Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So just finished my first play-through of The Faction War.

Kind of cool I guess, but the fact that as soon as you get a reasonable assault rifle and some medical supplies you can easily knock out one faction after another by just going straight for their HQ. So as such you just go one after the other with little challenge involved. I guess I should give the option of playing as a Loner a go to see how removing the one man army the player is from the warfare changes the progression of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Playing through as a Loner I am similarly unimpressed. In this mode you have 4 objectives:
-Clear a nearby area of threats.
-Deliver a mutant body part.
-Find me an artifact!
-Shoot some prick.

Which needless to say, gets repetitive.

TFW mod is certainly all about the fighting between factions and trying to extract standard stalker gameplay from it is a non-starter. The option of being a Loner is there simply to allow you to decide when you will join a faction at your own choosing. I suppose a fun experiment would be to wait until it is one very weak faction against one other that has taken over all the rest and then turning things around, but knowing the AI in this game you'd have to be waiting a very long time for that situation to develop.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

That looks awesome as gently caress.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

Anyone have a good resource for learning Russian on your own? I've gotten a few "levels" in Duolingo, but I've never learned a language with a different alphabet, so not recognizing the letters is really slowing me down.

I found learning in a class to be invaluable to really start things off. If you live in an area where that's not a possibility or other reasons, there are ways of arranging online lessons with a teacher over Skype.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 25, 2016