Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
You know, seeing that little gnome guy makes me wonder why we never got more info on how the humanoid mutants like controllers and such worked.

I mean in SoC one of them loving talks (Well, screams at you to :frogout:.) to you. They're clearly at least somewhat sentient.

Finding a colony of psychic mind loving mutants near the NPP would have been awesome. Also, absolutely horrifying if you stumbled into their little town before you realized that you were surrounded by multiple enemies applying the psychic debuffs to you. :stonk:

It's a shame S.T.A.L.K.E.R. got cut down from the original TES style world design they wanted. There's obviously so much they wanted to do and could have explored in terms of fluff story content, but didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

chitoryu12 posted:

You've pretty much sold me on getting it.

I've been saying that feature wise it's one of the best mods in the STALKER mod community for years. People get turned off because of it being CS, even though it revamps the game into something hugely fun and completely workable. The amount of stuff it adds is crazy. It's basically what Clear Sky should have been.

As a note though the place to download it at the moment is https://mega.co.nz/#F!zEtSxC4J!eRsovn-n098UpRtLDmr5_w. if you want the bleeding edge version.

That's version 3.8. The mod maker never put it on the OP of his thread. Probably because he quit prior to the source code of CS being released due to a missing variable he needed not being accessible. It fixes a ton of bugs (And probably has a few itself) while adding even more new content like unique AI for Stalker squad members and soldiers. I haven't encountered any show stoppers yet though.

As a side note, now that it's released he's back but no one knows if he'll stick around. I'd encourage him to keep going since the mod does some pretty crazy stuff.

Edit: Just had my first Stalker AI moment. I started looting corpses after a fight. A defiance member got pissed at me and told me to give it back. I figured they couldn't pop me before I got away. I was right. Problem was the sniper sitting on the hill out of sight was fully capable of the job. Given the way he headshotted my character he must have had a bead on me from the moment the conversation started.

I probably should have read the instructions on how the new AI worked first. :gonk:

A snippet from the new types of Stalkers and associated AI changes posted:

Sniper
- When he does not move his accuracy increases 6x.
- He shoots only in single fire mode.
- Uses only sniper rifles or a hunting rifle with optical sight.
- Wears only 1st class armors (The weakest available for his faction).
- Tries to keep distance from the target.
- If the target is close he's using a pistol.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 6, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

quote:

In the end I'd prefer Misery or Lost Alpha. TFW is loving awesome but it has a single objective so it gets tiresome. Also knocking out a faction removes them completely from the game world. I'd rather they try to come back and take their base.

Try to start as the merc faction. It's basically Misery 1 levels of difficulty.

It's you and three squads against the world. You get no reliable reinforcements in comparison to the other factions until you take your official base in Agroprom. Also, you start in Yantar, which in Clear Sky is basically overrun with hundreds of zombies and other nasty mutants.

Your only advantage is that at the "tier 1" level of tech that all factions start at you have some incredibly good weaponry. Which quickly upgrades to heavy duty firepower once you hit a certain level and your faction takes enough resource points. This is counterbalanced by how quickly the faction will get torn to shreds without their real base, and the fact that the faction has mediocre suits. Also, Monolith apparently know one of the secret routes to get into Yantar. So have fun with them running raids on the scientist outpost.

Factions can also respawn. If you lose a base and it isn't reclaimed by anyone for long enough the faction will retake it and spawn new guards and stalkers.

quote:

Renegades aren't just bandits, I guess, they look like outcasts from every member of the different factions, so some look like Clear Sky, a few are wearing duty armor etc...

Renegades are basically the rear end in a top hat version of loners. Think of them as bandits that aren't part of the official "organized crime" style bandit faction. Whereas the bandit faction Stalkers (And you, if you join them.) can and will focus on robbing you if you're neutral renegades are basically just former faction members that will shoot you dead and loot your corpse for any upgrades or other useful items.

They're one of the random spawns that can occur as you level up and get an established game going. Other events I know of include the military starting to try to purge the zone of stalkers starting in cordon, Monolith sending squads south into the zone, and emissions causing all sorts of havoc and spawning fresh waves of monsters every now and then.

quote:

Seriously regardless of the crashes I'm experiencing, everyone needs to play Faction Wars somehow.
I've only gotten a few crashes so far. 3.8's notes mention that it fixes the inevitable crash issues from the warfare scripts though. And I haven't gotten any issues with it being unplayable. I will say however that you need to download the other files in the folder on Mega. The reason being that they fix various issues that the original beta release didn't catch. Everything after the release of the 3.8 beta date-wise should be installed.

