Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Apologies if this has been addressed before, but I've started Lost Alpha and I recently rescued Fox. I want to upgrade my gear, but the descriptions of what the different upgrades do are hard to interpret. Like the text will say that a particular upgrade to the AK decreases recoil, but then below that it will say that it actually increases recoil by 57%, and finally when I install it to figure out what it actually does, it turns out that it really does reduce recoil. There are also upgrades that have no explanation of what they do, e.g. the durability increases or longer barrels. It makes it kind of hard to figure out what to buy. Is there a post or FAQ that explains what they do, or maybe a specific file in the install folder that has the raw data?

Also really liking Lost Alpha, it's reminded me of how much I love the gunplay in this series, at least in the early game before you can just win easily every time with headshots. It's really fun figuring out how to take out a squad of bandits with nothing but a TOZ-34 and a Makarov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
The main problem I had with Lost Alpha was they added a lot of tremendous amount of new area to the map, but it's not really utilized for anything so the practical effect is doubling the distance between objectives in a game that was already fairly sprawling and deliberately paced. Also the whole sequence of Dark Valley->helicopter chase->mines was not fun and seemed like it belonged in a different game. I finally got a persistent crash towards the end of that, where you have to steal some documents from the bandits for Sin, and I was almost relieved.

I'm trying Autumn Aurora right now, really enjoying it.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

That said, one of the lead devs said not to kill those guys, but they never popped up in the story again (at least for me).

To explain what happens if you ice the dudes holding Fox, it has consequences in the mines sequence. After you escape into the train tunnel, you'll get a text from Petrenko telling you not to go deeper into the Mines, because Sin is pissed at you for killing some of their boys earlier. If you disregard him and go into the mines anyway, you die. Not "they kill you," just "you die." I upgraded my suit with NVGs and I could actually see quite well in there, so I decided to just fight my way through. Nope. There's no fight, not even any enemies, you just spontaneously drop dead once you go deep enough. To get through the mines, you have to go all the way back to the Bar and pay Barkeep 10,000 rubles to get back on their good side, then return to the entrance. Then it proceeds as normal.

Basically killing those guys adds a mandatory "run 20 miles and back" fetch quest.

Robot Randy posted:

I guess that means I shouldn't ice the dudes holding Fox hostage?

If you feel like getting spoiled, see above. Really the main problem I had with the whole bit was that it didn't fit the tone, pacing, and gameplay of STALKER. I mostly see it as a game about exploring an abandoned wilderness, carefully creeping through minefields, and occasionally getting in sudden white-knuckle gunfights. Lost Alpha is mostly that, but they threw in a big setpiece action sequence where you have a flee a helicopter in a car, and it just comes out of nowhere.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

Do I use the Optimised Game Shaders with Misery?

Also, is anything out that would make SoC worth revisiting? Last I played it was maybe 2008. I totally looooved SGM for Pripyat, back in version 1.7 for comparison

I was in a similar spot and I'm enjoying Autumn Aurora 2, which was linked somewhere up the thread. It's still your basic SoC, just with some adjustments to make it look, sound, and play better. I like it because I liked SoC a lot, and it's allowing me to a play a more polished, less dated version of what I liked.

If you want tons of new content, Lost Alpha is more the thing.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Jesus that Niva in the Dark Valley before you get to Darkscape is... bad.

You turn too quick and you end up on your side, riddled with helicopter bullets. Starting to think of just hiding in the building and shooting down that chopper.

I was frustrated by that at first but after the fourth or fifth time I tried to get it to Darkscape I just found it hilarious. One time it rolled over during the very first turn, I was going maybe 10 kph. It was like it had a mind of its own and all it wanted to do was roll over and go to sleep. I wound up sprinting all the way to the train tunnel by running serpentine, hiding under bridges, and chugging energy drinks. After that I got a persistent crash over a dialogue file during the "steal the bandit documents" quest and I just gave up on the game and tried Autumn Aurora instead, but if the whole helicopter chase/tunnels sequence wasn't part of the mod or was handled better I'd have tried to find a fix.

Jokes on me, though, because now I'm getting a CTD in AA every time I tried to enter X16.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Horns posted:

I was going to complain about the rate of knife degradation (even with a sniper it's a bit too fast), but hopefully raising the price on mutant parts balances that out.

Misery is... alright now? The economy changes in 2.1.1 make earning cash a much less tedious experience, new anomalies make exploration more interesting and unpredictable, more music (I got pretty stoked when It Was A Good Day started playing, and like all the audio "glitches"), new flavor stuff is cool...

gently caress, looks like I'm dragged back in.

