Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Robot Randy posted:

I guess that means I shouldn't ice the dudes holding Fox hostage?

Trade him then kill them, they have nice stuff and it doesn't affect your standing with them. At least i got through the mines okay after killing the first group, but the AI bugged out and they didn't go hostile on me when i murdered the first two with slug headshots so i dunno?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I dunno how possible it is, but could you get some SMGs and short barrel shotguns in as secondary slot weapons? I remember loving a P90 in the secondary slot with some SoC mod a long time ago and a few other mods have had short-barrel 870 or Toz-34s as secondaries. I would like to see a Five-seveN as well.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Holy poo poo TFW is amazing, thanks for the modified upload Ddraig. The stalker loot script can be really annoying though, I always have some pack of loners wander into the middle of a firefight so I have to avoid shooting them AND avoid getting trapped in their "hey that's mine" loot dialogue in the middle of the fight if I want any loot at all. I think it's a great feature for a variety of reasons, I just wish it could be scripted a bit better.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Still haven't got the loving loners to like me enough to tell me where the good loot and PDA man are, though.

PDA man is pretty garbage, 10 PDAs just gets you a random stash location and I never managed to find 20 of the same faction naturally and gently caress farming PDAs. The only thing is you can sell them for 200 rb apiece

Is there any endgame to TFW? Starting with Clear Sky, I have captured all the bases, all that's left is the two resource points in Red Forest controlled by Freedom. Every other faction is dead aside from Loners because you aren't allowed to take those fuckers out. I see that Pripyat has territory points so if I can take my faction up against Monolith I might keep going, otherwise I'm going to start again as Bandits or Mercs. Everything is a cakewalk now with my CS Exo-equivalent with +40kg carry weight and sprinting and my two SEVA suited companions with SVDs

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Ddraig posted:

As for endgame, maybe I can make it so once you 'beat' the faction war, Military/Monolith spawns will vastly increase so now you have to protect things.

Maybe make a objective to talk to your faction leader after each other faction is eliminated that starts the endgame, informing the player that the military and monolith have 'noticed' their activities and are now attempting to drive them out

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Swartz posted:

Also, I noticed that TFW has a new "best weapon" switching system. Have you or anyone else noticed it working? Like do NPC's use pistols sometimes, or different weapons when attacking helicopters?
I just want to make sure it works before I attempt to port it to COP.

I noticed my Mosin equipped squadmates using their shotgun and submachine gun secondaries when the fights were close ranged, but i didn't really pay attention to the triggers for the switching though.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

If you take a base do you get their trader/mechanic?

You do but neither is full capacity The trader only has ammo and maybe a gun or two and the mechanic can only fix your weapons, not upgrade them.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

When I did my run as clear sky I never had a problem with the depot, but I think I might have killed all the defiance bases before I went back after starting the war. I don't think the Depot is a Defiance base, they just hang out there.

Also how is playing TFW as a loner? Do you just run around doing missions for all the groups as they kill each other and that's it? Not that there is a problem with that, it seems like the most STALKER experience.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I've been getting that stalker itch again, i tried playing through the Metro Redux games but its like methadone and i can't loot till my eyes bleed.

What's the new hotness in stalker modding? I don't really care about the story now but i do like having faction warfare/missions/something to do to structure my free-roam. I also like a slower progression from bottom of barrel pistol to automatics to tactilol AR with exoskeleton so anything that keeps that intact somewhat would be great.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

v1ld posted:

Call of Chernobyl. You're probably best of waiting until the new 1.4 release drops, it promises a lot of new improvements as well as a minimalist story mode to drive you through the maps if you want. That release may be as soon as next week if one of the devs is accurate in their statement.

If you want to try it right now, the 1.4RC version in addons has better missions than the released 1.3.20 version but also comes with a few bugs. I get crashes every hour or so, but still prefer it to 1.3.20.

For guns, I find the STCoP addon better quality overall than AO3 but that's subjective.

Finally got around to loading this up earlier this week, no 1.4 available though. Thanks!