It's a shame the mod might not get developed further. It really is one of the best mods in the series. Optimally i'd like to see it rolled into one of those "add all the different levels across the game" mega-mods people have been working on. Preferably with the existing population caps and features appropriately scaled up. With the anomaly, artifact, and stalker and AI features it has it'd basically be the perfect version of Stalker.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 8, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

What does the monolith suicide thing do?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Ddraig posted:

I didn't expect a chopper to be called when I attacked the military outpost :catstare:

The military is a lot more active in Faction Wars. They can send squads out from their base in Cordon, and they randomly do flyovers of other areas outside Cordon. The latter they always seem to time at the worst possible moment. Also if you attack their base they'll send a chopper after you. So it's a good idea to bring a few squads with you and have a RPG or two on hand.

quote:

I have no idea what I'm doing with Faction War. I guess there are these little circle areas scattered around that I can control somehow, but that doesn't seem to be explained anywhere; I also picked up a follower who I have no idea how to command. Tried to join Duty, but I have to do stuff for them first to get them to like me, which is not easy since I didn't start with a gun and even a poo poo gun costs 200 more rubles than I have.

If you read the readme it includes an instruction manual.

The long and short of it though is that yellow circles represent generic locations of no note. At most they're used as a checkpoint. Blue circles represent resource points - IE areas that a faction can use to tech up. When a faction gets enough of them the members get a new tier of gear when reinforcements spawn in. Light blue circles are bases, which are spawn points and increase your maximum faction population.

There's a few hotkeys for followers. They're in the keybind menu. Alternatively you can use a radio. Which you should get anyways when joining a faction since it lets you call the nearest base for help. You start out with no gear unless you join the mercs, which gets you their default package. Mercs are actually your default faction until you get a level since canonically you work for them. At which point if you stay a loner you'll switch to that faction once you level up. Incidentally this means that so long as you haven't gone loner you can rejoin the merc faction without needing to prove yourself.

You start off with cash too. So one thing you might want to try is to buy a fresh hunting rifle and some ammo from the shop of whichever hub you start in. Then go make some supplies for yourself. Alternatively, if you're in a dangerous area like the swamp there will be plenty of corpses and jobs to take that will let you get properly outfitted as a newbie stalker.

Keep in mind that faction wars adds in some new quest givers and shops as well. Certain loners set up shops in areas and act as brokers too. They'll be very useful early on, or if you're wanting to go on long term expeditions deeper into the zone.

Ddraig posted:

With the faction war I can't really see anything that I think I'd like to see added, to be honest. It's very well put together and he's covered a lot of bases with it.

There's a few things. Mostly i'd like to see some sort of expansion of the map. You'd need to scale up the factional stuff like population a little bit but it's possible it could be done. Clear Sky is supposed to represent a time when everyone is cramped in a small area of the zone together, but honestly TFW uses it's own little canon anyways so who cares.

Imagine if there were running ground wars going in Pripyat or the Bar. Especially with the mod makers new system that lets snipers and stealth squads run around being a nuisance. :getin:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 9, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Leif. posted:

So what do I need to do to increase my max squad amounts? I'm playing as the Mercs, and have Yantar Scientist Camp, the purple point in Yantar (Lowlands w/ Artifacts), all four zones of Institute Building B in Agroprom (the three blue ones and the one split one), and the purple point in northern Agroprom (Old Encampment). But, I still have the same 18 total squads I started with? And I'm spread so thin, there's no way I'm going to able to capture the Duty base, which is my next mission. I can't just pull people from Yantar because the Military and Renegades occasionally spawn there. And if I try to attack the Duty compound, a helicopter tends to come and obliterate me.

You don't need all the zones in a base. You just typically need one of them. Having guards at the eastern outpost and break in the wall gives you forewarning of an attack and helps keep the place under your control.

