Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I just started lost alpha, Sidorovich sent me to rescue Fox but I heard a gunshot and failed the mission as soon as I passed the overpass, the Sin guys in the house all just let me shoot them in the face without resistance, and now I'm not sure how I can advance the plot. Did I miss something or what? I installed the AI patch.

Replacing xr_combat_ignore.script with the original version fixed that issue with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gggiiimmmppp posted:

is this a thing I can swap out mid-save or do I need to start over

I just swapped it in mid playthrough and it still works fine.

http://pastebin.com/v4rxDRxf

Just replace your old file's contents with these and save, it should stop them from killing Fox as soon as they spawn in. Fortunately, with the rest of the tweaks the AI has still been very gun-ho about shooting me when they're supposed to.

Rookersh posted:

So what is Lost Alpha anyway? Does it reuse a ton of the SoC plot? Lots of locations? Or does it feel like a wholly different game with a different storyline. Getting the urge to play Stalker again, and trying to figure out if I should just play SoC or Lost Alpha.

It's a project that, as far as I know, started out as an attempt to recreate and flesh out the alpha builds of the first game, and ended up being its own little stand alone thing. I just got to the bar, and so far it's very similar yet at the same time different than SoC. So far the only area I've gotten to that is the same as SoC is Agroprom. Cordon, Garbage, The Bar, all have similar elements to their SoC versions, but at the same time feel and look very different. It's a cool and surreal experience. Unfortunately A-LIFE and the AI in general is in a pretty questionable state at the moment, a lot of the levels are pretty empty and there are a ton more scripted sequences in the kind of dumb and bizarre plot.

It's worth trying out if you want some new STALKER content, though, but I wouldn't recommend playing this to someone who's starting the franchise for the first time. I feel like it sort of expects you to have played through SoC first.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 3, 2014

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

So I guess I ran into a fun bug. The passcode I was given by the game to get into X-18 was wrong.

Acquire Currency! posted:

I dunno I saw some cool things the AI was doing. On my way out of the bar a pack of blind dogs started rushing me. I got ready to fight em off but they ran pass me and went after a group of fleshes nearby. The only odd thing I've seen was a completely visible poltergeist hanging around the forest.

Almost every single one of my gunfights has ended with an NPC throwing a grenade at his feet. Granted, the fights beforehand were pretty good, but there's nothing like having a 30 minute gunfight end with a guy's body flying out of the darkness as his own grenade detonates.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I wasn't really sure why I was seeing people say that they didn't like Lost Alpha, but I think I'm about half way through X-18 right now and I can totally understand. Unskippable awkward cutscenes and monster closets in Stalker? Sick. It's not enough to make me stop playing if only because I enjoy the new content, but it really takes away from what makes these games great.

floor is lava posted:

I'm starting to think that any graphics setting above plain static lighting is keeping the time of day and weather from changing.

It is broken, but easily fixed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2IUe5MgSdC2OVNKUUtWQzRaVFE/edit?usp=sharing

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

floor is lava posted:

The pacing in Lost Alpha is pretty terrible. You go from using scraps in the first map to having more ammo than you could ever use and more than a dozen artifacts in the second.

To be fair this is pretty much how Stalker games have always worked. If I'm remembering right it took about five minutes in CoP to get an end game weapon just by running to a stash, and SoC lets you buy pretty high end weapons in Cordon if you care enough.

My biggest problems with LA are the really bad scripted sections and the lack of any traveling stalkers. The pacing has seemed about par for the course so far.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

NeoSeeker posted:

I did try it. Something about it turned me off to it though. Maybe it was just being buggy and I'd had enough at that point cause I already played the poo poo out of redux, disappointingly.

I'll give it another go though. Stalker never gets old, it just gets a bit worn out at times.

You may also want to try MSO - it's an updated version of one of the base mods of redux. It adds quite a few new NPCs to the game (Monolith squads spawn in the Jupiter plant, Stalkers show up in Pripyat, for example), and you can change the respawn rate so that new squads pop up once every 30 minutes, as well as increasing how quickly NPCs will move around the map.

As for making the gunplay more "realistic" and removing bullet sponges, have you just not played on Master?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Scyron posted:

edit; oh right, LA has a standalone release now, that doesn't require stalker installed. Is that the prime choice, to play that mod? Seems like a silly question but I just installed CoP and would rather just traditionally mod it to be LA if I can, if only to save on downloading.

I wouldn't pick up Lost Alpha right now. It was released early because of a leak, not because it's finished. For the past couple of weeks a major patch requiring a full restart has been looming and being delayed because the team is constantly adding more fixes and additions and won't release it until they're satisfied. It's probably best to try LA after that patch.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nexus6 posted:

Call of Chernobyl trip report. Is it just me or are the textures a bit 'meh' compared to other mods?