Did three random ironman runs with scientist/military/clear sky and died to early bloodsuckers every time :shepicide:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

big cock Salaryman posted:

how does one download 1.4RC? no links that i see on the moddb page. i would wait for the proper release but i dont know how far off it is

They took it down some time ago. Just play the regular version to edge yourself till 1.4 gets released. I recommend some sort of self imposed challenge like ironman, or not using automatic weapons.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

loga mira posted:

If I wanted to replay Call of Pripyat what community patches and other such things should I get? I recall there being patches to fix the stutter, something to do with grass, and so on. The thing in the op is not available anymore and it's pretty old too. I'll be playing the steam version that has Russian text and sound.

Besides that, I though the game's gunplay and gun customization weren't great, are there any mods that specifically change these things? Something conservative that doesn't add a million guns ripped from other games would be ideal.

I found this on reddit recently when i was searching for solutions to installing some mod on regular SoC

E:one day i might be brave enough to enter the slav zone

Fellis fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 23, 2016

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Where can you access traders and mechanics as a Mercenary in CoC? Or should I play another faction if they have none/are very limited?

I think Dead City has the main merc base. They are pretty limited because everyone hates you except ecologists probably

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Monolith. posted:

Last night i started up CoC and after killing several zombies, i now have a Protecta and a Pechneg. Amazing.

Yeah letting scientists/clear sky get blown away by the zombies in yantar is a pretty easy way for some loot, and then a repair kit will get you a decent weapon or two to put you on your way.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

1.3 military was fairly easy imo, a lot of people hate you but you still get all the good traders and two mechanics and a fairly central base (agropom) with lots of outposts everywhere

Clearing the bar of filthy loners was pretty cathartic also. Chased barman into his backroom and shot him cowering and alone.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

They should mod it so you can take them alive and pretend you're hunting Deck of 52 members like in Mercenaries.

there should be a way to take people alive, in 1.3 at least if they were in a wounded/bleedout state (no idea how to trigger that reliably) and combat was over you could approach the enemy and they would go into a captured pose where you could:
1: treat their wounds in exchange for information/equipment
2: threaten them in exchange for information/equipment
3: kill them

if you got their stuff it would be in good condition with a decent amount of ammo, otherwise it was a regular body loot. Information was always a stash location in my experience. I only had it trigger like 2-3 times.

anyway i think the capability is there for a modder to program other options

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

So whats with enemy detection in CoC? I'm getting shot at by dudes with shotguns way past effective range. It may be due to AO3, but I dont think it is.

They're hilariously alert. Is this just vanilla settings and Im used to modded?

Gotta note though, its cool as gently caress that guys with shotguns will literally sneak up crouched over to shoot you in the side/rear end.

Do you have your headlamp always on at night? It's really easy for the AI to detect you then

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I faintly remember seeing that behavior in vanilla SoC but that was ages ago and i thought this game was running on CoP engine.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Monolith. posted:

It is. The only stealth or last known position that Ive seen Stalker utilize is OGSE0693. Complete 2009 turned the AIs vision distance down at night but its always been an issue. Its weird though because sometimes you can crouch in a bush and the AI will walk right up to you without firing a shot.

I was playing arena again last night and it seems there is last known position because i shot a guy and crouched walked to another piece of cover and he was still looking at my first position

bullshit that you don't have a knife in arena to cheese it anymore :saddowns:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I also have been meh on CoC 1.4 and i have AO3 installed, in 1.3 i had stcop i think and that was great aside from some mutant spawning issues imo

Also stashes having broken weapons is bullshit :mad:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Missing Name posted:

Game is still missing nagant revolvers, now how will I cosplay my Russian Revolution character in the Zone

In all seriousness, I'm done with AO3 until it gets patched. Damage is hosed.

Yeah seriously, two slugs to the dome of a psuedodog and somehow it runs up and two hits me instead loving christ. Shooting stalkers is pointless unless you go for headshots only

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

9x39, 7.62x39 or higher will actually kill dudes with 3ish chest shots. but yeah, good luck using any other ammo type.

I've been trying to use shotguns and pistols more for some extra challenge because 6ish years of headshotting stalkers with 4x scoped assault rifles is boring, but the guns just plain not being effective is another thing. Especially when everything was working fine with another mod pack in 1.3, its too jarring.