I'd suggest pulling people off of Yantar by ordering them to a rally point in Agroprom, then conducting an assault with the squads. The merc start is the hardest because of issues like this. You're going to have to do a fair amount of shooting yourself, but once your troops get there it'll turn into a proper bloodbath fight.

You only really need the resource point and base in Yantar. And you can always spend some time reclaiming the area if you lose it. Once you take Duty out you've essentially got a chunk of the map sealed off to most factional stalkers.

Duty's base is also a nightmare since if they start to lose ground they seem to be quite willing to pull back and reinforce the place in numbers. And it has proper guardhouses and defenses to boot. Sneaking in and assassinating the defenders before escaping if they do that is advisable. If only to lessen the difficulty of the main assault. Having a sniper rifle is useful for this and can even lure a squad or two out of the base to be ambushed due to them searching for the shooter.

The helicopter isn't necessarily a duty thing. I forget if they're allied with the military in TFW but I don't think so. So if you're good at stealth you can sneak around the compound by staying out of the helicopter's line of sight. No duty member will fire on you while a military helicopter is doing a fly-by, so you can walk up to enemies and pop them.

Just don't be in the middle of a group of living duty troops when it leaves. You'll get gunned down so fast you'll probably wonder what happened.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 11, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Keep in mind that the bandits are the dickheads of the zone. All the poo poo that's trying to kill people, and they go around holding up random loners for cash and goods just because they don't have an affiliated power backing them up.

Of course the garbage loners are going to take a shot at them if they do that. It's a neutral zone. Not a "everyone come party even if you're a cold-blooded murderer/thief" zone.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Is the faction warfare mod for CoC updated for the latest version yet?

Because holy gently caress if so i've found a better post-apocalyptic sim/warfare game than Clear Sky is when modded.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So I tried that faction control guide that got posted on the two pages ago but holy poo poo are there a lot of smart zones to set up. Each map has 10-30 of them.

Linking this poo poo up would probably take longer than waiting for the Warfare patch to come out, assuming it comes out this week. Did anyone have anything on the faction control end set up for personal use though? I really miss Clear Sky's dynamic zone. A look at the zone as it's presented in the files reveals that it can be surprisingly static without faction control online.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

If you want throw it up here. If nothing else it'd be a good resource to see how the code has changed so people who want to enable faction control or do their own thing separate from Warfare can make their own dynamic zone settings.

The guide that was posted is 3 years old and I think the respawn settings have changed since then. So having a reference would probably help.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So the client for the latest CoC patch is showing up as a trojan. Looks like i'm not the only one getting it too. Seems to be conflicting reports of what's up. Anyone else getting similar issues?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Call of Chernobyl 1.5 teaser trailer

http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/videos/call-of-chernobyl-15-teaser

It, uh, looks like CoC with some more stuff added.

I'm kinda waiting for the Call of Misery Post-Release project before I dive back into STALKER but who knows if that's ever coming out lol

Full A-life simulation is huge. If they're adding it in as a feature that probably means that literally the entire zone is running without it lagging. That alone would be worth a new update.

Also, they added in a literal lorebook that you can unlock over 100 articles for. And that video appeared to have a pilotable chopper at one point.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

I'm curious as to what that is going to actually mean. You can already enable full zone simulation, so I wonder what they've changed about it.

They've probably made it so it isn't a buggy mess, given the hundreds of bug fixes mentioned. I noticed I got a ton of crashes with it on at one point, which stopped when I turned it off.

One thing the Faction Wars guy suggested doing at one point is not turning it on since the second anything really deviated from the norm and you had real interactions going on it started to buckle on some systems.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Salean posted:

Best part of the death lamp is seeing people talk about it on the pda chat, dying, having someone else loot that corpse and brag about the find on chat, and coming across that guys corpse with the lamp just waiting for the next victim

Do they actually do this in game, or is it just flavor text?

Because if it's in game and not just fluff then that's hilarious.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Arghy posted:

They had a sock on the door! You walked in on them, GET OUT OF HERE STALKER!

This gets worse when you remember that some psychic enemies like the Controller have an attack that zooms you in on them.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Arrath posted:

I bet the 'ignore conditions' flag only applies to the weapon they spawn with, and he spawned with a pistol but looted the SMG so decided it was better but...it wasn't.

