves. this takes 30 minutes if you do it right!" He must have been drinking the Misery koolaid.

That all said, its a really fun mod and feels refreshing. Apparently the ending for this game has a really stupid way of summarizing the plot, but Stalker has been more about the universe than the story for me. We'll see!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

Arsenal Overhaul and increased Damage are what I'd recommend.

Does AO even exist for Lost Alpha? I didnt see it in the mod addons page. I think im also going to download the Extended Pack since that apparently fixes some of the damage values. http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/addons/extended-pack-for-lostalpha-dc-14005

More weapons would be cool too though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
welcome to the nonsensical world of stalker friend

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Does AI in any Stalker game or mod have to manage ammo? I'm going through Lost Alpha right now in bandit country and these guys are dumping a hailstorm of lead on me, constantly. Luckily they have to reload at seemingly correct intervals, but its as if they're supplied by some magic ammo fairy.

Also I deduct a handful of respect points when I see a mod where there's blowouts added, but AI doesn't actually get affected by them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I was looking up some things for my Lost Alpha DC run and I ran into this :stare:

Using a wiki to bitch about mod drama comes off as really embarrassing

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I'm playing Lost Alpha DC with the Extended Pack...and I'm surprised its not discussed more here. It's actually incredibly fun. Anyone else play it recently?

Now that I got a setup that has fixed gun damage values, I can say that maybe the maps are too large? Fast travel NPCs are nice, but I'm getting some minor Farcry 2 vibes with how much running around I'm doing. Havent bought a vehicle yet. I get the impression keeping track of it in a game like this would be more trouble than its worth?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Appoda posted:

I recently started playing Lost Alpha for the first time with the "DLC" addons and I've mostly been enjoying it; lot of weird takes but also a lot of neat ideas like the PDA network stuff. Anyways, enemies feel bullet-spongier than ever, and I'm playing on Master difficulty -- is there something I can do to raise damage or lower health values without poking at dozens of individual weapon/creature files? Damage in these games never feels quite right, but I err on the side of quicker fights when it comes to the standard fare enemies.

Yeah it comes with the territory unfortunately. You made the right move by installing the Extended Pack (if thats what you mean), since it reduces overall bullet sponginess and eases the economic reins so you can afford (and carry) extra ammo. Unless there's a mod that complements that mod of Lost Alpha, i'm all ears too.

e: boars are probably the worst thing about that issue honestly. There's plenty of them and they have a pretty large aggression radius. And bleh, they still take a ton of ammo.

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 22, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Are there any other faction war mods besides CoC's (hardly updated) Warfare?

(And also besdies the super buggy TFW mod for CS which never worked for me)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

timn posted:

Is there some secret to actually getting poo poo going in CoC? Quests keep asking me to hustle to the other side of the zone for a few thousand RU payoff, most vendors have literally nothing for sale, locations I explore generally have nothing to loot, and I have yet to find a single artifact in an anomaly even after I was lucky enough to snag a detector off a dead NPC. Is this one of those games where you have to let enough time pass for the world simulation to get off the ground? Or is it actually supposed to be this slow and barren?

I like the idea of stitching together all of the maps into a huge open world scenario, but after a few hours of trying I just went back to vanilla CoP so I could actually do anything.

There’s even less to do in CoM because as far as I know faction Warfare isn’t implemented. Its a real letdown.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

my bony fealty posted:

Last Day is pretty poo poo though. I like Misery these days and really like Call of Misery, but couldn't get into Last Day - it seems tweaked to be as annoying an experience as possible. Git gud, I know, I know...

Whats the appeal of CoM? I want to like it because I cant get enough cheekin and breekin, but it seems like CoC with even less things to do since Warfare isnt compatible.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Lost Alpha is a ton of fun, but I highly recommend using the teleportation cheat when some quest giver decides to send you 3 level transitions away to find his car keys.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
The only time I felt that stealth really worked in Stalker was with Misery 2. Also apparently using bushes for stealth doesn’t quite follow videogame logic because enemies can easily hear the leaves being rustled, and that’s a trigger for them to start looking.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

AndrewP posted:

Thanks! I eventually just stopped trying and killed everyone. Which doesn't seem to really fit with the story and mood of the game but whatever.
I wish mods adopted the "spotted" and "noise made" indicator from vanilla CoP. Yeah it doesn't fit in with most mods looking for realism and (padded) difficulty. I think being able to actually "stalk" would be a net gain over my immersion/difficulty lost with a visual indicator.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
It’s a weird world when asking for a singleplayer experience is seemingly too much.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Bob NewSCART posted:

Has there been any decent “complete” mods to come out in the past while? I say complete for lack of a better word because the base game is hard enough for me without turning everything up to masochism levels

Have you tried Lost Alpha Developers Cut? There’s enough thrown in there that it feels like a breath of fresh air. Doesn’t feel masochistic by any means either.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

aniviron posted:

This is the feeling I get too. Between the three-years-away date and gutting of GSC personnel, I'm not sure how excited I should be. Three years is a lot of time for poo poo to go wrong, and we don't know if anyone who worked on the original games and made them great is still there.

Im happy with this announcement, and hopefully all the other failed stalker-like projects show this mystery-dev team what not to do. im basically staying cautiously optimistic until 2021 assuming the game isnt canned by that time or pitched as a collectible card game.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Jehde posted:

Reminder that GSC is a shell of what it used to be. A lot of things need to line up for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 to release and be a good game. Reserving my hype for now.