I decided to give it a try but I'm kind of put off by how truly insane the economic model is--and you say this is improved over how it was?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Horns posted:

Yeah, mechanic repair prices are still loving absurd but the rest of the economy in 2.1.1 definitely feels more manageable compared to 2.1.

I think I'm just going to reinstall it in "Rookie Mode" and see if it makes any more sense. I had pretty much no trouble at all with the actual difficulty of the game, but when getting grazed by anything at all drops your armor condition by >10% and you have to sell 10 looted AKs to break even on a travel sewing kit (actual retail price $4), it's mighty hard to give a poo poo.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Xerxes17 posted:

Kind of cool I guess, but the fact that as soon as you get a reasonable assault rifle and some medical supplies you can easily knock out one faction after another by just going straight for their HQ. So as such you just go one after the other with little challenge involved. I guess I should give the option of playing as a Loner a go to see how removing the one man army the player is from the warfare changes the progression of things.

Same. Playing for Defiance I figured that the best bet was an AS VAL with a shotgun backup, and I worked my way to it. A fully upgraded VAL is just unfair. At long range it comes with PSO-1 mount by default and it's pinpoint accurate in single shots, in short range it has good iron sights and low recoil for a high ROF, and with AP 9x39mm you can kill basically anybody in two shots to the body. Plus it's silenced so occasionally bad guys would fail to notice their buddies falling dead all around them. The only HQ attack that gave me trouble was the Mobile Science Lab, because it's in a mostly open area and it was full of Merc snipers with PSG-1s who would just swivel and kill me instantly with one shot any time they could see me for more than 1 second. I had to reload that one a bunch of times.

Even so you're still guaranteed five or six hectic Stalker shootouts in the process of storming everybody's castle, which is pretty fun. You can also refrain from going for the throat and farm fun shootouts. I think if I played again I would probably try for a self-imposed challenge like only using really shoddy kit, like a Mosin-Nagant and a TOZ-34.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I'm playing through Oblivion Lost 3.0, and I'm still early on but I've already run into something I'm slightly dubious about. The little gatehouse where you move from Cordon to Garbage seems to spawn an infinite stream of military squads. As in, a new one pops by 30 seconds after you kill the previous one. Due to a small amount of quest backtracking for Sidorovich, the courtyard is full of about 30 corpses with tricked-out 100% condition AN-94s and other nice gear I can't even begin to haul away. If this is working as designed, it's an interesting choice.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

VStraken posted:

I recall from previous versions that the spawning timers can get broken and churn out NPCs as quick as they can. One of my playthroughs, there was just this endless army of bandits pouring out of Dark Valley towards the Bar. It may require reloading from a previous save to fix.

ah-hah, ok. I was hoping it was a bug, thanks.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I have a problem with the optical sight overlay. I bought a PSO scope for my AN-94, but when I try to use it the image is vertically stretched. The very top of the scope is where it's supposed to be, but the whole thing is oblong... the bottom of the image disappears off the bottom of the screen, and the crosshair is way low. I have OWR3 and Ddraig's mod both installed, and I was guessing it was some kind of adverse interaction with those two like the outfits.ltx issue.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'm having real trouble with this contract killer mission, I kill the target but the game just doesn't seem to register them as dead. I can loot them, but I can't drag the body, and the quest isn't completed.

Same.

Azran posted:

Ddraig, I installed your mod (except for the A-life changes) and all the outfits/helmets are having weird icon issues. For example, the Exoskeleton icon is half a combat jacket and half a clear sky jacket.

Ddraig posted:

I take it you're using the OWR3 addon? Use the outfits.ltx from that (configs/misc/outfits.ltx)

The one in my mod is only a change to exoskeleton shock protection, so it's no huge loss.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

EvanSchenck posted:

I have a problem with the optical sight overlay. I bought a PSO scope for my AN-94, but when I try to use it the image is vertically stretched. The very top of the scope is where it's supposed to be, but the whole thing is oblong... the bottom of the image disappears off the bottom of the screen, and the crosshair is way low. I have OWR3 and Ddraig's mod both installed, and I was guessing it was some kind of adverse interaction with those two like the outfits.ltx issue.

this is what it looks like when I aim through the PSO-1, in case it wasn't clear.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Ddraig posted:

In configs/ui/textures_descr there should be ui_ingame.xml and ui_ingame.xml.alt. Delete the original and rename the alt version to ui_ingame.xml

Should fix the scope issue.

yup, that did it, thanks

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

.45 ACP seems to work much better overall imo, the M1911A1 is super strong against man and mutant. :jihad:

I began a run of CoC and then restarted, figuring that I could do the early game a little more efficiently once I had a read on the game.

