Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
Playing Lost Alpha right now and holy poo poo X18 was hilarious. I just started laughing my rear end off when the guy walked into the white anomaly and exploded into giblets and the scientists just went "oh dear lord" and the soldier said "what did you eggheads do?" and straight after that two zombies and some strange green angry midget started running around in circles while I shot them in the head and threw grenades on them. I don't know if this is a known bug, but for me most mutants just run around in circles and fail to attack me. Bloodsuckers just run away and I have to chase them to give them a dose of buckshot and snorks don't understand how walls work.

Also, I like the new maps, but running through the places just to talk to some guy who tells you to talk to another guy 17 areas that way kind of sucks. Tried the car to get around faster, flipped it after 2 seconds and decided to just let it lie there and get rid of a helicopter with a RPG. Are all the cars like this? If I buy a super cool car from the fat gently caress at the bar will they all just flip around and explode when I hit a dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012

Ddraig posted:

The car in the dark valley is buggy as gently caress. People have justified this as it being out there for a long time so it's bound to be terrible.

I've driven many cars that have been exposed to the elements for a while and none of them would do a 360 degree flip and kill everyone inside if you tried to take a corner at more than 10mph

also if you think the plot is stupid now wait until you get further along. god drat they turned a relatively cool plot into something terrible

GSC sort of understood that mystery is good. You may get a glimpse of what the Zone is about, but it's largely a strange place and you'll never truly know what the hell is going on. the lost alpha team had none of that and tried to explain everything in minutiae, to the point where there's a deus ex machina as the real ending.

Leaving stuff up to people's imagination is a good thing.

Yeah I remember the labs in vanilla SHOC being really mysterious and you didn't know what the gently caress was going on in them and that's why they felt a lot scarier. Also I think that GSC realized how stupid the in-game cut scenes were and ditched them. They could have left all the cutscenes out of X18 and explained some of the stuff in the documents you keep finding. I think I'm going to just leave the "plot" alone and run around doing dumb stuff. It just feels that some of the cooler missions are connected to the plot (Like I think the bloodsucker mission at Rostok is connected to the plot and you can't do it without progressing in the plot?) and I will miss some if I just do random poo poo and roam around.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
Any experiences of Autumn Aurora? I've checked out some clips and it looks pretty cool, but how does it play? I'm thinking about doing Misery or Autumn Aurora. I tried Misery a long time ago, but it started crashing horribly for me so I had to uninstall it.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

I loved Autumn Aurora, though if you want a colourful zone then it's not the mod for you. Are you talking about SOC or COP here as as far as I know AA is for the former and Misery for the latter? AA is not as punishing as Misery but when you install you can choose Misery style scopes and a couple of other options that affect the look of the game.

Yeah, I played Misery on CoP and it was punishing, but I loved it. Too bad it crashed all the time I think it was a really early version that I played a long time ago. I think I might have lost my SHOC disc so I might need to buy the game again to try Autumn Aurora, which sucks because I am an unemployed poor rat at the moment.

Aaand now in Lost Alpha I got to the swamps and got the cutscene with some kind of Illuminati bullshit and a hooded magician? What the gently caress. I think I'm done with this.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
Installed Misery 2.1.1, got into the game and decided to change my controls. X-Ray engine has stopped working. Yup.

EDIT: Now I can change my options, but I get random CTDs. No error message the game just went poof, but the XREngine process was still running.

live free or dont fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 5, 2015

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
I think I'm done with Misery. I don't mind the difficulty that much, but the crashing and instability is killing me. Zaton was OK for the most part, only a few crashes, but in Jupiter every time I go to the east side of the map past the quarry the game gets increasingly unstable. I don't know if it's got something to do with the lighting (Using DX11 with most settings at max) because I read that DX10 and 11 have been causing some problems in STALKER and every time I load a save the game resets all the lighting and it looks weird as gently caress.

What the gently caress is up with Jupiter by the way? 4 poltergeists, burers and controllers inside a building that I can't get near because I die even with a shitload of psy protection. It's like the devs decided to "make the game hard" by just putting a huge amount of mutants in some places. Iron Forest was ridiculous too, but I just sniped the controller and poltergeists then stood on top of the chopper and plinked at the 5 bloodsuckers with my AK. The mod feels stupidly unfair, even though I love the difficulty. NPCs that spray infinite bullets at you and don't care about anomalies or shots to the head while I have to sell my rear end to Owl for 30 7.62 bullets and die instantly when I even look at a flame anomaly or catch a stray 9mm bullet from some elf eyed motherfucker firing a pistol behind a wall of fog. Seriously, one guy just walked casually into the anomalous grove in Jupiter. He didn't give a gently caress. It's a shame that I have to tweak some things myself in the settings like making the NPCs take as much damage as I am taking and poo poo like that.

Arghy posted:

I can't keep up anymore--is there somewhere i can patch up my lost alpha to the latest?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/downloads I think the latest patch is here.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012

drkeiscool posted:

To be fair, the Jupiter Plant (the outside) always struck me as being far too barren in vanilla CoP. Some mercs and dogs, and I think a psydog, maybe?

To be fair again, I've never played Misery, so maybe somewhere in the middle ground would be cool.

It's otherwise OK when I can fight back, but the ones inside the building do the spooky and kill me outside through walls before I can even get close. I'm fine with two pseudogiants at the same time, because they make me use tactics and poo poo.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
What about Clear Sky? Had my fair share of CoP and ShoC for now and want to try Clear Sky. I played it vanilla a long long time ago and was kind of disappointed, but I wonder if there are any mods to make it better?

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
I've been playing CoC now for a few days and I like it a lot apart from random crashes when moving between zones. One thing bothers me a lot though is that theres so many people shooting each other all the loving time. I feel like I'm in a war zone with the non stop fighting going on in most zones. Some places feel really cramped with cat families wandering around meowing while a pseudogiant is fighting loners who are fighting bandits. I set some spawn setting to 0,25 but I still cant walk 100 meters without running to someone while theres world war 3 going on in the background.

How can I make the zone feel a little emptier and lonelier in CoC?

E: found a really easy way to make money by hoarding half broken SVDs and RPGs and spamming guys looking for guns until they decide they want an SVD or RPG and then they give you 30-50k for a broken rear end gun.

live free or dont fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 13, 2016

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I haven't used this because I like a busier zone, but there's this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/doctorx-desolation.

Thanks! I'll try this when I get home. Should it be compatible with other addons? I have AO3 atm.

Do I need to start a new save if I install addons?

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
I cannot get into the Truck Cemetery in CoC for some reason. I tried going from Dark Valley, Bar and Army Warehoused but I just crash instantly when the loading completes. No error message.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
I like Call of Chernobyl and Misery, but is there a mod that mixes them both into a horrible mess with lots of guns too? Playing through CoP with Misery was the hardest thing ever and a little bit unfair but I liked it a lot. I played Call of Chernobyl a lot, but it got a bit boring after I turned into an invincible killing machine after a short while.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
I liked Misery after modding it a bit to change ammo and repair costs. Jupiter was over the top with instakill psy attacks and the accuracy of the enemies was over the top. By changing a few things it was still "immersive" and challenging but not super frustrating. The F5 F9 dance got a bit stupid after getting insta headshot by enemies really far away.

I was thinking about trying a one life (is it called Iron Man? I mean completely restarting after a death) run in Call of Chernobyl. I played it with I think AO3 last year but I was wondering if it is possible to play CoC with Misery and AO3? I want to do total Free Play with additional survival elements and cool guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
Can someone explain Last Day to me? Its like Call of Misery but different how? I looked at the ModDB site but didnt understand the difference.