Provided Stalker 2 actually gets released, I think there's a large possibility it fails to keep the spirit of the original series and either goes the action-Metro 2033 route. Or, it ends up following the siren song of whatever short-lived gaming trend is occurring in 2021.

It doesn't seem like a hard task to accomplish. I'd basically gobble up Stalker 2 if it was just more maps and modern graphics. But on the other hand, it seems like videogame companies really love rolling in the mud of other failed games and expecting their take to be different.

buglord fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 16, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Clear Sky wouldn't have been so bad if the game didn't try its hardest to prevent me from completing it. I had so many broken questlines and doomed save files. The other game that refused to let me beat it for the same reasons was GTAV.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Appoda posted:

I know what you're talking about, but I can't remember what the heck I did about it. To me it always felt like the game was doing a dice roll in the background to decide whether or not I get hit; and if hit, it picks from visible body parts, which usually includes the head if you're looking at 'em. Sometimes only the head, if you're in good cover.
Christ this is the best explanation for the insanity this game has subjected me to for the past 6 years.

Also, for people getting into Lost Alpha, absolutely play it. It's really enjoyable and feels fresh. Yeah it kind of diverges from Stalker lore, but the universe is still stalkery and creepy. If you do install lost alpha, dont hesitate to use teleport cheats. Some of the maps are ridiculously huge and maze-like. You will burn yourself out, probably before you get your first car. I like to think that the teleport cheats are balanced, because the maps are also littered with artifacts that you'll miss out on. When I get poor, ill start walking across maps since walking basically earns you money.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
instead of a buddy it's a snork dragging you into a den.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Save often in different slots with CS. Never have I played a game so unwilling to let me beat it. Lot of game breaking glitches around.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Does OGSE have weapon upgrade dudes? It doesn't seem fleshed out like CoP or CoC. I really miss the upgrade trees :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Lack of upgrades almost kill the game for me. But this mod is still funny and whacky like I remember. Was this the same mod that had autoturrets a few versions ago? You know, the kind with laser accuracy and sniper range that tore through your armor before instalkilling you?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Can’t help you there but my favorite thing about SGM are the alpha squads. In early game there’s like maybe 4 guys in kitted out late-game gear. Eventually they’ll start power creeping and you’ll see 12 of them around a campfire, with all sorts of ridiculously powerful firearms.

I remember luring packs of dogs onto them and picking off members one by one with a sniper rifle while chucking grenades to disperse them out of cover.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
As far as performance goes, what settings affect it the most in Anomaly? My bougie self is trying to maintain +100FPS on 1440p. I remember there were some settings that tanked FPS for little/no visual quality hit. So far I noticed that grass density and render hits pretty hard.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I turned up stalker spawns to 1.0 in anomaly but it seems like its gonna take some time to get everything populated. right now im sort of let down with how sparse everything is. Lost Alpha felt much more alive than this. Are you guys playing on story mode or warfare mode? I wonder if the latter is finally feature complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Stalker Anomaly 1.5 beta impressions that nobody asked for:

I really like and dislike it. I didn't really know this was a misery-like going into it. I played Misery 1 multiple times, but I dropped out of Misery 2 because of all the item bloat. This is somehow worse. I have to break down armor into cloth using destructive tools that have limited use to combine into a 3 item recipe which degrades the toolkit being used to make it. I get that this fits well into the stalker universe since scrap is king in the Zone. Gameplay wise, it would be cool if they did away with these zillion pieces and allowed you to break down things into generic armor scrap or weapon scrap. 30 armor scrap allows you to build an armor support frame or something. Collecting tools for mechanics is worse now because you need to collect like, 7 of one tier to give to one mechanic in order to unlock basic upgrades, but those also require you to hand make trinkets in addition to paying the fee. There's an annoying amount of extra steps added to everything, and I cant help but feel one of the devs was definitely on the spectrum.

The saving grace: most of this can be ignorable through in-game settings or submods:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons/itemless-upgrades removes the item requirements for upgrades
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons/no-upgrade-tools-for-technicians-anomaly-15 removes all tool requirements
The latter might be cheaty, but come on, 7 basic tools?

The other problem I had was a barren world. But following v1ld's advice, I set stalker spawn value to max (1.0) in the in-game settings and started a new game. It feels just right. Default values make the hubs feel dead and useless. Another big positive is being able to mitigate battery drain with the in-game settings and turn on fast travel. My biggest complaint with the stalker megamods that merge all 3 games is that getting around takes forever. Fast travel means I can actually be playing the game and not hold W for minutes on end as i sprint across maps I've been on dozens of times. Fantastic choice to put that setting in-game.

Oh yeah, and damage values - they're good. Cloth bandits drop with a pistol headshot, fully armored guys take a bit more so they still remain dangerous. mutants have the largest health pools but this is the only mod where mutants aren't bullet sponges. Controllers can be dispatched with a few well placed rifle headshots, ditto with the magic dwarf guys that use force fields. No more lobbing multiple grenades and going through entire magazines of ammo.

tl;dr: stupid design decisions making things hard/tedious for no reason, but almost all of it can be tweaked/removed in-game or with submods. excellent damage values - something that few stalker mods get right imo. fast travel option is a godsend and I wont be able to play a stalker megamod without that again.

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 17, 2019