Start as a Loner with a TOZ-34, PM, and a leather jacket, getting in shootouts and looting ammo to raise rubles from Sidorovich. Pretty quickly I got up to a sunrise suit, a 1911, and a bear detector, and the first two levels of gun kits popped up in Sid's inventory. I made a beeline to Army Warehouses with some stops to grab artifacts and other loot. I zeroed out my bank on a Winds of Freedom suit and boosting it and the 1911 through the second level of upgrades. Then I took a job from Lukash: conquer the bandit base in the Dark Valley.

I didn't bother counting how many I took out but it must have been between 25 and 30, all with the 1911 and TOZ-34. It was really fun. Little hairy on the approach, because I came in from Trucks Cemetery and had to pass a lot of open ground and baddies with rifles and SMGs, but once I pushed through to the gate and started engaging from up close it was a bit of a massacre. I grabbed a Sig-550 to repair and keep, plus about 40 kilos of ammo to sell. In my test run I really liked the Glock 17 because of the accuracy and the generous magazine, but the .45 ACP really is king. I can do way more with 11 shots from a 1911 than 21 shots from the Glock.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Minarchist posted:

Get the mod that allows you to sell up to 80% broken guns and you'll have a ton of cash.

Being unable to sell enemy weapon drops bugged me at first, but I realized it isn't a big deal. I haven't compared the weight/price scientifically but a 100% condition Sig-550 weighs 4.3kg and will sell for around 1000RU, so around 232 RU per kilo. The 5.56 ammo you feed it will fetch over 1000RU per kilo, and even trash like 9x18mm will go for >500RU/kg. The main disadvantage is time efficiency, because every NPC has at least one gun but most of them only carry 60 bullets or so. If you're only looting bullets you have to kill and loot more guys before you've filled your backpack and have to find a trader.

As a money-making tip if you're in a neutral faction, there seems to always be a ton of human activity around Army Warehouses. Just pop by the Freedom base every so often, there are usually some combination of competing squads killing each other. A lot of the time you won't even need to do anything, you can just wait until the shooting stops and loot everybody who didn't make it, and run it right over to Skinflint. I was just passing through and walked into a Duty/Freedom/Bandit three-way firefight in the Duty Outpost. It ended with one Duty second lieutenant standing and me pawning 15,000 RU worth of stuff, mostly bullets.

quote:

If you really like .45 ACP get the UMP from Nimble. It's a bit heavy for a sidearm but 35 rounds of .45 will ruin anything up to a pseudogiant.

Ordinarily in STALKER I go for the thickest armor and heaviest guns, but I'm finding that making do with lighter gear is an interesting challenge.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Minarchist posted:

The Wind of Freedom suit is great, weighs nothing and does nothing to protect you (just don't get shot :downs:) but you can run forever and carry a whole lot.

It's what I'm wearing, and I have nearly all the upgrades. I love the mobility and the awful protection is an interesting handicap to work around, but I'm kind of souring on it because of the terrible durability. It falls apart the second anybody sneezes on you. I think I might go back down to Nimble and upgrade to the Clear Sky armor he sells. I pretty much always used the SEVA and exoskeleton, so I want to try other stuff for end-game gear. Is the clear sky battle suit any good?

Missing Name posted:

One of the few things I liked about MISERY was the ability to attach mutant bits and armor plates to whatever gear you had. It was actually fun and useful, unlike 95% of everything else that was added.

I liked their character class idea, because it seemed an interesting way to vary the gameplay experience. IMO vanilla STALKER really funnels the player towards heavy armor and a scoped AR to shoot everybody in the head, so class-based bonuses and penalties to push the player in other directions, like mobility and short range shooting, or precise single-shot sniping. In practice I'm sure they made it lame and not fun.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Are there any vendors who stock the Bulat suit in CoC?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

EvanSchenck posted:

Are there any vendors who stock the Bulat suit in CoC?