Also, the game crashed after two minutes in. So far, so STALKER :P

Absolute Nature and other texture mods work with CoC, but I'm not sure if AN covers everything in the mod. Bumping up AF in your card's control panel should go a long way, too. The game looks pretty decent on my end after some tweaking.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ddraig posted:

If you haven't already, go to your gamedata folder and delete atmosfear_options.ini

It's slightly bugged and causing weird visuals.

Is this different than resetting the lighting under the Atmosfear menu in game?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Elth posted:

I started a game as Military, took a very tense trip through the garbage where I had to defend a tiny barracks from encroaching bandits during an emission, made some friends from Duty and headed to the bar.

The door greeter pointed his gun at me, shouted "I SAID COME IN" and then all hell broke loose. I ended up slaughtering all of the bar's inhabitants in the tiny corridor as they trudged through single-file. After the fight, I walked up to the barman, and he ran around the bar and punched me in the face, prompting my Duty buddy to put him down.

:psyduck:

I had a similarly interesting experience getting punched by Freedom members in the Jupiter train station, followed by an intense firefight while none of the other patrons blinked an eye.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dvsilverwing posted:

at this point people might as well start making mods for COC itself instead.

That's basically the idea behind COC.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Robot Randy posted:

Enemies seem to be mostly blind in CoC. I was able to clomp around on the other side of a room full of high speed low drag kielbasa operators without any of them noticing. Unless something is hosed up with the lighting and everything was a lot darker than it looked, I think something is wrong. I didn't turn on the Hardcore aim setting because I thought it would be a bunch of bullshit 1 hit kill snapshots, but it looks like I might need to

It really depends. Sometimes I have military guys spot me from way before they even register on my map and one shot me, other times they just stand there and let me shoot them one by one without reacting. It's strange.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I feel like CoC would be much more enjoyable if the omniscient death helicopters didn't turn hostile to you the second a military member sees you, weren't omniscient, or just didn't exist at all. It's really frustrating in the Cordon where there are occasionally snipers positioned on the bridge who can spot you from really far away, at which point the helicopter beelines directly for your rear end to destroy all fun.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Taffer posted:

Thanks. Anything else? I saw people complaining about wonky weapon damage and empty areas.

The only area that kind of sucks from what I've seen is Darkscape, everything else is just bad luck with A-Life. People complaining about weapon damage should use the OWR addon, which you can grab from CoC's moddb page.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Missing Name posted:

Tried to explore Wild Territory

:(

I can't move from Yantar to the Bar. I'm trying to go the other way now.

If you're using Ddraig's latest patch, I'd roll back if possible. I was getting crashes using it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Minarchist posted:

I've only found one PKMG for sale by the guy in the Duty base and he wanted 30,000 RU for it. I'm tempted to cap Wolf and steal his but he seems like such a nice fellow :(

Also has anyone found an RPG yet? I see the warheads for sale all the time but never a tube to go with em. I just managed to scrape up 17K for a decent psi helmet after blowing god knows how much money on gear and upgrades so maybe it's time I go north and hit the Brain Scorcher?

There's an RPG in X-18, and Monolith soldiers carry PKMs pretty frequently, you can find them up north. The CoP areas are all open prior to disabling the brain scorcher, so if you want to grab one you can just hike up through Red Forest and then wander around Jupiter and Zaton until you find it.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 7, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Minarchist posted:

Do emissions not recharge anomalous areas anymore? Seems like when I pick em clean even with a Veles detector...they stay dry.

I've noticed the same thing. Artifacts respawn very slowly or not at all, I can't think of a single anomaly that I've been able to hit twice.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Justin Time! posted:

I hope to god it gets released AND ported to CoC post haste.

Along with a port of Lost Alpha's maps and an implementation of The Faction War's features.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Justin Time! posted:

After installing the A-life mod I seem to be noticing a lot more people, like the rookie village finally has a respectable amount of people and I frequently encounter soldier dudes and bandits, and huge bands respawn in just a few days. Maybe it's just confirmation bias though.

Check out Wild Territory with the A-Life mod, it's loving nuts. Mercs and mutants everywhere. The CoP maps still feel very empty, sadly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

baromodo posted:

If CoC is standalone, I don't particularly want to download and reinstall CoP from Steam just to install CoC (though CoP has been installed on my machine before). Does the registry key hang around after uninstalling? If not, is there a key I can add manually or is there no way around this?

From what I understand the key does stick around.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

v1ld posted:

Speaking of factions, Alundaio posted this to the CoC forum: http://forum.epicstalker.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=413.