Like why put in all these rando guns and ammo types if they all suck rear end modders. Sure I'll use a .357 revolver, oh wait the ammo is 10k rb for a box of 20? lol

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I wish you could have the big semi/bolt rifles with no optics, irons only also puts some challenge back into the game.

Is there any reason they took the dart/flechette ammo out of the game? If i recall it was just buckshot with better armor piercing and that seems like a perfectly fine niche.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Dali Parton posted:

I don't think it adds good challenge though. In many situations you have to pixel hunt when a bandit is firing at you in foliage because he can see through bushes. Same with nighttime situations. Scopes equalize the playing field by giving you a decent chance to spot before some swamp-dwelling cheeki breeki no-scopes you through dense cattails.

Someone needs to port Misery 2's AI, because at least there everyone didn't have laser vision. :sigh:

I think its a question of playstyle. I play pretty safely and anytime my PDA tracker beeps i find cover and snipe that jerk if I can, so having my effective range reduced helps make that more challenging.

I don't usually find myself surprised by the AI aside from mutants. If i do get dropped on I usually retreat. I blame playing ironman, where all my deaths were to surprise bloodsuckers/chimeras.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

It sounds like you're basically looking for a Mosin. It uses ironsights by default and shares ammo with the SVD so I imagine it's damage is similar.

Yeah pretty much. I haven't found a mosin in any of my CoC playthroughs though, just SVT's :(

I remember some mod where all Siderovich had till you ranked up some was mosin's, hunting shotguns, and makarovs and that ruled to start even though it was pretty trivial to take out the military checkpoint at the bridge.

Saint Sputnik posted:

About to try the winter + depopulation addons for COC, this should be interesting
e:
oh hell yes, I'm not convinced this isn't the way the game was always meant to be

It's got crunchy footstep sounds too, it's just missing footprint effects and any kind of hypothermia system

Dang that looks amazing. I'd like to imagine that a lot of the Zone departs during the awful winters and the levels open up as the skeleton crews of the military, mercs, freedom, duty consolidate around their strongest bases, while Monolith recaptures all the territory that stalkers fought for during the warmer months. Maybe emissions are 10x worse as the radiation is kicked into the snowstorms and blowouts essentially last days instead of hours. Just from a lore point though, that would be awful to play through.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

staberind posted:

Do I need to do something specific to get Prof Kruglov to upgrade things, as he is not in my games, just repairs stuff.
I restarted a couple of times and ran to Yantar to make sure.

Be an ecologist?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks for the advice, I haven't gone up there yet.

TBH I just cheat in the toolkits. gently caress making you find them as random drops. I will admit it's a lot better now with the patches, before 1.4.10 I hadn't found a single one. I'd probably give it a shot legit now.

I've never used the AN-94 in any of the games. What's the advantage over the AK-74?

2 shot burst-fire!!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Call of chernobyl is fantastic, but just freeplay. There are some promising mods on the horizon but nothing released last i was aware (a few months ago). Right now there are some content/high res mods which are nice and various tweaks. If you read back a page or two where 1.4 was released you'll probably see most of the pertinent discussion

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

This is a really cool watch. He does a good job of touching upon why STALKER is so infinitely appealing and engrossing.

Yeah! I can't think of many other games that have occupied my attention for 10+ years with interesting modding and good gameplay. Maybe like Doom is the only other one.

Thanks for sharing the vid Marius!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

He's real loving annoying though.

The only part I had to skip was his narrative sequence in the middle, but I think the point of that video was to appeal to people who have zero clue about STALKER or modding it past vanilla. Also the emphasis he puts on the stronger weapons mod is a little misplaced imo, because taking down SEVA Duty with a piddly 9mm pistol is really dumb. But overall I didn't find the guy that annoying.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

By narrative sequence in the middle you mean his Monolith story? That was the best part you Philistines.

gently caress!!! I've been in the zone too long to be amused by some rookie piece of poo poo talking about his first encounter with a bloodsucker!! Barman get me another!

also as a monolith he should have been roleplaying a gleeful death cultist who worships nuclear annihilation, so ~my immersion~ :v:

Really though, I went back and watched it and it wasn't as cringey as I thought it was going to be when i skipped it

The Protagonist posted:

It's funny he fell right for the trap of less effective weapons on lower difficulty. Damage on master has always felt about right to me but I never try to do much with pistols for very long either.