I wound up buying the PSZ-9d off of the duty boss. Fully upgraded, it pretty much owns. Amazing bullet and impact protection, and with a 70kg carry weight and huge stamina bonuses you can pretty much run forever on a combat load, and even when pack-ratting you can sip energy drinks and never have to stop. poo poo anomaly protection and no artifact slots, but the upgrades that come with the suit are pretty much what I use artifacts for, anyway (carry weight and stamina), and you shouldn't be stepping in anomalies, anyway.

masked sex hero posted:

if you go up north and kill monolith members for a while, they should eventually drop a gauss rifle. one of those can destroy a helicopter in like 8-10 shots. i've tried using the rocket launcher but the RPG moves wayyy too slow to reliably hit them

Maybe this is just me, but I find that I can down a chopper with about two magazines from one of the 5.56 rifles.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I think I figured out the ideal weapon loadout: AKS-74U and AN-94. Fully upgraded, the Krinkov is very light with a 45 round magazine, blistering rate of fire, and as good as zero recoil. Tears everything up at short range. The Abakan develops into a more than decent marksman rifle and can mount the PSO variant that highlights mutants and other stalkers for you. Best of all, both of them feed cheap, lightweight, plentiful 5.45x39.5. It's really great, considering they're both pretty low-end weapons.

The main weakness is neither of them accepts a silencer, but you can't have everything.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Das Butterbrot posted:

The AN-94 is great, but I prefer a Protecta or the unique SPAS from Nimble as secondary for mutant-killing shotgun goodness.

At first I thought that might be a problem, but with all the ROF and recoil upgrades the AKS-74U will do for anything within 100-150 yards, human or not. It's not as efficient against mutants as something in 12 gauge or .45 hydrashock but it still does the job.

I was killing time waiting for Sakharov to tune up the psi helmet, and I went into Agroprom. I shot down a helicopter for existing, which for some reason triggered the alarm at the army base and caused all the loners hanging around the factory to run off to storm it. I followed them along and helped clear it, but I didn't have much fun at it because of the APCs. For the most part I just avoided their fields of fire. Are they invulnerable?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

Your average stalker feels like a guy who was feed up of being screwed in their home country, so they grab grandpas ancient rifle and head off to make their fortune.

I'm already planning a SVT-40/TT-33 playthrough.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Blistex posted:

Made it to him and got some of my weapons updated as well as my suit. Now I have to slog it back to cordon to order an Exeosuit, unless there is someone else closer. "Fast-travel" would be a nice feature. The huge areas are nice, but it feels like trying to cross the wastes in in Fallout in one trip.

I think this was discussed a while back, and as far as I understood it the CoC team had to dummy out the fast travel because the scripting arsed up the whole game and made it not work, and there is perhaps no workaround at all.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I'm curious: does anybody know exactly how STALKER handles stealth? I've been trying to play a nocturnal merc, using the basic merc suit and only short range weapons (March and UMP45), and making it work by using night vision and cover of night to get up close before the shooting starts. I can't figure out how the game determines when enemies spot you and know where you are. Sometimes they see me from a long way away even in pitch dark, other times they practically trip over me without seeing anything. Are there any general rules for how that works, or is just random?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Like Morter said, keep moving and make use of all available cover. Sometimes they will lose track of you and you can get the jump on them as they try to get to your last known location.
And when you hear someone priming a grenade nearby, that's your cue to rush their location and put 3-4 rounds in their face as you pass their still falling corpse to the next piece of cover.

That is about what I do, I was just checking if there was some non-obvious quirk. Going by the "alert" meter on the HUD it seems like the AI does have a system built around facing and line of sight to determine if they spot you, and last known position if they lose you. I also get a strong impression that they have a lot more trouble spotting you at night. To get from Dead City to Nimble I passed through Trucks Cemetery to the Bar, and in the dark I was able to walk pretty much right up to the checkpoint and start capping guys with silenced guns, and then the rest of them rushed me by ones and twos but never managed to get a fix on me enough to even shoot back before I got them.

But then again, I often run into situations where a group of six or seven boars a hundred yards away will suddenly decide to run flat-out through the night directly towards me, without the indicator showing anything. Maybe mutants and Stalkers have different rules?

e: maybe they need to be able to see you for a certain length of time before they fill up the alert meter, and that's when they fix on you and start shooting back? And it takes longer to fill the meter if it's pitch dark? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Got AO3, rolling around looking for the best gear. I wound up going with the NBC Suit for reasons of weight and artifact slots, is that a bad choice? Gun wise I'm really liking the Vepr and the AK-12 in 7.62x39, with a GSh-18 for fun, but what's the best stuff? I tend to reach for Warsaw Pact stuff just on the basis of ammo availability, but I use the pistol sparingly enough that I would probably be good with a 10mm or something if it turned out they were dramatically better for some reason. It's kind of hard to track that stuff, because the "damage" bar on the weapon description doesn't take into account the characteristics of the ammunition it feeds.