Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hello, I am a newbie to this series playing Shadow of Chernobyl for the first time. I have the ZRP mod installed, and so far the game runs smoothly.

I am having some culture shock issues - for example, I die 90% of the time when I engage with an enemy. My pistol seems to do nothing except against dogs, and if I don't aim instantly I'll be dead first. Stuff like that. So I'm trying to work around it by not doing combat and stuff, but...

- I could not get through the railway tunnel without dying, so I went to the military checkpoint instead and shotgunned a soldier to the face so he died, then repeated with the next guy and ran away since I was on the other side. Is... this a valid way to do this quest? I feel weird, like I'm breaking something.

- There are random red dot enemies near the Fox dude you help out by killing a pack of weird dogs. Am I supposed to engage?

For more context I'm still playing Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands so my brain is still in full "an enemy will get a glowing marker above their head when you see them, and you can kill anyone no problem" mode. I'm trying to adjust, haha.

e: Also, how scarce is stuff in this game? If I burn a medkit now, am I screwed later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

That is incredibly helped, Xander77 and ThisIsJohnWayne. Thanks!

Good deal: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/colossus-bundle you can get Clear Sky for a dollar.

Bad deal: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/stalker-complete-bundle you can get all three games for 9$

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

All good to know. Something that helped me out was realizing that the ironsights of the pistol suck and that I should use the UI's target instead, especially since it turns red if you can hit.

Also, the knife seems to be extremely powerful but good freaking luck trying to hit with it. Aiming low seems to help sometimes?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I don't know if you're trying for stealth insta-kills, but Stalker has 2 annoying deviations from standard stealth patterns:

1. Reloading near an enemy, even if their back is turned and there's a wall between you, will instantly reveal your locations.

2. Crouch walking still makes enough noise for the enemy to hear just as you're behind their back. There's a sort of crouch-jumping way of sneaking that avoids that, but... yeah.

Oh man, that reloading thing is good to know. I'm not trying for stealth insta-kills, but stealth in general seems to be kind of a requirement? Staying out of sight of enemies and sticking to cover is vital to survival.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

Enemy HP/damage resistance/weapon damage doesn't change in any of the games. The player takes reduced damage on on novice in comparison to master. In SoC specifically the player's weapons also do more damage on novice than they do on master. Lower difficulties are just straight up easier. The problem is that Stalker punishes you for run and gun gameplay in an absurdly opaque way.

After you hit an enemy there is a one second window called "time to aim" where they will have upwards of a 100% damage reduction. Once that one second window is over a subsequent headshot will deal between 5-10x damage. The absolute best thing you can do is get an initial hit on an enemy, wait one second, and go for a headshot.

It's also extremely worth keeping in mind that bullets disappear after a certain distance, and in SoC it's absurdly low for the starting weapons. The starting pistol's bullets despawn after 50 meters, the sawn off shotgun's bullets vanish after 37. This is exacerbated by the fact that enemies are more accurate up close than they are further away.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

To the bandit who killed Bes while I was talking to him: gently caress you!