I have a lot of free time on my hands and would love to gently caress around with this, but I have no clue what half of the smart terrains correspond to and I'm not 100% sure how to figure out. Would that be something the SDK would help with?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There's an interesting hangup when trying to implement faction war type stuff in the great swamp. Apparently the Ecologists control the Clear Sky main base, presumably because Doc is an Ecologist. I don't know how to change his faction, and if I kill him then the base just goes over to Stalkers. :v:

e: I just remembered that Guide is hanging out in the Csky base, too. I'll have to try killing both of them.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 12, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ddraig posted:

Faction War stuff works on the basis that the last person inside it determines who controls it. So if Doc is left alive, he'll be considered the 'controller' of that smart, so only ecologists will spawn, as ecologists are considered the owners. Likewise if Doc is killed and it's only stalkers left, then that means it's stalker owned and similar rules will apply.

If you want to change Doc's faction affiliation, you can open up character_desc_marsh.xml in configs/gameplay. Doc is the first character listed, just change "ecolog" to "stalker" or whatever.

Thanks, man. I figured that that was the problem. Guide is also set as a Stalker, so I guess that they'll both just have to become members of Clear Sky for that to work out.

Do you also know how to disable the military helicopters for certain maps? They're kind of a killjoy in the swamps as the military inevitably death marches the entire map.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

So can I help monolith take control of the entire zone?

This is one of the things I want to have made possible so, so very badly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ddraig posted:

Certain smart terrains spawn helicopters. These are:

agr_smart_terrain_1_6_near_2.ltx (Agroprom)
ds_deb1.ltx (Darkscape)
esc_smart_terrain_4_13.ltx (Cordon)
katacomb_smart_terrain.ltx (Hospital)
lim_smart_terrain_7.ltx (Limansk)
mar_smart_terrain_8_9.ltx (Swamps)

Just remove the spawn_heli sections in any level you want to disable the helicopters in.

Oh, I thought that they would have spawned in one of the military smarts. :downs:

Thanks, you've been a big help.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I think I'm too dumb/lazy to do that.

It's actually pretty easy, hypothetically, but in practice I'm not sure if I've got things working correctly. I have a bunch of smart terrains marked as being faction controllable, but I'm also not at all sure if any of the spawns are working correctly, especially in bases with a lot of static NPCs like traders. Nothing seems to ever spawn at them, it's quite odd.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ddraig posted:

Here's a COC pro tip. As far as I'm aware hardly anyone, not even the Russians, know about this yet.

By default, the alife simulation in COC is limited. If you've spent any amount of time with the debug hud, you may notice that certain smart_terrains are "deactivated"

This is because, by default, the alife simulation is only run on the level you're on and any levels that connect to it. So if you're in the darkscape, alife will update there, in the Cordon and in the Garbage.

Most people won't notice this.

However, you can disable this 'feature' with a very simple binary change:

Open _g.script (in the gamedata/scripts folder)

At the top there's a variable "DEACTIVATE_SIM_ON_NON_LINKED_LEVELS"

Set this from true to false. Now the alife simulation will be run on every single level, from the Cordon right up to the Generators. This means that potentially you could have a badass Monolith squad that eventually makes its way down from Limansk/Pripyat or whatever all the way down to the Cordon on its own.

It's disabled by default because, to quote Alundaio:

"This is done to alleviate the performance issues with having hundreds of active squads and smart terrain updates"

Try at your own risk, I guess.

Isn't one of the big features of AMK that it does basically this? Because that's a very limiting factor of the whole faction war functionality. I guess I'll try it out and see what happens, I was hoping that this was possible.

e: Yeah, I'm not seeing a big impact here on a 4670k. I guess it's disabled for potatoes. There's some initial stuttering for a few seconds when the entire game world is populated, and then it's fine after that.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 12, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ddraig posted:

AMK's version is actually contained in a single script. It's all done with scripted magic, I believe. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but as I recall it basically catalogs every single object in the Zone, splits them up into mutants, stalkers and lootable containers and basically runs basic "simulations" between them. I can't remember if it's when they would encounter each other in an offline scenario, or if it forces the situation somewhat, but the end result is that offline stalkers would be marked dead, or given extra loot, based on the outcomes of those simulation. When you encounter them (they're online) they'd either be dead, in a certain location, or have extra gear given to them, and this combined with the "news" function that printed the result of those outcomes, and you filling in the gaps yourself, gave the illusion of a very complicated thing going on.

I guess I might have ruined a bit of the magic, but very few mods have actually managed to that. I don't really think COC even does it.

That's pretty much what other large scale games like the X franchise do. They're split into in system, 3D space with complicated physics and collision, and out of system space where it's basically just a spreadsheet. That's fine and it works pretty well.

After loving around with it some more, it seems like turning on all map simulation is giving me a few seconds of stuttering on save/load and zone transitions, so just any time the world re-initializes. That's fine for me, and is especially worth it to make the faction war type stuff as good as it can be. It's more or less no worse than a few seconds of what CoP was like at release for me.