I forgot about this quirk, I haven't played anything but Master in a long time. Pistols fall off when everyone has helmets/exo, otherwise headshots are headshots.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

Warfare mod is now currently released.

You know the mod that turns the zone into a giant warzone and you and your faction take it over. Compatible with dynamic faction relations. Holy loving poo poo I've been waiting for this for a long while.

gently caress. Yes. I probably won't have time to play this till next week, hopefully anything strange is ironed out by then.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Lost Alpha is getting a developer's cut release next month: http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/news/lost-alpha-developers-cut-release-announcement

Changelog:
http://www.dezowave.com/ladc_changelog.txt

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's been a long, long time since I last played any of the STALKER series, but I was reminded of it recently and really want to get my cheeki breeki on. What's the recommended all-in-one mod for CoP these days? Preferably something that also adds in a ton of new guns and other toys to gently caress around with (even though I know I'll wind up sticking with the same AK and drum-fed shotgun most of the game).

New hotness is call of chernobyl, it's mostly just freeplay with a little structure though. Although I think warfare mod got developed for it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is it total aimless sandbox, or is more like the modern definition of sandbox?

More of an aimless sandbox.

It's every stalker map ever made in one game. You can start as a rookie in any faction (incl bandits, monolith, ecologists, clear sky) and just walk around gearing up. There are faction-specific quest-lines that are mostly fetch quests, but can give you a direction to head in. There is support for squadmates and all the factions will send out random patrols to do stuff so conflicts will happen around the map. Mutants of all types will show up in all the maps, so you have to watch your back, even cordon can gently caress you up.

I think there are some mods you can throw on for additional content, checking out the ModDB page for call of chernobyl will show a whole list of em.

If you really need some challenge or spice, I recommend ironman or semi-ironman (saving only at encampments/sleeping), or playing without rifles/scopes/automatic weapons.

There are still plenty of Pripyat mods if you want to play with story/missons/objectives, but the last few months have just been keeping an eye on the CoC modding community because that's where all the effort is right now. This thread doesn't move that fast, reading the last few pages will probably catch you up easily.

Oh, there's also this:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Grimthwacker posted:

So I've been itching to get back in the Zone and digging through this thread, and I'm looking for some new experiences in Shadow of Chernobyl. I've played it with Complete and Oblivion Lost, but are there any recommended mods that play close to vanilla but add new stuff? Or is Lost Alpha still a thing I should try?

Fellis posted:

I found this on reddit recently when i was searching for solutions to installing some mod on regular SoC

E:one day i might be brave enough to enter the slav zone

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

You're (not) in luck because you now have the opportunity to crowdfund a CryEngine STALKER game!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/noises-of-the-zone--3#/

$60k for this seems a bit....ambitious

lol flexible goal indiegogo, its just a cash grab. Unless I see something more than a tech demo, that's a fools bet

so yeah I'm guessing it gets $4k

e:I'm pretty sure there are some IP issues there too

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I remember when I was afraid of mutants and anomalies. Now I only fear the drat hamsters and their poorly balanced audio cues blowing out my ears

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Leif. posted:

I got CoC, AOW3, and Warfare -- is there a specific order I should install them in?

They all should be compatible as AOW3 and warfare don't mess with the same files IIRC. CoC, AOW3, Warfare is probably the safest order though.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

I grabbed the recommended combo of CoC, AO3 and Warfare from a page or two back, and on installing those and starting a new game it just silently CTDs. I assume I'm missing something obvious because I just haven't messed with STALKER modding enough so I thought I'd ask you guys before I went and slammed my face into it for a bit.

Did you start the game unmodded once before throwing all the mods in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

That's loving awesome and I'm going to install that

The only thing missing from CoC is any sort of story. They have some quests that give you light motivation to trek around, but its mostly a freeplay sandbox of being depressed in the Ukraine and also mutants.

If you have played a lot of stalker in the past, I recommend Ironman mode to give you more tension. Don't forget to grab friendlies fo tag along with you and soak up some fire/provide an early auto weapon!