Speaking of which, is there any way to change the "every dropped weapon is a weapon in lovely condition" setting without a mod that probably isn't compatible with escape from pripyat or other big mods? Since not only is it unrealistic as hell, it bogs down gameplay, and has knock on effects that keeps the simulation from working properly like that one.

On top of that it makes no loving sense that I am seemingly the only one in the zone that knows how to clean and maintain a gun when there are dedicated mechanics in each faction base and gun maintenance is easy given the prolific nature of parts available with even a small amount of time in the zone.

I figured that the AI didn't have the hassle of low condition guns jamming but it sounds like they do if they pick one up which is also just profoundly dumb and means that long term survival of any Stalker not being simulated in the background (and also in the background in the case of people finding guns) is liable to drop radically compared to what it was.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 14, 2023

Archonex
May 2, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

See I am not entirely convinced that weapon condition affects enemies or companions like the way you are describing. For instance, you'll often encounter a lone survivor who's an absolute loot pinata because he survived a faction fight and picked up all the dropped guns. I never noticed these dudes being any less lethal even though I'll kill them and find that the weapon they were using was overall low condition and had a shot out barrel. In fact, if I reload a save and fight the encounter multiple times, the condition of dropped gear is randomized so I'm not sure if it's more like condition gets assigned when an enemy drops rather than condition mattering while they are using a weapon.

There's anecdotal evidence either way so I'm not discounting other people's experience but I'd like some confirmation in the code.

As near as I can tell from observing the NPC's closely, the way it appears to work is like this:

NPC's spawn with a gun that is not affected by condition. These guns are almost always in a state where they should never be able to fire regularly, and often aren't even fit to take into a firefight.

If they pick up a gun in the direct play simulation condition matters (i've seen this once or twice) if they decide to equip it in the direct play portion of the sim where they're loaded in to player view. This is a big one, as loot pinata's aren't really a good metric for it overall since they can get that stuff through the sim or a lucky zone to zone movement by the player. This also means it's hard to track a NPC with this since whoops every single gun is some degree of shittily maintained. Which means with the high lethality nature of the gameplay most Stalkers will die shortly after picking up the statistically better but conditionally worse gun unless they have ablative armor in the form of teammates or some other situation that keeps them alive.

It's possible that at some point during the off screen alife sim picked up guns become cond immune or resistant guns for npc usage if the gun is equipped during the time when the game checks for NPC's with faulty guns that will absolutely get them killed. This ends if the gun drops and is picked up, as it's probably (I can't say for certain since I haven't checked whatever code is there.) a flag on the NPC itself that gets checked once in a blue moon. See step two for how this gets addressed over time, unless you're the type to hang out in a zone regularly.

Even assuming that is not accurate it's...not a good system, to be clear. Not only does the way things work now prejudice the game in favor of the NPC's (and they have all sorts of perks already), it doesn't even make sense in terms of game mechanics, takes away a level of complexity the game would have otherwise, and kind of drags the experience down by making it CDDA levels of tedious menu micromanagement that isn't optimized for quickness of use at all. At the very least rookies should be towing junk guns around and as stalkers get more experienced they get better cond on the guns, since that would be in line with the progression of a Stalker and open up the AI progression a bit more for the sim.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 14, 2023

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Arrath posted:

What the gently caress do UNISG guys have short range blink or some kind of psy-duplication powers? I know SIN have shields but I just ran into two UNISG master guys who were disappearing from existence each time I hit one.

e: Yup. Its like shooting Goku, blast 'em and they instant transmission a few feet to the side. Annoying bastards.

Do you get these abilities in Gamma too if you roll UNISG because this sounds hilariously fun.

Just rolling the dice every time i'm in a dense anomaly field and my character takes a hit.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 31, 2023

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Namnesor posted:

No warp shenanigans for you, I'm afraid.

Is there an artifact that does it? Because i'd just cheat it in to be on par with other UNISG special forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Holy crap, the new UNSIG are all kinds of bullshit.

Do you get whatever bullshit abilities they have if you start as UNSIG? Because that's the litmus test for a well thought out mod. Older mods used to do this with Monolith sometimes but it seems like the newer overhauls just make them tough to force an arbitrary challenge that the player can't also be a part of for the AI.