I just pray to god the faction controlled spawns are actually working. I still don't think that I've seen it happen yet.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

What do red smart terrains indicate? I'm starting to get into CoP maps and those are showing up quite a bit in random places.

Ddraig posted:

(can't remember who this is, definitely a Duty dude, though),

It's the GET OUT OF HERE STALKER guy.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ddraig posted:

I think red smart terrains are ones that are set up to be bases.

That doesn't quite add up, some bases are green while some random rear end spots on the CoP maps are red. They seem like they may be tied to the game's plot, but who knows.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I feel like the faction war AI would go much further if it prioritized proximity more. At the start of the game, with the current spawns I'm using, Clear Sky controls the bottom third or so of the Great Swamp and has about three active squads. One of them is occupying territory in the swamp, the other two are loving off to secure a route to the NPP. Like, that's great and all, but their values for the swamp are way higher than any of the ones near the heart of the zone, yet away they go.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I seem to be getting a constant issue with simulation.ltx not actually spawning all, or even most of the stalker squads specified within it. Anyone know what's up with that? I seem to be having some issues with spawning overall.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah, Ddraig, for whatever reason I'm not noticing any differences with simulation.ltx. From what I understand that determines what squads exist when an area is loaded for the first time, but even with a fresh install of CoC + your mod 2.0 and the appropriate alife files nothing pops up. I'm only getting the spawns tied to smart terrains.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ddraig posted:

fill_start_position is only called on a new game start. It's tied to an on_register callback for the actor, which is called once you start a new game, I believe.

So any changes to the start positions in simulation.ltx will only go into effect when you start a new game.

Yeah, I've been starting a new game each time and I'm still not seeing any squads spawning. The mutants seem to do just fine, though.

e: Apparently the simulation.ltx is actually working. Sort of. It just doesn't spawn every single squad it's supposed to, and the ones it does spawn seem to be random, but the same random squads every time.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 13, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Azran posted:

So if I installed CoC over my CoP directory, should I uninstall and reinstall both?

Yup. CoC is stand alone and won't work right in the CoP directory.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The increased alife, alongside the faction war functionality makes things pretty nuts. Not only do you run into mutants all the time, you totally have no idea what you're going to find when it comes to stalkers, either.

Nothing like finding Monolith occupying the Cordon.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've managed to get pretty much the whole zone up and running with faction controllable terrains, and while it's an interesting and good experience, I really wish that squads prioritized terrain closer to them more highly. Right now it seems like the further away an objective is the more they want to get to it, so I'm winding up with crazy cross-map migrations that result in lots of squads wandering into Monolith territory and getting murdered horribly.

That and simulation.ltx being finicky are probably the two biggest issues preventing a really awesome, fully dynamic zone being possible.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

v1ld posted:

Have you reported this at the epicstalker bug tracker or forums? More likely to get answers there than /sg/, assuming that was you.

What you have sounds great already, can't wait to try it.

I don't know if it's a bug or not. :v:

Dynamic smarts are totally nuts, though. I'm doing a "real" play test as Clear Sky right now, as that faction has the most problems reliably expanding into the zone, and went on a brief foray to the Army Warehouses to scavenge after Duty/Freedom fights. It was night, I only had a gas mask and a sunrise suit, so I was wandering around with absolutely no idea what squads would be where, just running towards gunfire and tracers in the sky. After finding and trailing a friendly Duty squad I we wound up fighting a random army patrol, a group of bandits, and then two squads of Monolith with the help of some loners. I turned the debug hud back on when I got to the bar and realized that Freedom's squads were all hanging around in their base while everyone outside duked it out in a massive brawl. It was probably the most exciting session of Stalker I've had in a long time.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've come to realize that another complicating feature of faction control in CoC is that squads don't actually respawn as they should in dynamically controlled smarts. As in, they don't respawn at all.

I probably should have tried that one first. :negative:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ddraig posted:

Are you sure about that? they should.

If you're certain they don't, definitely post it to the bugtracker.

That's sort of the thing Alundaio would really like to know about rather than the usual complaints of "The game crashed, I'm not going to tell you where, what I was doing, or even provide a log"

http://www.coc.epicstalker.com/bugtracker

I'm still not 100% sure, I haven't tried testing it on a vanilla install of the current dev version, so I'll do that first and then post a bug report. I've been looking for where their bug tracker is, though, so thanks for that link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Saint Sputnik posted:

How do I know if the faction wars implementation is working? I haven't gotten any missions to capture territory and haven't seen any squads wandering around.

You don't get any missions, and a lot of the implementation hasn't been touched outside of the Army Warehouses. Fortunately, I got you covered on the latter half.

https://mega.nz/#!VlAAxJjL!SK8gk7VMy-cBV2wdHvdrVeIe641ERTU6UTfT4DKa4pA

You'll need to be using Ddraig's mod, or the latest dev build, and it requires starting a new game.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 14, 2015